HoNg KoNg TrIp...Hooray!!~~

thewiseone

Master Member
Reaction score
Which part of HK did u find good prices for notebooks?

hi everyone!! i'm baaack....!! haha...

weather was excellent, better than in dec.. very comfortable with some cooling breeze blowing.. :)

so, anyone got any qns? ask away.. i think i pro le..

just a bit of advice.. if u planning to get laptop, go hk and get.. the prices there are very very very very good.. seriously. i regret not bringing enough cash... the asus g1 difference is 500sgd man!!!!

miracleman

Reaction score
okok i answer 1 by one.. hold on..

Okay, do you know where to get Mizuno Competition Swimwear in HK?
Thanks.

swimwear can try the mongkok side of fah yuen st, or citigate if ur there. but i don't think its any cheaper than sg.. might not b worth the trouble.. not that experienced in swimwear cuz it'll b the last thing i'll buy!

is it cold? as in need to wear jacket/sweater?

depends on whether u can tahan or not.. when i was there i didn't need to wear jacket.. but my dad and gf all very very cold.. and the locals there wear until macham in north pole.. but i guess cuz i like cold very very much so don't need.

my advice is.. just bring a sweater, dun need thermal or anything, just a normal sweater.. if too cold, go there and buy.. its cheaper there than in sg.

Which part of HK did u find good prices for notebooks?

i went to all the major computer places when i was there: wanchai computer ctr, mongkok computer ctr, golden (shamsuipo) computer ctr. summary is... for laptops the best prices are at mongkok computer ctr. if u wan details let me know.

advice: pls check like the specific model and specification of your intended laptop b4 going there.. as 1 model of laptop got many many different spec configuration. typically, sg's spec configuration is higher than hk one. but hk price is low low low!! cuz i think they got no GST and tax and all that bull****.

dennisleu

Reaction score
depends on whether u can tahan or not.. when i was there i didn't need to wear jacket.. but my dad and gf all very very cold.. and the locals there wear until macham in north pole.. but i guess cuz i like cold very very much so don't need.

No it is not that hongkies can not tahan cold but rather this is the best time to showcase their winter clothings. In general, the hongkies (male or female) have much better dressing sense than us.

Also, locals are not like tourists, where we have the comfort of going back to the hotels anytime we want. They could be on the way to a 10hrs work which likely to be night fall by then. The temp is easily below 14-16C. You can't just wear a polo or a dress in that temp.

My advise to Singaporeans going to a winter country is to dress like a local. Wear at least a thin pullover even if it is not cold, so that you won't stick up like a sore thumb.

ed_styler83

Reaction score
hey bro u r back...

wah pro sia...ahahaha...am glad u enjoy ur trip...

Well...wat dennis said is true...and its like a chance in a whole year for you ppl to wear winter clothings...so why not!

hee

aBcGaL

Reaction score
issit true tat during cny period not to go to HK?? as most shops will be closed??? wished to go ard da 5 or 6 of cny

arianwen

Reaction score
have booked a 5d4n tour to hk

total damage: 875 including taxes.

Travelling via cathay pacific

ou of 4 nights, 2 nights stay at a 5star hotel in new terrorities, 3rd night at disneyland hotel., 4th night a 3star hotel in mongkok

package includes 1 day tour, and 1 day ticket in disneyland. also including airport transfer.

is it a good deal?

travelling during march sch holidays

miracleman

Reaction score
have booked a 5d4n tour to hk

total damage: 875 including taxes.

Travelling via cathay pacific

ou of 4 nights, 2 nights stay at a 5star hotel in new terrorities, 3rd night at disneyland hotel., 4th night a 3star hotel in mongkok

package includes 1 day tour, and 1 day ticket in disneyland. also including airport transfer.

is it a good deal?

travelling during march sch holidays
don't wanna sound like pouring cold water.. but NT very far from city.. and there's nothing much there.. so you'll be wasting a lot of travelling time.

