Wine

patryn33

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
since u're in Australia, why don't you just get some friends, rent a car for a day, drive out to the vineyards and go tasting at the various cellar doors. renting a car plus fuel for a day should be less than AUD100 - if you split it amongst 4 friends, it's cheap and it's a fun way to spend a sat or a sunday.

there are many many good vineyards out there which are small and only sell at cellar doors. and you also get to taste before you buy. and generally, the bottles are quite nicely priced.

I went to the hunter valley area while I was there. Didn't do the Yarra or the mornington peninsular side so I don't know which of the vineyards there are worth going to. But they are normally quite close together in clusters, so just drive from one to the next and taste away.

and if you are just starting out, don't buy expensive wines yet because price increases exponentially when compared to quality. stick to something in the $20-50 range and find out what you like by experimenting with various grapes, area and vineyard. you can do that a lot more cost efficiently by trying the entry level wines.

don't many PR living in OZ like smallkuku have a car. can just drive their car to winery get wines, that is if the city he is in are close to vineyards.

its great living in countries like OZ that produce wine. envy those living near winery. the closest winery is like 4-6hrs away from me.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ikileo, i'm looking for a red wine which has got fruity taste and also a bit of
sweet taste..what do u recommend ?

thks !

i assume you're looking for something more 'new world' with some bold fruit on the palate. Then you can just try Shiraz from Australia. Look for wines from the Barossa Valley, those tend to be more of a 'fruit bomb' as they call it.

Jo_Lee

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i assume you're looking for something more 'new world' with some bold fruit on the palate. Then you can just try Shiraz from Australia. Look for wines from the Barossa Valley, those tend to be more of a 'fruit bomb' as they call it.

thank u guru !

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
not guru...just a fan of wine. we're all learning and expanding our wine palates together.

on another note, i'm curious if i were to organize a wine tasting sessios sometime in december (after my exams) how many of you would be interested?

Morugana

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after the pics at your blog. i feel like having some wine as well :o

Condor

Master Member
Reaction score
not guru...just a fan of wine. we're all learning and expanding our wine palates together.

on another note, i'm curious if i were to organize a wine tasting sessios sometime in december (after my exams) how many of you would be interested?

i'd be. don't really know much about wine but do enjoy drinking and chit chat.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sweet...thanks for the notification. btw I updated my blog for last week's entry, will be drinking another later this weekend (tomorrow to post another one quickly!) the blog link is on the first page.

I also went to the Food Safari at Suntec City and my friends and I did walk through the entire thing and sampled some of the nice food. But as for the drinks and wine, I visited every wine booth and for most of them I wasn't very satisfied; here's a quick summary and my thoughts of the various wine booths.

California Wine Institute: Sampled 2 Californian Chardonnays, Stone Cellars & Cycles Gladiator. In the US both are considered entry level wines with the Stone Cellars one of a cheaper price. Over there at Suntec it retailed at a promotional price of $21 & $30 respectively. Cycles Gladiator was 'better' in my opinion but still did not warrant a $30 price tag; it had more body and complexity than the stone cellars one which had a very short finish and very simple, but it was suited at the $21 price point.

They had other californian wines for sale as well but most of them weren't for sampling. It was alright I guess with most of their wines in the entry level range but they did have some $80 wines.

Delphi: It brought in the Calvet line of wine that is available in supermarkets now, but of course they were selling it at a promotional price. I was with my French friend who is on exchange here in Singapore and she was laughing at one of the party sparking wine that they were selling. It was 3.5% alcohol and more for a fun and young people to drink, they came in flavours of apple, lime and others. It retailed for $12 and she said in France you can get the same thing for 1 Euros. I sampled the Calvet Bordeaux which cost $21 which was terrible, it was really over-oaked...too much oak, or as they say an 'Oak Monster'.

La Rouge: Another booth that showed only French wines at the Food Safari but their stores in Raffles Place, Market Street, Tanjong Pagar and Shenton Way bring in an international line of wine. It had various offers such as 3 wines for $90 for wine that cost $30 each which doesn't make sense: why say it's a promotion when all you're doing is $30 X 3 bottles = $90 anyway. I think they had a wine cooler as a free gift or something. You could sample all their wines but I tried 2 of their $30 wines: An E.Guigal Cotes du Rhone blend and a wine from Medoc of which I forgot the name. The Cotes du Rhone was definitely much better with notes of candied cherry, black pepper, spice among several others. Good complexity and worth the $30. The Medoc however was a disappointment, its flavors were there but the finish was very short which ruined the experience, felt like a under $25 wine.

Palitalia: Now this was interesting. This booth only brings in Italian wine and the owner was someone who said he has been in this business for almost 40 years. His store was primarily run by him and what seemed to be his wife with at least 4-5 teenagers helping out. Whether they were his sons or not I do not know but he really was the classic middle aged Singaporean salesman from the way he spoke. It's not a bad thing, he is a good salesman just a little stereotypical, confident but mildy overcompensating but we did have a decent wine talk as I could hold my own and he did realise I was not an uninformed consumer. The place sells all forms of Italian wines and they have a showroom in Hotel Windsor that opens from 11-2pm as they are importers and distributors rather than retailers, but they also allow regular consumers to enter and purchase stuff. Up for sampling was a $60 Chianti and Prosecco (price can't remember). They had an ongoing promotion that if you spend >$200 you will get 20% off and they kept informing us of the 'promotional price' of each wine which was a little sneaky if it wasn't already terribly obvious. In my opinion, $60 or even $48 after 20% for that Chianti is overpriced. It is not because it was bad, it was quite good and decent but it just wasn't $60-good or $48-good. But they have a very good range.

