HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

Cold_Zero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CharmanderWong said:
Yes can get the octupus card from the airport, theres an airport express counter in the arrivals hall, price depending on weather u getting the tourist octupus or the normal octupus.

my suggestion (again) is that get the tourist if u taking airport express trains, and get the normal one if u taking cityflyer to ur hotel. Tourist octupus will include a complementery 3days(fixed) mrt ride.

Tourist: http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/help/tourists/en/index.jsp
Normal: http://www.octopuscards.com/consumer/products/cardtype/en/loan.jsp

hope it helps =)

thanks for the link dude.
icon14.gif

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Also take note, you can top up your octupus card at many place including 7-11.
Is really good.

hplanet

Reaction score
you can also buy some snack and newpaper from 7-11 using your octupus card

sindy82

Reaction score
hotel

Hi,

Anyone knows of any hotel with triple sharing at a gd price? prefer to stay near mongkok. Going in August but no more promo for jetstarasia. Will there be any promo coming up?

pompousboy

Reaction score
Wah. When did u book ur tickets? Quite pricy tho.. 383?!?

Yea. Too bad I wasn't leaving on the morning flight (I'm taking the afternoon). The morning flight was $59, The afternoon was $118. The evening return flight is $159.

devilish_me

Reaction score
just got back from HK yesterday..geez..the weather was crazy...one minute the sun was blazing hot and scorching our backs..and the next minute..it was pouring. we were kinda lucky though..'cos we managed to catch the SAR celebrations and also some fireworks. however, kinda disappointed when it started to pour during the Symphony of Lights and everything was blurry. we were anticipating a lot of shopping but to our surprise..we were actually bored by the lack of uniqueness of the products as well as the high prices. so after 2 days of window shopping (without buying anything!)...we decided to give up and visited Lantau Island instead. Lantau Island was great...the big buddha oozed serenity..away from the hustle and bustle of the mad city life. We had the most wonderful vegetarian meal at the monastry for just HKG60/pax. The view from above was great, the air fresh and it was really windy..we felt 'cleansed'!

After the big buddha...we visited Tai O. interesting to see the traditional fishing villages...quite unspoilt from all the rapid developments on mainland HK. You see people leading simple lives...where the living condition though bad...but seems really idyllic. Lantau island is really huge...and we travelled from one place to another on aircon buses. We took a ferry one way and the MTR the other way just to experience different modes of travel.

Victoria Peak was great too. The first time i was there..it was morning and the view seemed less fantastic. but the night scene from up above was amazing..and v romantic! but we had to jostle our way to get a good view...'cos there were tonnes of tourists up there and everyone was fighting for a good spot to take photos and enjoy the view (& fireworks too).

we checked out SoHo in the day...we weren't really dressed for nightouts at Soho 'cos the only things in our backpacks were t-shirts, shorts and thongs (i mean the slippers not g-string!). we were expecting exorbitant prices but suprisingly...we got a hearty lunch set for only HKG70 which included a soup/appetiser, main course (steak/fish/chicken/pasta - take your pick), dessert and coffee/tea. i thought that was a fairly decent price...beer also seemed cheaper as compared to singapore. i'd say..cool/stylish eateries..and great place to people watch and chill.

it's amazing how hongkongers are so crazy about mangoes. coincidentally...i'm a great mango lover (but my poor friend hates it). it seemed to me that 75% of the dessert are mango-based?!!! my mango-hater friend was visibly upset...but boy, i had tough times trying to decide which mango dessert i want 'cos everything looked so yummilicious. best dessert that i've eaten there is from Hui Lau Shan...geez, they really know how to make their desserts!!! must try!

of course...we also checked out the famous sweet dynasty (great food but so-so desserts..a bit pricier), maxim, da bai dang etc. one restaurant which we just happened to chance upon while out food-searching late one night was Harbour Charm (no. 182 nathan road) - great porridge @ fairly decent prices!!

we stayed at the infamous chungking...we were expecting the worst but we realised all the scary tales were highly exaggerated. sure..there were lots of africans staying/hanging around the place but we didn't feel threatened 'cos those people were just like us..wanting a cheap place to stay in. our room (Li's Hostel) was very decent, clean with tv and ensuite (no window though). however, we were a tad worried about fire safety 'cos we actually witnessed a fire at a building just a couple blocks away from chungking. we realised the emergency exit stairways were narrow/dark and often obstructed by junks. but apart from that...we were quite comfortable in our little budget hostel.

for those of you heading out there in the coming week...my suggestion is to bring an umbrella...'cos i think downpours are expected later part of this week and probably next week too. in any case..you can use the umbrella for rain or shine! have fun exploring this interesting country of varied landscapes

Last edited:

khee

Reaction score
CharmanderWong said:
Airport to Kowloon take either cityflyer A21/A22, most likely will stop within 100m of ur hotel.
Cost: around HK$35 one way per person
Airport MTR(Airport express) to Kowloon station, with free shuttle direct to ur hotel lobby.
Cost: HK$90 one way per person
Taxi from Airport to Kownloon, direct to ur hotel lobby also...
Cost: around Hk$350 per cab

Decide for urself!
BTW... on the Cityflyer airport bus... There is a 50% discount on the way back... However the system do not work like Singapore. It will not automatically detect that it is return trip. There is a button that mentioned 50% return trip. Press tat before tapping ur optopus card... as for me, I notice the button after i tap the card... lugi HKD20.... anyway no choice liao...

dolphingalgal

Reaction score
devilish_me said:
just got back from HK yesterday..geez..the weather was crazy...one minute the sun was blazing hot and scorching our backs..and the next minute..it was pouring. we were kinda lucky though..'cos we managed to catch the SAR celebrations and also some fireworks. however, kinda disappointed when it started to pour during the Symphony of Lights and everything was blurry. we were anticipating a lot of shopping but to our surprise..we were actually bored by the lack of uniqueness of the products as well as the high prices. so after 2 days of window shopping (without buying anything!)...we decided to give up and visited Lantau Island instead. Lantau Island was great...the big buddha oozed serenity..away from the hustle and bustle of the mad city life. We had the most wonderful vegetarian meal at the monastry for just HKG60/pax. The view from above was great, the air fresh and it was really windy..we felt 'cleansed'!

