Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
haha... wonder wad he put inside tt heat shrinking tube to make it stay in place...

A metal wire or cable tie will work. I've once read from headfi, a member threaded a thin piece of wire thru this Westone braided cable to have the memory wire effect. Or you can just wrap a piece of cable tie over the cable.

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
A metal wire or cable tie will work. I've once read from headfi, a member threaded a thin piece of wire thru this Westone braided cable to have the memory wire effect. Or you can just wrap a piece of cable tie over the cable.
emm.. guess my turn to try it on my ep630...

XcoldstarX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i think a paper clip also works......anyways theory_87, where u get the heatshrink? wad is the size....i only managed to find 6mm....but still not small enuff to make a slider...

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i dunno wad is my size leh... ju last time anyhow buy den i took out and realise it juz nice...

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
forget liao.. i think it either 2nd lv or 3rd lv... elacator up den turn left.. the shop infront.. dey gt alot diff size..

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Well i've sold me 2nd pair of ER6i. Hope i dun regret it. :o Did some comparision against the ER4P. 6i got more bass! :s31: I managed to get more bass out of the 6i than 4P. Maybe i'm still struggling with the fit of 4P. But 4P is more revealing.

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Well i've sold me 2nd pair of ER6i. Hope i dun regret it. :o Did some comparision against the ER4P. 6i got more bass! :s31: I managed to get more bass out of the 6i than 4P. Maybe i'm still struggling with the fit of 4P. But 4P is more revealing.
:s31: 6i gt more bass? emm...

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
:s31: 6i gt more bass? emm...

Yeah but maybe because i got a very good fit with the shure grey flex. I haven discover the best fit for 4P yet. As of now, the most comfy tip for 4P are the yellow foams. IT also gives the most treble but bass suffers a little. Shure's grey flex gives more bass, less treble but uncomfy for long usage. Triflange is good as well but not as much bass as shure grey flex.

4P must insert deep deep to get its bass. I haven find a tip that can let me do so with the best comfort.

jmilo

Reaction score
hmmm...i thought 4p got more bass...or maybe you haven't got the right fit yet... :)

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
jmilo said:
hmmm...i thought 4p got more bass...or maybe you haven't got the right fit yet... :)

Although both 6i and 4P got enhanced bass compared to 6 and 4S, 4P dun really have more bass than 6i. Its got to do with the seal and depth of insertion. I've been playing around with the various tips for the past week and with Shure's small clear flex, i managed to get close to the amount of bass that i can get from the 6i. :) (Insert real deep!)

4P got deeper bass at softer volumes but not more unfortunately. Using them outdoors is really a hassle and a pain. Its slightly superior isolation (compared to Westone/Shure) don't help actually. While ambient noise don't drown out its bass, the cord noise and the louder footsteps (Felt like godzilla!) due to more isolation drowns out its bass. You can still hear some bass, but no longer as clear cut.

I'm trying to write a review. I think got quite a lot to write but lol lazy. :D But I've taken down notes for the comparision with the 6i before i sold it.

Its a different flavour to the UM2. I think you should give them a try. ER4P is good for different moods and setting. For example, if you're in a relax and lazy chilling out mood, the ER4P will be at its best while the slam and impact of the UM2 will give you a rude shock. But if you got your adrenaline all pump up and want to rock/party on, the ER4P will fall flat as it lack UM2's slam and impact.

Like most people, they got different cans for different moods. UM2 is a little like a Grado/Alessandro (Got lots of impact) while the ER4P is more polite, more like a HD555. (Refine but can be boring at times)

(I think the text in this post can recycle for my review lol) =:p

Last edited:

Nitrile

Honorary Member
Reaction score
ok, i just got my ath-ck7 today and i'm loving it... teh mids are getting a little better after running them for the last 6 hours.. but still they rock..lol.. i'm also getting used to wearing it over the ear

just got a ath-a900 last week.. heh.. i'm an audio technica fan

Zephyron

Reaction score
From my experience, you'll find that the ATH-A900 and CK7 has rather similar sound signature with the exception of the bass, where the A900 goes deeper :)

Windchijmes

Reaction score
I bought a Sony E888LP two weeks ago but I just saw a Sony E888SP in China going for about $75. Made in the Philippines. Should I get it?

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i juz wen jaben today... audit E6i, um1 and um2... din lyk um1 and um2... prefer E6i even wif the triflange tip... tried other tip on all the above IEMs and all the tips produce no diff sound to me.. haha.. only comfort lv diff... personally, i prefer E6i sound to um... E6i is nt so forward as um which suit my taste... and surprising to me, E6i bass is on par wif um1... emm... now i dun trust review after my cresyn and E6i cases... i trust my ear better... haha... no offend...

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
i juz wen jaben today... audit E6i, um1 and um2... din lyk um1 and um2... prefer E6i even wif the triflange tip... tried other tip on all the above IEMs and all the tips produce no diff sound to me.. haha.. only comfort lv diff... personally, i prefer E6i sound to um... E6i is nt so forward as um which suit my taste... and surprising to me, E6i bass is on par wif um1... emm... now i dun trust review after my cresyn and E6i cases... i trust my ear better... haha... no offend...

Of cause you should trust your ears. Reviews are only for guides and intro to it. But its pretty obvious that UMs got more bass la. ;) No offense too but you seem to find bass light earphones bass heavy and bass heavy earphones lightweight. lol.

BTW, i've add the heat shrink to my EP630. Dun have hairdryer, so use lighter and almost burn the cords. :s31: I use a sharpnose plier to stretch the heat shrink and fit them thru the plug. For the fun of it, i also add it to my MX550. lol

theory_87

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Of cause you should trust your ears. Reviews are only for guides and intro to it. But its pretty obvious that UMs got more bass la. ;) No offense too but you seem to find bass light earphones bass heavy and bass heavy earphones lightweight. lol.

BTW, i've add the heat shrink to my EP630. Dun have hairdryer, so use lighter and almost burn the cords. :s31: I use a sharpnose plier to stretch the heat shrink and fit them thru the plug. For the fun of it, i also add it to my MX550. lol
hu... lighter... haha... dangerous... so how u think of it? at least it gd for me... haha... dunno leh.. mayb of my special ear.. lol... the e6i can really go deep in my ear even wif the triflange tip... emm...too bad can test no $ to buy... coz amazon is offering Altec Lansing inMotion iM716. i can buy it via vPost... heard tt it comparable wif ER4... it only a side tune version... actuslly i perfer Ety sound signature...

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
theory_87 said:
hu... lighter... haha... dangerous... so how u think of it? at least it gd for me... haha... dunno leh.. mayb of my special ear.. lol... the e6i can really go deep in my ear even wif the triflange tip... emm...too bad can test no $ to buy... coz amazon is offering Altec Lansing inMotion iM716. i can buy it via vPost... heard tt it comparable wif ER4... it only a side tune version... actuslly i perfer Ety sound signature...

I think you really need to test the SF5 pro before buying. Its suppose to have lots of bass. Wait you find them no bass. lol. Hey if you like, just get Ety, no need to think of others actually. They're good and if you can get a good fit and comfy, better still.

As for iM716, its a very good deal but if you run out of filters, i dunno where you can find replacements. So i think buy Ety better. They got great support and is avaliable in SG. I just asked them to send my some smaple tips and a bigger case. Hope they send me. :D

The heat shrink is useful and i like the slider. But got bigger size one? Its hard to fit them in. Must stretch lol.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.