HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

xl8080

Reaction score
no lor, disneyland the whole mth of july is 70sgd!! sorry lah. quite busy sinced i landed in singapore. haven got time to write a review abt it. when u come back sg i pass u the sim card?

chuan3205

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
xl8080 said:
try nt to go for the fast food since u can find them in sg also. the fast food taste the same everywhere.

well, imho, one should try KFC in HK!!

Especially their breakfast extra value meals, well not exactly very fantastic but definitely something special compared to that in Singapore :o May try their egg tarts as well ;)

icequeenz

Reaction score
chuan3205 said:

Especially their breakfast extra value meals, well not exactly very fantastic but definitely something special compared to that in Singapore :o May try their egg tarts as well ;)
they serve cob of corn in KFC!! my fave!

not true that fastfood is unworthy of trying....mcdonalds have much more interesting food than sg. for once, hk mcdonalds isn't halal so they can serve "pork sausage". they also come out with seasonal drinks and food items.

then there's krispy kreme if u want to consider that fast food.

monster3

Reaction score
KFC in HK is having this new black pepper favoured chicken during my trip in HK 2 wks ago. Not sure whether is the promotion still going on or not. Worth trying cos in sg, haven't seen any black pepper chicken b4 in KFC.

As for egg tart, i've tried egg tarts from 2-3 diff stalls, all taste more or less the same, but all are equally yummy. Theres a cake/bread shop selling egg tarts along Fa Yuen street, near to YMCA intl House, the egg tarts there can consider good.

Just for ur info, YMCA intl House is a convinent good place to stay during ur trip in HK. Its roughly abt 5mins to Ladies' Street & Temple Street. Roughly abt 50-60 steps from the hotel gate to the MTR exit, abt 20-30 steps to 7 eleven. Bath room are rather small but still acceptable. Standard room & superior room, both having 21 sq metres but standard rooms' bed is placed in the middle of the room, so it should have lesser space to walk in the room.

Hope i can help those fellow forum mates with these info.
Anyone going to or coming back to sg soon? My gf miss the curry fish ball from 7eleven stall. Anyone kind enough to help me get a few bowls back? Its 8 HKD each, tightly sealed type.

Last edited:

Musicguru

Reaction score
Wah how come everyone staying at YMCA Internatinoal house? I'm thinking if i should just book my own jetstar and hotel through YMCA website. Havent paid up with tour agency for my UA tix and Cosmopolitan hotel stay, but prob paying tomorrow.

Pls advice:

Between Cosmopolitan and YMCA International House, which hotel is better in terms of location, cleanliness, room size etc.

yea Mobby80 and Flanker, we should share tips and iternary planning...maybe can even meet up for yum cha!

finale1

Master Member
Reaction score
Back from hK on 26th Jul 07

Hey guys, juz to update...

Stayed at Man Hing Lung Hotel. Located at Mirador Mansion TST. Lots of African America staying there. Security is stepped up and there are security guards taking down particulars of ple leaving/entering after midnite.

Bedsheets are changed once every two days. SGD$25/nite for a personal toilet.
Room service is good and the staff are a frenly family who has been running the
motel service for 20 years.

Sweet Dynasty is Over-rated. Desserts are NOT v nice but cheap.
Ambience is first-class.
Dinner meals are OK, not v v fantastic.

Yungkee's roast goose at the Peak is really good. Be prepared to queue. Posh settings.
Half goose, 190hkd
Full goose, 380hkd
Other dishes minimum ard 80hkd/dish.

Dao Hiang (Dao4 Xiang1) Dim Sum Restaurant at Mongkok is a MUST GO for cheap and superb Dimsum. (come out from exit A1 and walk down Nathan Rd) If u go after 10am, be prepared to QUEUE!!! The DimSum there are the BEST we have tasted. SGD8/person can eat till v v full. DimSum from 7-11am. Lotsa elderly ple there.

Prices: Small (6.8hkd) Medium(8.8) Large(10.8) Extra Large(12.80) Super Large(Forgot)

Must try their Ha1 Gao2, Ha1 Cheong2, XO sauced Carrot Cake. Try their prawn-related Dimsum. Best we have eaten.

