[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

kevpaang

Reaction score
Keychain is the built in centralised password storage/tracking application... Keychain-compatible apps (Safari, Finder, some other 3rd party ones) swill store their passwords in there. You can configure it as appropriate, even to prompt you to enter your login password everytime it wants to autofill keychain information, if necessary.

As for the disk image, fire up Disk Utility, click on "New Image", give it a name, a size (the maximum size you expect the folder to be + a bit more space as needed), then the encryption method.

/Dan
Thks for the explanation again Dan.
I think the disk image should be what i need since its only 1 folder but for the encryption...will it be difficult to config? I havent fully understand the feature of my mac yet....so far i just use the basic word processing etc.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Thks for the explanation again Dan.
I think the disk image should be what i need since its only 1 folder but for the encryption...will it be difficult to config? I havent fully understand the feature of my mac yet....so far i just use the basic word processing etc.

I quickly tried to set one up, and I must say it's extremely easy... :) Perhaps you could try and play around with it? It shouldn't change anything for you.

Just set it to not remember the password in your keychain, and each time you open the DMG, you'll be prompted for your password.

No worries, we were all beginners at some point or other, and for some who are longtime PC users, the mindset shift is quite disconcerting - it's sometimes hard to believe that tasks like installing and uninstalling are so easy... Took me a couple of moments to get it, but now, I cannot stand .exe installers. :(

I'm quite sure that with some exploring, you'll start to find other uses to improve your productivity.

/Dan

Last edited:

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?

Unplug the display and reboot the macbook.. PLug it in after reboot and see how things go...

I think the recent 10.5.2 update had some display issues, which I'm hoping would be fixed in 10.5.3 (the developer seeds of which were rushed out for testing just within the last week)

OS X 10.4 started working really well for me only around 10.4.6 or so... I expect there to be some bugs, as that's in the nature of software engineering.

/Dan

qt

Reaction score
hi i have a qn, just now i changed some display settings for a presentation, now i can't change back to the original settings! the options for 1920 is not there. max is only 1280. im using a macbook. any help?

You can try clicking on 'Detect Displays' in 'System Preferences' > 'Displays'. OS X will then reattempt to detect all your displays.

sean-eka

Reaction score
Hey.
i'm a new mac user here
i just got my macbook not even a month ago. so yeah.
the 1st macbook i had, had hinges problem after about 5 days of use. so i brought it to epicenter to check it out. they told me they could do nothing, but replace a new one for me.

then 2 days after, they came to my place to collect the macbook.
after another few days a macbook came (which is almost 2 weeks ago), now, with the new macbook, the hinges problem came back again.
is there any way i could solve this problem without having to direct it to apple?

from what epicenter told me, the hinges (hardware) isn't covered by the warranty..
so yeah.

regards
sean

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey.
i'm a new mac user here
the 1st macbook i had, had hinges problem after about 5 days of use. so i brought it to epicenter to check it out. they told me they could do nothing, but replace a new one for me.

after another few days a macbook came (which is almost 2 weeks ago), now, with the new macbook, the hinges problem came back again.
is there any way i could solve this problem without having to direct it to apple?

from what epicenter told me, the hinges (hardware) isn't covered by the warranty..
so yeah.

regards
sean
Hmm.. Mind expanding on the problem a bit to give us an idea of what it is about? Perhaps pictures if you would be so kind.

If the hinge problem prohibits you from using the laptop reasonably, then it should obviously be covered by APP.

/Dan

sean-eka

Reaction score
Hey.
Erm, it does not prohibits me to use the macbook. however, it produce this creaking sound whenever i try to open or close my macbook, although it sounds pretty soft, but i'm pretty annoyed by the fact that after macbook has been exchanged, the same thing happens again.

it's pretty annoying too to hear your macbook creating a creaking sound everytime you try to open/move the screen.

-edit-
no photos as i do not even see a crack or whatsoever on the macbook cover. it just 'comes from within'.

