[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
I forgot to add... you can even open your Windows' harddisk directly in OS X without running Parallels and use them.

How cool is that?

Still think you need a seperate partition? I hope not.

Adilogy

Reaction score
Hmm... your iTunes.app is confirmed up-the-lorry. Here's how to reinstal it.

1. Download a fresh copy. http://www.apple.com/itunes/download/
2. Download and run Onyx's Automation. Follow the instrutions as outlined here, under "Prep the Mac with Onyx".
3. Install iTunes immediately after you booted up in Safe Mode.

Sad to say, after following the above instructions, i still failed to reinstall my itunes proper.

Even when i delete all the itunes folders in library..etc. I still cannot do a full clean reinstallation.

Any guide for me to follow step by step of doing this again? Thanks..... :s22:

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hmm... if you can't install an app using Safe Mode, your Mac is pretty screwed. My best advise is to "reformat" and install everything from scratch.

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
juz wanna ask if i install windowxp on my mac using boot camp do i run a risk of getting like bug/virus/watever that is targeting window? if so then does it mean to have a antivirus/internet sercurity installed together with it to be safe?

so long u r running MS OS , best is to install anti virus :D:s13:

flapdoodle

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Learn me an alternative Finder application for Tiger, single window file manager that allows me to view multiple (at least 2) directories/drives concurrently? Thanks. :)

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hey people. I was wondering it is possible to extend my Macbook pro screen on a normal LCD screen?

Of course it's possible. That otherwise decorative vent is actually a DVI port wor.

And you're right, monitor extension works so long as you don't do it with a psycho LCD screen.

ItWasntMe

Master Member
Reaction score
any powerbook users here? wanna ask if there's any recommendations for external harddisk drive? or is it any ext hdd with firewire? i've experienced quite a lot of of ext hdd that doesnt work with my powerbook.

fireeice

Reaction score
I'd like to ask a question. Is it possible to buy a Macbook but request to switch the graphic card to that of the Macbook Pro's? Does Apple allow customers to do this?

This is because I don't want to buy such a large computer but I need to use software such as Final Cut Pro, which the ordinary Macbook might not be able to support. But on the other hand I would prefer a smaller sized laptop rather than a larger one.

yond2050

Reaction score
Hi there, i m new to this mac world and haf been reading apple clinic for the past few wks.
Decided to get myself a imac this coming july(BONUS!!).haha.
so there are a few qn i wanna ask b4 i get my new imac

1. bout the wireless, m i correct to sae that i haf a singnet wireless modem, i m clear to use the imac wireless by juz detecting it in my network n juz enter password, is that simple?or do i need to do other setting?

2. bout transfering files using the wireless, i read that the mac can detect the my pc in the finder, and can send file through it, is tt really so?or i haf to create a network 1st b4 doing anithing like this?

3. bout a external hdd, can my 160 wd passport which had been in use wif windows, able to use in mac?all my music files and video be able to plae in mac?

4. last qn, bout time machine, wad type of hdd do i need, and how much is the time machine thing occupy my hdd?

thankz in advance for the pro and expert here to reply my post. m glad to learn more things from all of u!

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I'd like to ask a question. Is it possible to buy a Macbook but request to switch the graphic card to that of the Macbook Pro's? Does Apple allow customers to do this?

This is because I don't want to buy such a large computer but I need to use software such as Final Cut Pro, which the ordinary Macbook might not be able to support. But on the other hand I would prefer a smaller sized laptop rather than a larger one.

100% Not possible.

Errz

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) Enable the Airport (aka wireless) on ur imac, it will scan and u can select which wireless to connect to. if its secure, it will ask for the password

2) So long u have share out the folder (sharing permission set correctly) in ur windoz, u will be able to transfer file to it

4)bigger better :s13:

Hi there, i m new to this mac world and haf been reading apple clinic for the past few wks.

1. bout the wireless, m i correct to sae that i haf a singnet wireless modem, i m clear to use the imac wireless by juz detecting it in my network n juz enter password, is that simple?or do i need to do other setting?

2. bout transfering files using the wireless, i read that the mac can detect the my pc in the finder, and can send file through it, is tt really so?or i haf to create a network 1st b4 doing anithing like this?

3. bout a external hdd, can my 160 wd passport which had been in use wif windows, able to use in mac?all my music files and video be able to plae in mac?

4. last qn, bout time machine, wad type of hdd do i need, and how much is the time machine thing occupy my hdd?

thankz in advance for the pro and expert here to reply my post. m glad to learn more things from all of u!

yond2050

Reaction score
thankz a lot for the repli!haha, but ani1 can tell mi answer for my qn3?cuz i m buying a new hdd soon from the pc show!thankz!

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
3rd question: it really depends on the format tat ur hdd is using. if u are using FAT32, u can simply transfer the files to and fro from ur windows pc no worries. if its ntfs, u can transfer files from the hd to ur mac but not the other wae round. all ur music files and videos can be played on mac , just use itunes and vlc player.

leinad

High Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Just format the drive in FAT32 and you won't have problems reading and writing to it. Do read the FAQ - this issue is addressed there.

/Dan

ItWasntMe

Master Member
Reaction score
any powerbook users here? wanna ask if there's any recommendations for external harddisk drive? or is it any ext hdd with firewire? i've experienced quite a lot of of ext hdd that doesnt work with my powerbook.

anyone?

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score

1. Yah, basicaly simple as that. If not, just ask when the time comes.
2. Ditto.
3. See prev reply.
4. Any harddisk will do; nonit special ones. The app is 380KB; no idea size of support files.

Mai tu leow; go borrow money and buy now!

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.