1 day tour is a rip off tourist kinda tour one. but the price quite ok.

the reason they put u in the NT is cuz in kowloon area 1n hotel cheapest is abt 200 for that period ur going, mebbe more.

n almost every night ur changing hotels, quite siong imo..

but the price for this is actually not bad. cuz cathay u book the airtix urself already 600 after tax. disney ticket about 50bucks. airport transfer if you take airport express is about 40 bucks and hotel in hk is not cheap!!

most importantly, enjoy urself!

miracleman

Reaction score
hey bro u r back...

wah pro sia...ahahaha...am glad u enjoy ur trip...

Well...wat dennis said is true...and its like a chance in a whole year for you ppl to wear winter clothings...so why not!

hee
ya bro dennis is correct.. they look good in their winter clothing... esp boots with stockings... drool.. haha.. okok back to reality.

i think my body temp regulating is a bit spoil.. at nite 11 deg i'm just wearing a t-shirt and i'm sweating.. my gf think my body got prob.. haha.. the best temp for me is when i go the peak at night.. the temp is just nice for me when the wind is blowing..

arianwen

Reaction score
don't wanna sound like pouring cold water.. but NT very far from city.. and there's nothing much there.. so you'll be wasting a lot of travelling time.

the reason they put u in the NT is cuz in kowloon area 1n hotel cheapest is abt 200 for that period ur going, mebbe more.

but the price for this is actually not bad. cuz cathay u book the airtix urself already 600 after tax. disney ticket about 50bucks. airport transfer if you take airport express is about 40 bucks and hotel in hk is not cheap!!

yap i know its quite far, but at least if take mtr ard 45mins. ok la considering that i will be taking CX. am changing 3 hotels.. but got transport still ok.. 1 day tour got peak, repluse bay etc.. so saves the time for 1 day planning.

hope it will be good. hah.. btw, whats the voltage/current in hk? same as sg?

miracleman

Reaction score
yap i know its quite far, but at least if take mtr ard 45mins. ok la considering that i will be taking CX. am changing 3 hotels.. but got transport still ok.. 1 day tour got peak, repluse bay etc.. so saves the time for 1 day planning.

hope it will be good. hah.. btw, whats the voltage/current in hk? same as sg?
same don't worry.. the plug head they use also exactly the same as us.

czerny81

Reaction score
hey czerny81,

i heard from my fren that there's a Street that is named "Nan Ren St" in Mong kok. Its not Fa yuen ST and certainly not ladies St...

You know where izit?

Hey buddy~yeah there's a street named "Nan Ren St" probably = "Men St" or "Temple St" but not in Mongkok, where it's in Jordan MTR station and take the exit C2/C1, once u get out from the exit and turn right w/ a 15-20 mins walk =:p then that's the start of the "Temple st". In fact, why it's called as "Men St" cuz u see there's some hawkers selling the sex toy/sex movie DVDs...and u know the 2 sides along the temple st, u can find a hostees/mamasan standing at the staircases (after 10pm) and asking ppl to hv fun just going up to the apartments u head-up from the "temple st" can see, sort of the things like in Geylang.

BTW, besides these, the "Temple st" sells the traditional chinese accessaries, home decorations, tees...and for dining, there's many "Street restaurants" simply like in the "Smith St" but serving seafood mainly. Well, there's another market called "Jade Market" which is closed to the "Temple st", it's worth to go and buy the jades in a very cheap price. Even Maria Sarapova, she said she would go there every visiting to HK. (Tips: Remember to negotiate at least a 40% reduction w/ the sellers):D

czerny81

Reaction score
i went Argyle, lady street, time sq, causeway bay, harbour city etc.....all selling winter clothing in this winter peroid...
so difficult to get cny clothing...in the end only brought one pair of shoes. :)

HAHA~That's a strong reason for u to come again in late of August or end of April so u can buy the summer clothings~:D

czerny81

Reaction score
hi everyone!! i'm baaack....!! haha...

weather was excellent, better than in dec.. very comfortable with some cooling breeze blowing.. :)

so, anyone got any qns? ask away.. i think i pro le..

just a bit of advice.. if u planning to get laptop, go hk and get.. the prices there are very very very very good.. seriously. i regret not bringing enough cash... the asus g1 difference is 500sgd man!!!!