Silvercord Shopping Centre Cai Yuen DimSum Restaurant, TST
Silvercord SC has Birkenstocks(5% off for tourists) and Lacoste(sells shoes only) stores.
DimSum here is good but slightly more pricey.

Factory outlets
----------------
1) Citigate (Tung Chung)

Nike (nth much)
Adidas (lotsa originals series, wide variety of shoes, buy 2 items get 20% off)
Espirit (largest outlet compared to other Espirit outlets)
Quicksilver(only outlet we have seen in Hongkong)
New Balance(Dun buy here. Expensive and chop carrot prices for the same shoes we saw in KwanTung)

**My fren claimed she saw Polo Ralph outlet but i went there twice and din see. She said its located at another place in the same building. Can anyone verify?

Food: Only mac and Coffeebean

2) KwanTung (Must go for sports apparels) APM (macham Wisma Atria found here juz outside MTR.)
a) Yip Fatt Bldg Level 11
Adidas (Buy any 3items get 30% off )

- Prices are cheapest here but the stuff here hard to buy. For guys, its all S sizes. For
girls, its all L sizes. Bought 2 pairs of Originals and a Tee-shirt. V cheap.
New Balance Level 12
- Individual pricing. Cheaper than retail outside.
No-name Sports Shoe Shop Level 7
- Sells a lot of different brands of sports shoes.
b) NIKE OUTLET (Camelplant Bldg, 50m from Yip Fatt)
- Newly renovated. Individual pricing. Good shopping experience. Majority of the sports
wear sells at ard 79-89HKD. Limited sizes. Wide selection of bags though.

Food: A Cha Can Ting oppo Camelplant Bldg.
- Set meals come with soup. Prices cheaper than in TST and Mongkok.

3) Lai Chi Kok Adidas Outlet Level 5 (Lai Chi kok MTR exit come out the building is there)
- Lesser variety, but can find v good bargains. (10% off for 2 pieces and the individual
prices muz be above 100hkd.)
Level 1 has lotsa girls clothes and dresses. Its a wholesale centre. Note that they close at 7pm.

4) North Point MTR Tanka Ltd Adidas Outlet
- Come here only if u are keen to buy Adidas vests! Nth much to see.

qqspot

Reaction score
xl8080 said:
no lor, disneyland the whole mth of july is 70sgd!! sorry lah. quite busy sinced i landed in singapore. haven got time to write a review abt it. when u come back sg i pass u the sim card?
Erh!! coming back on the 6th Aug 2007. I will call you when i am back your Singapore number still the same right??

Please kindly hold the people prepaid SIM Card for me...

Regards,
QQ

qqspot

Reaction score
chuan3205 said:

HK = po lo Buns
China = Mainland KFC beter chicken they are diff breed of chicken!! With OPEN Deep Fryer...

qqspot

Reaction score
icequeenz said:
they serve cob of corn in KFC!! my fave!

not true that fastfood is unworthy of trying....mcdonalds have much more interesting food than sg. for once, hk mcdonalds isn't halal so they can serve "pork sausage". they also come out with seasonal drinks and food items.

then there's krispy kreme if u want to consider that fast food.
krispy kreme, Maxim, Coral de xxx, KFC, Mcdonalds, Fairwoods all are under HK Fastfood chains.

This is base on my personal experience which i had visited HK the pass 1 year!!
kissme.jpg

Regards,
QQ

smallie

Master Member
Reaction score
Musicguru said:
Wah how come everyone staying at YMCA Internatinoal house? I'm thinking if i should just book my own jetstar and hotel through YMCA website. Havent paid up with tour agency for my UA tix and Cosmopolitan hotel stay, but prob paying tomorrow.

Pls advice:

Between Cosmopolitan and YMCA International House, which hotel is better in terms of location, cleanliness, room size etc.

yea Mobby80 and Flanker, we should share tips and iternary planning...maybe can even meet up for yum cha!