After the big buddha...we visited Tai O. interesting to see the traditional fishing villages...quite unspoilt from all the rapid developments on mainland HK. You see people leading simple lives...where the living condition though bad...but seems really idyllic. Lantau island is really huge...and we travelled from one place to another on aircon buses. We took a ferry one way and the MTR the other way just to experience different modes of travel.
Wao!! great!! I'll going HK in mid August..will also visit Lantau Island...U explore urself or thru agent??? coz i heard from others that it's not easy to explore in Lantau Island...is preferably to get an agent there for 1 day trip..Wat do u suggest since u just back from there????

TQTQ!!

devilish_me

Reaction score
dolphingalgal said:
Wao!! great!! I'll going HK in mid August..will also visit Lantau Island...U explore urself or thru agent??? coz i heard from others that it's not easy to explore in Lantau Island...is preferably to get an agent there for 1 day trip..Wat do u suggest since u just back from there????

TQTQ!!
we explored on our own. actually..there are only a few key attractions in lantau...and all accessible by buses. so i think you are quite safe on your own.

there's a bus station at the ferry terminal as well as the MTR station. the bus routes are clearly stated (incl the bus fares)...so very unlikely to take the wrong bus.

we spend only half day at lantau. we took a fast ferry from central pier...then a direct bus to the big buddha. from the big buddha...we took a direct bus to Tai O. and from Tai O...we took a direct bus to the MTR station where we took a train back to TST. v easy. if going to disneyland...just need to change train at the next station.

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
khee said:
BTW... on the Cityflyer airport bus... There is a 50% discount on the way back... However the system do not work like Singapore. It will not automatically detect that it is return trip. There is a button that mentioned 50% return trip. Press tat before tapping ur optopus card... as for me, I notice the button after i tap the card... lugi HKD20.... anyway no choice liao...
Hmm, nt sure about this?
The last time i send someone off to the airport i used the service and the half price was automatic. However that was same day return, using standard octupus card.

Uh oh, i think i need a visit to lantau soon, din know buses roam the hills nowdays.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
CharmanderWong said:
Hmm, nt sure about this?
The last time i send someone off to the airport i used the service and the half price was automatic. However that was same day return, using standard octupus card.

Uh oh, i think i need a visit to lantau soon, din know buses roam the hills nowdays.

The Octupus system is really good. 50% discount only apply if your return trip is on the same day. Good for those who go airport to receive a friend.
The system will track your time when you board the bus.

I think same apply to Airport express. Return trip is free is it is on the same day.

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jaymz21 said:
charmander, u really know a lot :) guess you are from there?

anyway, think need to buy the octopus card from the airport. cos the damn money changer gave me all 1000 notes. need to get smaller notes else those stalls will use the uv light and check my 1k notes for authenticity again. haha

If you have a credit card. Use your credit card to buy.

khee

Reaction score
cscs3 said:
The Octupus system is really good. 50% discount only apply if your return trip is on the same day. Good for those who go airport to receive a friend.
The system will track your time when you board the bus.

I think same apply to Airport express. Return trip is free is it is on the same day.
oic... i though me lugi liao... somemore the LED display on the bus keep flashing "50% discount on return trip"...

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
khee said:
oic... i though me lugi liao... somemore the LED display on the bus keep flashing "50% discount on return trip"...

Also for those use Octupus card. Watch out for some of those terminal (looks like small ATM) is some shooping center. Tap on it and if you leave with MTR nearby, you get HK$1 discount on your trip.

For those who do not intend to use Octupus card or Tourist ticket on Airport Express. Get those 2 to go (or 3 , 4 to go). Ticket. You save HK$20 for each person.

Last edited:

ralph555

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm planning to go HK this oct 06 with my gf and it's our 1st time to HK. I'm still blur after reading up this thread. :s11:

any kind soul can pm information or itenarary on 5d/4n F&E?

:)

xiaolaohu

Reaction score
I just booked my F&E tour to HKG for end of July for S$531 for 4d3n. I think is quite cheap, as initially wanted to booked jetstar asia, but promo is over and after calculated the whole cost on my d.i.y w/o any promo will cost me ard 500+ also or slightly cheaper than the one i booked. My tour package include : Cathay pacific/airport transfer/one day city tour(need tip tour guide HKG 50)/YMCA international house(in front of Yau Mei MTR). I not sure whether the promo is over, but if u guys is interested can go people park to whacky whacky about the promo before decide.

Right now, what i need is more exciting places for the planning of iternary. Like what restaurant or place nice to eat. where best to shop( dun wan to be karate by those ppl/good quality/cheap) heehee.. seemed alot of conditions.. If u guys/gers know of any such places, recommend me.. Thks...

hoonming

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi xiaolaohu,

is the S$531 including tax?

at which agent did you book your tour?

Cold_Zero

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hi guys who have been to dragoninnhk, how they accept payment? cash only or can use cards too?

zaxh81

Reaction score
Cold_Zero said:
hi guys who have been to dragoninnhk, how they accept payment? cash only or can use cards too?
you need to pay 1 day deposit through card.Just email them your length of stay and they will reply you back with amount and payment link.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.