HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

redders

Reaction score
snowieezz said:
roughly what time does fa yuen street and ladies street closes?

I am thinking what night activies i can put in the iternary...coz so far most nights seem empty after about 10pm... hehe :)

seems rather empty before 11am also.. so now i can include Fa Yuen Street for mornings too ~ :)

by the way, is the symphony of lights show worth going or can give it a miss?

anyone been to argyle centre? i heard got a lot of shops selling toys and collectibles like gashapons there etc. anyone knows where is CTMA centre and what time does CTMA / argyle centre opens too ? :)

I will be staying at Mongkok area during my trip.

Yeah, after breakfast you can go Fa Yuen street, go see the HK market liftstyle and goldfish street

Ladies street closes at night around 11pm - 11.30pm, not sure about Fa Yeun, could close earlier. Anyway if you stay near Mongkok area, should be no problem stay late for Ladies street.

Symphony of lights ? where? Avenue of stars ? yes worth a visit if you yet to see night skyline of HK.

Have been to argyle centre and CTMA, yes a lot of toy shops there. Argyle centre is in Mongkok area, entrance (a stairway that you could go up or down) is not easy to locate, its along the stretch of shops and a McDonald along Argyle street. if you locate a McDonald a long there, you are very close liao.

CTMA is very obvious, it same area as Ladies street, big logo says CTMA, cannot miss, ask pple sure know.

Argyle is a late opener, goes around 4pm to be sure all shops are open, CTMA go after 1pm - 2pm.

Last edited:

redders

Reaction score
snowieezz said:
anyone knows where is Golden Plaza in Hong Kong?

the website http://www.goldenplaza.com.hk/ says its in mongkok... however i dun see such a place in the mongkok map...

I read its intro briefly, looks like an online store instead of a shop space.

If provided the actual address, could locate.

snowieezz

Reaction score
redders thanks for the reply!

sorry for asking so many questions too.. coz am very long.. first time to HK :)

Do u happen to know nice food in mongkok area?

i will be staying at langham place hotel.. heard about HK's yummy "zhu chang fen"

u know where to find breakfast in that area? or any nice food to recommend like.. yummy pork chop noodles or nice desserts etc?

Any nice bakeries in mongkok area too? I was thinking if possible to buy some egg tarts back for my family in the morning just before i depart and leave the hotel that day for the airport

thanks for much ! :)

redders

Reaction score
snowieezz said:
redders thanks for the reply!

sorry for asking so many questions too.. coz am very long.. first time to HK :)

Do u happen to know nice food in mongkok area?

i will be staying at langham place hotel.. heard about HK's yummy "zhu chang fen"

u know where to find breakfast in that area? or any nice food to recommend like.. yummy pork chop noodles or nice desserts etc?

Any nice bakeries in mongkok area too? I was thinking if possible to buy some egg tarts back for my family in the morning just before i depart and leave the hotel that day for the airport

thanks for much ! :)

Oh Langham place? I stayed there before and is a great choice for 5* hotel and convenient. XMAS deco should be very nice at this point of time.

The Mongkok MTR entrance is directly in front of Langham Place, your hotel room maybe could even look across the streets to see Ladies street.

Food ? No problem around Langham place. Get off the hotel by lift to the street, turn left (should see some newspaper stands and convenient store) and walk about 20m to hit the other road on the left. Along the roadside (walk to the left) is busy, you could find a store selling all sort of HK porridges , Chu Cheong Fun and dumplings etc (the stall manned by uncles and aunties one), a shop selling fish ball/beef noodles, hor fun (near to bus terminal) etc.

Opposite the road you could see a coffee (big red shop name )shop/resturant, could go over there for HK style breakfast, milk tea (lai Cha), bolo bun, macroroni with ham etc.

