Introduction to the world of headphones

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Zephyron said:
^
I think Ferraris are a bit overrated, what about a Pagani Zonda F? :D

No. Zonda is overrated, no race proven. Ferrari's low to mid end cars are race proven. But OT already. Thats another discuession for another thread and day. :)

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Price to performance ratio? Can you name me one Beyer or one other headphone that can beat Koss KSC75's price to performance ratio? And how to calcualte price to performance ratio? :s13: Most $300 headphone will no doubt sound better than a $50 one. If it sound worse, then it is indeed crappy.

I got nothing against Beyers but you have to look at the title of the thread and the interest of the members here. I will have suggested the top of the line headphones from various manufacturers if the people here are into headphones. And besides, not many members here owned a headamp.

Like the earphone thread, i might as well ask them to skip the budget earphones and go straight for the mid to high end earphones. There are different products for the different budget and market segment. Skip the cheap KIA and go for the Ferrari. Price to performance = Real blistering speed. ;)
the dt880 is well recommended.

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
i have simply lost faith in koss and senhen headphones. they are not well - built as in the past. even the grado fall prey to this area, maybe except for their higher end model .

Zephyron

Reaction score
^
But you have to remember that even recommending the DT880, or any Beyers or higher end Grados, Audio Technicas and Senns might be a bit of an overkill here especially when people are just trying to look for low cost, yet decent sounding alternatives.

Build quality is one issue, that maybe true, since I know nothing about it, but in general, the higher up you go the audio chain, the more the law of diminishing returns apply, and honestly, I'm not complaining about my Koss SportaPros even though my CK7 sounds clearer than them, and my SportaPros seem pretty hardy as well.

An example would lie in someone who likes very heavy quantised yet sloppy bass yet cheap DJ headphones, then you suddenly tell them to switch over to the DT880, then they may also say that the DT880 sucks since it has 'no bass'.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
the dt880 is well recommended.

Yes, i aware of that. How much? Need amp? Will it fit ppl with lower budget and needs? No rite. :)

n6a2wh6k said:
i have simply lost faith in koss and senhen headphones. they are not well - built as in the past. even the grado fall prey to this area, maybe except for their higher end model .

Yes koss and grado dun have very good build quality, even their high end ones have cosmatic flaws. For Koss, its you pay for what you get. But its SQ is indeed pleasing. For Senn, they are generally quite well built.

Sound is indeed subjective. You may think beyers are the best but not everyone thinks likewise. Some like Grados, i dun. :s22:

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
think the DT should cost less then $500, the lower impedence should be ok without amps. but then all ppl into headphones, should know a amps are the best for music right??

Any way think u should put a price budget range in the first page. Else who going to know how much is budget and how much is consider high end? different ppl with different cash flow has different cash threshold right?

Last edited:

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
think the DT should cost less then $500, the lower impedence should be ok without amps. but then all ppl into headphones, should know a amps are the best for music right??

Any way think u should put a price budget range in the first page. Else who going to know how much is budget and how much is consider high end? different ppl with different cash flow has different cash threshold right?

The prob is the ppl here not into headphones, hence the title of my thread. If they're into headphones, still need intro? The 3 headphone here are also portable. Some headphones have different purpose and use.

Sorry, dun get what you meant by budget range. If $100 is all one willing to spend on headphones, it will be a $100 headphone. Like you said, different ppl with different cash flow have different cash threshold. To some, $1000 is small change, even so, a $50 headphone will still be a $50 one. It just that he got more to spare and can afford a more expensive one. And if one is looking for an expensive high end pair, they will probably will not be posting in this thread or they will be refered to a headphone forum.

Lets say you asked about a ATH-W5000. I dun know, dun own it, so i'll ask you to ask the experts at a headphone forum. :s22:

Reaction score
what are the differences between open and closed headphones? heard that in the case of Sennheiser PX100 (open) vs PX200 (closed), the cheaper PX100 is the more favourite choice.

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
The prob is the ppl here not into headphones, hence the title of my thread. If they're into headphones, still need intro? The 3 headphone here are also portable. Some headphones have different purpose and use.

Sorry, dun get what you meant by budget range. If $100 is all one willing to spend on headphones, it will be a $100 headphone. Like you said, different ppl with different cash flow have different cash threshold. To some, $1000 is small change, even so, a $50 headphone will still be a $50 one. It just that he got more to spare and can afford a more expensive one. And if one is looking for an expensive high end pair, they will probably will not be posting in this thread or they will be refered to a headphone forum.

Lets say you asked about a ATH-W5000. I dun know, dun own it, so i'll ask you to ask the experts at a headphone forum. :s22:
thats why i ask u to list a price range. else ppl will not know. one item may seem budget but to another maybe a bomb.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
thats why i ask u to list a price range. else ppl will not know. one item may seem budget but to another maybe a bomb.

Seriously i have no idea how to list a price range. Can you give me an example? Different manufacturer charges different prices and range for their products. $50 for a headphone is one of the cheapest around, if its still out of their budget, then have to settle for crappy brands or earphones.

eg:
$100 = budget?
$200 = lower mid end?
$400 = mid end?
$600 = higher mid end?
$800 = high end?

theatreofdreams:
Closed headphones offer some isolation. Good for noisier places. But might sound congested or boxy. Open headphones have totally no isolation. Sounds airier.

If you dun need isolation, it is generally better to go for open headphones. PX100 will be the better buy. Closed cans are also warmer/hotter. Ears will sweat more.

