The Power Supply Chart

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Phiphosopher said:
How come the thermaltake PSUs say no under "80 Plus" but they all have 85% efficiency stated?

I don't know maybe I'm too noob but that confuses me. :s11:
80 Plus is not only the efficiency. It is a very comprehensive test. Not only is it money. But it is a true test.

IT IS TRUE that some manufacturer will not submit ONLY because of finance issue.

BUT it is also true that some manufacturer submit cannot pass, or dare not submit because they KNOW they are cheating and they will fail.

There is a LOT of cheating going on in the PSU world. I intend at least do my bit to sort it all out here. Sexposures are very very welcome.

ER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MichaelTan said:
80 Plus is not only the efficiency. It is a very comprehensive test. Not only is it money. But it is a true test.

IT IS TRUE that some manufacturer will not submit ONLY because of finance issue.

BUT it is also true that some manufacturer submit cannot pass, or dare not submit because they KNOW they are cheating and they will fail.

There is a LOT of cheating going on in the PSU world. I intend at least do my bit to sort it all out here. Sexposures are very very welcome.

I hope I am not misleading anyone with that chart. :o

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ER said:
I hope I am not misleading anyone with that chart. :o
no the chart shows efficiency, not 80Plus certification. It's the best you and I can do bro. And it really makes it more difficult to cheat. Kudos to you.

hslimmic

Reaction score
Phiphosopher said:
How come the thermaltake PSUs say no under "80 Plus" but they all have 85% efficiency stated?

Some reasons that can be speculated

1) Product fail spec ( 85% might be able to attain at only a certain load but not all loads or some other criteria not met )
2) Didn't want to incur additional cost to the product

denniszz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Up for a good chart... CoolerMaster all 80Plus certifed... ;)

And of cos... 5 years warranty

bryanwumf

Master Member
Reaction score
Phiphosopher said:

Most of the time, it would be because the PSU cannot meet the standards of 80PLUS. Its a simple standard - greater than 80% efficiency at 20/50/100% load.

That would imply that the PSU MUST live up to its rated wattage. A 500w PSU must be able to sustain 500w load to achieve 80PLUS cetification.

So you might ask.. why doesn't for example, a Corsair HX520/620 have 80PLUS certification? Corsair's got plenty in its coffers and so does the OEM Seasonic.
Reason: it fails 80PLUS at 20% load.

So to put it simply, thermaltake specifing UP TO 85% might mean that its efficiency could be 75% at 20% load but 85% at 60% load.

enermax for example is pretty truthful about their specs. "about 80% efficiency from 30% to 100% load.". online independent reviews puts the efficiency around 78-80%.

There's a lot of misleading going on in PSU marketing. eg. typically >70% might mean greater than 70% at typical 50% load, but might fall below that at other loads. up to 80% might mean 68% at 20% load, 73% at 50% and 80% at 75% load etc. 80PLUS simply certifies 80% efficiency at 20/50/100% loads.

ER: bro, you might want to change your efficiency columm to include greater than, lesser than, up to etc certain efficiencies.

Last edited:

satayxp

Banned
Reaction score
denniszz said:

And of cos... 5 years warranty

wah!! buay tahan! must whack one liao~~ ;)

cnt

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it will be nice to hv some <$150 psu on the chart... :s42:

Phiphosopher

Reaction score
Oh no.. should I reconsider the TT then?! -frowns-

Shall go do more research.. argh.

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
bryanwumf said:
Most of the time, it would be because the PSU cannot meet the standards of 80PLUS. Its a simple standard - greater than 80% efficiency at 20/50/100% load.

It's a simple standard, yes. BUT I have been told that the testing procedure is not simple and the parameters of testing are very strict.

A starting point I was given, for example, was the adoption of the generalized internal PSU testing protocol : http://www.efficientpowersupplies.o...ower_Supply_Efficiency_Test_Protocol_R6.1.pdf as one of the protocols used. In fact an entire suite of testing methods are specified here: http://www.efficientpowersupplies.org/methods.asp and some of the parameters are difficult to meet.

If one cannot meet the testing parameters you can't achieve 80Plus. Therein lies the difficulty.

MichaelTan

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
denniszz said:

Please clarify, otherwise it will form the misinformation I was talking about.

80Plus website says you're lying: http://www.80plus.org/manu/psu/manu_psu.htm

the PSU chart in thie forum say you're lying: http://img86.imageshack.us/img86/6434/123ve6.jpg

Only 12 of your PSU is certified, and ALL your Extreme Power not certified:

Model Number (Click for test report) Wattage Form Factor
RS-430-ASAA 430 ATX12V
RS-500-ASAA 500 ATX12V
RS-520-ASAA-A1 520 ATX12V
RS-550-ACAA-A1 550 ATX12V
RS-600-ASAA 600 ATX12V
RS-620-ASAA-A1 620 ATX12V
RS_700_ASAA_A1 700 ATX12V
RS-750-ACAA-A1 750 ATX12V
RS-850-EMBA 850 ATX12V
RS-850-ESBA 850 ATX12V
RS-A00-EMBA 1000 ATX12V
RS-A00-ESBA 1000 ATX12V

Is there anything you want to say otherwise? Because as it is now, seems that you're lying and misinforming. NExt time anybody ask any question to you how can you answer with a straight face?

ER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Phiphosopher said:
Oh no.. should I reconsider the TT then?! -frowns-

Shall go do more research.. argh.

For the price at this wattage, it is one of the cheapest modular psu around. If you really want 80 Plus certified the next cheapest would be the CM Real Power Pro M520 else Enermax Liberty 500W is also a good choice.

ER

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
darkbladez said:
TT 1200w looks good.. tml i hooting, hope quieter than my silverstone.. :)

Bro, why not get the TT 1500W instead since it is $20 difference?

darkbladez

Master Member
Reaction score
ER said:
Bro, why not get the TT 1500W instead since it is $20 difference?

Which shop got sell? And dont think shop will have unless u special request for it and it will take time.. 1200W enough liao.. :)

MacClipper

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
darkbladez said:
Which shop got sell? And dont think shop will have unless u special request for it and it will take time.. 1200W enough liao.. :)
Only $9 difference on Potterhouse, not worth it for a 300W improvement? :D

ST_Corbell

Reaction score
darkbladez said:
Go to PC Themes & Mediamart.
They love our entire 1000W & + range Antec/Thermaltake included... Naturally Tt 1500W also there :).

No one saw my Tt 1500W arrival announcement meh?

Gosh, i must be dreaming when i thought i posted it online few days ago....

darkbladez

Master Member
Reaction score
ST_Corbell said:
Go to PC Themes & Mediamart.
They love our entire 1000W & + range Antec/Thermaltake included... Naturally Tt 1500W also there :).

No one saw my Tt 1500W arrival announcement meh?

Gosh, i must be dreaming when i thought i posted it online few days ago....

But the 1500W in PC themes? Cos i getting tml noon..

Gregko

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
5 years warranty. but theres alot of hidden tings inside the metal cover of the PSU. trust only 80plus certified PSUs. nothing can go wrong. dont believe any distros. believe real sources and reviews.

its about money and electric safety. . wanna risk expoloding the whole system becoz a PSU is not deemed fit and use inferior components that undermines actual product quality and control?

to me is, if a product is damn good, it does not have a need to suffice 5 years warranty. 2 years infact is more than enough. PSU with 5 year warranty is kinda bull to me.. PSU wont last 5 years. by that time. . so many capacitors/inductors and the damn transformer melted already.

Last edited:
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.