A.C. Milan Forum - Welcome to San Siro, Home of the Rossoneri

Overture1928

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Flamini: I Moved For Milan, Not Money
Mathieu Flamini has revealed he would still be at Arsenal if they had offered him a new contract last summer, and quashed claims he left the club in search of a fatter wallet…

The club refused to offer the French midfielder a new deal at the start of the season, instead insisting he must prove he was worthy of extending his stay at the Emirates.

He certainly did that, and how. The 24-year-old starred all season long for the Gunners, forming an excellent midfield partnership with Cesc Fabregas, effectively keeping veteran midfielder Gilberto Silva out of the team and prompting the January sale of compatriot Lassana Diarra.

The Gunners attempted to rescue the situation during the winter, but the fixture pile-up over the holiday season made it impractical for any in-depth discussions to take place or any resolution to occur.

The Marseille man’s reputation was ever-growing as the season progressed, so by the time Arsenal finally got around to offering him a new deal, they were competing with some of the heavyweights of European football.

Barcelona, Bayern Munich, Internazionale and Juventus were all in for Flamini’s signature, but it was AC Milan who secured his services – and for free, to boot.

Gunners boss Arsene Wenger accused the player of profiteering, but Flamini hit back at claims that he was only after money and insisted the club should have shown more interest if they wanted to keep him so badly.

Huge Decision

“If Arsenal had offered me a contract last summer I would still be their player now,” he said. “Last July I told Arsenal I wanted to extend my contract so, of course, I would have signed if they had offered me a deal . . . but they didn’t.

“They said they wanted me to prove myself first. It was difficult for me at the beginning. I had to see it as a challenge but I won’t lie, it was not easy. You have to be mentally very strong to cope.

“If I had a serious injury my future would have been in question as I was out of contract. But, touch wood, I don’t want to think about these things and, thankfully, I played well and I can be proud of what I achieved.

“We started to speak in December but I knew it was a huge decision. At that time we were playing every three days. I didn’t want to think too much about that because I wanted to focus on my performances. It was difficult for me as I started to have offers from big clubs.

“I’ve enormous respect for Arsene Wenger. But I did not leave for the money. It is not true. I don’t want to comment about what he said or how I felt when I read his comments.

“But I will say I’m leaving for Milan because it’s one of the biggest clubs in the world — with millions of fans everywhere, an enormous history and one of the biggest trophy cabinets in the world. Milan are in the Champions League final every couple of years. Arsenal are a big club too and they have ambition. But I chose to go to Milan. If you think it was easy for me to leave Arsenal you couldn’t be more wrong.

“Until the last moment I couldn’t make my mind up. It breaks your heart to see all these people wanting you to stay. Even on the last day after the Everton game they were not sure I was going to leave because even I was not sure. Then after I passed my medical at Milan I went to see Arsene. It was emotional but he accepted my decision.

“Those who say I left for the money should think that I signed as a 20-year-old and I left with the same salary I had when I came to Arsenal. If money was the reason I played for Arsenal, then why did I play for four years with the same contract?

“I had the chance to go to some of the biggest clubs in Europe. Even if I stayed at Arsenal I’d still have earned a lot of money. I took my decision based on what I wanted for the future. Milan is the most decorated club in the world, along with Real Madrid.

“I’m half-Italian and it was an opportunity to go back to my roots. My father Roland is the proudest person in the world that I’ve finally gone to Italy.”

Exodus?

Flamini’s departure and the events surrounding it have sparked speculation of a summer exodus from the Emirates.

The Gunners went trophyless for the third consecutive season, and amid concerns Wenger will persist with youth policy instead of dipping into to the transfer market, several key players are rumoured to want out.

Aleksandr Hleb is reportedly close to signing a deal with Inter, after his agent confirmed recently that the Belarus international seeks a return to the continent and is fed up with the hustle and bustle of the English capital.

Cesc Fabregas has been on the radars of Real Madrid and Barcelona for several years, but his fellow midfielders exiting all around him he may finally take up the offer to return to his native Spain.

Flamini is uncertain of his former team-mates’ plans, but he insists they were fully supportive of his decision to leave even though they desperately wanted him to remain at the club.

“I honestly don’t know what will happen with Cesc or Alex,” he said. “My team-mates knew I had a decision to make and respected it. They know one day they may have to make a decision themselves.

“Cesc was trying hard to make me change my mind. We have a great partnership on the pitch and are friends off it. My team-mates wanted me to stay. They have been amazing that’s why I will never forget them.”

Bombshell

Flamini also dropped a bombshell by revealing he had a mega-money offer from one of Arsenal’s Premier League rivals.

Liverpool and Chelsea were speculatively linked with the combative midfielder, as were Newcastle and Manchester City, but no news of a solid offer ever reached the headlines.

And Flamini reiterated his stance in response to claims he left the Gunners purely for financial gain, insisting he need not have left England if he was merely after a swollen bank account.

“Some people say I left for money but I could have joined an English club who offered me much more than Arsenal,” he said. “But I decided against it out of my respect and bond with the club.”

