Earphone Review: Battle of sub $80 in-ears earphones plus others!

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
qaar88 said:
So whats the difference in terms of sound quality between biflange, triflange and biflange modified from triflange tips? also how does the shure soft flex affects the sound?

I am using a Cresyn E630 now and is looking for eartips that will give me better isolation, any recommendations?

SQ will be affected on how the sound nozzle sit in your ears. Biflange and triflange will have different fit and placement in your ears. But then there is no biflange or triflange for a Cresyn E630 now. But this is what i have:

http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showpost.php?p=18045174&postcount=380

qaar88

Reaction score
Thanks for the clarification, i may give the shure soft flex tips a try. Does Stereo Electronics offer them in individual pairs or must buy in package like some of the other eartips and pricewise?

chris_thng

Reaction score
hello guys,

first of all, no offends as im no experts in the technical stuffs of earphones.

but all along, i do find sony groove earphones great. such as my current mdr-ed31. i feel its good sounding/powerful/loud. ANYONE AGREE?

I also like mdr888 but it doesnt hold well in my ears, kept dropping out. besides, the housing cracked on my second sets as well which makes me gave up on that model eventually. initially i thought inear phones good. so i tried the initial release from sony. I dont know if its just me, as it sounded poor to my ears... groove earphones scored way better lol. I haven tried newer models like 71 nor nx1.

After reading the past threads, i learnt that most agree that sony inear arent performin well. hmm but hows the latest nx1? better than stocked w810i earphone? i am also drawn to the good feedbacks of creative ep630/ep635.

any kind advice? im so so lost

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
Chris, what are you looking for? From your post, it seems like you're just giving your opinions on some earphones. :)

qaar88, you can check with Stereo. Can't really tell as stocks come and go but for some tips, they sell in individual pairs.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
chris_thng said:
hello guys,

first of all, no offends as im no experts in the technical stuffs of earphones.

but all along, i do find sony groove earphones great. such as my current mdr-ed31. i feel its good sounding/powerful/loud. ANYONE AGREE?

I also like mdr888 but it doesnt hold well in my ears, kept dropping out. besides, the housing cracked on my second sets as well which makes me gave up on that model eventually. initially i thought inear phones good. so i tried the initial release from sony. I dont know if its just me, as it sounded poor to my ears... groove earphones scored way better lol. I haven tried newer models like 71 nor nx1.

After reading the past threads, i learnt that most agree that sony inear arent performin well. hmm but hows the latest nx1? better than stocked w810i earphone? i am also drawn to the good feedbacks of creative ep630/ep635.

any kind advice? im so so lost

Agree that Sony earphones are indeed powerful and i especially love its bass, likewise for my EX71.

chris_thng

Reaction score
hello,

oh well, guess i should stick to the earphones or i can get very disappointed again if i buy the sony nx1...

or anyone got any other advices that i have missed out?

chris

PurpleLightning

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
chris_thng said:
hello,

oh well, guess i should stick to the earphones or i can get very disappointed again if i buy the sony nx1...

chris
i'm planning to buy an Audio Technica CK-7 for my w800i first, then i'll save up for a samsung YP-Z5F or a U2 :D

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
gulp said:
until you realize that it is actually boomy muddy one note bass :)

I like its boominess as i prefer more bass. But considering Westone's UM1 at the PC Show.

afbug1

Master Member
Reaction score
chris_thng said:
hello,

chris

Budget? Like bass? If so, look no further than EP630.

Snoweagle, no need to consider. Just buy buy buy! :s13: Or.....you can try out the UM2...

xllms

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Snoweagle said:
I like its boominess as i prefer more bass. But considering Westone's UM1 at the PC Show.

UM1 will not give u bass in normal listening, it has a almost flat characteristics...but it has a lot of hidden qualities that can be discovered in its bass region with a good EQ...it may not be wat u want...want bass?...UM2 if u can afford it

xllms

xllms

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
PurpleLightning said:
i'm planning to buy an Audio Technica CK-7 for my w800i first, then i'll save up for a samsung YP-Z5F or a U2 :D

purplelightning, do consider UM1 for you w800i...i'm an extremely happy user now on the w800i...the MEGABASS in the eq of w800i will bring out the hidden bass quality of um1...otherwise, the clarity and lush mids is very soothing on w800i....but you will hear more details in CK7 tho'

xllms

PurpleLightning

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xllms said:
purplelightning, do consider UM1 for you w800i...i'm an extremely happy user now on the w800i...the MEGABASS in the eq of w800i will bring out the hidden bass quality of um1...otherwise, the clarity and lush mids is very soothing on w800i....but you will hear more details in CK7 tho'

xllms
personally, i find the megabass a bit *ahem*, it distorts the sound, i always keep the equalizer at flat~~~

and the CK7 is a lot cheaper than a UM1~~~ :s13:

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Zephyron

Reaction score
The CK7 is a bit crazy in terms of price to performance ratio, that I agree o_O

chris_thng

Reaction score
hi guys,

urm, will i hear dramatic improvements from sony nx1 with w810i than compared to its stocked earphone?

or the stocked earphone is already of premium quality? (i ask because the stock earphone perform miserably especially with meba bass option at higher volume.)

pls advise,
chris

Zephyron

Reaction score
Avoid the NX series for now. They should be completely no different as compared to the MDR-EX series, which are crap to begin with.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xllms said:
UM1 will not give u bass in normal listening, it has a almost flat characteristics...but it has a lot of hidden qualities that can be discovered in its bass region with a good EQ...it may not be wat u want...want bass?...UM2 if u can afford it

xllms

Nah i can't afford the $450 price tag for the UM2 so i settled for the UM1.

fevernova

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Its alright actually. The UM1's are pretty neat stuff. I kinda liked them. Alternatively, you could wait and save up more cash for the UM2's.

Snoweagle

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
fevernova said:
Its alright actually. The UM1's are pretty neat stuff. I kinda liked them. Alternatively, you could wait and save up more cash for the UM2's.

Since i've the UM1 already, i don't see the need for me to buy another UM2, unless i'm really into some serious audiophile thingy. :s13:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.