Thread all abt ROLEX

Status
Not open for further replies.

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
maguses said:
Haha quite worth it leh, 179. Can display next to ur 5.5K explorer. So u buying explorer?
It sounds like datejust is not u... don't resist, just give in! And join the club!

Dunno leh, let me think about it some more....:D

See the physical watch itself, comparing the dj and the explorer, the explorer seems like toy watch, the new datejust is alot more solid looking.

But of cause, the explorer is still dam n nice

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pew said:
Dunno leh, let me think about it some more....:D

See the physical watch itself, comparing the dj and the explorer, the explorer seems like toy watch, the new datejust is alot more solid looking.

But of cause, the explorer is still dam n nice

ARRGHHHHH I DON'T KNOW....

I am having a love hate thingy with the new date just.

1 day see nice, another day see not nice

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pew said:
ARRGHHHHH I DON'T KNOW....

I am having a love hate thingy with the new date just.

1 day see nice, another day see not nice
img0280no0.jpg

new DJ with this dial...quite nice wah...

ohlins

Reaction score
pew said:
What is the difference between

AirKing and Oyster Perpetual no date

Date and DateJust?

date is 34mm.....datejust 36mm......same movement 3135

boysize datejust 31mm

airking 34mm...caliber 3130....

oyster perpetual 34mm ...same movement but is a certified chronometer....so its more expensive....

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:
img0280no0.jpg

new DJ with this dial...quite nice wah...

I saw a old DJ, this dial, fluted bezel and jubilee bracelet. 4k+ only. Almost decided :D

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ohlins said:
date is 34mm.....datejust 36mm......same movement 3135

boysize datejust 31mm

airking 34mm...caliber 3130....

oyster perpetual 34mm ...same movement but is a certified chronometer....so its more expensive....

Airking and Explorer 1 both using 3130, how cum air king not certified? I thot certification is for the movement? Or is it the watch itself?

ohlins

Reaction score
pew said:
Airking and Explorer 1 both using 3130, how cum air king not certified? I thot certification is for the movement? Or is it the watch itself?

yeah same movement for airking and exp 1 as well.......exp 1 is 36mm though......as to why rolex did not send the 3130 in airkings for cosc testing, only they know.....maybe it's to meet a price point....

u r right.....cosc certification is for movements only......

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pew said:
send for cert must pay $$$ leh..the Sub non-date using 3130 also no cert mah...if send cert must pay more $$ you want bo...

boobip

Reaction score
Flaming said:
is 45mm dia x 12.5 mm thickness big for asians hands?
45mm is alright on Asian hands, u just need 2 weeks to get used to the looks. But thereafter, dun think u'll be able to live with anything smaller than 45mm. My 2 cents.

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:
send for cert must pay $$$ leh..the Sub non-date using 3130 also no cert mah...if send cert must pay more $$ you want bo...

no mah.....if certify the movement, means as long as it's a 3130 it's certified already.
even if put in plastic casing, it's still should be a certified 3130 right?

ohlins

Reaction score
pew said:
no mah.....if certify the movement, means as long as it's a 3130 it's certified already.

it does not work like that......each movement is individually certified by cosc.......one cert for one movement....

they dun certify the movement design per se....

so e.g. for airking, the 3130 used were never sent to cosc......that's why u only see "precision" and not "superlative chronometer officially certified" printed on the dial....

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
pew said:
the timezone Rolex faq got answer about COSC mah..

What is COSC certification? What Rolexes have it?
Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronometers (COSC) is the Swiss center that tests watch movements. The chronometer specifications are -4 to +6 seconds per day under a variety of temperatures and positions (orientations) for large mechanical wristwatches. COSC also has a test for quartz movements, but it is stricter and less common. In 2001 Rolex certified 761,601 movements (gents and ladies), 573 were OysterQuartz. The movements are tested partially assembled (auto mechanisms, date mechanisms and the like are not installed) and before the movement is installed in the case. After final assembly, Rolex retests the watch. For more information (and to find out what the most accurate movement probably is (hint: it's a Rolex, but not what you'd guess)) read WatchBore's Inside COSC article.
Information on what models are and are not certified is coming soon.

for more read this > http://www.timezone.com/library/wbore//wbore631733384647656250

snip3r

Banned
Reaction score
benqhoo said:

Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronometers (COSC) is the Swiss center that tests watch movements. The chronometer specifications are -4 to +6 seconds per day under a variety of temperatures and positions (orientations) for large mechanical wristwatches. COSC also has a test for quartz movements, but it is stricter and less common. In 2001 Rolex certified 761,601 movements (gents and ladies), 573 were OysterQuartz. The movements are tested partially assembled (auto mechanisms, date mechanisms and the like are not installed) and before the movement is installed in the case. After final assembly, Rolex retests the watch. For more information (and to find out what the most accurate movement probably is (hint: it's a Rolex, but not what you'd guess)) read WatchBore's Inside COSC article.

for more read this > http://www.timezone.com/library/wbore//wbore631733384647656250
thanks for link..if ppl really want to have an ACCURATE watch should they be looking at other mechanism?

nautilus

Master Member
Reaction score
benqhoo said:

I would take the Timezone article with a pinch of salt. COSC certification is probably the most overhyped certification in the watch industry. Note that COSC tests only the movements prior to final assembly. This means that there are tons of things that could go wrong AFTER the COSC process. Personally, i would say tests such as JLC 1000hr master control is a far more accurate test as the tests are performed after final assembly. Also, other top end brands do not even bother about COSC as their in-house quality control far surpasses those of COSC. Take lange & sohne for example, every movement is put together, regulated, tested, taken apart, only to be put back together and retested all over again.

With regards to the point on rolex's movement being the most accurate movement out there, is very far fetched indeed. Compared to observatory pieces, rolex's movements (and most others for a matter of fact) differs by a long shot. The best and most accurate movements are usually very hard to come by, observatory pieces, and they're usually equiped with a guillame balance instead of the scantily laser poised, 4 screwed balance that rolex uses. Note that i did not say that rolex movements are bad, rather it's by no means the most accurate movement out there.

Last edited:

benqhoo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
A. Lange & Söhne..just look at the price tag...they and oyster diff class lah..:crazy:

ohlins

Reaction score
well, unless there is a new testing programme with tighter specs, there is no way of knowing which movement is the most accurate.....at the very least, cosc is independent........is the current specs of -4/+6 secs per day good enuff? perhaps it is....most ppl that buy a swiss mechanical watch probably dun give a damn anyway......if they want anything more accurate, then a quartz watch is a better choice...

other manufactures can claim how good their own QC is.......to me that is akin to blowing their own trumpet.....the specs could be super duper tight......but there is no independent assessment.......at the end of the day, brand A can claim their engine makes 250 hp but until someone dynos the engine and reveals the actual performance chart, it is still a manufacturer claimed 250 hp....

haha ultimately we can all argue until the cows come home......but the fact remains that rolex makes good quality watches that r pretty accurate at slightly unreasonable prices....:p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.