Who is using stock red/back speaker cables for their mid/high end MM speakers

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deavenger said:
btw do you want to do the power cable for me?? still thinking about it as the hissing still there.. i went to the creativex and that guy told me its because i turn my pc volume to full tts why i get the hissing sound.. at first i believe and tried.. but then even when my pc is off .. there is still that sound..

No problem BUT I can’t guarantee it will resolve your hissing problem.

What a shielded power cord will do is to minimised noise interference from external source like your AC adaptor & etc. However if the problem starts from the upper chain like your power-strip, you have not address the root of your problem.

Try this. Unplug your interconnect from the PC to your sub & try again. This will eliminate the possibility of a ground loop from your PC side. If it still hiss, use a long extension cord & try other 3 pin wall sockets. If the hiss is still there, the problem most probably your powercord.

Not that I don't want to earn your $$$ but I also want a satisfied customer.

Phil

ISS

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
What you said is true too because e impact of noise will be higher. But other than that, the longer speaker cable has far more problems on top of this. Anyway, there are many school of thoughts involved. But at the end of the day remember there is no pointing spending too much on MM speakers because they are not meant for serious listening.

Phil
Actually, speaker cable length doesn't really matter unless you are talking about very long lengths. I was talking about lengths like 2-5m of speaker cables. Are you referring to cables of 20-30m long?

oracle00

Reaction score
Philip said:
OMG, your cables & plugs are badly oxidised. Plus algae are growing too.. This is bad man..

I will need to check whether the speaker cable is damaged. If those green **** grows inside the cable. Its time to say bye bye to it.

For a start you might like to clean up all your binding post with contact cleaner.

I will recommend re-terminating the speaker cable with solder type banana plugs.

If u have the budget I will recommend new speaker cable using Canare 4S11 biwire cable with special quad star geometry. $5/m. Used by many 3rd party branded cable out there.

The interconnect looks pretty ok. Just some polishing will do. But if u want to try some inexpensive model. Can try out e Belden 89259 terminated with Canare F10. Material cost start at $42 for 1m pair.

Phil

yo bro... can gimme a quote for the re-termination of my speaker cables? assuming no need to replace them... what solder-type banana plugs is good and would not oxidise one? i can meet u to pass u the cables :D

s1eck

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
If you are too loaded.. can get the super branded one like those rhodium Cardas plug. But since its a 4s11, I would recommend affordable gold plated plug. I'm using some I got from Farnell & it has not oxidised even after 3 years.

Phil

I go for performance/price ratio. Are the bananas and spades from Farnell solderable ones?

I have seen your work on the DIY powerstrip,very nicely done.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ISS said:
Actually, speaker cable length doesn't really matter unless you are talking about very long lengths. I was talking about lengths like 2-5m of speaker cables. Are you referring to cables of 20-30m long?

I'm speaking in general.

oracle00 said:
yo bro... can gimme a quote for the re-termination of my speaker cables? assuming no need to replace them... what solder-type banana plugs is good and would not oxidise one? i can meet u to pass u the cables :D

For e time being I will charge $10 flat rate for service charge for 2 piece or less. The more cables, better economic of scale, less transport & etc so will be cheaper.

Real gold plated one will do. Would recommend those from Farnell. Cost around $3 or less per piece if I remember correctly.

s1eck said:
I go for performance/price ratio. Are the bananas and spades from Farnell solderable ones?

I have seen your work on the DIY powerstrip,very nicely done.

Farnell got both type. If the wire is thick then use crimp type, else I recommend solder, more durable contact & helps to prevent e copper from oxidising. Thanks for your compliment.

Phil

oracle00

Reaction score
ok bro.. me onz... so mine will be 2 speaker cables and 8 banana plugs... so my cost will be 30+? can help me get contact cleaner as well?

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oracle00 said:
ok bro.. me onz... so mine will be 2 speaker cables and 8 banana plugs... so my cost will be 30+? can help me get contact cleaner as well?

I will PM you with the exact quote once I confirm the price of the banana plugs. BTW, you will need 12. I don't recommend bear wire at the amp side. Because its going to toast your amp if the wire become lose & short circuit. But the choice is yours. Let me know again.