Solymer Asia: I came to the Food Safari primarily for this company. I had corresponded with them over email because I was interested in their products. They are importers and distributors of spanish food products and wine. I had fallen in love with Spanish food/wine while travelling Barcelona earlier this year. I have found many wines from Spanish that provide great bang for the buck. They had Iberico Jamon (ha-mon), or black pig cured meat which is ridiculously expensive even back in Spain due to its rarity and delicious taste. They had small samples and a whole leg there that they carve the meat from. They also had a showcase and free samples of Spanish cheeses of various types (sheep, cow, goat) and duration of aging. My French friend and I really enjoyed the goat cheese very much: musty but not over powering and some earthy spiciness just before you swallow; very nice and would go great with wine. It does cost $9 for 200g though, pricey. They also had various tapas on sale such as Paella (pah-eh-ya) and of course thinly sliced Iberico ham at a hefty $12 for 40g, i didn't buy it but it is worth it. the taste is amazing and I ate alot of it while in spain.

but importantly the wine. They do not have samples but instead of small caps of wine for tasting, you can pay for tasting an actual glass of wine from prices of $3, $6 and $9 for a glass. There was only one I wanted to try from their catalog that they sent me 2 days ago: La Orbe from the region of Rioja. This glass cost me $9 but it was worth the money. 100% Tempranillo grapes, native to Spain, this is a full bodied, complex and very well balanced wine. It had so much going on on its palate, dark fruit, pepper, cinnamon, spice and others i forgot. I love tempranillo wine, they make excellent wines and if you haven't tried one before, head out and buy one. I ended up buying the bottle which costs $40 because, to me, this tastes like a $40 to $50 wine. Very very solid. The people there were great as well and I talked at length with the lady I corresponded with online about Spanish wines and Spain itself. Thumbs up!

I hope this very lengthy post will add a bit more information regarding wine in the Food Safari which is still open until this weekend ( i think). It's free entrance as well.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
ok, now i would like any one of you to recommend/suggest me a bottle of wine that can be bought in a store (preferrably supermarket) that costs below $25 for me to review this week. Just tell me the name, vintage and purchase location. Just suggest one and I will do a review for it on my weekly wine blog

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
updated the wine blog (link on 1st post) with 2 reviews this week, because this weekend and next week there will be no reviews because it's my exam period. A Chilean Cabernet Sauvignon & a Bordeaux.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
oh and Isetan supermarket is bringing in new wines from Boujolais (bou-jer-lay). They're promoting it from the 20th Nov to the 4th or 6th Dec at the wine section in Isetan supermarket.

it starts from $24+ to about $30, and i'll probably be reviewing those on the 1st dec. Boujolais wines are typically made from Gamay grapes and the wines are typically fruity and light bodied, making them a 'fun' wine to drink and easy for newbies.

Cashcow

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I not a wine drinker. Only like Cognac like Martell.

Know what is Cognac? It is actually distillation of wine, have to undergo strict procedures in order to call themselves cognac.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
yes i am aware of that, thank you for bringing this to light. however, this thread is still stictly a wine thread, not cognac. if you want, you could start on a cognac thread in the forum.

Cashcow

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Dun mind to hijack your thread. Too bad not many ppl interested in cognac. I start thread oso not many ppl bother to reply one. :(

chillicrab73

Reaction score
Well I guess people feels that cognac is a drink for uncles and ah bengs. But I do enjoy drinking cognac, either neat or dilute slightly with water. I like its nice after-taste, no hangover the next day.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
after a long delay i've finally updated the blog with an italian wine. i am still backlogged by one more entry, will be coming up real soon. again, the blog address can be found on the 1st post.

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i could do that...is it under $25?

ok i just checked the coldstorage website...it's under $25. i can add that in this evening along with my portugal red review.

Last edited:

magic84

Reaction score
i tried this, Jacob's Creek Semillion Chardonnay vintage 2007 for around $25 from NTUC

The smell is crisp but light with hint of melon and peaches.. at 1st i thought quite a good start.. but after drinking, the taste is rather dull and oyster + woody taste and it is quite gassy.. what's your view ?

i like chardonnay as its ez to drink and german riseling for its sweetness, at least its not as sweet as muscato or ice wine.. however its hard to find nice cheap riseling at supermarket. Do u have any to recommend ?

Last edited:

ikileo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i haven't had that specific jacob's creek one yet, but I have been generally wary of the recent vintages of the commercially available JC because they haven't been living up to the mark. there are probably many other better australian sem/chard blends available at similar price points. A good australian sem/chard I had, but that was more than $25, had a nice mouthfeel, very floral on the nose and it had citrus components with a beautiful load of honey/honeysuckle...so that's what i'm generally looking for in a sem/chard blend: a taste that doesn't fall flat and that's very 'full'. I may try the JC Sem Chard soon anyway after the Matthew Lang Cab/Shiraz that another user requested.

so far I've only found one riesling that's below $25, that was in NTUC and the brand was Black Tower (i did a review for that on the blog), but it was not my style of rieslings. If u like a sweeter type of riesling with tropical fruit and pineapple then that one is probably for you. I prefer mine dry, steely with heaps of minerals and great acidity.

but if you're willing to top up another 10 bucks more, i know coldstorage/marketplace/jasons have several australian rieslings that you can get for around $35. I forget the names of them.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.