Viewing Distance Discussion Thread

endokid

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I still using CRT tv now, and have been trying to catch up with the lcd/plasma tv happenings..
Is there a rule of thumb or formula to determine the ideal size for my living room?

From my sofa to the wall where the tv will be mounted, the distance is 8-9 feet. My dad says 32 inch looks alright but i think 37/42 will be a more ideal size..

Also, do glossy screens pose lots of glare problem?

Thank you for reading..

i used to have 32" for 3m (9ft) viewing distance. too small for my liking.

petetherock

Reaction score
I use a 50" 768p plasma for DVD and Hi Def viewing at 2.3m

Hi guys,

I still using CRT tv now, and have been trying to catch up with the lcd/plasma tv happenings..
Is there a rule of thumb or formula to determine the ideal size for my living room?

From my sofa to the wall where the tv will be mounted, the distance is 8-9 feet. My dad says 32 inch looks alright but i think 37/42 will be a more ideal size..

Also, do glossy screens pose lots of glare problem?

Thank you for reading..

Kristy_Tan

Master Member
Reaction score
Digital Times pages 14 and 15 compares HD-ready with full HD

i dont fully agree with their views. must buy 46 inch then can see the difference... :eek:

petetherock

Reaction score
You all now realised that....

This is a good sign, all my efforts to spread the message are getting some results...

Write in to them and tell them!

crewcutboy

Reaction score
I'm thinking of getting the Pioneer 428, but feeling a little hesitant because at a resolution of 1024x768, it's not even considered a HD-ready display. I know that there's more to a good picture than just pixels, and the Pioneer Kuro range is known for deep blacks and vibrant colours. But surely the number of pixels has to count for something, especially when the Pioneer plasmas cost so much more?

Reaction score
You all now realised that....

This is a good sign, all my efforts to spread the message are getting some results...

Write in to them and tell them!

hi pete, not sure what your views ar. as in, you agree with DL that only about 46inch and above that can tell difference, or you agree with Kristy Tan (who disagree with DL's view above)?

I read through some of your links in the "stickies" section, got quite good (but very technical and cheem) write ups on HD ready v Full HD - those views tend to agree with the DL view - that generally, only at very big size, then can see difference.

Some more, if the SOURCE is not full HD, then full HD also no sure right, no matter how big?

petetherock

Reaction score
See the thread on viewing distance for more info.

Simple points to note:

1 - there is more than simple specs

2 - number of pixels doesn't tell you everything

3 - the correct viewing distance is important, be it 40" or 46"

4 - I spent quite a bit more than the rest when I paid for my Pioneer 507 but it has been worth it, Full HD or HD ready, the most important is to SEE with your Own Eyes.

Obviously if you can afford it, the Full HD Pioneer is even better. But a Full HD LCD is not defintely better than a 768p Pioneer. Your EYES will be the judge.

I had both, and all the visitors to my home, choose the Pioneer.

** I don't work for Pioneer **

Read up on the Pioneer thread for more info

Quest

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
which is a better choice? Pioneer 428 or panny PV80?

Eightfold

Reaction score
Second that. Viewing distance is actually 6ft.

Currently 32'' HD-ready LCD, wanna upgrade to 40'' Full-HD..

any comments.. i shud get 32'' or 40''.. scare 40'' i play game all this kena giddy spells; too near big screen.

whongtk

Reaction score
Second that. Viewing distance is actually 6ft.

Currently 32'' HD-ready LCD, wanna upgrade to 40'' Full-HD..

any comments.. i shud get 32'' or 40''.. scare 40'' i play game all this kena giddy spells; too near big screen.

I have also upgraded to FHD 42" LCD in the living room - the old 32" in the bedroom now. Viewing distance of the FHD - 1.8m (to sofa) - 2.5m (to dining table)

I am using SH HD set top on the 42" - SD prog do look pixelated (level of pixelation depends on the source) - the HD prog is beautiful :yawn: - inching to get a blu-ray player :)

petetherock

Reaction score
I think it is a timely reminder for members to read this thread as the PC show approaches.

Full HD is far bigger a hype than it should be. Check the size of your room and how far awa do you sit. If you are seated beyond the correct distance, you are simply wasting your $$.

For example, the average size TV in our forum is 32" to 40". Sitting across a HDB room of about 3m across will make a full HD panel as the same resolution as a HD ready set.

xypher

Reaction score
Hi all,

the general opinion is that for 42', one is better of buying the HDready model rather than the Full HD model.

For a 3 meter distance, does 42' HD-ready suffice? Cos anything bigger than 42', the prices are so expensive..

lwm999

Reaction score
Hi all,

the general opinion is that for 42', one is better of buying the HDready model rather than the Full HD model.

For a 3 meter distance, does 42' HD-ready suffice? Cos anything bigger than 42', the prices are so expensive..
3 metre distance is too far for 42" to enjoy HD. Get a 50" if possible. Panasonic should have some decently priced 50" plasma. Or you may find a hugely discounted Pioneer 507.

petetherock

Reaction score
theStraitsTimes2.gif

Print Article​

http://www.straitstimes.com/ST+Forum/Story/STIStory_246538.htmlJune 11, 2008

Judging HDTV: Viewing distance crucial

I REFER to the article, 'Finally, the truth about high-definition' (June 3).
The article claims that when one buys a new television under 46 inches, one cannot discern the difference between full high definition (HD) and HD-ready resolutions. While I laud the writers' efforts to dispel a lot of marketing hype on new full-HD TVs, especially in smaller sizes, they miss a crucial point: viewing distance.
As a rule of thumb for optimum TV viewing distance, the nearest seating position should be limited to about twice the screen width (more precisely, 1.54 times the screen width), and the furthest distance should be no more than five times the screen width. Furthermore, the eyes should be level with the middle of the screen when one is seated in a normal viewing position.
In addition, the content shown, whether standard definition such as from free-to-air channels or HD from a Blu Ray disc, also matters.
The new buyer of any technology is strongly advised to do a little homework, perhaps visit local forums online such as www.xtremeplace.com, or www.hardwarezone.com.sg for forums discussing buying a new TV. In this way, the buyer can sieve out marketing hype perpetuated by retailers and get the right TV at a good price to meet his needs. Ever since the Government proclaimed a rollout of HD in Singapore, dissemination of information by the authorities has been slow and piecemeal, if it exists at all. For the transition to full HD not to stall and die a premature death, the dissemination of information to the man in the street is so important. This should be followed by more comprehensive programming that is readily available free to air for everyone to enjoy. We exalt ourselves as a tech-savvy nation, and we should demonstrate this in an everyday matter such as TV.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.