Anyone heading to UQ?

alvina87

Reaction score
haha I'm just asking for Oz PR for fun.. i mean, if i can retain my singapore citizenship and have an Oz PR it would definitely be an asset to me.. but if its unduly onerous, then.. guess i'll forget abt it. :D

As for those of us here who are mere mortals and of lesser means (like me), how did u guys finance your overseas education? Were there like some conditions or performance guarantees that u had to give to your parents?

It just sounds unappetizing if i'm gonna have to ask for 100k or so.. and not be able to offer anything in return la.. so yea, that's my concern..and i wonder how long it takes to pay back that kinda $, at least 10 yrs :s31:

justinmicoud

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
haha I'm just asking for Oz PR for fun.. i mean, if i can retain my singapore citizenship and have an Oz PR it would definitely be an asset to me.. but if its unduly onerous, then.. guess i'll forget abt it. :D

As for those of us here who are mere mortals and of lesser means (like me), how did u guys finance your overseas education? Were there like some conditions or performance guarantees that u had to give to your parents?

It just sounds unappetizing if i'm gonna have to ask for 100k or so.. and not be able to offer anything in return la.. so yea, that's my concern..and i wonder how long it takes to pay back that kinda $, at least 10 yrs :s31:
I'll love to retain my singapore citizenship and have an Oz PR, however the thought of waiting for the application of PR here turns me off totally. I am still remaining optimistic though; securing better results whilst my time here would be my foremost priority. PR issue will be resolved later.

For my case, it took a lot of persuasion and convincing to my parents before i was given the green light to go Oz and further my studies. You have to understand that it is no paltry sum of money, so it is understandable that parents are unwilling to finance their children for overseas education, especially since I don't come from a well-to-do family. I don't have any performance guarantees or conditons, there was a mutual understanding with my parents that when i graduate, I'll have to look for a job and start repaying my debt. It'll probably take me something like 5 yrs?

I've friends who take up loans from the banks, at a certain interest rate. They would have to find a job upon graduation cos it is most likely that you are required to start repaying the money once you graduate. There are a number of loan schemes available and what i've mentioned above is probably one of many different schemes the banks are offering.

As I've said, you have to discuss with your parents over this issue. It is your future. Some parents are able to understand their child's strive for further education and willing to support them, while there will be others who find overseas education inferior to our local universities. It really depends.

Personally, I think that it'll be very hard for you to explain to your parents why they must cough out ~100k over a period of 3-4 years for your overseas education, unless you are come from a rather well-to-do family. You should really consider other alternatives before coming to a decision about OZ education.

alvina87

Reaction score
Hi thanks justin for the extremely prompt replies and being so straightforward.

In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing.. i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.

The fact is, i screwed my A levels, and i'm gonna be using their $ to buy a second chance elsewhere, doesn't feel right la somehow.. unless i can make certain promises that i will be able to keep.

What is your take? Is it really worthwhile to pay $1k a month for the next 10 years or so?

strawberryshortcake

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing..
this is very subjective and up to individual

alvina87 said:
i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.
this is not necessarily true

alvina87 said:
What is your take? Is it really worthwhile to pay $1k a month for the next 10 years or so?
assuming u are 'borrowing' from your parents, and they don't charge interest, are you able to repay $1k every month? assuming that a fresh grad is lucky to get $2.2k a month, after CPF, take home is $1760. after repaying $1k towards the loan, will have $760 left. is $760 sufficient for your own spending and also giving montlhly allowance to your parents? and no more $$$ for savings?

assuming you are borrowing from a bank or financial institution, bear in mind that there's the interest rates as well...it won't be just $1k a month (assuming you want to repay about 100k in 10 years)...besides, banks won't allow you to loan 100k...and even taking 10 years to repay.

justinmicoud

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
Hi thanks justin for the extremely prompt replies and being so straightforward.

In my opinion, an overseas education is definitely worth pursuing.. i believe that the experience and the qualification is similar, if not superior, to a local university's.. but to many people, especially the older generation, the cost is really unjustifiable, although they seem to have the means.. since i'm an only child.

The fact is, i screwed my A levels, and i'm gonna be using their $ to buy a second chance elsewhere, doesn't feel right la somehow.. unless i can make certain promises that i will be able to keep.

Superior to local Uni? A lot of people don't really agree with you on that. To a certain extent, I don't really agree with that as well. Some employers also don't think so, but there is nothing we can do about it aint it? Different people just have different opinions about local and overseas universities. Point to note that not all Australian Unis are of a similar standard.

