[Mac 101] Ask your questions here!

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
haha oh yeah hor, vodka is good

rubbing alcohol, bro oyebto, wats that ? sorry me mountain tortoise la
by right its for cleaning wounds.. but just go to the shop and tell them rubbing alcohol they will noe haha. or like blackmel sae, alcohol swabs works just as well.

blackslayer

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
1) How do I access and copy files to my Sony PSP?
2) Recommended anti virus for Mac even though it is already very secure
3) How do I access FAT32 or NTFS formatted portable hard disk?
4) What firewall recommended for Mac? Does it come with built in firewall software?
5) How do I install programs for Mac?
6) How do I sync Windows Pocket PC phone on Mac? How do I sync Microsoft Outlook contacts on Mac?
7) What video files are supported by iMovie?
8) What anti spyware or adware software is recommended?
9) Can Safari on iMac access Java or Flash website? What flash software it use? Can we access interbanking website using Safari or other Mac compatible software?
10) Any website to download freeware or software for Mac?
11) Where do I download drivers for my existing hardware?
12) Can iMac sync with PS3 built in media server streaming software?
http://guides.macrumors.com/ :o:o

austinmation

Reaction score
Nevermind, I think that is a lesser issue.. More bigger problem is no matter how many times i tried, i cannot get to back up my existing drive using super duper.. It works through halfway and prompt different error.. I is deads..

Hi folks, for days i've been trying to back up & migrate my hdd from my first gen macbook(A) to another mac book(B). Unfortunately I couldn't. I need to plot it over as tiger through another new hdd inserted in macbook B, but it couldn't accept the os disc, only leopard.

I've super dupered macbook A into an external hdd, but macbook B reads every settings as 0kb.
I've tried to use migration wizard, it only detect my boot camp windows partition.

Tiger does not allow its migration wizard to "transfer to another mac" like leopards'.

I do not own a legal copy of leopard, the only 1 i have is loan from this macbook B, hence I have to stick with tiger until later.

Please kindly advise other alternatives I can do in order to transfer my files.

Millions of thanks!

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, for days i've been trying to back up & migrate my hdd from my first gen macbook(A) to another mac book(B). Unfortunately I couldn't. I need to plot it over as tiger through another new hdd inserted in macbook B, but it couldn't accept the os disc, only leopard.

I've super dupered macbook A into an external hdd, but macbook B reads every settings as 0kb.
I've tried to use migration wizard, it only detect my boot camp windows partition.

Tiger does not allow its migration wizard to "transfer to another mac" like leopards'.

I do not own a legal copy of leopard, the only 1 i have is loan from this macbook B, hence I have to stick with tiger until later.

Please kindly advise other alternatives I can do in order to transfer my files.

Millions of thanks!

I couldn't understood you hard as I trying. I really caught no ball.

Since you got data of (a) in an external hardisk, maybe you could just use (b) aand remembering you need sumthing in (a), just copying it over. Why plot everything over when most are in (b) already, wrong?

austinmation

Reaction score
I couldn't understood you hard as I trying. I really caught no ball.

Since you got data of (a) in an external hardisk, maybe you could just use (b) aand remembering you need sumthing in (a), just copying it over. Why plot everything over when most are in (b) already, wrong?

Hi Sir,

apologies for the confusion and thank you for the patience in helping.

My intention is to have my applications, data, password, user settings and emails from A to B. Most of my apps are already configured in its Tiger OS. My intent was as straight up as to pluck and play the Tiger into this Leopard-Only-Macbook B. The quickest, safest way that I know was to use migration wizard and transfer the data, key chain, address book, software preference etc over without much distruption.

The migration wizard could not detect A's Tiger partition, but only A's bootcamp partition. After calling apple support afew times, for hours of Indian-English with Singapore-English conversation, I was given a "File Transfer" solution from A to B, instead of "how to let Migration Wizrd detect the Tiger OS drive", hence I give up Apple Support..

I managed to duplicate A's hdd through super duper, I can still access my data through it which I am doing, and has also at the same time accidentally messed up some "built-for-leopard" settings when I overwrite it. So I am having a bad hectic time now.

I learnt and concluded from this scenario that,
Always expect the unexpected.
External harddisk casing will break down when you most needed it, and harddisk will corrupt when you never want it to. Always own 2 external disk casing at least, with 1 that is 2.5" firewire with SATA, not IDE!!

Apple Service Provider do not help you regarding OSX issues, they will refer you to Apple Support.
Before calling Apple Support, get a tape recorder to play a list of things they instructed you to do, for the next few Apple Support crew you got referred to.
Apple Support don't always have a solution and they can leave you hanging high and dry.
Overseas Calls to Apple Support has bad signal.
I have poor hearing and I do not speak English that is comprehenable to Apple Support.
Written communication to apple support is better, but there is no email address online to send it out.

Macbook 1.1 will not run on Macbook 4.1 start up disk and vise versa.

Have a copy of Tech Tool Deluxe from Apple Support, even though I don't know how it works.

Always buy Applecare if you do not intend to resale.

