Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

brianadam888

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
BTW, anyone interested in a pair of brand new ER4P/S/B at US$150? Includes expedited shipping direct from Etymotic Research USA. But there are some other cost, overall, still cheaper than retailers. I know of a guy from headfi selling them. PM me if interested. Offer last till this Saturday.

ER4P @ US$150 cheap leh ... only if I havent buy the tweaked ER4P :o

brianadam888

Reaction score
RePlaY said:
When are you going to organise a "Portable Media Player SIG Meetup"? Then we can all bring our gadgets down to have fun! :s22:

Good idea!

Someone please be the organiser ... erh ... maybe Master Bug? :D

jmilo

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
The prob is non of the tips fit me. I'm using Shure's soft flex small now, even so, my ears are raw. :o Thanks for the advise, i stuffed them in until cannot in already and it even help me remove some ear wax. lol. Yes, SQ is good.

The soft case is the same as the ER6i one on the 1st page. I tot its rather nice. Size wise, its just nice for 6i but too small for 4P. I emailed ety for sample tips and also complained about the case. If they dun send me another case, i think just use the Westone one.

I got UM2, ER4P and ER6i <-------WTS. UM1 is my bro's. The rest of the cheaper in-ears, sell also no value.

Edit:
BTW, anyone interested in a brand new set of ER4P? I think i can get another one. Below SDG$300.
afbug1, so what does the er4 sound like compared to um2? any "short" comparisons?

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
RePlaY said:
Suddenly so many people into IEMs lately.. If only I had so much info last time when I wanted to buy..

BTW afbug u got the supermacro already? I remember u mentioned b4 u wanna get it?

When are you going to organise a "Portable Media Player SIG Meetup"? Then we can all bring our gadgets down to have fun! :s22:

Well that time when i got the UM1 and ER6i, also bought blindly. Esp its UM1's new design. Now more ppl own IEMs in SG, so naturally more info i guess. Plus of cause without your suggestion, this thread will not be around. ;)

I've changed my plans. I'm not going protable with amps, so i think a desktop amp will be better. Not likely to get SM3 unless feeling rich which is always very rare. lol

Meet up? And we go fevernova house. lol. I dun want to organise la. Lazy. Someone organise and if i can make it, i'll be there.

brianadam888 said:
ER4P @ US$150 cheap leh ... only if I havent buy the tweaked ER4P :o

Yeah and its direct from Etymotic Research as well. What is a tweaked ER4P? Whats the diff to the normal ER4P?

jmilo said:
afbug1, so what does the er4 sound like compared to um2? any "short" comparisons?

ER4P Vs UM2 is like ER6i Vs UM1. Different flavour.

ER4P sound like a soup up version of the ER6i, same sound signature. It does have strong bass but cannot match UM2's impact and slam. But the ER4P is more revealing than the UM2 at lower volumes. UM2 performs at higher vol. As for treble, its slightly better than UM2 only, in a sense that its bass dun overwhelm. UM2's treble can reach higher. ER4P can handle most types of music IMHO. But for rap, i think it cannot make it. Dun have the type of 'vibration bass'. For dance music, its good. It got the deep thumping bass. So it does kick bass drums better than bass guitars i guess.

There are a few types of preferences. One is the basshead where only the SFEB and DT770 can please him. 2nd at the other extreme end, only brighter sounds like Grado, ER4P/S etc pleases him. And lastly the general ones where almost any thing goes. Not vey healthy for his wallet. lol. A different can for different mood.

So for the basshead, at least a UM2. 2nd type, treble siao will like the ER4S and lastly, its where i am and some ppl are, anything goes like the UM2, ER4P etc. Able to adapt to different sounds. So what i'm trying to say is that the ER4P will compliment the UM2. I dun think its better or worse. If i have to choose, its the UM2.

Preview pictures!

killingb said:
like flattened loh..i tink they wrap ard the case too tight until flat and deformed..

Is it bad? Got a pic? If you dun like, maybe exchange?