Supposedly you can pay $1k a month, and you start repaying your parents for 10 years or so; personally, I must say that I am unwilling to do so. Reason being the starting pay for a grad (esp accountancy grad in sg) is pretty low. Even if you get into Big4 (that is if), the starting pay i known is very low as well, probably not even in the 2k region i suppose? As the other forumer stated, after all the necessary deductions, are you able to be self-sufficient? I don't think so. It will take you definitely more than 10 years if you are really considering this way out.

I chose to study in an Australian Uni mainly because I can get my honours degree after 2 years. I got exempted from the uni due to my direct relevance undertaken in my Poly. If I was chosen to go to local uni, I'll have to go through 4 years of undergrad studies for the same degree. In a way, I graduate almost 2 years faster than my peers in local university, which means I can start work and repay my debt. I'll do a simple breakdown of the costs between local and overseas uni, though it might not be of direct relevance to you.

Local Uni:

School fees: Sg 7000 x 4 yrs = Sg 28,000
Expenses: Sg 300 x 4 yrs x 12 months = Sg 14,400

Total: Sg 42,400

Overseas (Oz) Uni:

School fees: A 22000 x 2 yrs = A 44,000
Expenses: A 10000 x 2 yrs = A 20,000

Total: A 64,000

The above expenditure calculation is really a very rough estimate. It is just for comparison purposes.

So, the difference is around 30k when u convert Aud back to Sgd. The amount seemed staggering, but consider the fact that you graduate 2 years faster, you can repay $1000 x12 = $12,000 a year. In 2 years, you might be able to repay back $24,000, with a bonus of ~2 years work experience than your peers!

Having said all this, I know it doesnt really applies to you. It's just to give a slightly optimistic view of overseas studies. In your case, it will be at a major disadvantage since you won't be able to finish your degree earlier than your peers. That's why I said it is not really "worth" it, if I were to be in your shoes.

justinmicoud

Reaction score
strawberryshortcake said:
this is very subjective and up to individual

this is not necessarily true

assuming u are 'borrowing' from your parents, and they don't charge interest, are you able to repay $1k every month? assuming that a fresh grad is lucky to get $2.2k a month, after CPF, take home is $1760. after repaying $1k towards the loan, will have $760 left. is $760 sufficient for your own spending and also giving montlhly allowance to your parents? and no more $$$ for savings?

assuming you are borrowing from a bank or financial institution, bear in mind that there's the interest rates as well...it won't be just $1k a month (assuming you want to repay about 100k in 10 years)...besides, banks won't allow you to loan 100k...and even taking 10 years to repay.
Totally agree with you. No savings mean I won't have enough money to get married! Sigh.

Multiple loans with other banks might help to raise the amount, not sure about that. But seriously not recommended.

strawberryshortcake

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
for your case, it's not that 'worthwhile'. you will have to do 3 years of study in aus. assuming you are coming to Brisbane, the fees at QUT is approximately AUD16000/yr while at Griffith it's AUD13860.

for me, it's worthwhile cos:

if i study in sg...at nafa or lasalle, it will be for 3 years. i'm doing 2 years here in brisbane. the uni i'm at is reputable for design related disclipines.

at nafa or lasalle, i will have to pay approx SGD15000 X 3 years + 5% GST = SGD47250

i'm paying AUD17580 for 8 subjects. i have to do 14 subjects which cost AUD30765. i changed my money at the rate of $1.2 when i came over...so AUD30765 is approx SGD36918 which is about $10k cheaper than if i study in sg...plus i save one year in duration.

you can consider this option...http://www.saa.org.sg/en/general/course_diploma.php
offered by the singapore accountancy academy...after that transfer to on-campus at UQ.

alvina87

Reaction score
Hi, thanks all for the very prompt replies once again.

Yea, it does seem that the Oz education system is much more flexible towards poly students than A level students, which is far from appetizing with regards to the costs involved and the time wasted.

But frankly, i think most singaporeans would find it rather humbling to go to a poly, MDIS or other commercial schools, even SIM after A levels.. its like as though the stigma sticks with me throughout life, unless i can somehow outperform my peers at the workplace.. but without the premier education branding, many employers may not even be willing to give me a chance (eg. the big 4 firms, or an investment bank).