Always have rich friends who have a spare Apple notebook to loan (ideally one with a same gen notebook).

Always be nice and respect everyone, especially in HWZ.. huhu.. :D

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi Sir,

apologies for the confusion and thank you for the patience in helping.

My intention is to have my applications, data, password, user settings and emails from A to B. Most of my apps are already configured in its Tiger OS. My intent was as straight up as to pluck and play the Tiger into this Leopard-Only-Macbook B. The quickest, safest way that I know was to use migration wizard and transfer the data, key chain, address book, software preference etc over without much distruption.

The migration wizard could not detect A's Tiger partition, but only ...

OK, I think I catch your ball this time.

You misunderstood what Migration Wizard is designed for. It's for migrating from Winblows to Mac. It doesn't migrate Mac (Tiger) to Mac (Leopard) -- that's not a migration but an UPGRADE. Now you understand why the Migration Wizard only detected your Windows' partition? Heehee.

Anyhoo... to UPGRADE from Tiger to Leopard, you will restore from the external harddisk (which has your MacBook (a)'s setup & content) using SuperDuper to your MacBook (b). After that, your MacBook (b) will be exactly like your MacBook (a). Now (go buy Leopard DVD) insert it and run the installer. You will be given the option to UPGRADE to Leopard. There's NO WAY you can retain your old setup if you don't own a Leopard DVD.

Anyhoo hoo, we here don't recommend doing an OS upgrade. We always ask pple to do a "Clean Install" of Leopard. Upgrading almost always causes strange problems later on.

So... if you want to use Leopard, just copy your old data over from your external harddisk. Everybody I know do that.

austinmation

Reaction score
Hi Sir,
correction: I meant Apple's Migration Assistant, which requires user to use firewire 400 cable to do it.

I've used it all along for my powermac->powerbook->macbook in Tiger..
Only this time round, Leopard does not read my Tiger partition.

I have a leopard DVD, sadly it was horridly scratched by the superdrive from the Macbook(a), it also kind of scratch my fren's disc (oops!). And using remote disc from the leopard won't work as mine is not a macbook Air.

I think you're right about manual copying. A good time to do data chores and clean up stuffs. huhu..

eD|t|0n

Master Member
Reaction score
Help please:

As I will be taking over a older imac, i was told that i no need to reformat as my name can be set as the main adminstrator then i can hv all the rights and delete rest of the past accounts.

If I do that, all data in the past accounts will be deleted as well? Or it is better to reformat?

As it is rather a old imac, where can i check how much RAM can it support? because i feel like buying more RAM to upgrade this old imac.

Anyway i'm a new mac users by the standards of question i ask...

yeah82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i wonder if u guys have this problem, in all the chinese sites i have visited so far, i find out that the display quality is not as good as what i see in windows, the words are quite blur and not sharp enough, do u have this problem?? any ways to improve the wording display??

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
i wonder if u guys have this problem, in all the chinese sites i have visited so far, i find out that the display quality is not as good as what i see in windows, the words are quite blur and not sharp enough, do u have this problem?? any ways to improve the wording display??

Show us a screenie.

unfinished07

Master Member
Reaction score
1) How do I access and copy files to my Sony PSP?
2) Recommended anti virus for Mac even though it is already very secure
3) How do I access FAT32 or NTFS formatted portable hard disk?
4) What firewall recommended for Mac? Does it come with built in firewall software?
5) How do I install programs for Mac?
6) How do I sync Windows Pocket PC phone on Mac? How do I sync Microsoft Outlook contacts on Mac?
7) What video files are supported by iMovie?
8) What anti spyware or adware software is recommended?
9) Can Safari on iMac access Java or Flash website? What flash software it use? Can we access interbanking website using Safari or other Mac compatible software?
10) Any website to download freeware or software for Mac?
11) Where do I download drivers for my existing hardware?
12) Can iMac sync with PS3 built in media server streaming software?

wah lau, WOQ

one ans for all your questions. stick with winblows

yeah82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Show us a screenie.

15kfpz.png

vosym9.png

oyebto

Master Member
Reaction score
Help please:

As I will be taking over a older imac, i was told that i no need to reformat as my name can be set as the main adminstrator then i can hv all the rights and delete rest of the past accounts.

If I do that, all data in the past accounts will be deleted as well? Or it is better to reformat?

As it is rather a old imac, where can i check how much RAM can it support? because i feel like buying more RAM to upgrade this old imac.

Anyway i'm a new mac users by the standards of question i ask...
reformat always better. click on left for about this mac.

RupertGee

Master Member
Reaction score
yeah82

5a99e60e.png

Safari->Preferences->Appearance->Standard font: Change from "Times 16" to "Arial 16"

After that, it's just like in Firefox 3.

yeah82

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thanks mann, that pic really shows a sharp image with clear wordings..

yond2050

Reaction score
Nope, I'm using leopard 10.5 and just printed somethings off the Mp145. It works. I recalled I downloaded the drivers from canon's website. Did not use the CD-ROM at all. :)

Hope this helps!

hey can u paste mi the link to the driver?can't find it aniwhere.omg

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.