Last edited:

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Hey.
Erm, it does not prohibits me to use the macbook. however, it produce this creaking sound whenever i try to open or close my macbook, although it sounds pretty soft, but i'm pretty annoyed by the fact that after macbook has been exchanged, the same thing happens again.

it's pretty annoying too to hear your macbook creating a creaking sound everytime you try to open/move the screen.

-edit-
no photos as i do not even see a crack or whatsoever on the macbook cover. it just 'comes from within'.
Oh.. Perhaps try to contact apple hotline and ask... I know what you mean, it's something that doesn't affect functionality but is very uncomfortable to have around.

/Dan

shiahzy

Reaction score
Hey.
i'm a new mac user here

so yeah.

regards
sean

Did you get it from Apple Store online or epicentre?

You can claim that the hinges problem is a workmanship problem and that is spelled out in the warrantly. Epicentre likes to use the excuse of "not covered under warrantly" to turn people away.

Try other service centres for a secondary opinion.

sean-eka

Reaction score
hey, i thank all of you all for the wonderful comments.

i got it from the apple online store.

i've brought it down to epicenter, then to sapura to get it done.
they told me that i had to "live with it" or get it exchanged (Since that time it was under the 14 day exchange programme thing)

Lasat time, during the first time i did call apple customer hotline, and they referred me to a local apple servicing company, QCD. The guy flared at me when i was only explaining him my problem. Then, soon after, Sapura called me back and told me that the next day, the courier person would come to collect my macbook from me, to get it exchanged.

after the 2nd macbook came, it was alright, until just now, i noticed the creaking sound.
very very irritating. i was pretty disappointed, after the 2nd time.
Perhaps, it's because they only see me as a student, trying to get a macbook repaired, and don't value me?

i really don't know, i doubt anyone is as 'suay' as me..

shiahzy

Reaction score
I don't have a good experience with QCD. Why did he suddenly flare up?

You should try calling technical support and tell them that your macbook is less than a week old and ask for a case number to your problem so you can get it exchanged.

Then call the online store, give them your case number and they will do the exchange for you.

You don't have to go down to the service centre personally. As long as it is within 14 days, you should be able to get it exchanged or get a refund.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I don't have a good experience with QCD. Why did he suddenly flare up?

You should try calling technical support and tell them that your macbook is less than a week old and ask for a case number to your problem so you can get it exchanged.

Then call the online store, give them your case number and they will do the exchange for you.

You don't have to go down to the service centre personally. As long as it is within 14 days, you should be able to get it exchanged or get a refund.

They do have a stupid policy of getting a service centre to "verify" the problem with a service report... It's really dumb, considering they trust customers in the USA (or more correctly, they want to avoid law suits and other problems)

/Dan

sean-eka

Reaction score
is it still under the 14 day?
i'm on my 2nd notebook already.

i'm still uncertain whether to call up apple to get an exchange again. backing up my harddisk would be another painful 6 hours. goodness.

do you all know of any repair shops that could just fix the hinges?
i do not mind paying like $50 for it to be done. I'm very very sick of apple. it's very disappointing, considering that this is my first laptop, and it's going to be with me for the next 3 years, i'm really wondering how i'm going to go through the 3 years if this type of hardware problems keep surfacing..

i am not looking forward to having it exchanged (time and time again).

cyuxiang

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Some discussion on the problem here... http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=218152

Cleaning the dust out is okay... playing around with the screws might cause your screen to mis-align, so nope. WD-40? I wouldn't do that.

There are other threads if you Google for "macbook hinge creak". Be equipped with knowledge of similar incidents before approaching any service centre staff. Reason it out with anyone that attends to your case if the service is not to your satisfaction. You will get referred to a more senior and knowledgeable staff, and hopefully, he can help to solve your problem.