Surely there must be an intrinsic appeal of an overseas university that gave u guys out there in Oz that boost to take the leap of faith to go over, especially for those whose finances are not really settled yet.. :s8:

strawberryshortcake

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
But frankly, i think most singaporeans would find it rather humbling to go to a poly, MDIS or other commercial schools, even SIM after A levels.. its like as though the stigma sticks with me throughout life, unless i can somehow outperform my peers at the workplace.. but without the premier education branding, many employers may not even be willing to give me a chance (eg. the big 4 firms, or an investment bank).

Surely there must be an intrinsic appeal of an overseas university that gave u guys out there in Oz that boost to take the leap of faith to go over, especially for those whose finances are not really settled yet.. :s8:
it's not true. i had friends who have done one year of JC and decided to switch to poly. in my course at poly, i had classmates who have complete A levels and didn't do well enuff to go to uni...i even had classmates who already have a diploma n doing a 2nd diploma

i had friends who got into the big 4 with a poly dip and then continue to do acca or degree part-time. i have an ex-classmate who did A levels, then went to poly and now at UBS

there are some courses at poly that allow A levels holders to enter at the 2nd year

don't let others judge you. it's you who's judging yourself :s8:

justinmicoud

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
Hi, thanks all for the very prompt replies once again.

Yea, it does seem that the Oz education system is much more flexible towards poly students than A level students, which is far from appetizing with regards to the costs involved and the time wasted.

Poly students were given exemptions because there is not much significiance going through the first two years in university when they have actually covered such modules in their previous institutions. It is not flexibility. JC students, if given exemptions like poly students are surely not going to make it in 3rd year university without any foundations. I understand Singaporeans are very eager not to "waste time" and hope to finish their studies asap, but it defeats the whole purpose because we are pursuing tertiary education to "learn" and accquire skills and knowledge, which will utimately puts us in good stead for the workforce upon graduation.

I dun think most singaporeans find it humbling to go private or poly. Honestly speaking, I think it is probably a minority like you who are having this perception. Think of it this way, if you cant get an education overseas, what other choices do you have? You must be realistic with what you have now, and not desire of what you need.

The truth is that you did badly for your As, and even if the local uni offer u a place in accountancy, you will most probably not do well in it anyway.(although there might be a slight chance you will). If you still find private institutions insulting, retake your As and hopefully progress through local uni again. Or take ACCA and do well in it. It's globally recognised and would be able to secure you an accounting job.

I don't know about other people, but personally, I wouldnt even think of flying over to Oz if the finance factor is not settled.

afrodiziak

Reaction score
Hi!

Hi guys! I'm also considering heading to UQ this coming Sem 2 to do Hotel and Tourism Management. Would be on some partial scholarship if i do go there, it's nowhere near covering my tuition fees and living expenses though.

I've got a few concerns though. I think like most people, i'm kinda worried if the qualifications I get from OZ(UQ) would be recognized, say maybe in the sg employment scene. Would it happen to diminish my employment prospects as compared to if i take a course at nus/ntu? Another thing i need you guys' help in confirming is if on-campus accomodation or off-campus would be better for starters. I would most probably be heading there alone, in the event that i go to UQ.

By the way, I'm also an A lvls student. Didn't screw up my As though. Just considering whether to stay local or go in search of greener pastures.

Appreciate your help guys!

Anyways Alvina87, i'm thinking could you be the alvina I know? I'll leave you a pm.

justinmicoud

Reaction score
afrodiziak said:
Hi guys! I'm also considering heading to UQ this coming Sem 2 to do Hotel and Tourism Management. Would be on some partial scholarship if i do go there, it's nowhere near covering my tuition fees and living expenses though.

I've got a few concerns though. I think like most people, i'm kinda worried if the qualifications I get from OZ(UQ) would be recognized, say maybe in the sg employment scene. Would it happen to diminish my employment prospects as compared to if i take a course at nus/ntu? Another thing i need you guys' help in confirming is if on-campus accomodation or off-campus would be better for starters. I would most probably be heading there alone, in the event that i go to UQ.

By the way, I'm also an A lvls student. Didn't screw up my As though. Just considering whether to stay local or go in search of greener pastures.

Anyways Alvina87, i'm thinking could you be the alvina I know? I'll leave you a pm.
I cant comment much about the academic aspects but for accommodation issues, probably I can help you out a bit.

