Wine

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ikileo, me now in aussie, any wines to recommend below the $50 range?? can i smuggle 1 bottle to bring back without paying taxes?? me in victoria state... any wines to recommend??? http://www.vintagecellars.com.au , this is the biggest wine store here...

you're allowed to bring back 1 bottle of wine to SG w/o tax. just put it in your luggage, it's fine.

you should top up another AU$10 and just get this: Penfolds Bin 389

http://www.vintagecellars.com.au/scripts/wc.dll?product&keyword=penfolds 389&part=51017

smallkuku

Reaction score
how much does these 2 retail in sg?? dun particulary fancy shiraz, its spicy right?? i think i found another place to get better wines.. its here http://www.winehouse.com.au ... les amis stocks some wines from green point and bass phillip as well .. maybe something below $100.. isit cheaper to buy here or in sg??

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
it is waaaaaaay cheaper to buy australian wine in Australia than in SG. in SG shops jack up the price even after currency conversion and tax addition.

shiraz spicy? hardly. it's a fruit a bomb, good shiraz has an awesome fruit component, usually of blackcurrant and cassis and depending on the style, it has a full body and lush feel in the mouth, supported by an oak or earthy structure.

while i would recommend you a Penfolds Grange wine, but those start at a few hundred AU up to 2K+AU, but it's obviously out of your league. Penfolds is the premium label in australia, rivalling those top french bordeaux. That was why i recommended Penfolds Bin 389 which is said to be a 'poor man's Grange' because of components of the bin 389 wine is matured in the same barrels that held the previous years Grange wine, and taste excellent as well.

As for the Bin 389, it's a Cabernet Sauvignon & Shiraz blend and is more than worth it at this price. I saw a Bin 389 in the Cold Storage premium section selling at a little over 100SGD.

Les Amis brings in very nice wine, but there is always a markup. The best is you purchase them at the country of origin.

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
but if u want something by bass phillip then you can try their Pinot Noir Estate 2004. It's under 100 AU.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well it does look good, i've not tasted it before. if you like dessert wine you could try that one. i've not had Tokay before...it would seem interesting since the description described it having a very long finish, which is always very nice.

smallkuku

Reaction score

Visual_Gravity

Reaction score
recommend you wine lovers this label

2006 Cascabel Monastrell
Variety: Mouvedre
Region: Mclaren Vale
RPJ : 93pts
Price : $40-50

tasting : Its a deep dark ruby nose, intense fruit, with mixed spice and a touch of smoke and cherry plum flavours.

Anyone of you tried it b4?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
perhaps can organise a simple wine appreciation/drinking session?

we'll see...maybe during december...now i am still studying for exams.

as for 2006 Cascabel Monastrell, where would you be able to find it?

Visual_Gravity

Reaction score
I bought it with vineyardsdirect.com.sg as they bring in quite good Aussie labels. I bought the cascabel due to some party that i was doing at my place so bought 1/2 dozen bottles, not bad as they delivered to my doorstep.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
so just some feedback, what other articles would you like to see on this thread?

or do u have some wine under $25 you would like me to try first?

eflash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Antinori, Chateau are quite good brands. De Bortoli is also not bad, and more economical.

eflash

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone tried Chateau Petrus before? Is the taste worth its price?

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
where can it be found?

are u talking about Château La Fleur-Pétrus? 'cos those are expensive. and there's regular Chateau Petrus.

jarvis

Master Member
Reaction score
http://www.melbournebottleshop.com.au
i think i go to this shop.. near where i stay..

thinking of buying one penfolds to share among my frds to go before i leave this place.. , maybe will lug the tokay back..

since u're in Australia, why don't you just get some friends, rent a car for a day, drive out to the vineyards and go tasting at the various cellar doors. renting a car plus fuel for a day should be less than AUD100 - if you split it amongst 4 friends, it's cheap and it's a fun way to spend a sat or a sunday.

there are many many good vineyards out there which are small and only sell at cellar doors. and you also get to taste before you buy. and generally, the bottles are quite nicely priced.

I went to the hunter valley area while I was there. Didn't do the Yarra or the mornington peninsular side so I don't know which of the vineyards there are worth going to. But they are normally quite close together in clusters, so just drive from one to the next and taste away.

and if you are just starting out, don't buy expensive wines yet because price increases exponentially when compared to quality. stick to something in the $20-50 range and find out what you like by experimenting with various grapes, area and vineyard. you can do that a lot more cost efficiently by trying the entry level wines.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Just a heads up:

This weekend at the Suntec Convention Centre there will be the Food Safari and there will also be wine. I will be there to see what wines they have in store. But I know for sure one of the distributors/importers of Spanish wines will be there, Solymer Asia. Do go around and explore and try out the different wines from different countries other than France and Australia. Expand your palate. Spain is the 3rd largest producer of wines in the world and do try their native grape 'Tempranillo', it's delicious. And also their Spanish 'champagne' called Cava.

There will also be other Spanish food there as well, they informed me they are also show casing Spanish cheese and Iberico Jamon (pronounced HA-MON). it's cured ham that's soooo delicious, but expensive.

On a side note, I'll be updating the wine blog today (address is on the first post) for a new entry I tried on Sunday.

Jo_Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ikileo, i'm looking for a red wine which has got fruity taste and also a bit of
sweet taste..what do u recommend ?

thks !

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.