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Seriously i have no idea how to list a price range. Can you give me an example? Different manufacturer charges different prices and range for their products. $50 for a headphone is one of the cheapest around, if its still out of their budget, then have to settle for crappy brands or earphones.

eg:
$100 = budget?
$200 = lower mid end?
$400 = mid end?
$600 = higher mid end?
$800 = high end?

theatreofdreams:
Closed headphones offer some isolation. Good for noisier places. But might sound congested or boxy. Open headphones have totally no isolation. Sounds airier.

If you dun need isolation, it is generally better to go for open headphones. PX100 will be the better buy. Closed cans are also warmer/hotter. Ears will sweat more.
maybe it will be best if we could place headphones in lets say from 50-100 price range, 100-200 price so on and so for. that will be much meaningful to the general public. but of cos we list them using price range only, never mentioned what is cheap or budget

why not list all headphiles we know of and then maybe open for ppl to write in the reviews. that will be cool issit.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
maybe it will be best if we could place headphones in lets say from 50-100 price range, 100-200 price so on and so for. that will be much meaningful to the general public. but of cos we list them using price range only, never mentioned what is cheap or budget

why not list all headphiles we know of and then maybe open for ppl to write in the reviews. that will be cool issit.

You mean list every model in the price ranges? Cannot la. Too many and i'm not a walking price list. Actually a price list is avaliable at sgheadphones forums and there got more people into headphones. In HWZ, not many. For reviews, anyone is welcome to write his/hers.

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
Noted.. maybe ppl here not hardcore ba. of cos not all, just list a few common one will do, database will increase mah. even sgheadphone also not much info, going to headfi is better.

i love their darth beyer mods by larry. looks cool, dunno how it sound

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
Noted.. maybe ppl here not hardcore ba. of cos not all, just list a few common one will do, database will increase mah. even sgheadphone also not much info, going to headfi is better.

i love their darth beyer mods by larry. looks cool, dunno how it sound

Ya, many here are still young, studying and not all have the means or interest to commit to audio yet. But many can afford a $170 earphone, unlike my time in school, got a $40 Aiwa pipephone, i'm in heaven.

Maybe you can start off by listing those you think worth/common ones in the list? Then i add mine.

Headfi got a lot of nuts. Nutty guys and gals there. :s13: Like Larry's mods? You can send him your current beyers and ask him to mod lor but not cheap yeah. ;) He is a woodie siao. Likely to improve soundstage and bass. His more popular ones are the beyers and grado mods. Seldom see a woody senn or akg.

Last edited:

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Ya, many here are still young, studying and not all have the means or interest to commit to audio yet. But many can afford a $170 earphone, unlike my time in school, got a $40 Aiwa pipephone, i'm in heaven.

Maybe you can start off by listing those you think worth/common ones in the list? Then i add mine.

Headfi got a lot of nuts. Nutty guys and gals there. :s13: Like Larry's mods? You can send him your current beyers and ask him to mod lor but not cheap yeah. ;) He is a woodie siao. Likely to improve soundstage and bass. His more popular ones are the beyers and grado mods. Seldom see a woody senn or akg.
lol i consider myself a noob. just my 2 cents to bring ppl into headfi. lol

have u heard larry modded beyer? not sure how would it cost. Any idea?

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
n6a2wh6k said:
lol i consider myself a noob. just my 2 cents to bring ppl into headfi. lol

have u heard larry modded beyer? not sure how would it cost. Any idea?

You noob, i also noob. :o There are many who have more experience than me.

No, i have not heard Larry's beyer. Dun have such luxury and luck. I dun think there is even a pair on SG, if have, very rare. Larry's mod normally increase soundstage and bass. So these are what you should expect. As for cost, ooooo it will be at least USD$200. Its expensive but you are paying for excellent craftsmanship (From what i see in pics), materials and to some, its art. But remember, if you do want it, you're taking a calcualted risk. You might not like the new sound.

I like his stuff, esp his headphone stands but costly. You can contact him for more details, esp sound impression.

http://www.headphile.com/page8.html

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe the title of the thread abit out..cause some expect a wider high end models to be reviewed.. Different type of cans catered for different needs.. as the prices of headphones goes up... it could or may not sound as good as Koss KSC75 unamped.. But if u amp it the different is quite signaficant marginally..

I remember whenn i first got the legendary KSC35 .. i thought it sound even better then grado SR80.. But after amping and using better source my homesetup. i can't said the same statement again..

It is good that you are contented with those headphones review here as its mean u are a few hundred richer...

It is also quite promising and great to see more and more ppl apprieciates better sound quality..

Good SQ can come cheap and expensive its yrs choice.. :s13:

n6a2wh6k

Master Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:

No, i have not heard Larry's beyer. Dun have such luxury and luck. I dun think there is even a pair on SG, if have, very rare. Larry's mod normally increase soundstage and bass. So these are what you should expect. As for cost, ooooo it will be at least USD$200. Its expensive but you are paying for excellent craftsmanship (From what i see in pics), materials and to some, its art. But remember, if you do want it, you're taking a calcualted risk. You might not like the new sound.

I like his stuff, esp his headphone stands but costly. You can contact him for more details, esp sound impression.

damn i really like larry works, but witout hearing it personally. its hard whelter it worth the dough.

i am trying to get beyer headphones. not sure which is a better choice - consumer or their professional series. think reviews state DT880 is the best compare to their flagship model Dt990.

no mentioned abt DT150 or 250

fevernova

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:

This is bad. You are the official IEM and earphones guy...Now u want a peice of the Headphone world....NO!!! Go away! lol....Professor Afbug1 :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.