Phil

oracle00

Reaction score
Philip said:
I will PM you with the exact quote once I confirm the price of the banana plugs. BTW, you will need 12. I don't recommend bear wire at the amp side. Because its going to toast your amp if the wire become lose & short circuit. But the choice is yours. Let me know again.

Phil

oh yah.. forgot abt the other side.. only counting the speaker side =:p . will wait for ur pm

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Philip said:
No problem BUT I can’t guarantee it will resolve your hissing problem.

What a shielded power cord will do is to minimised noise interference from external source like your AC adaptor & etc. However if the problem starts from the upper chain like your power-strip, you have not address the root of your problem.

Try this. Unplug your interconnect from the PC to your sub & try again. This will eliminate the possibility of a ground loop from your PC side. If it still hiss, use a long extension cord & try other 3 pin wall sockets. If the hiss is still there, the problem most probably your powercord.

Not that I don't want to earn your $$$ but I also want a satisfied customer.

Phil

if i change the interconnect cables.. will it help?? if yes what brand should i buy??

dethangel

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Correct me if i'm wrong.. but its due to the quality of components used in the MW550 itself that causes the hiss.

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deavenger said:
if i change the interconnect cables.. will it help?? if yes what brand should i buy??

What you need to do now is to troubleshoot to isolate the root of e problem before u consider the remedy. U can overhaul all the cables but it does not address the issue if they are not the culprit. Plus very soft hissing is normal for all speakers. But if you can hear it 1 to 2m away then I think something is wrong.

dethangel said:
Correct me if i'm wrong.. but its due to the quality of components used in the MW550 itself that causes the hiss.

Hissing is a complicated problem. There are many reasons why speaker hiss. Noisy power supply, ground loops, interference, loose or corroded contacts are just some of the possibilities.

Recently my center hiss too but it goes away after I switch my speaker off.

Phil

Deavenger

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmm ..let me clarify.. my spearkers dun hiss when i off.. i have already rearranged my speakers.. they are no longer on my table.. it is 2 m away from me.. still can hear the hiss when mw control is at three leds on..

AhHuat

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my mw do hiss when i listen closely...
when 1-2m away cant hear it....
with 3leds on too

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Deavenger said:
hmm ..let me clarify.. my spearkers dun hiss when i off.. i have already rearranged my speakers.. they are no longer on my table.. it is 2 m away from me.. still can hear the hiss when mw control is at three leds on..

U mean off your PC?

That is not right for sure.

Based on your description, sounds like the hissing originate from your source.

Try this.. disconnect the stereo pin from the PC & connect to your walkman. discman, MP3 & etc etc. Does it hiss?

Phil

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
banana.jpg

Gold plated 4mm banana plug

spade.jpg

Gold plated spade

cord.jpg

My DIY power cord (sleeve jacket is optional)

Philip

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ragnarok95 said:
Phil...cant wait for you to help me fix up the cables :D

Yours will be using e better Canare 4S11 (http://www.canare.com/index.cfm?objectid=ED10B882-3048-7098-AF6C24CDB73FA68E)

These cables use the same Canare 4S11 Star quad cable used in high quality "Live sound" applications. It has a special PE Conductor insulation (dielectric) which is much better at resisting oxidation over a long period of time than pvc, and has a consistant combination of low capacitance, low inductance, and low series resistance. It consists of 4 - 14 AWG conductors in a "quad helix" geometry. Wired in the "Star Quad" fashion (2 - 14 AWG conductors per polarity) inductance is lower than many "exotic" high end cables and it generally has far lower capacitance. 11AWG is also excellent at allowing long cable runs with low resistance.

4-Conductor Speaker Cable
Four-conductor configuration minimizes noise and polyethylene insulation reduces induction rate to boost frequency characteristics.
APPLICATIONS
* PA SYSTEMS
* HI-FI SPEAKERS
* DC POWER LINES
FEATURES
* SUPER FLEXIBILITY, EVEN IN SUB-ZERO WEATHER
* STAR QUAD DESIGN REDUCES EMI NOISE
* LOW CAPACITANCE & RESISTANCE

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.