Hi mate~u should pay by the credit card:Das the exchange rate between SD and HKD is good right now~anyway, new comer from HK.=:p

czerny81

Reaction score
okok i answer 1 by one.. hold on..

swimwear can try the mongkok side of fah yuen st, or citigate if ur there. but i don't think its any cheaper than sg.. might not b worth the trouble.. not that experienced in swimwear cuz it'll b the last thing i'll buy!

my advice is.. just bring a sweater, dun need thermal or anything, just a normal sweater.. if too cold, go there and buy.. its cheaper there than in sg.

i went to all the major computer places when i was there: wanchai computer ctr, mongkok computer ctr, golden (shamsuipo) computer ctr. summary is... for laptops the best prices are at mongkok computer ctr. if u wan details let me know.

advice: pls check like the specific model and specification of your intended laptop b4 going there.. as 1 model of laptop got many many different spec configuration. typically, sg's spec configuration is higher than hk one. but hk price is low low low!! cuz i think they got no GST and tax and all that bull****.

Hi all, just adding some information for u guys reference~
For Mizuno Competition Swimwear, i think u can find at the 6 or 7th/F of "Sogo" in Causeway Bay~where there is a Mizuno booth and a booth only for swimwear~

For the time of miracleman visiting was the coldest week in this winter of HK (10-14 degree)so that's y ppl were wearing jackets or even thermals cuz they can't adopt such a temp. diff. at once and i do think the girls wearing booths w/ a mini-skirt/shorts are pretty good, right?:D. Generally, ard 18 degree sth in winter and better to check w/ the 7-day weather forecast b4 u come (http://www.hko.gov.hk/wxinfo/currwx/fnd.htm) see whether any cold air blown from the north. If u will visit the peak, big budda or the islands during the early morning or night time, a jacket w/ u is better cuz not the temp but is quite windy in these places. For sure, during the day time in the town, only polo-shirt/tee is fine for me (a 26-yr-old man:s7:).

For the computer stuff, yeah~everybody says HK is mcuh cheaper than in SIN cuz we hv no tax on it and i do agree to buy the laptop in Mongkok Computer Mall which is a bit cheaper but u can seek for the information/advices from the boardway/fortress 1st since they are more patients cuz 2 crowded in Mongkok Computer Mall specially during weekend, u can't stop or not willing to stop for asking questions:eek: (Tips: mostly broadway/fortress will give u some additional accessories: gifts/protector/case/extra battery...etc. if u buy from them)

czerny81

Reaction score

Yup mate miracleman is right and hotels in NT area may not be convenient and i feel the hotels in HK is quite nice. Generally a 4 stars hotel is better than that in SIN (right now i'm staying in the golden landmark also claimed as 4 stars:p). The quality of a hotel charged ard SD$110 per night is already quite nice. Here're 2 hotels : Harbour Plaza Hotel in North Point & Newton Place Hotel in Kwun Tong. the 1st one is a 5-min walk to the MTR station and the 2nd one is pretty new plus in the town (Kwun Tong), both are charged for ard HKD$600 per night. Hope these can help~:D

miracleman

Reaction score
ok. i just asked my fren to buy for me the laptop le. should be coming in during cny. saved 800+. :) for those who wanna know:

ASUS G1S
T7700 processor, 2gb ram, and 15inch lcd are the highlights. :) 12000hkd.

i'm not so keen to get from fortress/tai lin because they carry mostly sony..

miracleman

Reaction score
also, gonna recommend u guys to try the pizza hut over there... i know it sounds crazy because hk got so much nice food right? but the pizza hut there is like.... WOW. really.. must try..

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.