What To Look Out For When Buying Mobile Phone

Plastick

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Lesbian_Behkan said:
Means how long phone being used for calls,cannot erase or clear like the counters unless do a flash.

So means it's some kinda duration counter...in other words i shouldnt see a non-0 life timer on it?

daniel0ng

Reaction score
phone cannot exit the life timer mode

Plastick said:
What's the 'life timer' thing about?

my nokia phone (6100 and 2100) can't seem to exit the mode where you check the life timer, and the only way to exit is to manually take out the battery. is this supposed to be normal? don't think so right?

pkchukiss

Master Member
Reaction score
I think it means third party shops that are endorsed by the respective mobile service providers, e.g. Cherry Mobile for StarHub.

kenloonglow

Reaction score
sob sob...i think i too late to read this post.

Just bought a Nokia 6233 at RoyalPlus, Chinatown HP shop when I do CNY shopping.
Got main unit, battery, battery charger, headphone, BUT NO WARRANTY CARD!
I match the IMEI from box with the phone OK.
Got IDA sticker.
Got MADE BY NOKIA seal inside the phone.

So, Export Set? Cannot go for free NCC warranty?

I do the LifeTimer check, all "0". But the MFGDATE is 022003 :(

Ye_Rongtian

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
kenloonglow said:
sob sob...i think i too late to read this post.

Just bought a Nokia 6233 at RoyalPlus, Chinatown HP shop when I do CNY shopping.
Got main unit, battery, battery charger, headphone, BUT NO WARRANTY CARD!
I match the IMEI from box with the phone OK.
Got IDA sticker.
Got MADE BY NOKIA seal inside the phone.

So, Export Set? Cannot go for free NCC warranty?

I do the LifeTimer check, all "0". But the MFGDATE is 022003 :(
Might be 2nd hand set lo.

dibromoethene

Reaction score
I think the best bet for the novice buyer is just to buy direct from telcos. They have a reputation to uphold and hence are very unlikely to resort to such gimmicks.

And when I say buy direct, I mean those very big Singtel Shop, Starhub Shop and M1 Shop, not small shops labelled as M1/SG/ST exclusive/authorised dealers. Don't think that you're buying direct from the telco just by shop signboard and uniforms.

In my opinion, there are savings but not much by going to those neighbourhood shops. I'd personally prefer pay more for a peace of mind :)

Last edited:

flossbun

Master Member
Reaction score
hw888 said:
[ Life Timer - might not work on some models]
- Nokia: *#92702689# or *#92772689#
- SE: ->,*,<-,<-,*<-, * ->
- Samsung:
- LG:
- Siemens: *#05#
- Motorola:
samsung no life timer??

exent

Reaction score
Anyone have any experienced on "unfilled warranty cardS" without receipt? Does nokia uphold warranty for such cards? Can we write our own date on it? I have an unfilled card with the imei sticker on it.. I lost the receipt some time ago and I need to service my phone. Sigh.

eternity_luv

Reaction score
exent said:
Anyone have any experienced on "unfilled warranty cardS" without receipt? Does nokia uphold warranty for such cards? Can we write our own date on it? I have an unfilled card with the imei sticker on it.. I lost the receipt some time ago and I need to service my phone. Sigh.

juz fill in the date urself? I tink if the fone is still on sale, it doesnt matter when u bought ba..

yuemin

Reaction score
exent said:
just write any random date.
as in perhaps 1 mth or 2 mth ago.
cos once you write it down, you cannot change the date.
and nokia does look at that date.

so if you write 1 mth ago or somewhere there, you'll have a longer warranty - 1 year more. :)
haha, that's why most no contract phones come with warranty cards unfilled etc. - especially the date portion. :D

cHAmy27

Reaction score
I got a LG phone from online seller with unfilled warranty card, not IMEI sticker or date. only Starhub branch stamp.
I dont have a receipt. how can i go to valid my warranty ?? I can send my warranty to LG without receipt right? but customer copy i just write the date and IMEI number?

Any way to check LG life timer?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.