For starters, it might be advisable to stay on-campus accommodation, i.e colleges. You will probably share a house with other students including local aussie mates. Some colleges will provide food for every meal, thus reducing the hassle of cooking, cleaning up kitchen area, etc. But note that such you will definitely have to pay more. In addition, since it is your first time flying over to UQ, you might be unfamilar getting around places. Colleges are located within the campus itself, so you don't have to worry much about how to get to school. Security is also pretty alright in almost all colleges. It might be advisable to take up a one semester bond, i.e half-yearly bond. If you find prospective roommates or alternative accommodation, you are free to move house after one semester. If you're happy with the college, you are most welcome to extend the lease to another semester.

LesPhantom

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
afrodiziak said:

Hi, i have some experience as a recruiter, maybe i can answer your question. UQ w/o a doubt is a good school in OZ... and is definitely recognized in Singapore. However, employers do not view overseas degree and DL degree much differently... (with the exception of say oxford, imperial college or even ANU)... sadly, they will prefer local graduates... but prospect wise, no worry.. it's there...

The importance of going overseas is gaining experience and exposure, cherish the chance most don't :)

GoodestBoy

Reaction score
LesPhantom said:
Hi, i have some experience as a recruiter, maybe i can answer your question. UQ w/o a doubt is a good school in OZ... and is definitely recognized in Singapore. However, employers do not view overseas degree and DL degree much differently... (with the exception of say oxford, imperial college or even ANU)... sadly, they will prefer local graduates... but prospect wise, no worry.. it's there...

The importance of going overseas is gaining experience and exposure, cherish the chance most don't :)

Wow, you speak from my mind. Haha.

lycans

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
omg with all the talk about the tuition fees, i juz realized how screwed i am... :s22:

afrodiziak

Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but what does DL degrees stand for?

So the myth that sg employers would prefer a local graduate over an overseas graduate is sadly true?

Given my scenario what would you guys do? Stay local or go over to UQ?

strawberryshortcake

Reaction score
afrodiziak said:
Pardon my ignorance but what does DL degrees stand for?
DL = distance learning

afrodiziak said:
So the myth that sg employers would prefer a local graduate over an overseas graduate is sadly true?
would an employer prefer a harvard grad or nus grad?

would an employer prefer a nus grad or someone from mahidol university or uni of mel, uni of queensland, etc?

in the past, there's no nursing degree in sg...so those who are interested in nursing will have to go overseas.

there's still no radiography, physiotherapy, occupational therapy degrees offered at nus, ntu and smu, so therefore again have to go overseas for these degrees

whether an employer prefers local grad or overseas grad is very subjective. really depends on your luck during the job search process

justinmicoud

Reaction score
strawberryshortcake said:
DL = distance learning

would an employer prefer a harvard grad or nus grad?

would an employer prefer a nus grad or someone from mahidol university or uni of mel, uni of queensland, etc?

in the past, there's no nursing degree in sg...so those who are interested in nursing will have to go overseas.

there's still no radiography, physiotherapy, occupational therapy degrees offered at nus, ntu and smu, so therefore again have to go overseas for these degrees

whether an employer prefers local grad or overseas grad is very subjective. really depends on your luck during the job search process
Especially true for the highlighted courses. UQ is quite reputable in these courses. Even top a level students come over here on scholarship to take up such courses. I mean top as in HCJC scholars.

alvina87

Reaction score
Hi guys..

I understand that even for the Aussies themselves, those in OP1 (whatever that is), go to courses like vet sci, optometry, radiology, physio etc etc.. so of course those are recognised in Sg.. how about for international students? Will the criteria be easier? Although, a singaporean of a lower academic capability will also find it hard surviving in these courses..

And also, these courses are exceptionall expensive? Cos they are medical in nature? :s8:

justinmicoud

Reaction score
alvina87 said:
Hi guys..

I understand that even for the Aussies themselves, those in OP1 (whatever that is), go to courses like vet sci, optometry, radiology, physio etc etc.. so of course those are recognised in Sg.. how about for international students? Will the criteria be easier? Although, a singaporean of a lower academic capability will also find it hard surviving in these courses..

And also, these courses are exceptionall expensive? Cos they are medical in nature? :s8:
They should be much more expensive because of the facilities and equipment used. Just ask lycans cos he is studying vet science in UQ. Was it his school fees or his total expenditure around A$50k a year? Plus the course lasting 5-6 years, you can do the calculations.

Criteria? I know that for medicine, you are required to do a GMAT or something, like an entry test? (not 100% sure). I really don't think the criteria for medicine will be anything different from other uni around the world.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.