iRobot Scooba experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
Refurished??? Did they puy wrongly? Last time they are selling New discovery at this price. :s22:

Even a refurished roomba scheduler only cost $99.99

2dv9bf6.jpg

XxDrAg0nxX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
jialat, think I got a "CONVERTER" instead of a transformers......

it's written down there Super brand Automatic AC CONVERTER !!!!

i think most of you also got this.....CONVERTER!!!!

2ntlahx.jpg

Hey guys, so confirm I am supposed to look out for this one right?

This one is a typo on the box its a Transformer right?

WJY

Master Member
Reaction score
me more tam xim bet the 230w one for 32 buck..... ish more power the better

mosmos

High Honorary Member
Reaction score
i got a 230w one, can that power two irobot? where to get extention for 110v?

normal hardware shop should have sell 2 pins extension socket strip. But normally the main plug is 3 pin type. :s22:

XxDrAg0nxX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How come all called converter ah..

Not Transformer?

Tot we are supposed to get Transformers?

ktee

Reaction score
Hey guys, so confirm I am supposed to look out for this one right?

This one is a typo on the box its a Transformer right?

I've been using this for about a year. If this is not the correct type, I also dont know which is correct... :D

ktee

Reaction score
Refurished??? Did they puy wrongly? Last time they are selling New discovery at this price. :s22:

Even a refurished roomba scheduler only cost $99.99

Ya loh. Woot is desperate to make more $. I bought the refurb scheduler for 99.99 fr woot earlier. If it is a scheduler, i might hoot 1 for my cousin. =:p

XxDrAg0nxX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial] Converter or Transformer? [/FONT]
10x10_clearpixel.gif
10x10_clearpixel.gif
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial][SIZE=-1] [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Converters and transformers are electric conversion products that enable safe operation of electric devices in foreign countries. Electric devices that are designed for use with 110V systems require foreign 220V current to be "stepped-down." Devices that are designed for use with 220V systems require foreign 110V current to be "stepped-up."[/FONT] [FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The choice between a converter or a transformer depends on several things.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]First, is your device an electric appliance with a high power heating element or mechanical motor such as a hair dryer or iron? If you are using an electric appliance, you need a converter. Or is your device electronic, using electronic chips or circuits, such as a computer, printer or VCR? If you are using an electronic device, you need a transformer. When in doubt about the type of device, use a transformer. Both electric appliances and electronic devices work with a transformer, but only electric appliances work with a converter.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Second, is your use continuous and long-term or is it sporadic and short term? Transformers are designed for long term, continuous use. Converters are designed to operate for only an hour or two at a time.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]What's the difference between a converter and a transformer? It lies in how the device converts voltage current. AC power is supplied in alternating bursts that are in a shape called a "sine wave." To reduce 220V to 110V, for example, a converter chops off the sine waves in half whereas a transformer alters the length of the sine waves. This is a critical difference because electronic devices require a full sine wave for operation thus can operate only with a transformer. Electric appliances function with either a full or a half sine wave so can be operated with either a converter or a transformer. [/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]The converter's short-term use and "chopping" off of sine waves are relatively simple and compact functions. The transformer's continuous use and alteration of sine waves are relatively sophisticated functions and require more space. As a result, transformers are generally larger, heavier and much more expensive than converters. Thus if you are going to travel with an electronic device you should purchase one that is dual voltage if it is available.[/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana,Helvetica,Arial]Most converters and transformers that are available to the consumer do not alter or convert the "cycles," shown as "Hz" on most devices. Although cycle differences may not cause a problem with many devices, they do with some. See our Cycles / Hz Tech Note for further explanation.[/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Sauce: http://www.laptoptravel.com/Article.aspx?ID=339

XxDrAg0nxX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How much power does a small transformer consume when plugged in but not doing anything?

Tons of products use transformers. Walk around your home and you probably see them everywhere. In my house, I found them attached to my printer, scanner, speakers, answering machine, cordless phone, electric screwdriver, electric drill, baby monitor, clock radio, camcorder… You get the idea. A typical home probably has five to 10 of these little transformers plugged into the wall at any given time.
transformer1.jpg

It turns out that these transformers consume power whenever they are plugged into the wall, whether they are connected to a device or not. They also waste power when powering a device.
If you have ever felt one and it was warm, that is wasted energy turned to heat. The power consumption is not large -- on the order of 1 to 5 watts per transformer. But it does add up. Let's say that you have 10 of them, and they consume 5 watts each. That means that 50 watts are being wasted constantly. If a kilowatt-hour costs a dime in your area, that means you are spending a dime every 20 hours. That's about $44 every year down the drain. Or, think of it this way -- there are roughly 100 million households in the United States. If each household wastes 50 watts on these transformers, that's a total of 5 billion watts. As a nation, that's half a million dollars wasted every hour, or $4,380,000,000 wasted every year! Think of what you could do with 4 billion dollars…
Where these small loads really take a toll is in remote locations powered by things like solar cells and wind generators. In these systems, you are paying something on the order of $10 to $20 per watt (once you add up the cost of the solar cells, the batteries to store the power, the power regulators and inverter, etc.). Fifty watts at $20 per watt means that you have to spend an additional $1,000 just to power the transformers. In these kinds of systems, small loads are something you avoid by unplugging the transformers when not in use or by eliminating the transformer and powering the device straight from the battery bank to improve efficiency.
However, the added electricity expense is offset by the manufacturing cost savings passed along to the customer, hopefully, as a lower product selling price. For example, it costs a manufacturer considerably less to manufacture and stock one universal "flavor" of printer that runs on 12 volts DC. The manufacturer then packages the printer with a country-dependent voltage AC wall transformer for the country it's being sold in. When a new version of the device comes out, the manufacturer doesn't need to retool the power supply.
For more information on transformers and saving energy, check out the links on the next page.

Sauce:http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/question291.htm

ktee

Reaction score
ya lor so stressful... might as well mod the bugger...

But i scared never do properly then poof! :(

I poofed my 1st roomba charger. Still dont know why? After modding, voltage chk ok. When plugged in, the light blink n went off. Then the charger RIP. :(

XxDrAg0nxX

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I poofed my 1st roomba charger. Still dont know why? After modding, voltage chk ok. When plugged in, the light blink n went off. Then the charger RIP. :(

WAH LANS EH...

YOu just shrank my balls..... :s8:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.