OpenSource Community FAQ

sfhuang

Master Member
Reaction score
Many questions posted in the forum belong to either of the following 2 categories:

1. Repetitive
I answer similar questions in different posts, 2-3 times a week.

2. Trivial
Answers can easily be found in man pages or Linux documentation sites.

I am therefore starting this thread to keep such questions to a minimum, and hope everyone chips in with their contributions to the FAQ.

Cheers.
sfhuang

Last edited:

sfhuang

Master Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

sfhuang

Master Member
Reaction score
Setting up an SCV connection

This is pretty straightforward. I will assume that your NIC is correctly installed (note: if you're using the SmartBridges NIC, please consider getting a PCI Ethernet card)

For Redhat (> v6.2), type netconf at the shell prompt and set the startup option for your NIC to DHCP.

Reboot and your NIC should now be connected to SCV.

sfhuang

Master Member
Reaction score
Dual-boot Linux with WinNT/2k/XP Bootloader

Taken from PlugNPray :

In this article I will give you a simple step by step guide on adding an entry for linux on Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader. This method has been tried on Mandrake Linux 8.1, Red Hat Linux 7.0/7.1/7.2 and SuSE Linux 7.3, it will probably work on most distributions that allow you to choose where the bootloader is installed.

In order for this to work you must allready be using the Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, and not the linux bootloader. If you are currently using something else to boot your system you must replace it with the Windows NT/2000/XP bootloader, ensuring you still have some way to boot linux e.g. a boot floppy.

The first step is to boot into linux, and login as root, when you have logged in your first task is to find out which partition your / filesystem is installed on. The easiest way is to type the following at the command prompt mount, linux will then provide you a list of all the mounted file sytems, you are looking for an entry that reads /dev/hdXY on / type ext2 (rw) (where X is a letter, and Y is a number) followed by some file system options. If you have a SCSI system the entry will be somthing like this /dev/sdXY on / type ext2 (rw). Make a note of this entry as this tells you what partition the linux file system lives on.

Your next step is to edit the LILO configuration file, which normally in /etc/lilo.conf .(note - if you are using somthing other than LILO to boot your linux system e.g. GRUB look in your documentation on how to change where it is installed). Any text editor will do for this task, my favourite tool for editing from the console is pico.

The section you need to change is the section which says boot=/dev/**** you need to change **** to be the same as the partition number we discovered earlier. Once you have made this change save the file, and make sure you have some other way of booting linux (e.g. a boot floppy). At a console type /sbin/lilo, when this has completed your bootloader has now been moved.

http://www.plugnpray.co.uk/linux/lilo-nt/images/pico.gif

The final step before rebooting into windows is to copy the bootsector somewhere else. First put a windows formatted floppy into the disk drive and mount it, then at the command prompt type dd if=/dev/**** of=/floppy/bootsect.lnx bs=512 count=1 where /floppy is where your floppy is mounted(this maybe /mnt/floppy on some systems), and **** is the pratition you have just installed LILO to.

Now reboot into windows after unmounting the floppy.

Now that we are back in windows the first thing to do is to copy the file bootsect.lnx of the floppy and onto C:\(or wherever your bootloader lives). Once you have copied the file you then need to edit your boot.ini file. If you can't see boot.ini on C:\ it may be beacuse you have set windows to hide system files, to make it appear do the following

* Windows NT: - Click on View->Folder Options and tick the checkbox that says Show All Files
* Windows 2000/XP: - Click on Tools->Folder Options->View click the radio button that says Show hidden files and folders and untick the Hide protected operating system files(recommended) checkbox

http://www.plugnpray.co.uk/linux/lilo-nt/images/folder-opt.gif

Now open boot.ini in notepad, on the last line add C:\bootsect.lnx="Linux" , save the file. The next time you reboot you should see an option for Linux on your bootloader, if you select this you will boot into linux.

http://www.plugnpray.co.uk/linux/lilo-nt/images/boot.gif

sfhuang

Master Member
Reaction score
Creating Linux CDs from ISO images

[Quoted from GJN's post.]

For the information of those who are interested in making own Redhat 7.1 bootable installation CD, the following are what I have done (using Nero 5.5.2.3) in brief:-

1. Download the ISO images ("seawolf-i386-disc1.iso" and "seawolf-i386-disc2.iso" from ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/7.1/en/iso/i386/ or Singapore mirror site ftp://ftp.hjc.edu.sg/linux/redhat/r...7.1-en/iso/i386 ). I am downloading from the later using I.E. 5.

2. Modify the names of the ISO image file to end with ".nrg" ("seawolf-i386-disc1.nrg" and "seawolf-i386-disc2.nrg"). Double click on it to begin burning. Alternatively, click on "Nero icon" to start Nero --> select "CD-ROM (ISO)" --> click "New" --> select "File" --> select "burn image" --> select the ISO image file and click "open" to proceed.

That's all it needs to be done!

