Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Etymōtic Research ER•4P

Etymōtic Research ER•4P MicroPro Insert Earphones
MSRP: USD$200. Cheaper online; from US retailers.
Package includes: ER•4 MicroPro earphones, 6.3mm stereo adapter, Six 3-flange eartips, 10 foam eartips, Filter changing tool, 4 replacement filters, Shirt clip, Pouch and Storage box.

Box with the accessories; Shirt clip, 6.3mm adaptor, Filter changing tool and filters in the transparent tube.
DSC02266640x480.jpg

Design/cord:

Sound Quality:

Same case as ER6i's, a little too small for a ER4 and the black foams.
DSC02267640x480.jpg

Built Quality:

Comfort:

DSC02293640x480.jpg

Conclusion:

ER4P fitted with Shure Soft Flex tips. (Small) What a green barrel! Looks like a toy earphone.
DSC02264640x480.jpg

Last edited:

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Your only choice will be EP630. No others can match a EX71 in bass quantity, only a EP630 can.
but it a Y cord headfone rite? i prefer neck chain type....

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
emm.. i'm using H10.. i tried HJE 50 and 70 at sitex.. but nt too happy wif the sound.. the treble is too hush.. or mayb i didnt get a gd seal...

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Differences and converting a Shure/Etymotic triflange to a biflange

Differences and converting a Shure/Etymotic triflange to a biflange

DSC02243640x480.jpg

Differences of the two triflanges
Shure and Etymotic triflange; both are of the same colour and material but there are some differences. In the photo above, on the left is the Shure triflange, the middle one is the Etymotic triflange and lastly on the right, a converted Shure biflange. From the photo, you can tell that the Shure triflange has a stalk/stem while the Etymotic ones have almost no or very short stalk/stem. On the touch, the Etymotic ones are a little softer than the Shure’s, making them more comfortable for me. Both are about the same size but I think the Etymotic ones look slightly bigger. I can’t really tell.

DSC02239320x240.jpg
DSC02241320x240.jpg

Converting them from triflange to biflange
So how do you convert a triflange to a biflange? The procedure is the same for both brands. Just use a pair of sharp scissors and snip off the top/smallest flange. Invert the top/smallest flange for an easy and more precise cut. That’s it!

Mounting them onto Westones
To mount them onto a pair of Westones, it is a little different for both brands as the design of the UM1/2 earpiece requires a stalk/stem to elevate the tip from the body.

DSC02242640x480.jpg

Etymotic triflanges have no or little stalk/stem. Use the snipped off top/smallest flange as a stalk/stem. As shown in the photo, just insert them onto the nozzle first, followed by the biflange. To use them as a triflange, you have to fashion a stalk/stem for it but it is very unlikely that a triflange will fit your ears or produce the best sound. It is or will be too long for many users.

The stalk/stem of the Shure triflange/biflange is simply too long for most users on the Westones. You will not want the earpiece to protrude out of your ears and they’re not design like this anyway. So you have to shorten it, normally flushed with the largest/bottom flange or slightly longer/protruding. Again, just use a pair of scissors!

Last edited:

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Alessandro Music Series One (MS1)
MSRP: SGD$170 from Alessandro’s webpage.
Package includes: MS1 and 6.3mm adaptor.

DSC02124640x480.jpg

Design/cord:
Alessandros are made by Grado Labs, they have the same design as Grados. The MS1 features a vented diaphragm design that incorporates a large air chamber. This design lowers the frequency resonance (distortion) of the diaphragm and extends bass response. They’re open and super-aural designed, featuring ultra-high purity, long crystal (UHPLC) oxygen free copper voice coils. Noise leaks in and out easily, so it is recommended to be used in a quiet environment.

The headband is a piece of metal encase in a PVC leather cover. It can be stretched or compress to fit. The drivers are housed in a plastic enclosure and are attached to a piece of metal rod; enabling them to swivel 360 degrees. The rod is then locked onto a piece of plastic box that is attached at the ends of the headband. The entire package is very light.

