Which Graphics card to buy in Y2024

dreamz13

Master Member
Reaction score
The price difference is not that great anyway, so I will probably go for 8600GT too.

tenyawph

Master Member
Reaction score
dreamz13 said:
The price difference is not that great anyway, so I will probably go for 8600GT too.
Going for Eagle 8600GT? This card occupies 3 PCI slots, due to the size of cooler.

It is a 'no frills' card, meaning minimal software/utilities, yet comes with high factory overclock for core and memory, unique cooler design, 2-year warranty, and a low, low price of S$199. What more can we ask?

onestoptakeaway

Reaction score
tenyawph said:
Going for Eagle 8600GT? This card occupies 3 PCI slots, due to the size of cooler.

It is a 'no frills' card, meaning minimal software/utilities, yet comes with high factory overclock for core and memory, unique cooler design, 2-year warranty, and a low, low price of S$199. What more can we ask?

Actually the space requirement for the cooler really depends on individual MoBo setup and for those that are having the PCI 1X inbetween the PCI-E 16X and the usually PCI should not be wasting 3 slots I think. Take my ASRock for instance, there is a AGP and PCI 1X so basically not affected at all.

tenyawph

Master Member
Reaction score
onestoptakeaway said:
Actually the space requirement for the cooler really depends on individual MoBo setup and for those that are having the PCI 1X inbetween the PCI-E 16X and the usually PCI should not be wasting 3 slots I think. Take my ASRock for instance, there is a AGP and PCI 1X so basically not affected at all.
Lucky you. In essential, 2 slots to the left of the card will be occupied. The 2 slots can be the following combinations, depending on the design of the m/b:

a) 1 PCI and 1 PCIe
b) 2 x PCI
c) 1 AGP, 1 PCIe

jimmy_sg

Reaction score
Hi All,

Will be getting a new CPU, thinking of either ASUS 7900GS Top or XpVision X1950Pro 512MB. Which one is more recommended? Or will it be more worthwhile to get 8600GT(OC) version.

p/s: personally prefer ASUS 7900GS TOP... Budget 300 and below

tenyawph

Master Member
Reaction score
jimmy_sg said:
Hi All,

Will be getting a new CPU, thinking of either ASUS 7900GS Top or XpVision X1950Pro 512MB. Which one is more recommended? Or will it be more worthwhile to get 8600GT(OC) version.

p/s: personally prefer ASUS 7900GS TOP... Budget 300 and below
I personally will take the Xpertvision X1950pro 512MB. No doubt the ASUS 7900GS beats the Xpertvision X1950pro in all the games benchmarked (you can check my 2nd posting on the review of the ASUS 7900GS TOP), but it is doing so marginally for most of the games. I favor Xpertvision because of the 512MB over the ASUS 256MB for almost the same price.

Get the Eagle 8600GT (OC), only if you are tight on budget (i.e. S$200). This card is going to lose to both the Xpertvision and ASUS in DirectX 9 performance. What about DirectX 10 games, you ask. For sure, DirectX 9 cards will still run DirectX 10 games, just that you don't get to see prettier graphics.

xonix

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ATI still haven got a fix for resolution scaling right?

I'm also contemplating an upgrade once I get my 20"WS from 7600gt

Prob will get 7900gs cos nvidia at least have options to scale properly to lower rez... without distortion

Keyven

Reaction score
I know some people need to get a upgrade NOW, but for those who can, wait for the ATi R600 cards to be released in mid-may.

I believe you will regret when you finally see Nvidia prices drop due to direct competition... plus the R600 looks awesome... comparable (apparently) to 8800 GTX performance at GTS 320Mb prices... i'm glad i didn't go ahead and upgrade last week

tenyawph

Master Member
Reaction score
Keyven said:
I know some people need to get a upgrade NOW, but for those who can, wait for the ATi R600 cards to be released in mid-may.

I believe you will regret when you finally see Nvidia prices drop due to direct competition... plus the R600 looks awesome... comparable (apparently) to 8800 GTX performance at GTS 320Mb prices... i'm glad i didn't go ahead and upgrade last week
You mean the R600 will be priced at S$500+?

slamdunk7

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
what type of graphics cards do laptops use? is it the same as desktops?

maxhurt

Reaction score
Apparently the high-end ATI cards will cost no higher than a current 8800GTS, iirc. So with that statement, it is safe to just wait and see the market until then, possibly until a month after R600's release. Provided that you can carry on playing games, that is.

Mobile GPUs are soldered chips, they are not cards. Right now they are not as modular as the mobile CPUs, so no luck. There are specialized places to get a GPU replacement done professionally but not in SG, and some websites can teach you.

I still don't get why mobo manufacturers are not thinking of a way to maximize space when cards like these are so huge. I personally think there is a way to design the board to let a graphics card have its own space, rather than sacrificing a few components. Well I've only been trying to draw it out on paper :s13: However we still don't know which way graphics cards will go from here, especially when we are hearing plans for cpu-cum-gpu sorta things. So i guess we gotta deal with a few sacrifices when gaming is a priority.

ngjingming

Reaction score
is DX10 only for Vista? or for XP also coming out.

ok nvm stupid qns. only for Vista.

i ask ah... should upgrade to vista? or wait like a year more or sth until it has stabalised... and if upgrade to vista, should i upgrade my processor and mobo?

Last edited:

onestoptakeaway

Reaction score
ngjingming said:
is DX10 only for Vista? or for XP also coming out.

ok nvm stupid qns. only for Vista.

i ask ah... should upgrade to vista? or wait like a year more or sth until it has stabalised... and if upgrade to vista, should i upgrade my processor and mobo?
Yo Bro, If WinXP will patch DX10 during the coming SP3 than many will not use Vista liao...

tenyawph

Master Member
Reaction score
Added distributor information on Point of View, latest Nvidia brand to be introduced in Singapore.

Keyven

Reaction score
onestoptakeaway said:
Yo Bro, If WinXP will patch DX10 during the coming SP3 than many will not use Vista liao...

yaya wait till microsoft patch OS X with DX10 first... cos that seems more likely... as it is, few enough people wan to whack vista... if they patch dx10 on xp, they're sealing their own doom

tenyawph

Master Member
Reaction score
Keyven said:
yaya wait till microsoft patch OS X with DX10 first... cos that seems more likely... as it is, few enough people wan to whack vista... if they patch dx10 on xp, they're sealing their own doom
Microsoft stated that DirectX 10 will never be released for Win XP.

maxhurt

Reaction score
its not microsoft who said anything..the "DX10 for everyone" project is a 3rd-party project aimed at creating a full DX10 compatibility layer.

jimmy_sg

Reaction score
Jus cme back from a trip to simlim, Bell and Fuwell has stopped selling most 7XXX Series Card.......
There gone my Asus 7900GS Top...... How? Dun think there any Nvidia 8Series card can match its performance.... Any recommendations from Nvidia that can match 7900GS Top???.....

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.