Viewing Distance Discussion Thread

cscs3

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes, anything below 50" is waste of money buying a full HD.

Completely wrong concept. This type of reply is only from those who aleady bought HD Ready TV. Or sales person in those retail shop trying to sell all the HD Ready stock.

If price is the same, around the same or lower. Always pick a Full HD TV. This is the way it go. You will find the dot pitch is much smaller and almost not noticeable at same view distance. Also it covers about 20%+ more area even you are viewing non HD program.

In the next few months. You are going to see Full HD model even for 32".

petetherock

Reaction score
Unless you have proof otherwise cscs3, do not decieve others here about full HD panels being always better.

Readers should know that sitting too far away from a panel negates the benefits of a full HD panel. That is a fact.

iMbEst

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

how many months in exact? 3 months 6 months or 12 months? want to bet 1? It won't be out for the next 6 months for sure, and I seriously doubt it will be available in SG....

actually the panel itself could not be the most important factor. Most of the time, it's the source that you feed in. If you have a full HD source compared to a SD source or 720p source, you maybe able to see much more details even for HD-models. To be more practical, most people can't be bothered about this thing. We dun torture our eyes just to see more details, squeeze more juice out from our TV, it's not like playing with overclocking on your PC or something like that. Watching TV supposed to be a joy......

try that out with some apple quicktime movie trailers with different resolutions............

skthk21

Reaction score
was thinking if 37" more suitable for bedroom use then i increase my budget...

Last time people use 14" crt in their room.
i think 32 is abt just nice, maybe even 26 can.
Some people use 32 for their living room even.

iMbEst

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Last time people use 14" crt in their room.
i think 32 is abt just nice, maybe even 26 can.
Some people use 32 for their living room even.

again, size is very subjective to individual taste :D

jokerpoker81

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Viewing distance is an essntial part of the buying process. Sit too far away and you will be wasting money on a full HD panel. Thats as simple as I can put it. And I already posted that in this forum. If thats too hard to find its here:
http://myhometheater.homestead.com/viewingdistancemetric.html
If thats still hard to find, then I have nothing more to add.

OK bro, so means u agree or dun agree to the statement below, from the site i gave? coz normal hdb flat....viewing dist at most 3-5m? nia.....

"As a general guideline, if you are getting a HDTV set which is less than 42 inch, you won't be able to notice the resolution difference between a HD Ready set vs a Full HD set. ".

adslboi

Reaction score
viewing distance ?

in my room i have viewing distance of no more than 3 feet, is a 32" LCD tv too huge ??? hahaa :eek:

wat is the recommended size for my case? :s12:

acme

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone know wads the best viewing distance for 26" since im using it as desktop monitor

acme

Master Member
Reaction score
16:9 TV diagonal screen size Minimum distance (m) Maximum distance (m)
26 inches 1 2
30 inches 1.1 2.3
34 inches 1.3 2.6
42 inches 1.6 3.2
50 inches 1.95 3.8
65 inches 2.5 5
71 inches 2.8 5.4

*no idea how to create spacing -.-

Last edited:

xypher

Reaction score
How to determine the right tv size for my living room?

Hi guys,

I still using CRT tv now, and have been trying to catch up with the lcd/plasma tv happenings..
Is there a rule of thumb or formula to determine the ideal size for my living room?

From my sofa to the wall where the tv will be mounted, the distance is 8-9 feet. My dad says 32 inch looks alright but i think 37/42 will be a more ideal size..

Also, do glossy screens pose lots of glare problem?

Thank you for reading..

Kristy_Tan

Master Member
Reaction score
Completely wrong concept. This type of reply is only from those who aleady bought HD Ready TV. Or sales person in those retail shop trying to sell all the HD Ready stock.

If price is the same, around the same or lower. Always pick a Full HD TV. This is the way it go. You will find the dot pitch is much smaller and almost not noticeable at same view distance. Also it covers about 20%+ more area even you are viewing non HD program.

for gaming on ps3 and watching blu-ray movie, i agree full-hd is important

but for watching media corp or cable tv, hd-ready is sufficient

correct me if i wrong.

congster2

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
since full HD tvs are cheap these days, just get full HD lah. samsung 5 series are really a great bargain.

endokid

Reaction score
i'm doing 3m for 40" LCD.. good for DVD but too big for free-to-air (too pixelated)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.