A FAQ for Starting/Buying a Digital Camera

mt_1809

Reaction score
Digital IXUS i vs Digital IXUS IIs vs Powershot A75 vs Powershot A80 vs Powershot A300 vs Powershot A310. which is beta? or ur hv other suggestions. my budget not more den 600. den hope is other color den silver. tt is all

Last edited:

darkchoc

Reaction score
Kenshin79 said:
A FAQ on starting/buying a digital camera

d) Equipment cleaning, maintenance and storage
It is always good to invest in a set of cleaning kit for your camera. Dirt, dust and dirty fingers are unavoidable. Anti-static cloth, dust blower with brush and lens tissue are common kits sufficient to most users. Avoid using too much alcoholic solution or it may spoil your lens.

Also advisable to store equipment in cool dry places – having a dry cabinet, you not only can keep prevent moisture from spoiling your camera, but you can also keep documents and other precious stuffs away from decay.

If a dry cabinet is too expensive, consider getting a dry box or air-tight box costing only a fraction. Furthermore, getting a bottle of silica gel cost only a few dollars.

Never overlook the importance of cleaning, storage and maintenance issues – you would not want your cam to be sent for repairs unnecessarily, right?!

A personal recommendation
For dry cabinet, check out the ones at Carrefour, quite cheap and good enough for most DC. Otherwise, most cam shops have standard good ones.

For dry box, the cost depends on the size. A recommendation is the brand "Unique" Dry Pack Case, available in most cam shops, even photo-developing shops. The smallest cost about $15 only, and the good thing is that it comes with a camera holding function such that your camera is not tossed about it the box when you have to shift the box about. For silica gel, you can get a big bottle of it for only $4 at Carrefour, enough to last for a few years.

could anyone tell me how to use the silica gel with the dry box? sorry if this sounds like a silly qn cos i'm completely unfamiliar with dry boxes. planning to get one for my digital camera after i came across this article. also, does anyone know which place definitely sells the "Unique" Dry Pack Case as recommended in the article? thanks! :)

wyeng_09

Reaction score
darkchoc said:
could anyone tell me how to use the silica gel with the dry box? sorry if this sounds like a silly qn cos i'm completely unfamiliar with dry boxes. planning to get one for my digital camera after i came across this article. also, does anyone know which place definitely sells the "Unique" Dry Pack Case as recommended in the article? thanks! :)
just put the silica gel (tiny beads like thingy) in the box..it absorbs moisture..beads 9purple in colour) will turn pink after absorbing moisture.. i think you can try it in an oven (or sun dry it?) to remove the moisture and reuse it after that..

chengee

Reaction score
US prices tend to be much lower because bundles are not that popular over there so taking into account accessories cost is important too

chengee

Reaction score
There seems to be a heavy focus on the features that a camera offers rather than the actual photo taking experience offered by the camera here in these forums. IMHO, the follow should also be considered

1) Out of camera photo quality - e.g. amt of post processing needed
2) Handling - e.g. Canon A series easier to hold than Ixus
3) focusing and and shutter lag - e.g Sony comes out best
4) Shooting speed -
5) Focusing Accuracy
6) color rentention (WB issues)

jestin_ng

Reaction score
heh.. Need some advices regarding the digital cameras. Simply got *blurred* with all kinds/brands of digcams.. Previously using this Nikon Coolpix 2500, but its getting too old..

The camera is for personal use, budget around S$700+-. Wanted to get something sleek and light. Any suggestions?

MUSTANGPC

Reaction score
ANY ADVICE IS GREATLY APPRECIATED

In General said:
Hi Fellows.. Need some advice regarding digital cameras. Simply got *blurred* with all kinds/brands of digcams..
The camera is for personal use, budget around S$700+-. Wanted to get something sleek and light. Any suggestions?

I saw this Exilim EX-P600 going for $690 +GST - What do readers think of this camera. It has got alot of features which some present cameras do not have. I would appreciate your advice. Cheers :D

You'll be asking why am I up at 5am - just can't sleep. So I browse Photoi. :)

Last edited:

phatomboy

Reaction score
jestin_ng said:
heh.. Need some advices regarding the digital cameras. Simply got *blurred* with all kinds/brands of digcams.. Previously using this Nikon Coolpix 2500, but its getting too old..

I'm oso looking for a new cam with ur budget.
currently look at CoolPix $5900 and Canon PowerShot A95
both hv gt gd review online so still duno wat to choose.
Suggest and comment anyone?

juxtom

Banned
Reaction score
phatomboy said:
I'm oso looking for a new cam with ur budget.
currently look at CoolPix $5900 and Canon PowerShot A95
both hv gt gd review online so still duno wat to choose.
Suggest and comment anyone?
Between these 2, the reviews seem to favour PowerShot A95 (etc. HWZ)

Try dpreview.com

n0d3

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Not really if you use it often. Just store it in a dry place and take it out for a spin once in a while. And besides, a dry box is quite cheap/easy to maintain. Just get an airtight box and some silica gel.

anyerlong

Reaction score
9N1Y9N1Y said:
which brand is considered more worth while n budget friendly?
there are a lots of brand and price range, take out your requirement then sure you will find one.

ZarakiKPC

Reaction score
indeed. budget of 300-500 for 2MP camera would likely mean camera phone nowadays :x

ahwei86

Banned
Reaction score
y wide angle lens or wide capture bigger gd? my fren recommend me buy camera must check out those wide capture one

runhui2539

Reaction score
hi guys, i'm going to europe for a holiday. i need a camera for my travelling. Any cameras to recommend ? my budget is ard 800. prefered brand is canon...

rihhana

Reaction score
actually i think someone should do a simple guide book and pdf it and attach it to the top header le... how to go through so manny pages of inividual posts >.<

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.