View Single Post
Old 04-12-2005, 03:58 PM   #25
afbug1
Master Member

Alessandro Music Series One (MS1)
MSRP: SGD$170 from Alessandro’s webpage.
Package includes: MS1 and 6.3mm adaptor.

Design/cord:
Alessandros are made by Grado Labs, they have the same design as Grados. The MS1 features a vented diaphragm design that incorporates a large air chamber. This design lowers the frequency resonance (distortion) of the diaphragm and extends bass response. They’re open and super-aural designed, featuring ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper voice coils. Noise leaks in and out easily, so it is recommended to be used in a quiet environment.

The headband is a piece of metal encase in a PVC leather cover. It can be stretched or compress to fit. The drivers are housed in a plastic enclosure and are attached to a piece of metal rod; enabling them to swivel 360 degrees. The rod is then locked onto a piece of plastic box that is attached at the ends of the headband. The entire package is very light.

The drivers are attached to a super thick and heavy 2m long copper cord connected to a gold plated 3.5mm straight shaped mini plug. The Y junction/split is also bigger than usual. Its impedance is 32 ohms, easily driven by portable players but will benefit being driven by a headphone amplifier. The MS1 is shipped with a pair of comflies (Normal) pads.

Sound Quality:

Built Quality:
They are not what you will call robust and are certainly more delicate than most other brands. Looks and feel are not the main priority I guess. It sure looks and feels cheap with all that plastic and PVC leather. Most of the parts are held together by hot glue and my MS1 cable is secured to the cups by cable ties! One hard tug, it slips and might break the solder connection. Surprisingly, the SR80’s cable is secured by hot melt glue.

Comfort:
There are many complains about the fit of Grados but it is comfortable for me. I like how they sit on my head and ears. The foam pads used also affects the comfort. It is also better if you got some hair to cushion your head. If you’re balding or botak, better wear a cap or get a Beyer headband cover, if not its skull crunching time!

Conclusion:
At SGD$170, same as a SR80, I can’t see why one will pick a SR80 over the MS1, maybe someone who likes a brighter sound or a Grado fan would. Like the SR80, the MS1 excels in Rock and Metal music. It does vocals fairly well too. It is all down to preference I guess. I very much prefer the MS1 to the SR80 anytime.

If your music tastes and preference are similar to mine and want to buy these brands of headphones, you might consider these models; MS1, SR225 and MS2i. Grado’s Reference Series and the Grado Statement 1000 will be another matter. Please refer to the headphone forums for more info about them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Grado SR80 (Prestige Series)
MSRP: SGD$170 from Music By Design.
Package includes: SR80 and 6.3mm adaptor.

Design/cord:

Sound Quality:

Built Quality:
Same as the Alessandro Music Series One!

Comfort:
Same as the Alessandro Music Series One!

Conclusion:

Last edited by afbug1; 27-04-2006 at 07:51 PM..
afbug1 is online now   Reply With Quote