The drivers are attached to a super thick and heavy 2m long copper cord connected to a gold plated 3.5mm straight shaped mini plug. The Y junction/split is also bigger than usual. Its impedance is 32 ohms, easily driven by portable players but will benefit being driven by a headphone amplifier. The MS1 is shipped with a pair of comflies (Normal) pads.

Sound Quality:

DSC02134640x480.jpg

Built Quality:
They are not what you will call robust and are certainly more delicate than most other brands. Looks and feel are not the main priority I guess. It sure looks and feels cheap with all that plastic and PVC leather. Most of the parts are held together by hot glue and my MS1 cable is secured to the cups by cable ties! One hard tug, it slips and might break the solder connection. Surprisingly, the SR80’s cable is secured by hot melt glue.

Comfort:
There are many complains about the fit of Grados but it is comfortable for me. I like how they sit on my head and ears. The foam pads used also affects the comfort. It is also better if you got some hair to cushion your head. If you’re balding or botak, better wear a cap or get a Beyer headband cover, if not its skull crunching time!

Conclusion:
At SGD$170, same as a SR80, I can’t see why one will pick a SR80 over the MS1, maybe someone who likes a brighter sound or a Grado fan would. Like the SR80, the MS1 excels in Rock and Metal music. It does vocals fairly well too. It is all down to preference I guess. I very much prefer the MS1 to the SR80 anytime.

If your music tastes and preference are similar to mine and want to buy these brands of headphones, you might consider these models; MS1, SR225 and MS2i. Grado’s Reference Series and the Grado Statement 1000 will be another matter. Please refer to the headphone forums for more info about them.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Grado SR80 (Prestige Series)
MSRP: SGD$170 from Music By Design.
Package includes: SR80 and 6.3mm adaptor.

DSC02114640x480.jpg

Design/cord:

Sound Quality:

DSC02118640x480.jpg

Built Quality:
Same as the Alessandro Music Series One!

Comfort:
Same as the Alessandro Music Series One!

Conclusion:

Last edited:

acidjuice13

Reaction score
meet_nanda said:
...I seriously started doubting about iPod's sound quality now. My Samsung YH820 sounded very good with lots of details and balaced sound, not to mention SRS WOW, which sounded wonderful to ears. Now, I'm wondering if this is the right upgrade. .

i think u just did yourself a downgrade of your player... ipod already well known for its weak sound anywhere in the world..

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
meet_nanda said:
afbug1!!! Thanks for your efforts and great review! I was having Samsung YH820 5GB player, paired with MX550 buds all this while and upgraded it with the new video iPod last week.

I did not have any idea how iPods sound. I'm quite disappointed with iPod's sound quality. There is no life in the sound. When used with my MX550, the treble is too high and no bass at all, even in bass boost setting. When I tried with the bundled apple ear buds, there is no treble and bass is muddy. Then, I tried with my friend's EX71 and it has too much of bass. I mean, there is no balance between bass and treble, and I'm not comfortable with in-ear phones.

I seriously started doubting about iPod's sound quality now. My Samsung YH820 sounded very good with lots of details and balaced sound, not to mention SRS WOW, which sounded wonderful to ears. Now, I'm wondering if this is the right upgrade. I still have some belief that all the ear buds I have tried does not match with iPod's frequency. I'll give it a last try with MDR888, which is praised by everyone, including you. Do you think MDR888 will sound good with iPod? or is it just the iPod's sound quality not good enough?

If my iPod does not sound good with MDR888, I'm planning to get rid of it and get iAudio X5 or Samsung YHJ70, which seems to be very good alternatives. It was just the design and screen of iPod, which drove me crazy to buy apple!

I'm eagerly awaiting for a detailed review on MDR888 from you before I buy it, Thanks.

E888 on thw way. :s22: I think it will work just fine with an iPod but yes, iAudio will sound better.

kazuki666 said:
Meaning after 50hrs then slowly switch to whatever higher vol according to personal listening preference???

There are no specific methods or time period to burn in. 50 hrs is an estimate only. Some belief in it, some dun. I believe burning in occurs in dynamic drivers; earphones and headphones. For balanced armature drivers; some IEMs, i dun believe in burn in. Its up to the individual.

http://www6.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=58157

Mourinho said:
thanks thanks. but is there a possibility that its spoil?

