Thread all abt ROLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

boobip

Reaction score
I got my Sub Date from the same shop. To me, they're reliable, and they'll always open up the watchcase for you to examine the mech and the movement numbers, and write them down on the receipt before the transaction. Of course they have the full refund terms and conditions stated clearly at the back of the receipt if the watch is found to be fake or contain aftermarket parts. Initially, I had doubts on the authenticity of the Sub Date I'd bought, and had it verified by Rolex at Tong Center after purchase. I personally have no problems whatsoever, but there's definitely an element of risk in buying a used watch. Just do your homework first.

I use the word crisp as a description pardon me. If the definition should be 'good' or maybe 'robust' or something else, by all means. I'm just collecting watches and sharing pre-own lobangs for them, not intending to debate on the use of english here.

IMO, it's your own hardearned $$$ and it's your responsibility to research on your own interests before taking the plunge for a used piece. I've def done mine, and am happy to acquire preowned Rolex watches (especially if they're in excellent condition), so this is the advise to forumers interested in getting a used Rolex watch.

Personally, I do find Passions expensive IMO, u can def get better deals elsewhere. There's also this little shop in balmoral cresent off bukit timah. It's called Collector's Haven, and located within VIP Hotel. My mates and customers have bought Explorer IIs, Subs and some Panerais from them. Go check it out if u're interested, they have quite a good collection, including a nicely aged Submariner 5513.

GMT1 is not really THAT expensive (unless they come with special dials)...and not difficult to find as compared to vintage subs/dwellers/exp2 (single red, double reds, 5513's, orange hand, exp2 'ivory' dials, what else?) and Paul Newman/El Primero Daytonas. The difficult part is in getting a piece in good condition and free of aftermarket parts. In fact, u can get them at a few hundred bucks below most pre-owned sports models that are under 10 years old.

paithorn

Reaction score
I actually also dun buy the "just wind and feel good" check on Rolexes... I mean if so easy, ppl wouldn't pay $75 to have it verified liao right?

BTW, I am new to Rollies...

boobip

Reaction score
If u're new to Rolex, go for a brand new piece. The Submariner non date should set u back by about 5k. I'm not at the expert level for Rolex watches, but owned and done enough research on them to be comfortable with buying pre-owns. Both my Sub Date (y series) and Datejust (k series) have been verified by Tong Center and have no problems, and keeping good time within the COSC range. The only watches I've bought brand new are my Panerais, Omega Speedy and Breitling SuperOcean Steelfish. For Panerai, u can't really get a good bargain for a used piece, so might as well go for brand new (but the wait is painful!). This is unlike pre-owned Rolex, where u can get about 2k off the RRP for a brand new piece.

Last edited:

boobip

Reaction score
No worries, but if u've gotten your sights fixated on a Rolex, I'd say go for it! If u ever run into a dilemma of having a budget limit (as I did), e.g. considering between a brand new submariner or subdate for a budget of 5k, hold your horses first. Go check them out at either Balmoral or Passions for used pieces or just walk into ADs to feel the brand-news. Take down the model & series of the watch that catches your eye and come back for a discussion with the Rolex enthusiasts. Cheers!

paithorn

Reaction score
Just went for a DJ but got my eyes on a GMT Master ...... sure will ask you guys more as I go along..

drazoq

Reaction score
Hi boobip,
how much would you think a gmt1 black bezel would be going for nowadays?5k? yhanks

boobip

Reaction score
Dude, Not sure if there's a black bezel for gmt 1. From what I remember, GMT 1 only sports the pepsi red/blue combination, unless there are other forummers who've seen otherwise. If it's a GMT1 with sapphire crystal, u should be able to get it at about S3.8k. A good condition GMT2 that is about 10 years old (with t<25 dials) and oyster bracelet should set u back by about 4.1-4.2k.

boobip

Reaction score
paithorn said:
Just went for a DJ but got my eyes on a GMT Master ...... sure will ask you guys more as I go along..

Hwah, u're more 'hiong' than a lot of peeps here. Got a DJ and now eyeing a gmt master liaos... Fast man u. But u'll enjoy that piece definitely I guess. A sports model definitely draws a lotta attention.

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yeah.. never hear of black bezel for GMT1 .. paithorn.. if i am u i would jump straight to sport model.. at a few hundreds different. GMT2 is good unlike sub dat which is so common.. Below a nice watch also

5148-Bulova1.jpg

boobip

Reaction score
HAHAHAHAHAH, excellent! Congrats to you paithorn... dun tell us u're one of them TOTO winners of the angpow draw.... Rolex is as good as cash strapped to your wrist... can always liquidate if u need cash urgently.

drazoq

Reaction score
boobip said:
Dude, Not sure if there's a black bezel for gmt 1. From what I remember, GMT 1 only sports the pepsi red/blue combination, unless there are other forummers who've seen otherwise. If it's a GMT1 with sapphire crystal, u should be able to get it at about S3.8k. A good condition GMT2 that is about 10 years old (with t<25 dials) and oyster bracelet should set u back by about 4.1-4.2k.

Hi Boobip,
yes, sorry for being not precise. I'm talking about the gmt1 black bezel with sapphire crystal. wow S3.8k is pretty cheap. I was thinking that the price would have shot up since its outta production. I assume 3.8k is with box and papers? that would make a gmt1 black bezel cheaper without papers/box cheaper right? Thanks a bunch

evets

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
paithorn said:
So anyone bought a Rolex recently?

