The Unofficial HWZ Surviving DVD Media Durability Scan Thread

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Now that the discussion is over, should we delete the posts so that this thread is cleaner?

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
June 2004, Mitsubishi Pearl 4x -R (probably oversped at 8x IIRC),

mit4xjune2004scan4li.png

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
2 of my more precious discs with >4GB:

Red/Purple MCC 2x -R Singapore burnt in April 2004
mcc00rg20019april20049es.gif

Fujifilm TY 8x -R burnt in November 2004
tyg0219november20041rq.gif

Scanned another TY 8x -R but forgot to save, similar graph nonetheless.
No point scanning the rest as I believe the few of them will have similar results.

Now scanning discs recordered @ <1x by DVD recorder and stored in "normal" conditions and not the cabinet with lowered temperature and humidity.

Last edited:

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
M-Star MCC 2x -R, the date stated is 3 July 2003 which I think is wrong. This disc contains Resident Evil movie recorded off TV.
mstarmcc00rg2003july20036jp.jpg

Scans like this make me wonder what's the point of dehumidifiers. But I don't take chances.

EDIT: Oh crap I saved the wrong pic. The speed scan was like those above.

Last edited:

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Feb 2005, Prodisc F02 silver top - just 7 months old and it looks like crap! No CRC error on copying the data off the disc though.

prodiscf02scan5ey.png

latecomer

Reaction score
thanks for all the efford maclipper. it's really useful for newbs like me. i don't even understand what these terms mean, PI, jitter etc. have to go read up. but like u said, i'm more interested in making sure the data can be accessed like say 6months to 1 year down the road.

i dunno if it's just me, but my normal cd-rs i burn have easily lasted me more than 1 year (i'm saying i can still read the data, dunno about any graphs), and that's why i'm still so hesitant about buying a dvd burner. hopefully this thread will allay my fears? :)

wwenze

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
latecomer said:
thanks for all the efford maclipper. it's really useful for newbs like me. i don't even understand what these terms mean, PI, jitter etc. have to go read up. but like u said, i'm more interested in making sure the data can be accessed like say 6months to 1 year down the road.

i dunno if it's just me, but my normal cd-rs i burn have easily lasted me more than 1 year (i'm saying i can still read the data, dunno about any graphs), and that's why i'm still so hesitant about buying a dvd burner. hopefully this thread will allay my fears? :)

I've had more CD deaths than DVD deaths, but that's probably due to more and slightly lower quality discs being used and longer time since burn.

This thread proves good DVD discs last even under room conditions. Cheap DVDs are not assured. But as long as you use good discs and handle them properly, expect at least a year or two of lifespan.

Wolfaro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Jan 2005 TDK DVD + R 8x (Burn using TDK 1612)
Normal Storage
TDKDVDR8x.jpg

TDKDVDR8x2.jpg

Last edited:

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
latecomer said:

To make things really simple for casual readers, you can roughly guage the quality of a disc burn by its Quality Score shown at the bottom right corner of the screen shot.

A perfect disc scan scores 100.

Wolfaro, rather nasty high PIEs on your 8 month young TDK RicohR02 scan (which original burner?), is the read curve OK or even smooth? From experience, BenQ burners are good readers so you may still get a perfectly smooth curve like what I had with my DaxonAZ2 scan posted above.

ralph79

Reaction score
MacClipper said:
Sept 2004, Imation 8x (RicohR02)

Mac, i realised the PIE suddenly increases halfway thru the disc. Even for my case, when I scan my RICOHJPNR02, burnt on 1616N, on my 1640 it the same outcome as yours. Any idea why it is so?

Last edited:

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mine was probably burned on the TDK 1616N as well and if you know that burner, it uses z-CLV for 12x burning speeds (for RicohR02). At each step up in burning speed in z-CLV, the burner has to create links (something like BURN proof technology) and chances for errors are also increased at high speeds as well.

You can see this Freaks post for a burn curve and compare it to the spots where error levels probably correspondingly increase, click.

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Feb 2005, original Ricoh 8x Gold R02 - never did really like these cos they seem inferior to other RicohR02s eg. TDK and Imation discs. Strange that they supply superior grades to their OEM partners and keep the junky ones for their own retail packaging.

ricohr02scan5dc.png

ralph79

Reaction score
oh that explains why the sudden increase in PIE on my scans. Thanx Mac. :D

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
March 2005, original silvertop Taiyo Yuden 8x overspeed burn (prob 12x), few days short of 6 months old tho.

yudent02scan1rl.png

Wolfaro

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MacClipper said:
To make things really simple for casual readers, you can roughly guage the quality of a disc burn by its Quality Score shown at the bottom right corner of the screen shot.

A perfect disc scan scores 100.

Wolfaro, rather nasty high PIEs on your 8 month young TDK RicohR02 scan (which original burner?), is the read curve OK or even smooth? From experience, BenQ burners are good readers so you may still get a perfectly smooth curve like what I had with my DaxonAZ2 scan posted above.

Original Burner was TDK 1612

Added Benchmark to my previous post

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks, Wolf.

OK, here's an interesting scenario. Check out the 1st 2 pics and decide if this disc is a goner.

Early POFs!
ritekg05scanbenq9je.png

Read error!
ritekg05transferbenq4sq.png

What do you think?

Last edited:

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Well, this pic shows that it is actually not but I wouldn't buy any more of this stuff nonetheless. Hint: the LG reads the disc at a lower speed so it is more tolerant in reading poorer burns so if one slows down the BenQ burner (using Nero DriveSpeed), the disc may still read OK.

ritekg05transferlg6tp.png

Last edited:

eleewhm

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
at last something from me in this thread :D:D

a burn done on 15 dec 2004...scanned last yr

benq1620burn505qg.jpg

same disc..scanned today...about 9 months...later ...
benq1620burn50rescan6sep20055s.jpg

so no degrade...hehe..CMC leh...can make it lor......all my stuffs burnt are impt to me..

Last edited:

Alphas

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have been using verbatim 5 colours pastel DVDR, so far quality is excellent and cheap. No coasters no bad disc, eleewhm i dun understand why u said the QC is bad.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.