HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

Koolabee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
if u wanna get day tour, get in in HK. I saw the hotel helpdesk booking for Chang Chou island going at HKD$50 its a lot cheaper.

For Lantau island, its ez to navigate and get there using MTR. So its ok to go on ur own. Esp. now a lot of the people can speak Chinese and English too.

For the Ngong Ping 360 cable car, i remember that the original date of 24th June is cancelled and now held off indefinitely to rectify the problem. You can drop the HK tourism board an email and they can answer u (they are very efficient. replied my email in 1/2 a day).

jestin_ng

Reaction score
JDelphiNet said:
Oh my. Hope they resume -- or start -- their operation latest by Aug so we can give it a try. :D

:Later,
Hais! I wanted to go for that when im there on jul3-10. guess its hard now.

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
dolphingalgal said:
I'm planning to get a tour agency to Lantau for one day tour. Anyone can recommend which tour agency should i join?

Is it possible for me to explore myself in Lantau Island? Is it hard to find transport to Mui Wo, Cheung Sha, Big Buddha, Po Lin Monetary, Tai O & Ngong Ping Skyrail?

HK Expert, please advice whether should i join those HK tour or explore myself?

Thanks..
dolphingalgal, Lantau island is way bigger than Singapore or HK Island, mainly mountainous, thus transport issnt that convient. Unless someone here has visited all those places (Mui Wo, Cheung Sha, Big Buddha, Po Lin Monetary, Tai O) by themself in this forum, and have some experience to share, i strongly do not suggest u to travel to these places alone via public tpt/taxi.

Anyway, do check out some Lantau tour itenary here, but seems rather pricy.
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/touring/islands/ta_isla_138582l1.jhtml

tbs

Reaction score
can anyone recommend me what eateries is nice and charge reasonable price in hk? i am going to hk for 11 days on jetstar asia in mid july, pls do provide the address and the famous dish thanks :)

btw, i book jetstar asia at $290 return airfares including taxes, but if book earlier, can be as cheap as $250, but i found out after i book my tickets that air china and the brunei airline do fly to hk at about $300+ just abit more, so maybe u wan to consider taking china airlines

Koolabee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
tbs said:
can anyone recommend me what eateries is nice and charge reasonable price in hk? i am going to hk for 11 days on jetstar asia in mid july, pls do provide the address and the famous dish thanks :)

btw, i book jetstar asia at $290 return airfares including taxes, but if book earlier, can be as cheap as $250, but i found out after i book my tickets that air china and the brunei airline do fly to hk at about $300+ just abit more, so maybe u wan to consider taking china airlines

my recommendations are here: http://forums.hardwarezone.com/showthread.php?t=1328197

xiaolaohu

Reaction score
jestin_ng said:
For dorsett seaview. i will recommend you to do a direct hotel reservation. I suppose it will be a lil cheaper than the rates you have published. I did a check on the website. It stated SGD82 per room per night for standard room. Add additional 10% service charge, and 3% tax. Ard 92+SGD per night.

And of course booking with hotel, more secured i supposed.. haha

jsut my 2 cents :s12:
After u add up the taxes would ard 100+ also. Ya i agreed that book with hotel is more secured however, i had booked thr with octopus travel b4, so far i find that it is reliable and also this website is recommended by one of the mag that i had read. Hmm.. Anyway i will consider booking thr direct or by octopus travel.

Cheers

xiaolaohu

Reaction score
Btw anyone planning to go hk on 20 july and by jetstar asia? Sian... Jetstar airline fare is high....

xiaolaohu

Reaction score
khee said:
just explore urself... HK is pretty much like Sg... juz come back last Monday... HK is god damp HOT now... For those going soon, go buy some Sun block lotion... My gf and I become very tan after 1 day in disneyland...

if u do not have airport transfer, you can try the new promotion... HKD300 including 2 way airport express train, 3 day free MTR passes... we miss out on the promotion... when u reach the airport, remember to get the discount booklet... lots of discount vochour there... example, HKD5 off for express train between HK island to disneyland..

the skyrail open today... :) but take at ur own risk... last sat, during the trial run, the whole rail system stop becaz of a cable car jam before entering the station and the behind cable car almost ramp onto the front... some trial users was trap on the cable car for 1hr...
I going for 4 days 3 nites... So you have any idea if they gt promo for 4 day free mtr free pass instead?

