Expected salary of Security Professional

Lokimack

Reaction score
ksc133 said:
beri true,,,,, do not let those HR *******s,,,,,press yr price down.,,,,,
HR pppl r just some cheap stakes.... :D

I think that's a sweeping statement to make. HR folks also have their work targets to keep attrition rate down. By saving a bit up front and losing the valued staff later, just dun make sense to a HR professional. Think about the training and mentoring already spent on the staff. Think also about the recruitment cost for replacement and loss of productivity when the staff goes into ROD mood. :eek:

hj

Reaction score
You may want to get a hold of the SPH CareerGuide 2006.

It has salary surveys in the front section and also has a IT & Telco section which tells you what educational & training requirements companies are looking at for various IT positions.

Saw it in Times Bookshop today at $6.90.

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
Well, Im not saying that I am applying for deployment jobs. Its just that I keep getting calls from agencies asking if I know these skills. Obviously, none of them read my resume thoroughly. :s27:

Csy: The sad truth is recruiters don't have a clue what security operations mean?? Their perception of Security ops is again deploying, maintaining and installing FW/IDS :s22:

csy71 said:
u cannot blame these recruiter lah, from wat u explain i will just take u as doing security operation and monitoring, u shall not focus to detail on wat u do when u present to these pple, but seem u mention tat u not interested in e field of deployment n installation, i suppose u noe wat u r looking for, but y u wan to go n apply for role tat u r not interested?

i will not say tat your field if not so popular if u will to noe wat company require tis type of skill set in SG, but maybe in different type of enviroment n nature only. The job market is a supply n demand tin n everytin is biz related @ e end of e day.

if u r really good dun need to bother so much one lah, sooner or later sure hv good offer come to u

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
I think these compaines in SG, 10 fingers/ 10 toes can count finish.. Overall, not many people doing it.. =:p

AC said:
That is not entirely true that ur speciality is very unique in SG :)

I have work with a few vendors before, and there are many whose scope covers yours as well.

Network General, E-COP, Bluecoat, Proventia etc

Just lately, we bought a 40K sniffer solution from Network Generals. Trainings were provided on TCP analysis and packet sniffing.

csy71

Reaction score
Xiaosa said:
Well, Im not saying that I am applying for deployment jobs. Its just that I keep getting calls from agencies asking if I know these skills. Obviously, none of them read my resume thoroughly. :s27:

Csy: The sad truth is recruiters don't have a clue what security operations mean?? Their perception of Security ops is again deploying, maintaining and installing FW/IDS :s22:

tat y i say u get e wrong recruiter mah, they r like sale, hv to go thru hundreds of resume, u cannot expect them to spend time n try to understand all mah, but tat life lah, there r good one out there maybe just tat u nvr encounter nia.

if next time my recrutier asking me for your type of skill set i get them to call u :D

csy71

Reaction score
Xiaosa said:
I Passed cisa....... wahahahaha. Ho say liao lah

tot e exam in dec nia, one mth plus noe liao ar, quite fast sia.

well done n all e best.

:s12: :s12: :s12:

AC

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
No time leh, off work at 6.30, come home shag liao.

Still got CCNP to go for.

Colleague just gave me his Checkpoint exam vouchers, which is expiring in 1 mth time. Got to pia those first.

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
Its a matter of mentality and will power. While doing my mba, I got classmates with jobs needing to fly, and have to manage a family of kids. Yet they still manage High distinctions ...

AC said:
No time leh, off work at 6.30, come home shag liao.

Still got CCNP to go for.

Colleague just gave me his Checkpoint exam vouchers, which is expiring in 1 mth time. Got to pia those first.

FangsDK

Reaction score
i agree that the HR people don't really know much about IT stuffs, esp the jobscope etc...that's why sometimes common certs like MCSEs CCNAs CISSPs stand out from the crowd though they may not know exactly what value they bring..