Last edited:

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
anyways, where can i actually purchase a UM2 in singapore? actually thought of ordering it over the net

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
XcoldstarX said:
anyways, where can i actually purchase a UM2 in singapore? actually thought of ordering it over the net

http://www.sgheadphones.net/index.php?showtopic=4601

Aron carrys them and his price is attractive. You're a little late, if not, his price even more attractive. Try speaking to him. No need to buy online for Westone anymore. I think Jaben at Adelphi sells them at good prices too. Plus, you can try them out before buying.

koljaho

Reaction score
coldstar you tried before? is it reallly great?

oh btw......why i see so many people with this sort of avarta?

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
XcoldstarX said:

Hey you can ask yr friend to steal for you man.. why buy?? :s27:

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
koljaho said:
coldstar you tried before? is it reallly great?

oh btw......why i see so many people with this sort of avarta?

nah....i only want an upgrade from my creative EP630...and i heard that UM2 has good bass.....

regarding my avatar......is from EDMW one...a guy called tazzycorner made it for me.....

RePlaY

Reaction score
afbug: Not going portable with amp anymore ah? I tot you own the PA2V2? You know anyone here who owns a Hornet? The Supermacro sound rather "lifeless" to me liao.. need to try other sound flavours.

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
damm... my lappy die on me ytd.. send it for repair so no money for my SF5pro dis mth le.. haiz... muz wait nxt mth... sian...

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
RePlaY said:
afbug: Not going portable with amp anymore ah? I tot you own the PA2V2? You know anyone here who owns a Hornet? The Supermacro sound rather "lifeless" to me liao.. need to try other sound flavours.
wa.. climbing up the stairs liao ah? hee...

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
XcoldstarX said:
nah....i only want an upgrade from my creative EP630...and i heard that UM2 has good bass.....

regarding my avatar......is from EDMW one...a guy called tazzycorner made it for me.....
u wan gd bass, u can try EP630 wif the UE biflange tips...

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
EP630 wif biflange tips

notice there is a slider on my EP630... i added myself so i can wear it behind my ears wifout microphonic noise...
wif biflange tips. the mid is slightly recess but the bass is much more enhance... the earphone sound more warm den single flange tips...

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
RePlaY said:

Ya i got PA2V2. Its sitting at home, doing home duties until a desktop amp arrives. :D Dun want to carry amp around. I dun even want to carry a full size mp3 player. I just use my little shuffle and UM2. Like that, i dun need to carry pouch or bag when going out. All in my pocket.

Hornet i think jmilo have but i think he sold it and got a SM3. Why 'lifeless'? Can ask Xin to change oamps? If want to try other flavours, why not change earphone? It will make greater difference. E500 is calling............ =:p Hornet coming in different colours soon. lol. You want gold or red also have.

theory_87 said:
notice there is a slider on my EP630... i added myself so i can wear it behind my ears wifout microphonic noise...
wif biflange tips. the mid is slightly recess but the bass is much more enhance... the earphone sound more warm den single flange tips...

How you add the slider? Use what? Teach us leh.

Those ibuds also got slider. Maybe one day, i will try wearing it out ala IEM style. Cord over ears and behind my back. =:p

Zephyron

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Those ibuds also got slider. Maybe one day, i will try wearing it out ala IEM style. Cord over ears and behind my back. =:p
When you have the UM2!?!? The sin!!!!

*prays for you*

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Ya i got PA2V2. Its sitting at home, doing home duties until a desktop amp arrives. :D Dun want to carry amp around. I dun even want to carry a full size mp3 player. I just use my little shuffle and UM2. Like that, i dun need to carry pouch or bag when going out. All in my pocket.

Hornet i think jmilo have but i think he sold it and got a SM3. Why 'lifeless'? Can ask Xin to change oamps? If want to try other flavours, why not change earphone? It will make greater difference. E500 is calling............ =:p Hornet coming in different colours soon. lol. You want gold or red also have.

How you add the slider? Use what? Teach us leh.

haa... it the heat shrinking tube again... hee... but the size is quite small so i haf to streach it so it can pass throught the straight plug den use the hairdryer to heat it...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.