[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I have a good one "maybe". How do you guys open winRAR file ?

Hmm.. I can't remember, but doesn't this extract by default with the usual extractor helper app? I know I have betterZip installed, but I don't recall using BetterZip to extract RAR, .tar.gz, or zip...

In any case, if you want to be absolutely sure, The Unarchiver. ;)

/Dan

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Another problem is the preview on Macbook. Can't seem to use it. Click on it nothing happens. Can't seem to preview anything, including jpeg files.

What do you mean by nothing happens? When you click on its Dock Icon, does it bounce and launch? Would dragging a .jpg file into its Dock Icon launch it? How about when you simply double-click on a .jpg?

If none of the above happens, it sounds like your Preview.app is corrupted. And that can happen if your harddisk developed bad clusters, or become coruppted over-time. I suggest you run Disk Utility now to verify it, and Repair it if necessary. But of course, that won't rejuvenate your damaged Preview.app. :)

But frankly, judging from the issue you have with Flash installer, your OS might also be screwed as the Installer may be going loops to find a file.

I'd say fix your harddisk and re-install OS X.

Last edited:

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
I've just reinstalled the flash plugin on my MBP.. No issues. Download it from adobe's web site (While you're at it, download the uninstaller too. The new flash plugin fixes a security bug!)

Uninstall the Flash plugin, reboot... Repair permissions, reinstall the flash plugin. It should install for all your browsers.

/Dan

Problem is i tried the uninstaller too and it also has the same problem. Hangs there while the wheel just keeps spinning. Wonder whats the problem.

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
What do you mean by nothing happens? When you click on its Dock Icon, does it bounce and launch? Would dragging a .jpg file into its Dock Icon launch it? How about when you simply double-click on a .jpg?

If none of the above happens, it sounds like your Preview.app is corrupted. And that can happen if your harddisk developed bad clusters, or become coruppted over-time. I suggest you run Disk Utility now to verify it, and Repair it if necessary. But of course, that won't rejuvenate your damaged Preview.app. :)

But frankly, judging from the issue you have with Flash installer, your OS might also be screwed as the Installer may be going loops to find a file.

I'd say fix your harddisk and re-install OS X.

This sounds kind of weird. But when my wife bought the MB from the shop at 5th floor of funan, it didn't come with the OS X disk. I didn't realised that till a few months later, which i guess might be too late right ?

Anyway, when i click on it, it does bounce but it does not launch. Double-click a jpg file, nothing happens too.

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
This sounds kind of weird. But when my wife bought the MB from the shop at 5th floor of funan, it didn't come with the OS X disk. I didn't realised that till a few months later, which i guess might be too late right ?

Anyway, when i click on it, it does bounce but it does not launch. Double-click a jpg file, nothing happens too.

Sorry for my bluntness. I saw the disk in a small box of the big box. Whatever it is .. i found it.

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score

yanbros

Master Member
Reaction score
Try repairing it first mah. Cannot repair then you go buy the huge one you wanted, ok?

You ever use Onyx to maintain your OS X anot?

http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582

Go to the Automation tab and tick those options as pictured then click Execute.

Make sure you let Onyx verify your Harddisk when it launches.

Good luck.

ok repaired my hdd. Flash is installed, preview is in, but its in japanese ???? How come? How to get it back to english?

bellick

Reaction score
hey guys.. was wondering how to install the themes from interfaceLIFT.com

i tried using shapeshifter but i get a

Preferences Error

Could not load ShapeShifter preference pane.

bedposthalo

Reaction score
Hello all, I have this issue and I need your expert advice.

I am using a 1.83 GHz Intel Core Duo MacBook, 1 GB RAM with Leopard (patches are all updated). Every time when I play DOTA I cant quit WC3FT client properly. The screen just stalls there after I click "Quit". Is there anything wrong?

Also is there a way to alt tab out of DOTA to the desktop with Leopard?

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I'm at the crossroads here thinking of getting a PC laptop or a Mbp. Have been using PC for the past 15yrs...so the leap of faith is scary. After reading and getting some recommendations..some even proclaim "I will NEVER use a PC again" statement really makes me think whether is it time to get a Mac.

I had loads of question in my mind....lots n lots...before i decide whether to make the leap...probably i will juz shoot whatever qn I hv now and any kind apple fan care to share their views to me.

1) Security issues in Mac OS - If I decide to hv a dual boot..Win XP & Mac OS in my Mbp then do I need to install the Firewall/AntiV/Anti-watever on to XP or MAc OS?

2) Which security software is most secure with Mac OS?

3) Bootcamp works by creating a partition to divide the different OS. Let's say i switch on my mpb n it boots in Mac OS then half way i need to switch to win XP, i need to switch on & off to reboot into XP?

