Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

monstruo

Reaction score
Hi guys

Basically, i'm like most of the people here; particular with SQ. However, I never really spent tons on earphones. I have a grados headphone which i rarely use it. It was bulky, the ear foam starts hurting your ears after prolong wearing. Though so, the SQ produce was magical compare to all my earbuds.

All the while, i'm using a 3g iPod. Normally, i listen to my ipod at least 2hrs a day and up to 8hrs max. I started of with the stock ear and it gave up on me after 3mths. So, I went on with the older vision of MX550, blue colour with lifetime warrantee. After 2yrs plus, it finally gave it's way. Then i went on with MX200 for a short while and move back with the new version MX550.

Like previously, my old MX500 ear piece manage to outlast 2yrs. However, the new MX550 only lasted me less than 6mths. I was keen to look for a durable and well peformed SQ ear piece.

I read through alot of fourms, hardware zone, ipod lounge, head-fi. Since i'm local here, i believe this place can relate better. Anyway, I narrow down the ear piece i'm interested with

westone um1
Audio Technica ATH-CK7 titanium (afbug, you gave up ER6i for that.. gosh)
ER6i black

1. Basically, Is there's any westone/Etymotic distributer in sg? *i doubt so....

2. Regarding AT CK7, how much are those and where can i get those? (From the review, $140 from bluetin. From one of the post: $119 from causeway pt?)

3. Alot people are getting cresyn, i mean how good are those and which are the elite model from cresyn?

Last of all
I quite concern with the plug of earphone. Sometime, i might get careless and caught up with the lines. Personally, i wouldn't mind spending 200-300 for a ear piece and lasted me for the next 4 -5 yrs. If anyone have any recommendations, just feel free to let me know ( Anything but the sony earphones.

stupidU

Reaction score
Cresyn LMX-E630 SN Version is same wif e RL or DL sound quality?? haha sori for noob lolx

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
monstruo said:
Hi guys

I read through alot of fourms, hardware zone, ipod lounge, head-fi. Since i'm local here, i believe this place can relate better. Anyway, I narrow down the ear piece i'm interested with

westone um1
Audio Technica ATH-CK7 titanium (afbug, you gave up ER6i for that.. gosh)
ER6i black

1. Basically, Is there's any westone/Etymotic distributer in sg? *i doubt so....

2. Regarding AT CK7, how much are those and where can i get those? (From the review, $140 from bluetin. From one of the post: $119 from causeway pt?)

3. Alot people are getting cresyn, i mean how good are those and which are the elite model from cresyn?

Last of all
I quite concern with the plug of earphone. Sometime, i might get careless and caught up with the lines. Personally, i wouldn't mind spending 200-300 for a ear piece and lasted me for the next 4 -5 yrs. If anyone have any recommendations, just feel free to let me know ( Anything but the sony earphones.

1. Both have local distributor. Jaben at adelphi is the distributor for Westone. Ety i'm not sure who is the current one but have.

2. Stereo Electronics at causeway pt selling it for $119.

3. The cresyn is the 1 and only model for in-ears. Its good for its price and of cause, it will not ou tperform the higher end ones.

No one/manafacturer can guarantee that its earphones can last 4-5 years. It depends on your useage and care.

I sold my white ER6i because i dun like the sound. But i bought another black pair and now i've found a tip that suits and fits me best. CK7 has very good price to performance value but its isolation will be lower cos of its design. Westone UM1 is the sturdiest of the 3 but it can only be worn 1 way. (Read my review)

Zephyron

Reaction score
kangaroobabe: Glad you like the CK7. Wait till the 72-hour burn in process is completed, they're gonna be lovely! :)

bg1177: I'm not sure which part of SP, but one guy posted up a pic of the Cresyn LMX-E630DL (Shiny Black) version being sold at $39.90. I was shocked o_O
I think it'll be better to ask the SP students regarding which shop its sold in SP, because I for one am not a SP student.

monstruo:
1.) You can try Jaben Networks @ Adelphi Building 4th floor opposite Funan
2.) Stereo Electronics Causeway Point has the CK7 going for $119, but the last piece I saw today got sold out, and Audio Technica SG has also run out of stock so... Must wait o_O
3.) The LMX-E630 are the only in-ear model from the Cresyn line of earphones. Their top of the line is supposedly the LMX-E700 series (Looks like re-housed AT ATH-CM5 IMO), but as canalphones, the LMX-E630 can be said as the KSC75 of low to low-mid end canalphones.

stupidU: All of the earphones in the LMX-E630 family has the same sound quality, and don't worry regarding the questions you ask, we're here to try our best to help :)

monstruo

Reaction score
Well, how's the price for westone from sg distributors. I'm aware of the price from the online shops. If i'm going for westone, where shd i get them from, local or online?

As for ETY, i remember seeing in on stuff magazine's earphone chart, price was like 199 but wasnt sure which model or which shop.

I'm not really that harsh to my earphones. "Pull-Off" happen rarely unless the cord is really really short. I only worry most at the plug. Because, when ipod is inside a pocket while i'm walking. The walking motion is bad or rather stress for the plug, due to all the movement.