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
xiaolaohu said:
I going for 4 days 3 nites... So you have any idea if they gt promo for 4 day free mtr free pass instead?
Nope, the octupus tourist is fixed at 3 days free MTR train rides and 2 way AE train. There's also a $20 credit for other transport on the card. Anyway, i doubt u will wan to travel anywhere on day 1 or day 4? And, the 3 days free rides only start from the first day u take a MRT train.

jestin_ng

Reaction score
xiaolaohu:

the dorset seaview is going at SGD 86 per room per night. AND hence, when inclusive of 10% service charge and 3% room tax. . Its less than 95SGD. U might want to do the calculation yourself :)

Btw. I feel that dorsett seaview is rather out of place. Too far .. Maybe U want to try YMCA Int House? YMCA Int House is very much closer to the Yau Ma Di MTR, as well as towards the ladies market..

You better be fast in ur hotel booking since, it is rather full right now. Summer sales ler~ YEah.

Urm, ohyah. My travel is on Jul 3-Jul10. 8 days 7 Nights. Chose to stay at Stanford Mongkok (Hope it doesnt fail my expecations lah..) For such a tight budget accomodation, guess I cant choose. lOl.Its going at SGD 90 bucks (already inclusive of taxes) from JetAbout. While YMCA Int House, is already full during this period for standard room. Hence I have to take the better room, Tower Room, at SGD 120 nett per room per night. After discussion, we agreed to Stanford Mongkok. Keep more cash to ourselves for shopping! Kekeke

Total I spent on Hotel for the whole stay is SGD630 nett. Going with a friend and hence 315 per each of us. I guess quite worth it.. Unless the hotel sux la. haha. I wernt to travel agencies ytd to do a quick check, and was rather surprised with the price they quoted me. SGD158 per room per night for Stanford MongKok Hotel. =.=''

By the way, the hotel recommended by my Hong Kong friend was Stanford Hillview, whihc Jetabout's rate is at SGD96 per room per night , inclusive of taxes. Maybe U want to call Jetabout? FYI, Jetabout is under Qantas, which means 1 big family with Holiday Tours, Qantas, Jetstarasia .. lOl..

Just give them a call, they will be most happy to help you.

jestin_ng

Reaction score
Koolabee said:
Do take a few photos of the Stanford Mongkok and update us!
Yeah. Gonna prepare for my travel intinery.. Havent really plan anything yet. =.=''

xiaolaohu

Reaction score
for me i planned for jetstar asia with taxes/hotel with all taxes/transport taKING mtr with airport transfer total ard 500 to 530.... now i wondered dorsett seaview convenient or YMCA better? waiting for my fren to go extend passport sg guys very suay one muz always go extend every year, unlike you gers no need so troublesome.

jestin_ng

Reaction score
xiaolaohu said:
for me i planned for jetstar asia with taxes/hotel with all taxes/transport taKING mtr with airport transfer total ard 500 to 530.... now i wondered dorsett seaview convenient or YMCA better? waiting for my fren to go extend passport sg guys very suay one muz always go extend every year, unlike you gers no need so troublesome.
haha.Icic.

For me, YMCA will be better. Thats why I took a week to decide whether to stay in Stanford Mongkok (its V.Much cheaper) than YMCA Int House's Tower room).

YMCA Int House is much more closer to Yau Ma Tei MTR. While from dorsett seaview, it takes some walking time. And if you decide to take a walk from dorsett seaview towards ladies market, that will be even furthur.

Try locating it on the maps.. My friend suggested YMCA Int House (mtr is around) for conveniency.

Maybe you might want to liase with the hotels directly, try getting a quote from them via email. Compare with the rates you can get from asia rooms/ octopus travel etc.

Check kktraval website for information on the hotels as well :)

Last edited:

bh0322

Reaction score
since dorsett seaview'slocation is not really that good so how about dorsett olympic? Is it better?

jestin_ng

Reaction score
dorsett olympic? urm its near the olympic station. But i find it relatively difficult to travel towards mongkok, unless taking mtr/bus. I wanted to cut down on unnescessary transportation. Rely on our trustworthly number 11. KAH - aka - leg.

so if you wanna choose between dorsett seaview / dorsett olympic. I suggest dorsett seaview. :)

Most prob spend more time walking towards those night markets if staying at dorsett seaview. Accordingly to my friend who frequents HK, its a 10 minute longer route towards ladies market as compared to YMCA Int House. Tiring seh.

Last edited:

strawwy

Reaction score
jestin_ng said:
dorsett olympic? urm its near the olympic station. But i find it relatively difficult to travel towards mongkok, unless taking mtr/bus. I wanted to cut down on unnescessary transportation. Rely on our trustworthly number 11. KAH - aka - leg.

so if you wanna choose between dorsett seaview / dorsett olympic. I suggest dorsett seaview. :)

Most prob spend more time walking towards those night markets if staying at dorsett seaview. Accordingly to my friend who frequents HK, its a 10 minute longer route towards ladies market as compared to YMCA Int House. Tiring seh.
yah... dosett seaview is very near to jade market & temple street, but i will consider it very far from ladies street and Fa Yuen Street..