Good choice. Milan takes good care of their players.

vasilli07

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cafu Waves Goodbye To Milan
Brazilian legend Cafu has waved an emotional farewell to Milan, as he prepares to play his final game for the club before returning to Brazil.

http://goal.com/en/Articolo.aspx?ContenutoId=698846

3 brazilians leaving milan this summer...

Dida, Cafu and Serginho, thank you for the service to Milan

Deunamist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
we will always remember Serginho for giving us:

200001intermilan01nf2.jpg

Deunamist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cafu's letter to the Milan fans:

Cari tifosi rossoneri,
La partita di domani sarà per me l’ultima con la maglia del Milan. Sono trascorsi cinque anni da quando sono entrato a far parte della grande famiglia rossonera e ben undici dal mio arrivo in Italia.
Sono stati anni indimenticabili, ricchi di emozioni indescrivibili per me e la mia famiglia e di grandi soddisfazioni professionali che, come accade nello sport e nella vita, a volte si alternano a sentimenti meno felici. Potrei elencare una lunga serie di momenti che resteranno sempre nella mia memoria: dai primi successi con il San Paolo e con il Palmeiras, alla straordinaria conquista dello scudetto con la Roma, al momento in cui, da Capitano della Seleçao, ho alzatola Coppa del Mondo in Giappone nel 2002, fino alla vittoria, con i nostri colori,
dello scudetto nel 2004 e della Champions League nella scorsa stagione.
Non posso dimenticare però esperienze meno fortunate ma a cui sono ugualmente legato come l’inspiegabile notte di Istanbul. Tutti traguardi a cui si arriva lottando fino in fondo, con il sorriso sulle labbra e con una buona dose di umiltà, lavoro duro e sacrificio. Sono queste ultime infatti le caratteristiche che rappresentano non solo me, ma l’intero gruppo con cui ho avuto il privilegio di lavorare in questi cinque anni. Una squadra composta da grandi campioni dentro e fuori dal campo, con cui ho stabilito fin da subito una splendida intesa, tanto da condividere con alcuni di loro bellissimi ricordi. Intendo ringraziare a nome mio e della mia famiglia il Presidente, il Mister e i miei compagni, i dirigenti e la società tutta ai quali auguro ogni bene, i tanti amici che ho avuto la fortuna di incontrare nei miei anni “italiani” e soprattutto i numerosissimi tifosi di Milan e Roma che mi hanno sempre sostenuto e incoraggiato.

Dear fans,
Tomorrow's game will be my last one with the Milan shirt. Five years have passed since the day I became part of the big red and black family and 11 years since I have come to Italy.
It has been days that I will never forget, rich of undescriptable emotions for me and my family, and of great professional satisfactions that, like it happens in sports and in life, sometimes are alternated with not so happy moments. I could mention a long series of moments that will remain forever in my memory: from the first success with Sao Paulo and Palmeiras, to the extraordinary scudetto win with Roma, to the moment in which, as Captain of the Seleçao, I have raised the World Cup in Japan 2002, and to the trophies with our colours: the 2004 scudetto and the Champions League of last year.
I also can't forget the least fortunate experiences, that are also part of me, like the unexplainable night of Istanbul. All of those goals in which you arrive fighting all the way, with a smile in your face and with a good dose of humility, hard work and sacrifice. This last, are actually the characteristics that represent not only me, but also the entire group with whom I have had the priviledge to work for five years. A team composed of great champions in and outside the field, with whom I have had an incredible harmony.

I want to thank in my name and my family's name, Berlusconi, Ancelotti and my teamates, the rest of the management to whom I wish every good, all the friends I have had the fortune to find in my "italian" years and above all, all the Milan and Roma fans that have always cheered and supported me.

Deunamist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
MILAN-UDINESE: OFFICIAL FORMATIONS
5/18/2008

MILAN: Kalac; Oddo, Bonera, Kaladze, Favalli; Brocchi, Pirlo, Ambrosini; Kakà, Seedorf; Inzaghi.
UDINESE: Handanovic; Zapotocny, Cosa, Zapata; Mesto, Pinzi, Inler, Dossena; Pepe, Quagliarella, Di Natale.

vasilli07

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
is it buffering alot?

Mine is...very hard to watch with all the stop play stop play...

vasilli07

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
we are trailing :(

i don't really mind now...coz even if we win, fiorentina may also win, making it pointless...

If i didn't remember wrongly, despite our proud european history, we still have not won the uefa cup...next season, we can win it...:D

Deunamist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
that's real **** from the defence. we aren't playing too badly, but Zapata is ruining all our attacks. why didn't we buy him last term??? :(

i also get lots of buffering. i went to sign up at www.bet365.com the stream there is very very sharp!

Deunamist

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
instead of going to watch Roma or Inter, Donadoni has been spotted in the San Siro (where he really belongs lol)

vasilli07

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i am going to watch inter 2nd half...heard they struggling to create chances...will they be one of the biggest choker in serie a? :o:D

vasilli07

Great Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Inter getting desperate...less than 5 mins into 2nd half, bring on ibrahimovic liao...

Overture1928

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How many shots on target Kaka had so far eh ?
I think he had plenty of opportunities but it isn't going past the keeper

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.