I just got 1 from Watch Palace. It is a datejust 16220.

got a pix?
$5k a normal dial DJ?

boobip

Reaction score
drazoq said:
Hi Boobip,
yes, sorry for being not precise. I'm talking about the gmt1 black bezel with sapphire crystal. wow S3.8k is pretty cheap. I was thinking that the price would have shot up since its outta production. I assume 3.8k is with box and papers? that would make a gmt1 black bezel cheaper without papers/box cheaper right? Thanks a bunch

I see. For the models with sapphire crystal, yes there's a black bezel. Generally (no offence to GMT owners, I'm about to get one myself too :) ), GMT models are not as popular as subs/sd/explorerII. A lot of my friends commented that it looks like a hybrid Rolex sports model, i.e. cross between sub and explorer II although it was specifically designed for PAN-AM pilots way back. The GMT 1 movement does not allow u to independantly adjust the date conveniently. Just think of it as being very leychey. Unfortunately, most of the 3.8k GMT masters are without papers and box. Add another 2-300 bucks for box and papers. Hmm... resale of the watch depends a lot on fashion or collector's trends in HK/Japan. Currently, it's still the Daytona followed by Submariner... the Explorer II trend is almost over. GMT craze might/might not happen at all, so it's a gamble. Importantly, get what you like... nothing beats having something u love on your wrist.

But be careful of just going to any used Rolex shop to enquire about the prices of near vintage GMTs... Some might try to rip u off by telling you it costs above 5k cos it's outta production and a collectable piece if they view you as inexperienced.

drazoq

Reaction score
boobip said:
I see. For the models with sapphire crystal, yes there's a black bezel. Generally (no offence to GMT owners, I'm about to get one myself too :) ), GMT models are not as popular as subs/sd/explorerII. A lot of my friends commented that it looks like a hybrid Rolex sports model, i.e. cross between sub and explorer II although it was specifically designed for PAN-AM pilots way back. The GMT 1 movement does not allow u to independantly adjust the date conveniently. Just think of it as being very leychey. Unfortunately, most of the 3.8k GMT masters are without papers and box. Add another 2-300 bucks for box and papers. Hmm... resale of the watch depends a lot on fashion or collector's trends in HK/Japan. Currently, it's still the Daytona followed by Submariner... the Explorer II trend is almost over. GMT craze might/might not happen at all, so it's a gamble. Importantly, get what you like... nothing beats having something u love on your wrist.

But be careful of just going to any used Rolex shop to enquire about the prices of near vintage GMTs... Some might try to rip u off by telling you it costs above 5k cos it's outta production and a collectable piece if they view you as inexperienced.

Hi Boobip,
Yes I agree, the gmt apparently doesn't have the 'cult' status attained by other sports models, esp the sub (I never considered daytona a sports model, its like on its own little crazy league) . Personally I still prefer the gmt over other sports models as its a little more unqiue with the red hour hand(unless i can get the red sub haha), more practical since i travel, useful to get a general bearings when readings maps and over the gmt2 as what u say is a little bit leychey to configure the time zones.
I've been checking prices around after reading your posts, and its abt that pricing without papers/boxes. I'm also not particularly worried about resale since i'm buying something i like, rather than for speculative reasons. I'm still puzzled why the explorer2 was in such a rage a couple of years back, a few of my friends paid ridiculous sums of money for the white face exploreer2. You're rite prices have dropped to normal levels since, and they're kicking themselves. Reminds me of the mcdonalds hello kitty trend..:)
Thanks for your information boobip, you have been most helpful. :)

boobip

Reaction score
drazoq said:
Hi Boobip,
Yes I agree, the gmt apparently doesn't have the 'cult' status attained by other sports models, esp the sub (I never considered daytona a sports model, its like on its own little crazy league) . Personally I still prefer the gmt over other sports models as its a little more unqiue with the red hour hand(unless i can get the red sub haha), more practical since i travel, useful to get a general bearings when readings maps and over the gmt2 as what u say is a little bit leychey to configure the time zones.
I've been checking prices around after reading your posts, and its abt that pricing without papers/boxes. I'm also not particularly worried about resale since i'm buying something i like, rather than for speculative reasons. I'm still puzzled why the explorer2 was in such a rage a couple of years back, a few of my friends paid ridiculous sums of money for the white face exploreer2. You're rite prices have dropped to normal levels since, and they're kicking themselves. Reminds me of the mcdonalds hello kitty trend..:)
Thanks for your information boobip, you have been most helpful. :)
Well summarized dude....it's the same feeling for me here in regards to the Daytona. Before I got my subdate, I wanted the GMT black. but however, the size of the twinlock crown put me off. I felt they should've used the triplock on every sports models... they even have it on the yatch master at 100m rating...DUH! So in the end, I got the sub instead.

My reason for wanting the GMT 1 is this: I'm not about to splurge big $$$ on a brand new piece after my craze last year with Rolex and Panerai... Generally, I want a daily beater that turns a bit of heads... can't bear to wear my watches to work, and since I've found a piece at a reasonable price, might as well use it daily and wear the others on weekends. Anyway, I've got a preference for acryllic crystals too, they give a warm look....but still trying to find some justification for the GMT 1..hmm...

Each time a japo/hk/bollywood/etc superstar or supermodel sports a Rolex or Panerai on his/her wrist and appears on the cover of a magazine, ppl generally go crazy... Maybe should get those supermodels to sport GMTs after we buy it. LOL...

Welcome dude, most welcome... if u need a list of pre-owned shops that I frequent, do pm me and let me know. Cheers!

pongz_hk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I got quoted a brand new sea dweller at an AD for $6950. Still have yet to make my rounds to other ADs. Any idea whats the going rate currently? Wanted to get the sub, but sub best price about $7300. Seems like the SD more worth it. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.