I just came back from HK last night at 11+pm.. YMCA international is less than 5 mins walk away from the MTR entrance from the main door.. it does not have a big room though.. friends staying in Metropark Kowloon said that their room is way bigger.. :s22: if u stay in the old building, the lift is very old lorh.. a bit scary to take at night if u and ur friend don't talk.. :s27: but it's confirmed very near the cafes, restaurants and ladies street.. I didn't go to the temple street so I'm not sure abt that.. :D

the service at the counter is however worth mentioning.. just that they don't exactly understand english.. or rather, I can't really understand their english.. :s13:

if u go to HK, please wear as comfy as u can, all flats for girls, best is to wear slippers.. my feet blistered since the second day even though I was on shoes..

the factory outlets are more or less the same.. BUT please remember to bargain before u buy goods.. cuz it's not worth that much for the price they quote..

mobby80

Reaction score
haha... seems like YMCA is one hot hotel here...

Musicguru and flanker27 , sure... no problem on that! hehe....

I see from the net, Bus A21 will take us from Airport to YMCA hotel... anyone who goes before tried it? How long does it takes for travel? Looking for other alternative routes now also..

by the way, this will be my first time there as free n easy. Gone once but with a tour group pulled everywhere like a cow by the tour guide.. haha.. no chance to go on own so no experience on how to go around.

mugenrsg

Reaction score
Musicguru said:

Pls advice:

hi, between cosmopolitan & YMCA, i would rather u choose the latter...coz i stayed in cosmo when i was ther in April. Hotel not too bad, but itz far from MTR, & unless u take their feeder mini bus, if not u gotta walk very very far, not to mention the turf club is beside, hospital in front & cemetry BEHIND!! lol unless u dun mind all *these*, den go for cosmo...

xl8080

Reaction score
qqspot said:
Erh!! coming back on the 6th Aug 2007. I will call you when i am back your Singapore number still the same right??

Please kindly hold the people prepaid SIM Card for me...
yea yea. specially reserved fer u! no worries. my no still same.

Musicguru

Reaction score
Thanks mugenrsg, I also stayed at cosmopolitan last yr, but because i went with a big group can always share cab back. This time its just me and my gf...so dunno if its damn jialat to keep taking cab if we're staying at cosmopolitan. I will take shuttle in morning but night time confirm no more shuttle, and hell no to walking back past cemetry...lol

But if we dont compare location, and compare other things like room and hotel service etc. which hotel is better?

Anyone knows? I can still change cos i havent paid agency.

mugenrsg said:
hi, between cosmopolitan & YMCA, i would rather u choose the latter...coz i stayed in cosmo when i was ther in April. Hotel not too bad, but itz far from MTR, & unless u take their feeder mini bus, if not u gotta walk very very far, not to mention the turf club is beside, hospital in front & cemetry BEHIND!! lol unless u dun mind all *these*, den go for cosmo...

EdwardsChua

Reaction score
Consider Metropark Mongkok?

Musicguru said:
Thanks mugenrsg, I also stayed at cosmopolitan last yr, but because i went with a big group can always share cab back. This time its just me and my gf...so dunno if its damn jialat to keep taking cab if we're staying at cosmopolitan. I will take shuttle in morning but night time confirm no more shuttle, and hell no to walking back past cemetry...lol

But if we dont compare location, and compare other things like room and hotel service etc. which hotel is better?

Anyone knows? I can still change cos i havent paid agency.

Hi, would you consider Metropark Mongkok Hotel. I stayed there during my trip to HK two weeks ago and found it real good. The hotel rooms are rather spacious for HK standard and the staffs are real friendly and willing to entertain you.

It's like a short walk to MTR Station and quite conveniently located near a lot a lot a lot of those cai can ting so you can save the worry about food.

I was really quite impressed with the hotel that time. Can let u know more if u r interested.

Musicguru

Reaction score
Yes EdwardsChua, pls do tell us your experience with metropark mongkok. I'm sure the other forum members reading this thread will also be interested, and may be helpful to future sporeans going to hk =)

Anyway metropark mongkok is 3star hotel right? How's the condition of the room? Any problems with air-con/heater, bed, toilet etc?

I always hear agencies suggest this hotel, but i always thought it was one of the "lok kok" hotels, correct me if I had the wrong impression!

rerear

Reaction score
Hi thanks!

Sounds like you have good lobang for HK apartment, can you PM me details?

Planning on going to HK/Macau likely either during the National day long weekend or the upcoming Sep sch holidays (1st week of Sep).

Does anyone else has any information on where to get cheapest deals? Possible to get ~400-500 during these peak times for ~3d2n FE?

Thanks.

qqspot said:

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.