I just came back on 25/06. realised that the ladies street closes quite early this time round... i supposed its due to World Cup?? haha... anyway most of their eateries open 24hrs during the world cup period...

some tips on shopping

Ladies Bags @
Temple street - reasonable price & good quality but less variety
Ladies Street - more expensive but good quality and slightly more variety than temple street.
Fa Yuen Street - cheap prices but quality not that good... wide varieties.

Generally... things @ Fa Yuen Streets are better IMO.
Tee Shirts @ HKD$10-15,
Bags @ HKD$20-$80,
Shoes/Sandals @ HKD$59-$99,
No Brand Jeans @ HKD$19-25,
Watches/Earrings/Hair accessories @ HKD$20-25

Shopping Malls
Langham Place - the things are generally more exp. Shopping malls mah...
Mongkok New City (Mongkok MTR EXIT D2) - alot of small shops that sells ladies clothings and accessories etc.. (abit like our Far East Plaza). Prices quite reasonable too...
There were quite alot of streets performances going on at the area outside langham place during the weekends... consider it quite a crowded place. same goes at Ladies Street

For my 4D3N trip, We bought octopus card instead of airport express card, and did not even finished using the value inside. ($50-deposit, $100-value). so feel that airport express card not worth it...

If you are considering of taking City Flyer A21 (Bus), may want to consider buying the bus tickets @HKD$55 for two tickets; to and fro airport. You can also use octopus card to pay for the bus fare too but will be @ HKD$33 per trip.

Do bring along umbrellas/caps.. the weather is really hot... SUN BLOCK is a MUST!!.

jestin_ng

Reaction score
strawwy said:
yah... dosett seaview is very near to jade market & temple street, but i will consider it very far from ladies street and Fa Yuen Street..

Haha.. Erh, have you got ur travel itinerary?? hehe. Do share~~

Btw, which hotel did u stay in? Perhaps we shld have a HongKong Hotels thread. Post info+pics of the hotels. Easier to do referencing huh! lol.

Heard from my frn that jade market, temple street seems to quiet down alot? Not as much things i suppose.

Looking forward for my trip on next mon!

xiaolaohu

Reaction score
strawwy said:

I just came back on 25/06. realised that the ladies street closes quite early this time round... i supposed its due to World Cup?? haha... anyway most of their eateries open 24hrs during the world cup period...

some tips on shopping

Ladies Bags @
Temple street - reasonable price & good quality but less variety
Ladies Street - more expensive but good quality and slightly more variety than temple street.
Fa Yuen Street - cheap prices but quality not that good... wide varieties.

Generally... things @ Fa Yuen Streets are better IMO.
Tee Shirts @ HKD$10-15,
Bags @ HKD$20-$80,
Shoes/Sandals @ HKD$59-$99,
No Brand Jeans @ HKD$19-25,
Watches/Earrings/Hair accessories @ HKD$20-25

Shopping Malls
Langham Place - the things are generally more exp. Shopping malls mah...
Mongkok New City (Mongkok MTR EXIT D2) - alot of small shops that sells ladies clothings and accessories etc.. (abit like our Far East Plaza). Prices quite reasonable too...
There were quite alot of streets performances going on at the area outside langham place during the weekends... consider it quite a crowded place. same goes at Ladies Street

For my 4D3N trip, We bought octopus card instead of airport express card, and did not even finished using the value inside. ($50-deposit, $100-value). so feel that airport express card not worth it...

If you are considering of taking City Flyer A21 (Bus), may want to consider buying the bus tickets @HKD$55 for two tickets; to and fro airport. You can also use octopus card to pay for the bus fare too but will be @ HKD$33 per trip.

Do bring along umbrellas/caps.. the weather is really hot... SUN BLOCK is a MUST!!.
You mentioned about buying the octopus card instead of airport express card... I also going for 4 days 3 nites trip and my fren and I decided to take airport express and mtr to our hotel and we would be very frequent taking the mtr for tt 4 days and MTR right nw gt a promotion: (3 days unlimited mtr trips and 2 airport express trips and HK$20 stored amt) for a total of HK$300 however we also going for 4 days and same situation as u as we find that it is not worth it.. den nw i also dunno whether shld i buy the normal octopus card or tourist octopus carD? does anyone gt suggestions?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.