I did try to check out the problem by changing the plug but mostly it can only last me a year plus before it goes "kabloom" again

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
stupidU said:
Cresyn LMX-E630 SN Version is same wif e RL or DL sound quality?? haha sori for noob lolx
yup.. the sound quality is the same...

stupidU

Reaction score
stupidU: All of the earphones in the LMX-E630 family has the same sound quality, and don't worry regarding the questions you ask, we're here to try our best to help

haha...thk u all very much bt i got 630 alrdy.49.90 haha got it at e 2nd floor.forget e shop name le.lolx.haven listen to it yet cos juz reach home.lol.dn noe nid to burn in or nt.bt i will listen to it first ba.haha
BTW gt one que i long time wan to ask.i plug my u3 into com it alway say high speed usb insert into low speed usb port.wat can i do to solve e porb?haha ques again.(tis ques does nt link to tis tread bt hope u all can help it out for me haha thk u!)
=:p :o

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
stupidU said:
stupidU: All of the earphones in the LMX-E630 family has the same sound quality, and don't worry regarding the questions you ask, we're here to try our best to help

haha...thk u all very much bt i got 630 alrdy.49.90 haha got it at e 2nd floor.forget e shop name le.lolx.haven listen to it yet cos juz reach home.lol.dn noe nid to burn in or nt.bt i will listen to it first ba.haha
BTW gt one que i long time wan to ask.i plug my u3 into com it alway say high speed usb insert into low speed usb port.wat can i do to solve e porb?haha ques again.(tis ques does nt link to tis tread bt hope u all can help it out for me haha thk u!)
=:p :o
oh... think the problem is ur USB port is only v1.1... how long is ur com ard for?

Jayish

Reaction score
yea like theory_87 said, its becoz U3 supports USB 2.0 but ur comp usb port only USB 1.1 , what different? tranfser speed will be slower. can simply ignore the pop up notification msg.

however u can convert ur USB port to 2.0 from 1.1 using a USB port converter. can search in SLS.
but actually not necessary... only slower transfer spd... no big deal =D

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
monstruo said:
Well, how's the price for westone from sg distributors. I'm aware of the price from the online shops. If i'm going for westone, where shd i get them from, local or online?

As for ETY, i remember seeing in on stuff magazine's earphone chart, price was like 199 but wasnt sure which model or which shop.

I'm not really that harsh to my earphones. "Pull-Off" happen rarely unless the cord is really really short. I only worry most at the plug. Because, when ipod is inside a pocket while i'm walking. The walking motion is bad or rather stress for the plug, due to all the movement.

I did try to check out the problem by changing the plug but mostly it can only last me a year plus before it goes "kabloom" again

Erm....the price will not be as attractive as what you can get online. About $230 i think. If you use pockets, then i think a low profile L shape plug will be the best. Among the 3 earphones you listed, UM1 has the sturdiest and lowest profile plug. CK7 and black ER6i's plug will jut out more and their cables are not as sturdy as UM1's braided cords.

Jayish

Reaction score
:s13:

btw i just realised that putting on the biggest size eartip will get a better result of the SQ.

i think its becoz of the isolation? The initial feeling of "escaped sound" no more exists.

anyway depend on individuals... can give it a try and see how :D

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Jayish said:
:s13:

btw i just realised that putting on the biggest size eartip will get a better result of the SQ.

i think its becoz of the isolation? The initial feeling of "escaped sound" no more exists.

anyway depend on individuals... can give it a try and see how :D

Yes, the key to best SQ is getting the best possible fit and isolation. More isolation, more bass as well. Always try all the tips provided to get the best fit/isolation/sound.

Last edited:

fevernova

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Woot, afbug becoming the official sound solution man! :s13: Don't see u posting that often on sgheadphones though....The local headphone community is so dull and boring... :s8:

RePlaY

Reaction score
fevernova said:
Woot, afbug becoming the official sound solution man! :s13: Don't see u posting that often on sgheadphones though....The local headphone community is so dull and boring... :s8:

Yeah man.. his reviews are exclusive to HWZ.. everyone here recognizes his efforts. :)

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
fevernova said:

Wah lao simi sound solution? :s31: lol. I did post at sgheadphones la. In fact, i just started a share order for sportapros there. Wanted to get the KSC35 but after some research and advise, i realised that the cheaper sportapro uses the same drivers as a KSC35. And i planned to use KSC75's earclips on them anyway, so got sportapros instead. I dunno why but l like KSC75's sound and clip. They do the job well without going to any extremes and convienent

RePlaY said:
Yeah man.. his reviews are exclusive to HWZ.. everyone here recognizes his efforts. :)

Hmm.....most of my reviews are exclusive here. My UM1 and ER6i review are posted at macusersg forums too. I dunno why sgheadphones is quieter. Maybe normal ppl wanting to buy casual headphones/earphones are afraid to post there cos many members there own higher end stuff and use more technical terms. When i first joined there, i also dunno what to post. haha.

Zephyron

Reaction score
^Headphones arz, well, I just tried the Beyerdynamic DT880 today.

Just love the sterility, clarity and nuetrality. The sound's pretty much uncoloured, makes my CK7's mid-highs sound harsh in comparison... Tempting x.X

But must first save up for the Shure e4g.

rerear

Reaction score
Anyone knows where else the Audio Technica CK7 can be gotten? Since Jade Gift/Stereo all sold out? Does Hung bros still stock them? Price too if possible. Thanks.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.