HWC Guidelines (Updated as of 22 Jan 2010). Irrelevant threads will be moved/deleted.

Krado

Banned
Reaction score
1) Computer problem questions

(please look at point #3 first before reading on)

-Do consult your manuals first, as there are already some common problems which have solutions already printed in the manuals- ( tux's contribution )

Please do give your full system configurations when posting a problem thread. Also include any special hardware that is connected to your system.Do include your operating system as well as any patches that are applied.

Also, provide a detailled background of the problem, such as the time scope of the errors and any unusual system behaviour which occurs before the problem occurs. If you could provide us with a screen shot, would be nice too.

More details given would benefit you and those who are helping.

Checklist for hardware problems questions:
1- your full system configuration
2- operating system
3- details of the problem
4- anything you might have done to your system that lead to the problem

Software problems, please post in the correct forum. The Software Clinic

2) Buying a new system/components questions

(please look at point #3 first before reading on)

Please give a BUDGET, and also any specific personal preferences you may have. If you want some comments on your intended setup, prepare for some good and bad ones because not everyone views the same thing in the same manner. And always be open to any advise given.

Do avoid simplistic lines like "I want the best system. Can you guys help me configure one? " Chances are, you will never find the answer :pissed:

Checklist for buying new system threads:
1- Prepare a budget
2- State any preferences
3- Be open to comments if you're asking for them.

3) Search facility ( babykailan's contribution )

Use the SEARCH FACILITY whenever possible. There is a huge vault of information in hardwarezone.com. Have you searched the forums yet?

gather the data, form your own logical conclusions.
unless you are really confused from the info overload, and the search facility is disabled, post.

4) Multiple queries ( addict951's contribution )

If facing multiple problems/raising queries and wishing to seek solutions/advice, please post ALL queries on one single thread only. Do not spread your problems all over by starting multiple threads in both hw and sw clinics.

5) Price enquiries ( another addict 951 contribution )

If you are asking about prices of components/bundles, please note that hwz has a Price Guides section, and this is where you will find the pricelists of some of the more popular shops in SLS

6) Before you answer questions in HW Clinic ( DOATEC's contribution )

Please make sure you know what you're trying to post. Have a good knowledge base of the particular problem, before you even think of posting.

Enjoy your stay at hardware clinic :cool:

Last edited:

Mystyque

Greater Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Posting Etiquette, please read before posting.

After looking at the few threads today as well as last week's event involving MT, I think better put some tips on posting here. If anybody violently disagrees or have other points to add, let me know hor via PM hor.

1) Use meaningful Subjects
Subjects like "help!!!!" doesn't really tell anybody much and many people will just ignore you. Personally, unless I see something in the topic that interests me, I will usually skip it :D

As examples, for help related to particular product, the thread title should state the product name that the thread is about eg. "NF7-S cannot post", "Abit FX5900 OTES Gap issue" etc.

2) Avoid using the forum as a Paging System
Some members have done things like Paging for XYZ, who has ABC's number etc. Please try not to do this unless it is really really important.

3) Avoid starting threads arrowing a particular person

I know some people are famous for being good at certain stuff, like Sen for HDD, and MichaelTan for Abit products. But it is quite rude IMO to start a thread asking specifically for a person to answer you.

#1, that person is not your servant,

#2 you might annoyed others who have the answer. But because you asked for ABC, the rest just ignore you.

In the same way, please do NOT start threads yelling for a distro to answer you. Folks working at distros like MichaelTan, Corbell, Alevtav and Albatron01 (to name a few I see) are again not our slaves. I think they deserve some respect and courtesy for even bothering to stick around in the forums instead of having people harassing them even on Sundays. Last week was MichaelTan, this week was AlevTav, I hope next week not Corbell or something.

If you really need to reach the person via the forum, please use the PM.

4) Avoid treating the forum as first line of distributor support

Similar to 3), HWZ is not the support forum of any distro, regardless of their presence here lah. Got any problem with MM cards, MSI boards, whatever, please email the distro and all. If they really bochup you for 4 weeks or something, then by all means post it in the Ratings Board.

5) Be nice lah

Like floppy's thread, if people take the effort to answer your question, especially if you ask through PM, be nice about it and say thanks. Even if the person did not manage to provide a complete answer, they did put in the effort to try... unless of course it's obvious they are just sprouting rubbish :laugh:

Ok, these are the few things that recent events on the forum has led me to come up with. Got anything to add relevant, please do. But I will delete any post that's not relevant ok?

Credits for Additional Refinements
Galvatron

Last edited:

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Welcome Members to the Hardware Clinic. The Hardware Clinic has been created to help those in need as well as share knowledge where appropriate. We wish all to have a fruitful experience. As such, there are some guidelines to be followed.

1. Do not spam
Spamming is not allowed here or in any other forums. Spam threads will be deleted and threadstarters will be dealt with severely.

2. Creating threads
Everyone can create threads but bear in mind, the topic should be hardware-related. Otherwise, the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum. Any feedback about a certain product, company or shop should be posted in the Ratings Board forum. Irrelevant threads will be moved/deleted without prior notice. Infractions (for repeat offenders) may be issued.

Off-topic threads will be more strictly moderated. Read here for details.

3. Posting replies
Posting a reply is quite normal in a thread. However, the reply must be in focus with the topic. Try not to go out of topic. It's fine to have an argument but make sure it's constructive and not just offensive. Also, make sure you have facts to back your argument. Vulgarities are not facts. Sometimes, arguments tend to get heated and eventually get out of hand. As such, warnings will be given to parties involved. Trolling is also frowned upon and likely to get the thread locked. But this will be up to the moderators' discretion.

4. Reporting bad posts
If you find a post particularly offensive, report it to the mods. The mods will look into the matter and take action, if necessary. Do not make the forum into a personal battlegrounds. If possible, resolve your differences calmly. Personal attacks will be dealt with severely.

5. Watch what you say
There are others watching the forums who are not members of HWZ. You are liable for anything that you say. We advise that you refrain from saying anything that may implicate you in any legal situation. Also, please try to use proper terms. Try to refrain from using terms like "sexpert" or "****" in titles. It's not recommended for a technical forum such as this, especially since HWZ and HWC has served an international audience. It would not be fair to them to use terms they cannot comprehend.

As long as you follow these basic guidelines, everyone's experience is likely to be an enjoyable. The mods will not be too strict but do not go overboard.

Last edited:

commach

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I would suggest members here refrain from using EDMW style of reply in HWC.

lobo76

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
What would be useful is a button to report bad posts. Nowadays, got those selling threads which is already bad, since there is garage. Wat is worse, is that they are selling shoes and stuff, not even hardware. o.0

toublesome to send pm, then have to refer to the thread. in the end, lazy to report. :p

ragnarok95

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
What would be useful is a button to report bad posts. Nowadays, got those selling threads which is already bad, since there is garage. Wat is worse, is that they are selling shoes and stuff, not even hardware. o.0

toublesome to send pm, then have to refer to the thread. in the end, lazy to report. :p

The mods will take care of these. Dun worry. :)

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score

There is. The triangular icon on the bottom left corner of each post.

Last edited:

lyfeforce

Senior Moderator
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
Intervention from mods will be on a "need-to" basis. We cannot affect the flow of the threads.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.