4) If in Mac OS, can chat with friends in MSN a nt?

5) I'm a sucker for sopcast and online streaming movies..Sopcast used to watch soccer keke...so Mac OS can do all these things?

That's all for now...Anyway just to say a bit why I'm at the crossroad is becoz my PC passed away last night...and i think is high time I buy either a new lappie or desktop...so mpb is one on the high list...to consider...

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
Keke...on 2nd thought...i think mbp is out of my leag. Just saw the damage...piang $3k min lor...my budget is <2.5k so if possible is the macbook black colour. 13" 2.4ghz C2D.

I dun do much gaming...mostly is for work, e-mail, msn, sopcast, movie streaming etc..

Next question:

1) Battery life, any comments about battery in macbook? Pc laptop i can plug out the battery in case i using plug to power coz wouldn't want to spoilt the battery in the long run. However in macbook, i think the batt is in built, so how...? battery wear off easily a nt from the constant charging?

2) With the normal configuration in the macbook i buy, can i add ram..for example the default comes with 2gb ram, wanna add 1gb more can?

Thanks for your time. :yawn:

crashfire

Reaction score
Read below for answers...

Hi guys,

I'm at the crossroads here thinking of getting a PC laptop or a Mbp. Have been using PC for the past 15yrs...so the leap of faith is scary. After reading and getting some recommendations..some even proclaim "I will NEVER use a PC again" statement really makes me think whether is it time to get a Mac.

I had loads of question in my mind....lots n lots...before i decide whether to make the leap...probably i will juz shoot whatever qn I hv now and any kind apple fan care to share their views to me.

1) Security issues in Mac OS - If I decide to hv a dual boot..Win XP & Mac OS in my Mbp then do I need to install the Firewall/AntiV/Anti-watever on to XP or MAc OS?

You will probably need to install Antivirus and Anti-spyware in Windows OS and probably just enable the firewall in Mac OS.

2) Which security software is most secure with Mac OS?

Erm...not really needed..in my opinion.

3) Bootcamp works by creating a partition to divide the different OS. Let's say i switch on my mpb n it boots in Mac OS then half way i need to switch to win XP, i need to switch on & off to reboot into XP?

If I'm not mistaken, you need to restart your machine and then press the option button to choose which OS to load. Use Parallels or VMFusion instead if you wish to access Windows on the Mac OS.

4) If in Mac OS, can chat with friends in MSN a nt?

You can use MSN Messenger for Mac but recommended applications would be Adium and aMSN.

5) I'm a sucker for sopcast and online streaming movies..Sopcast used to watch soccer keke...so Mac OS can do all these things?

No that I know of. Sopcast, ppmate,pplive, TVAnts all currently are not supported for Mac OS. There's only one way...loading up sopcast in parallels Windows OS, then using VLC in Mac OS to watch on Mac Platform. Else, just simply load sopcast in Windows.

That's all for now...Anyway just to say a bit why I'm at the crossroad is becoz my PC passed away last night...and i think is high time I buy either a new lappie or desktop...so mpb is one on the high list...to consider...

Hope my answers are of help...

crashfire

Reaction score
Keke...on 2nd thought...i think mbp is out of my leag. Just saw the damage...piang $3k min lor...my budget is <2.5k so if possible is the macbook black colour. 13" 2.4ghz C2D.

I dun do much gaming...mostly is for work, e-mail, msn, sopcast, movie streaming etc..

Next question:

1) Battery life, any comments about battery in macbook? Pc laptop i can plug out the battery in case i using plug to power coz wouldn't want to spoilt the battery in the long run. However in macbook, i think the batt is in built, so how...? battery wear off easily a nt from the constant charging?

In Macbook, the battery can be removed from the machine, but I wouldn't recommend that you plug out the battery at anytime. Just remember to do monthly calibration for your battery. Read the Calibration advice from Apple here: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=86284

2) With the normal configuration in the macbook i buy, can i add ram..for example the default comes with 2gb ram, wanna add 1gb more can?

yes, the new intel Macs all use the same RAM and hard disk as the other PC notebooks. Usually for 2GB Ram, it comes in 2 x 1GB ram, effectively taking up the two slots for MacBook. You could just buy 2 x 2GB instead, bringing your total memory to 4GB. 2GB ram can be had for less than $60 these days in sim lim square. Just remember to keep your original RAM, in case you need to send your machine back to Apple for repairs.

Thanks for your time. :yawn:

Hope the answers will help welcome you to the Apply family soon...

bellick

Reaction score
hey guys.. was wondering how to install the themes from interfaceLIFT.com

i tried using shapeshifter but i get a

Preferences Error

Could not load ShapeShifter preference pane.

anyone can answer my question? greatly appreciated. thanks

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.