I think CISSP is really not an easy paper to pass atm still, hence i believe your market value should be quite high wan...with the market going upwards a little more patience may be what it takes for you to get wat u wan...good luck! :)

rhul

Reaction score
no need to think lah, CISSP is a paper dam hard to pass but on the contray, i got see ppl nvr study @all, not reali involve in ISec but take one time, pass liao. so? luck do contribute to a certain extend.

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
Honestly, I do not see these portion of people getting a quality IT Sec job easily even with CISSP..

rhul said:
no need to think lah, CISSP is a paper dam hard to pass but on the contray, i got see ppl nvr study @all, not reali involve in ISec but take one time, pass liao. so? luck do contribute to a certain extend.

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
Nowadays, I tend to think CISSP and CISA are baselines to be recognised Security professional. Afterwhich to stand out, depends on experience

AINSEP07

Reaction score
hi xiaosa,

here's some pointers for u. hopefully it's useful.

- your qualification is suitable for mid-level manager and above but your experience is insufficient.
- if u r serious abt security, look for jobs that offer u interaction with management and handles security issues or compliance and best practices etc
- local banks and SMEs do not pay security professionals highly becos they generally perceive them as network admin/engineers, unlike US companies.
- if you are interested in doing technical stuff it would be difficult for you to earn big bucks
- look carefully at what are the experiences and exposures are in demand.
- your salary range at this stage of your career should be of $2.8k - $3.8 depending on company. if u have an aggregate of 5yrs+ experience doing the same thing then it may not get you much higher unless you get a promotion. Your ceiling will be abt $4-4.5 doing the same thing - IDR.

it is true that many recruiters and HR people don't hv an idea about professional certs like CISSP and CISA. they quote it to show that they know something to impress the company. imagine if some IT folks in the forum are asking which certs to take, how much more can these recruiters know abt IT security.

happy job hunting..

ry (ITB)

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
Looking at higher level security ops or Consultancy positions. Prefer end user positions as opposed to vendor env. Explained in this thread already.. Not really interested in full fledged audit (Big 4). But welcome positions with audit responsibilities (VA, PT, Assurrance, Risk Management etc)..

Just some updates. Been to a couple of interviews for the past 3 weeks. Profile much higher.. But no substantial news.. So I guess no hope liao....

My core job seeks concentrated on Jobsdb, Street, Monster and Saturday's Recruit... Sadly the month of Feb is a pretty dry period. Not much good jobs to apply. Mostly Engineers and administrators.. Hopefully March will be more optimistic with more jobs of a better fit of my current profile...

As mentioned in Malcom Gladwell's "Tipping Point". I guess I must wait for things to tip in my favour.. Now can only apply, wait for interview. Nothing much extra can be done.

Xiaosa

Banned
Reaction score
Upzz for this thread. Anyone out there will a similar profile ? Will you be open to contract positions. I am pretty apprehensive about 1 year contract.. As around the 8-9 mths, must start "worrying" liao.. I got an agent contact last week about a Sec Ops position with 2 years contract with a major MNC. Doing around the same thing , IDR but a much higher.. (5 yrs exp, with CISSP). Leading to policies and audit responsibilities in a later stage. I gave the agent the green light to send my resume. Still waiting for a reply..

But the point of discussion is .. With cissp/cisa and a substantial amt of relevant exp. Will you be willing to take a contract position in view of your current perm position.. My reason for asking is at the age of 28. At the end of the contract will be at the unfavourable age of 30. At my MBA courses, there were many discussions regarding age and job seekers. It was mentioned 30++ is considered old in view of employers..

Just for the sake of discussion.. If one was offered a similar position (2 years contract). Will you consider taking it.. The talk with the agent set me thinking about all these points. I consdered the following scenarios

1. Take the job and fight for a perm position..
2. Take the job , by 1 year ++ . If nothing much. using the upgraded profile. Seek a better perm position.
3. Perform real hard and hope for a recontract.. (not for me)..

What do u all think... Lets discuss...

cslkelvin

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IMO I will take the job and fight for a perm, however i will still keep a look out for better prospect during the 2 yrs.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.