[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
So crashfire,

1) You'r saying if use Mac OS X no need security software or firewall to prevent any attacks/spywares etc?

2) Can use bootcamp and parellels @ the same time?

3) I go online store to check if add ram how much...damage is like $600 more than usual price juz to make 2gb to 4gb...why isit so..? If i buy the 2 x 2gb ram from sim lim/outside, where can fix it up for me...? Will it void the warranty?

3) Who knows macbook ram is use which ram? kingston? cosair?

crashfire

Reaction score
To Bellick:
1. What software do i need in order to install themes on Mac OS X?
Currently, all themes distributed by InterfaceLIFT for use with Mac OS X require ShapeShifter by Unsanity L.L.C.. ShapeShifter costs US$20.00 and has a trial period which allows you to evaluate the software before purchase (subject to change by Unsanity L.L.C.).

For more information about ShapeShifter or to download the latest versions, please visit: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/

*Note - Shapeshifter currently does not work with Mac OS 10.5

To eD|t|0n:
1) You'r saying if use Mac OS X no need security software or firewall to prevent any attacks/spywares etc?

I meant lesser compared to Windows as they usually target the dominant OS to infect. For me, I only use Firewall to secure my Mac. For more security information regarding Mac OS, refer to this link by one of the Mac Users here: http://arstechnica.com/guides/tweaks/mac-os-x-security.ars

2) Can use bootcamp and parellels @ the same time?

Nope, you use bootcamp when you first switch on your Mac, choose to start with either the Mac OS or Windows OS. For parallels, you can run the windows in a window on your Mac OS. You can use the same windows partition on bootcamp to start parallels.

3) I go online store to check if add ram how much...damage is like $600 more than usual price juz to make 2gb to 4gb...why isit so..? If i buy the 2 x 2gb ram from sim lim/outside, where can fix it up for me...? Will it void the warranty?

Erm...Apple needs to pay all those Apple Geniuses' salaries...so the high cost...=:p
Anyway, you can just get the RAM from the shops in sim lim and if you bring your macbook there, they will fix it in for you. Its actually pretty simple to install your own RAM in a Macbook, just check ifixit.com. Warranty-wise, it may void it, but that why you need to keep the original RAM that comes with your Macbook so that you can put the original RAM back in before you send it for repair.

3) Who knows macbook ram is use which ram? kingston? cosair?
The RAM that apple uses varies, just like the LCD panel... but heard something that the RAM with micron chips work the best, though so far, just the usual Kingston RAM works fine..also the RAM comes with lifetime warranty.[/QUOTE]

Hope I have provided the answers to your questions and may you be a happy owner of a new MacBook soon. (I'm still a very new user to the Mac community and so, moderators and the Mac Old Birds, please correct me if any information I have provided is wrong)

aloysius_xavier

Reaction score
To Bellick:
1. What software do i need in order to install themes on Mac OS X?
Currently, all themes distributed by InterfaceLIFT for use with Mac OS X require ShapeShifter by Unsanity L.L.C.. ShapeShifter costs US$20.00 and has a trial period which allows you to evaluate the software before purchase (subject to change by Unsanity L.L.C.).

For more information about ShapeShifter or to download the latest versions, please visit: http://www.unsanity.com/haxies/shapeshifter/

*Note - Shapeshifter currently does not work with Mac OS 10.5

To eD|t|0n:

The RAM that apple uses varies, just like the LCD panel... but heard something that the RAM with micron chips work the best, though so far, just the usual Kingston RAM works fine..also the RAM comes with lifetime warranty.
Hope I have provided the answers to your questions and may you be a happy owner of a new MacBook soon. (I'm still a very new user to the Mac community and so, moderators and the Mac Old Birds, please correct me if any information I have provided is wrong)

I have been using 4GB Kingston ValueRAM for my MBP on my SR MBP since eons ago, so far so good, no problems whatsoever. Just make sure the RAM is PC-5300 677MHz DDR2

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
should i wait till 3rd qtr to buy new mb becoz there is rumours apple discountinuing the mb & mpb currently...?

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
To Bellick:

3) when i upgraded my ram at ishop, they changed my ram to twinmos with elpida chips. didnt noe they are those til i went sls and bought kingson rams for my macbook which happen to use the same ram chips. and yes they work fine.

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
should i wait till 3rd qtr to buy new mb becoz there is rumours apple discountinuing the mb & mpb currently...?
if u need , u buy now. if no need wait. wait til u really need to use den buy. u cant wait forever, too.

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
if u need , u buy now. if no need wait. wait til u really need to use den buy. u cant wait forever, too.

6mths can wait la...hope they going to make a better built lor...but heard no optical drive in the new models isit...no optical drive is a definitely down down...haiz...

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
if surf net using winXP OS under bootcamp of macbook, need to install additional firewall...or macbook default firewall is enough?

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
if got dual OS on macbook, need to install 2 antivirus app. or only install 1 to cover both OS...?

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
6mths can wait la...hope they going to make a better built lor...but heard no optical drive in the new models isit...no optical drive is a definitely down down...haiz...
oh didnt noe tat.. i tot it will come in alu this time..maybe LED screens for all.. illum keyboard too maybe?

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
if surf net using winXP OS under bootcamp of macbook, need to install additional firewall...or macbook default firewall is enough?

What you mean "MacBook Firewall"? The notebook doesn't have (hardware) firewall. The firewall you are refering to is the one build into Mac OS X. Knowing that, do you think Botcamp, being independent from Mac OS X, can benefit from it? Of course not.

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
if got dual OS on macbook, need to install 2 antivirus app. or only install 1 to cover both OS...?

Ditto.

Bootcamp <> Mac OS X.

When you run Winblows under Bootcamp in a Mac, you enjoy all the benefits Winblows brings and none of the short-comings of Mac OS X. The MacBook operates as if it's a Dell notebook.

Last edited:

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
i have a question.

tried to do software update for my mom's MB, the previous update was done quite long ago so it came out with 14 updates. started the update, and it got stuck with the installing progress bar at 6%. waited for abt 30mins, still stuck, force shut down it.
tried it another time, choosing just 2 updates. tot 14 was too much to do at a time. went to do my own stuff, forgot abt it, and when i came back a few hours later, it was still stuck.

i didn't do anything to the MB during the update, AC cord was plugged in all the time.

i think i should try it again? repair disk permissions??

anfielder

Master Member
Reaction score
i have a question.

tried to do software update for my mom's MB, the previous update was done quite long ago so it came out with 14 updates. started the update, and it got stuck with the installing progress bar at 6%. waited for abt 30mins, still stuck, force shut down it.
tried it another time, choosing just 2 updates. tot 14 was too much to do at a time. went to do my own stuff, forgot abt it, and when i came back a few hours later, it was still stuck.

i didn't do anything to the MB during the update, AC cord was plugged in all the time.

maybe you should manually download the update from the apple website and install it

and yes, repair disk permissions before installing the update.

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score

Is there enough free disk space?

Anyways, download Onyx (http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/11582 -- pick the correct version for your OS) and under the "Automation" tab, select every options except for Rebuilding LaunchServices & Display of folder content, and hit Execute. That should clean up your Mac.

BenXiaoHai

Reaction score
hey guys, quick question, how do i format an external hdd with mac? can't seem to find the option for it lei... its in ntsc format now.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.