Please be warn that its very busy in the morning, HK office crowd tends to have breakfast at all these places before heading to work:)

At night if you are hungry, you could still visit that noodle stote (24hrs if I recalled) at corner near the hotel to "tapau" (in HK term they call it hang kai - street walking) noodles/hor fun back to hotel enjoy. Its cool to taste hot soap in a cold night.

If you prefer not so localised food, in Langham hotel there are couple of restuarants too e.g Italian, Chinese etc.

Deserts wise I think there is a couple of shops along ladies street.

Egg tarts? No idea but "Lao po" biscuits can be found at airport when you go back.

Last edited:

kasyes

Reaction score
The Octopus card - it is something like our Transitlink card, right? that can travel on MRT and bus?

But the Octopus card - can it be used on MTR, Citybus and KCR? Is there a 1 day pass or 3 days pass type? How much is it?

Many thanks for your help...

redders

Reaction score
kasyes said:
The Octopus card - it is something like our Transitlink card, right? that can travel on MRT and bus?

But the Octopus card - can it be used on MTR, Citybus and KCR? Is there a 1 day pass or 3 days pass type? How much is it?

Many thanks for your help...

Check this site up:)

http://www.mtr.com.hk/eng/train/ae_tourtickete.htm

For those who is having headache how to get from airport to town area, can take the Airport Express, very fast, comfortable and convenient :) On the way out of immgration at HK airport, there's a info counter to ask and purchase tics.

IMO I don't really see the need to get a Octopus card as you don't really travel on buses in Hk, most places are accessible by MTR. You could try the tram in HK island if you like

Another site to visit, a lot of info on HK:
http://www.discoverhongkong.com/eng/index.jsp

Winterfest is back, same as last year, its located at Zhong Wan (Central), FOC, can go take pic with giant XMAS tree, Santa(Angmo) etc.

Last edited:

snowieezz

Reaction score
thanks for the help redders :)

where is the winterfest located?

just outside Central MTR?

yea.. i mentioned about the symphony of lights... hehehe..

if i go on saturday to see it, would it be alright?

anything that I can do after 10pm in Mongkok area?

Heard the shops in Langham place closes quite early.

any nice eatries located in the langham place shopping mall that you intro ? :)

redders

Reaction score
snowieezz said:
thanks for the help redders :)

where is the winterfest located?

just outside Central MTR?

yea.. i mentioned about the symphony of lights... hehehe..

if i go on saturday to see it, would it be alright?

anything that I can do after 10pm in Mongkok area?

Heard the shops in Langham place closes quite early.

any nice eatries located in the langham place shopping mall that you intro ? :)

Yup, Winterfest just above Central MTR

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/hkwf/eng/festival_overview/festival_overview.html

Symphony of lights is on every night at 8pm, along Avenue of Stars.

Langham shops closed around 10.30pm -11pm. Langham eating places is just around the corner (same 2nd level) to the lifts that lead to the hotel reception and rooms. I cannot really recalled exactly what they have, but I think there are Japanese, Italian and some cosmoplitan resturants. Pretty ex though. Outside food maybe better:)

There's this "Dai Ka Lok" food chain restuarant 2nd level in the buliding just opposite the hotel building at the MTR entrance, they have combo meals at reasonable price. Can try too.

After 10pm in Mongkok what to do? Guess if you just want to stick around that area, all you could do is go ladies street and shop around there or find a place to sit down and have tea and food.

On other nights, you could go to Temple streets too, another "pasar malam" area but again closed at around 11pm to 12mn.

On the other hand, did you missed out Causeway Bay in your schedule?

Official site for Langham Place hotel:
http://hongkong.langhamplacehotels.com/

galacticnick

Reaction score
does anyone have any idea what time do the outlets at citygate shopping centre usually close?

