Introduction to the world of headphones

Zephyron

Reaction score
*nods* Yeah.

Being into headphones locally is a very rare hobby though, I think :)

But as long as you're enjoying it, it should be a good thing :)

Nitrile

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i just got a pair of ath-a900 from stereo! last piece.. lol..

i tried the grado sr225 and instantly fell in love with it.. too bad its not within my budget

well, the a900 is good enough!! heh

a little bright now on my x-fi extrememusic

burning them in now

Zephyron

Reaction score
I tried both the ATH-A900 and SR325 before. Both are good, but I prefer the ATH-A900 for its larger soundstage and better imaging :)

fevernova

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Zephyron said:
I tried both the ATH-A900 and SR325 before. Both are good, but I prefer the ATH-A900 for its larger soundstage and better imaging :)

I find the SR-325 lovely but its a little heavy and the highs are somewhat a tad too harsh for my liking. Nevertheless, its a wonderful pair of cans but yeah, like what you've said, the soundstage isn't that ideal...

kangaroobabe

Reaction score
would a grado sr60 benefit from using it with an amp?i understand that its impendance is onli 32ohms

Zephyron

Reaction score
Depends on amp and headphone. Higher impedance cans usually benefit more thanlow impedance ones.

kangaroobabe

Reaction score
how many ohms would generally be considered high? btw wad is the difference between a sr60 and a sr80?

Last edited:

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
An amp will definitly improve the sound of any headphone/ cans.. it also depend on the source you use... :s7:

For high ohms cans can just increase the gain of the amp..
For high sensitive can it will benifit from a lower gain amp

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
kangaroobabe said:
how many ohms would generally be considered high? btw wad is the difference between a sr60 and a sr80?

Above 100 ohms? Its hard to say and it depends on the cans too. eg, KSC75 is 60 ohms but they're not too difficult to drive.

SR60 and SR80 is very similar. 80 got a little more bass and benifit more with an amp. You can use headroom's review as a guide. If you can wait, i will finish my review of a SR80 and MS1 in a week or so.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/

kangaroobabe

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Above 100 ohms? Its hard to say and it depends on the cans too. eg, KSC75 is 60 ohms but they're not too difficult to drive.

SR60 and SR80 is very similar. 80 got a little more bass and benifit more with an amp. You can use headroom's review as a guide. If you can wait, i will finish my review of a SR80 and MS1 in a week or so.

http://www.headphone.com/guide/by-manufacturer/grado/

ok thx.. will definitely be looking forward to the SR80 review. wondering whether to get that as my first headphone to pair with my coming pa2v2

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
kangaroobabe said:
ok thx.. will definitely be looking forward to the SR80 review. wondering whether to get that as my first headphone to pair with my coming pa2v2

Ok la, tell you first. If you're considering a SR80, you might want to look into the Alessandro MS1. To me and many others, its better than a SR80 and cost about the same. You can try them both at Music By Design for Grado SR80 and Jaben for Alessandro MS1. Both are in Adelphi.

Both will improve with a PA2V2. Actually PA2V2 + MS1 = one of the best match IMHO. :)

Reaction score
Hi..
I am currently using the MS1, looking for an amp to go with it.
Since u recommend the PA2V2, like to ask where can i get this in SG.
And roughly how much does it cost too.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
They're not sold in the shops in SG. Have to buy them online.

http://www.electric-avenues.com/amplifiers.html

Gary is the one behind it and his email can be found at the site. Contact him for more details.

It cost roughly US$50-60. Approx SGD$100. I think there're a few ppl interested in it here. Maybe share order will be cheaper.

Reaction score
Thanks afbug1 for the link.
Will take a look when i am slightly more free. Exams period..
Really appreciates the info u provide.
Thanks again for the quick reply to my question.

kangaroobabe

Reaction score
afbug1 said:
Ok la, tell you first. If you're considering a SR80, you might want to look into the Alessandro MS1. To me and many others, its better than a SR80 and cost about the same. You can try them both at Music By Design for Grado SR80 and Jaben for Alessandro MS1. Both are in Adelphi.

Both will improve with a PA2V2. Actually PA2V2 + MS1 = one of the best match IMHO. :)

ok thx for ur reply again. any distinct sound signatures the ms1 or the sr80 has?

fevernova

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
For the SR80, first off, you'll hear pumping bass and lovely impact. Great pair of cans to WOW u if you've been using those earbuds that came along ith ur portable players. Imho, I think I'll rather spend $100 more on a better pair of cans than amping the SR80. There's its benefits but for $100, you wont get too far. Anyways, good luck to ur new cans.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
rainforest_puppy said:
Thanks afbug1 for the link.
Will take a look when i am slightly more free. Exams period..
Really appreciates the info u provide.
Thanks again for the quick reply to my question.

You're welcome. :)

kangaroobabe said:
ok thx for ur reply again. any distinct sound signatures the ms1 or the sr80 has?

Actually, what're you looking for in a headphone? Your music preferences, budget? MS1 and SR80 have very similar, if not the same sound signature. Both are forward sounding with lots of impact but can be unrefine. SR80 is brighter with a little less bass than the MS1.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
vittel said:
which is more bang for buck, ms1 or sr-60? using ipod nano as audio source, w/o amp. or my crappy laptop soundcard

Should be SR60 at $120. But the MS1 is better. :) About $170 only.

blurpasta

Reaction score
Just like to check with u guys whether altec lansing headphones r gd? I'm a noob in headphones n would like to purchase one. Budget is around less than 50. Any recommendations?

Nakedtoes

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
blurpasta said:
Just like to check with u guys whether altec lansing headphones r gd? I'm a noob in headphones n would like to purchase one. Budget is around less than 50. Any recommendations?

You mind clip on phone?? try the KOSS KSC75.. or their headphone Sportapro.. shoud be $69

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.