If you can boot from a floopy disk (from a bootable floppy disk created), you should be able to install your Redhat 7.1 (in my case, it's o.k.) from the hard disk. It goes like this:- Loading initrd.img ... --> running /sbin/loader ... --> choose a language --> ... --> Installation Method - What type of media contains the packages to be installed? "Local CDROM" or "Hard drive". Choose "Hard drive" here and point it to your ISO images. That's it.

sfhuang

Master Member
Reaction score
Set up FTP server on your Linux box

[Quoted from Curious's post]

If u r using RH 7 and below, edit the /etc/inetd.conf, remove the # to the line that points to wu-ftpd to activate the ftp daemon.

If running RH7.1, go to the directory /etc/xinetd.d and check whether there's this file called wu-ftpd there. If not, I think u should be able to create one yourself.

The content would be :

# default: on
# description: The wu-ftpd FTP server serves FTP connections. It uses \
# normal, unencrypted usernames and passwords for authentication.
service ftp
{
socket_type = stream
wait = no
user = root
server = /usr/sbin/in.ftpd
server_args = -l -a
log_on_success += DURATION USERID
log_on_failure += USERID
nice = 10
disable = no
}

tazzie

Master Member
Reaction score
For RedHat users, to find out more about supported Hardware, you can try:
http://www.redhat.com/support/hardware/

Since we are in the topic of hardware compatibility, chances are that you would need to know the current video card support by XFree86. The current version of 4.2.0 has it's hardware status list here:
http://www.xfree86.org/4.2.0/Status.html
Traditionally, they would just change the version number in the url to reflect the new status list.

tazzie

Master Member
Reaction score
GRUB/LILO Dual Booting Settings

The problem that many newbies face, when they install Linux onto their system for dual-booting is that they would almost invertibly say "I cannot access my Windows!!". In reality, Windows is still sitting there happily, and Linux has not done anything to the installation at all. In fact, the only thing that happened, was that GRUB/LILO does not recognise the partition (this is the case for NTFS).

Knowing how MS Windows XP likes to overwrite the MBR(Master Boot Record), the simplest installation procedure is as follows:
  1. fdisk the Hard drive and make a partition for Windows XP and leave whatever you want to allocate to Linux unpartitioned.
  2. Install Windows XP onto this partition. (This should be a primary partition!)
  3. Boot to the Linux install CD and partition the remaining unpartitioned part of the HD and install linux. (Install GRUB into the MBR, it should detect both OSes)
  4. Reboot and enjoy your new dual boot system!
    [/list=1]

After the installation, should GRUB/LILO not understand the Windows partition, it would just not show up as one of the dual-boot option, but this does not meant that it is not there. This can be fixed very easily. Modifications have to be done on the relevant configuration file.

Add the following lines to the /etc/grub.conf file:
    Code:
    title Windows XP
            root (hd0,0)
            makeactive
            chainloader +1

As it says in the grub.conf file. You do not have to restart GRUB as you did LILO for the changes to take afffect. Simply save the file and reboot. All should be well.

If you find yourself in a similar circumstance but you are using LILO instead, these lines can be added to the /etc/lilo.conf to fix the problem:
    Code:
    other=/dev/hda1 (device XP is installed on)
    label=Windows XP 
    table=/dev/hda

Save the file, and at the command prompt, type lilo. From this point on, LILO is restarted, and well in the way of recognising the vile partition (sorry...couldn't help it) :)

This simple HOWTO doesn't solve everybody's problem with dual-booting, but at least it would try to solve what most Windows user might experience during that first crucial installation.

shinryuken

Reaction score
NFS mount fails, RPC: timeout on RH7.2

This is due to the security setting changed on RH7.2. Now the security setting can be changed by typing 'setup' at terminal. Change firewall configuration to NO. High or medium will reject RPC request so making it unable to mount. The exact detail is available at http://www.redhat.com/support/resources/gotchas/7.2/
It had taken me 3 weeks to solve this problem before I found this piece of information.

Syaman

Master Member
Reaction score
Enabling write-access to FAT32 for users

You may find that you are not able to perform write operations (i.e. copy to, delete) on your mounted FAT32 Windows partition, except as "root". You can get around this by editing /etc/fstab (as root, of course).

Look for the line that specifies how your FAT32 partition is mounted, and add "umask=0,quiet" to it.

For example, it might then resemble the following:

/dev/hda1 /mnt/win vfat umask=0,quiet 1 1

The 'umask' option turns off the permissions check, without which, only 'root' can access files. 'quiet' turns off the (unimportant) error messages about not being able to set permissions when moving files to this device.

jf

Reaction score
kimchi said:
Wow, so many good stuff here!

CJ
Mandrake 8.2 PPC/OSX 10.2
http://-------.----.com

ahem, pls watch the signal-noise ratio for this thread. If you want to call attention to your own url, you can do so in your signature. ;)

please also provide a suitable description plus comments if any if you wish to call attention to a url

Last edited:

jf

Reaction score
Aztech 100U driver package for Singnet BroadBand

refer to www.lugs.org.sg
look for the block labelled "Local Open Source Projects" (it's over at the top right)

more info will be found there.

Take note to read the description - driver is beta, but still works.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.