View Single Post
Old 04-03-2006, 08:00 PM   #50
ISS
Supremacy Member

Yes, sure they can. But remember, SM3.0 and HDR and price.

I bet you know what average Tom, Dick and Harry will think. When they compare a X800 series with a 6000s series

If your competition can cook up with something newer then you, cheaper then you, your product is as good as failed.

*cough*Intel*cough*AMD*cough*
I wouldn't label a product 'failed' just because it doesn't have SM 3.0 (the most notable feature of 3.0 is perhaps HDR). Despite Nvidia's effort to use SM 3.0 is a marketing advantage, HDR didnt receive widespread support till recently. Even till today, not every title has HDR too.

If I remember correctly, the only game that has HDR during those days is Far Cry. HL2 don't have it till they release the Lost Coast demo and I also don't recall Doom3 having it. For today, not having HDR support will be considered a big minus but thats not the case during 6800/X800 days.

In fact, X800 is considered one of the best value for $$$ cards today. The PC X800GTO16 cost just $319 and the Sapphire X800GTO2 cost $349.

Btw, if you look at lost coast, a X800 can do lighting effects thats almost as good as a SM 3.0 card.

Just to add: The reason why I am sticking with an ATI card today is because of image quality esp. AAF. I have no idea why Nvidia still can't get their AAF done right today (they did during the 5x00 days though).

Last edited by ISS; 04-03-2006 at 08:04 PM..
ISS is offline   Reply With Quote