No idea? Try and see if you can get bass, if not prob a dud. Approach panny or your dealer.

Your EQ question:

From left to right: Bass->midrange->treble.

Mourinho

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
No idea? Try and see if you can get bass, if not prob a dud. Approach panny or your dealer.

Your EQ question:

From left to right: Bass->midrange->treble.

i've done some settings to the equaliser and now i finallly can hear some bass. :s13:

maybe its just that my MuVo is not powerful enough to fully utilize the power of the earphone.

time to change a new player i guess :D

Last edited:

meet_nanda

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
When is the MDR-888 review coming in? Eagerly waiting! :D

Do you know any places where they sell MDR-888SP? Thanks.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
meet_nanda said:
When is the MDR-888 review coming in? Eagerly waiting! :D

Do you know any places where they sell MDR-888SP? Thanks.

Later tonite when i get home and finish typing. E888SP? I think very rare already. All i see is LP version. You can try your luck at the Sony Sq at Funan but a bit more ex than Bluetin i think. Bluetin is online store based in SG. I think they dun have the SP version. Do a search for their site.

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any1 knows the cheapest place to get the hje-50?
seems like everywhere i go its still 59 with the 5 dollars coffe bean voucher

Mourinho

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
KWSW said:
any1 knows the cheapest place to get the hje-50?
seems like everywhere i go its still 59 with the 5 dollars coffe bean voucher

i got mine recently from w3cube.

S$55 with the $5 coffee bean voucher.

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Mourinho said:
i got mine recently from w3cube.

S$55 with the $5 coffee bean voucher.

where is that shop?
is it at SLS?

KWSW

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok thanks...

would SLS be cheaper?
thinking of going down tmr evening

Mourinho

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
KWSW said:
ok thanks...

would SLS be cheaper?
thinking of going down tmr evening

i read some post saying that SLS is cheaper.

but for me, i think $55 is ok and with the $5 coffee bean voucher. its only $50.

and i remember that the posts mention that SLS selling at $49. so, not much diff. :)

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Both should be the same earphones but different cord design. The cheaper one is the normal neck chain one. The more ex is those that you can hang your player on your neck.
Thanks again.:)

OMG! Your review of the E888 sounds too gd liaoz. :s12:
But hor, anyone know if there are any chances of finding the Made in Japan pair instead?

meet_nanda

Master Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
E888 review up. :o

Thanks afbug1!! Excellent review, which now gives me confident to go out and buy MDR-888 tomorrow. 100 hours break-in time? :s31: Hmmm... seems I should connect it to my home system and play for 5 hours daily for about 2 weeks. Thanks again! :)

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
kazuki666 said:
Thanks again.:)

OMG! Your review of the E888 sounds too gd liaoz. :s12:
But hor, anyone know if there are any chances of finding the Made in Japan pair instead?

The E888 is only effective in quiet environments. Outdoors, its SQ will suffer, you'll be better off with some in-ears. Unless you manage to find some attachments like Griffin's Earjams to convert it into an in-ear. But i dunno if it will fit a E888 and SQ will be affected.

Japan pair in SG? lol! Virtually impossible to buy 1st hand these days. Your best bet is a 2nd hand pair. Even the E888SP version is hard to get, let alone a Japan pair. If i'm not wrong, those avaliable now are made in philippines or china.

But you can try your luck in Tokyo's electronic district, might be able to find one. :o

meet_nanda said:
Thanks afbug1!! Excellent review, which now gives me confident to go out and buy MDR-888 tomorrow. 100 hours break-in time? Hmmm... seems I should connect it to my home system and play for 5 hours daily for about 2 weeks. Thanks again! :)

Before you go and buy one, i have to remind you that my tastes and opinons differ from some. It might not please you. And given iPod's lower bass output, it might sound a bit thin. Unless you use it with a Shuffle or 5G iPod.

Last edited:

kazuki666

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I tot so too.:p Only a wild try.:D

Oh. I am currently using iPod Shuffle. U mean its gd or bad?
I was still thinking to get a new player to replace it, just that i have yet to find a suitable one.(OT: recommendations anyone?)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.