Last edited:

beasure

Reaction score
:D hi, need some help from all you guys out there!!
anybody been to HK during CNY time?? is it very quiet (i mean, all shops. street markets n restaurants closed??)
cos planning to go during that time!! so pls help, n if anybody have been there during that time, pls share your experience!!
thank you so much in advance!!!;)

CharmanderWong

Reaction score
beasure said:
:D hi, need some help from all you guys out there!!
anybody been to HK during CNY time?? is it very quiet (i mean, all shops. street markets n restaurants closed??)
cos planning to go during that time!! so pls help, n if anybody have been there during that time, pls share your experience!!
thank you so much in advance!!!;)
Hmm, i think i posted an reply on this one year ago, seems like during CNY its more or less normal as normal days, shops, street markets still there and even more ppl in the streets. Some restaurants may close for rest on the first day but most will still be open.

snowieezz

Reaction score
redders said:
Yup, Winterfest just above Central MTR

http://www.discoverhongkong.com/hkwf/eng/festival_overview/festival_overview.html

Symphony of lights is on every night at 8pm, along Avenue of Stars.

Langham shops closed around 10.30pm -11pm. Langham eating places is just around the corner (same 2nd level) to the lifts that lead to the hotel reception and rooms. I cannot really recalled exactly what they have, but I think there are Japanese, Italian and some cosmoplitan resturants. Pretty ex though. Outside food maybe better:)

There's this "Dai Ka Lok" food chain restuarant 2nd level in the buliding just opposite the hotel building at the MTR entrance, they have combo meals at reasonable price. Can try too.

After 10pm in Mongkok what to do? Guess if you just want to stick around that area, all you could do is go ladies street and shop around there or find a place to sit down and have tea and food.

On other nights, you could go to Temple streets too, another "pasar malam" area but again closed at around 11pm to 12mn.

On the other hand, did you missed out Causeway Bay in your schedule?

Official site for Langham Place hotel:
http://hongkong.langhamplacehotels.com/

ya... i think i missed out causeway Bay... whats there to do at causeway bay?

any recommendations? :)

redders

Reaction score
snowieezz said:

Its basically shopping and shopping at Causeway Bay, SOGO, Toy R us and many other malls are there.:)

qqspot

Reaction score
redders said:
Most of the days you reached hotel by 9pm?? That's pretty early IMO, Hk shops closed around 11pm and there is plenty to do after 9pm:p
Around Mongkok Area shop will close at around after midnight...
LKF will close when there no customers...
Causeway Bay are are around 1100hrs...

Some HKIA, Cha Chang Tin, K Mart, 7/11, Welcome Supermarket are 24/7.

qqspot

Reaction score
Wiki ----> Hang Kai

"tapau" (in HK term they call it hang kai - street walking)

Ta Pau = Take away in our Singapore Terms
Hang Kai = Take away in Hong Kong Terms

Hang Kai is in Cantonese,
which mean Street Walking, Walking Along The Streets, Take Away.

qqspot

Reaction score
snowieezz said:
Wiki --> Causeway Bay
Causeway Bay, another Shopping & Food heaven....
Causeway Bay or East Point is a heavily built-up area of Hong Kong, located on the northern shore of Hong Kong Island, and covering parts of Wan Chai and Eastern districts. The Chinese name is also romanized as Tung Lo Wan as in Tung Lo Wan Road (銅鑼灣道).

Shopping Recommend
Sogo, Times Square, World Trade Centre, Shops Along the Streets...

Food Recommend
Krispy Kreme Doughnuts, Sun Fat Congee Shop, Yao Tsee Sun serving sweet, deep-fried cow-tongue shaped pastries for the past 50 years.
Fried Yu Tiao wrap with Cheong Fun for breakfast.
Lots of Resturants, Cosy Cafe nearby also...

Sai Wan Ho MTR, got the best Won Chai Ci in Hong Kong

beasure

Reaction score
CNY

to Charmander Wong: thanks for your reply.
need your advise..... we are planning to go HK from 2nd to 7th day of CNY, will places like Ladies Street, Fa Yuen Street, Temple Street be open during this period??=:p

qqspot

Reaction score
Just Notice there is another BIG BIG Christmas Tree at festival walk at kwoloon tong MTR...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.