Can you tell us more about your QCD visit? It will serve as a good piece of precautionary advice for the rest of us here.

sean-eka

Reaction score
Hey.
on the 17th of march, monday evening i received my macbook. it was pretty late, around 9.45 then i received it.

on 21st of march, in the morning, i noticed some creaking sounds made when i tried to open my macbook. I thought it'd be just some minor problems, and I went off to work.
when i came back from work, i used my laptop again, and the creaking sounds became even more prominent. I gave Apple Customer Service a call, and they told me they could do nothing about it, and that what they only could do, was to gimme a case number and referred me to any service centres in singapore.

on the 22nd of march, saturday, i went down to Sapura and Wheelock to get my macbook checked. The person manning the counter, once noted my problem, brought my macbook in, to let the supervisor see what could be done to it. I quote him, "We could not do anything to this macbook, as this case is very rare and happens pretty rarely with the macbooks. Did you get this macbook via any shops or online?"
I replied "online."
The sales person said that they'll refer this case to apple international for me. but i said that i already had a case number, and i gave it to them. They said they'll call me up when there's any follow up to it.

On the 24th of march, monday, at around 1pm, i have not received a call from any one (i was being pretty impatient), and i decided to give Apple customer service a call again, to find out if Sapura had already told them about my case. They told me that the case is being processed at the moment and asked me to go down to another service centre (they said QCD). I was like, alright, why not?

I called up QCD, and this guy (let's just call him john), answered the phone.
(i called the main helpline). I explained my case as what is being typed down here to john. I also added that "Apple hasn't gave me a solid reply as of now, and I'm a pretty impatient person".
John, being so 'kind', decided to raise his voice at me and said, "HUH? Like that ah? I don't know eh, I mean, you bring it down to QCD also no use, you have to either wait for apple to give you a reply, or you'd have to LIVE WITH IT". I said thanks, and put the phone down.

(who could LIVE WITH a macbook which created creaking sounds during the first 5 days of its use?)

30 mins later, Sapura called me and told me that I could get an exchange for my macbook. They told me to call up QCD to arrange for a courier person to come down to my place to pick it up. I, being a newbie in macs, really called back QCD. And John said, "YOU WERE THE PERSON WHO CALLED JUST NOW AH? I TOLD YOU TO WAIT FOR APPLE INTL TO CALL YOU BACK ALREADY, WHY NOT BE A BIT MORE PATIENT?"
I was furious, I said, "yes they already called me back, and they told me to ask you to arrange for a courier person to come down to my place to pick the macbook up, and they told me i could get a replacement."
John said, "WHAT?! WE DONT DO REPLACEMENT LA. SAPURA GOT IT ALL WRONG. I TELL YOU, DONT TRUST OTHER SERVICE CENTRES, SOMETIMES IT'S BEST TO CALL APPLE STRAIGHT. YOU GO YOU GO, GIVE APPLE CUSTOMER SERVICE A CALL. THEY'LL ARRANGE FOR ME, AND NOT ME." I said thanks, and I could hear him grumbling to his colleagues in the background.

Tsk. Then, i called Apple customer service again, and they picked my macbook up the next day (tuesday, 25th march) and only returned it to me on the 31st of march, as it was a public holiday on the friday, and they said they only delivers on working days).

Okay, i need to ask this, is it really true that some service centres do not know what they're talking about? (the case above), should sapura have told me to call Apple customer direct?

shiahzy

Reaction score
Actually service centres do not arrange for pick-ups of spoilt units. They are right to say that, but being that rude is unacceptable.

Maybe you are new, but with the case number, you can just call Apple online directly to arrange for a replacement. You don't have to verify it at the service centre. Apple online will only need to see a case number to process the replacement, and they don't care about the rest.

I pity you that you are subjected to such bad services. Personally, I don't like visiting the service centres because of what you have experienced. But if I have to, I would try Micro2000.

In case you are wondering, you are still under the 14 days RMA because warrantly is tag to machine serial number. So no worries, you are still eligible for replacement or refund.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Yeah, the service centres are private companies and sometimes get information wrong...

From what I can quickly calculate, you should still be within 14 days of the new unit.. Call and ask for a replacement...

/Dan

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.