CFA vs Masters in Finance

prevalent

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me the difference between CFA and Masters in Finance?

IF i am not wrong, CFA and Master in Finance is totally different.

CFA is a professional recognition whereas Master in Finance is a academic recognition.

If i'm not wrong again, there are serveral Master in Finance courses that states it's a course that can help students pass their CFA exams. (not saying that a Master in Finance is only for this purpose, it's just one of them)

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
IF i am not wrong, CFA and Master in Finance is totally different.

CFA is a professional recognition whereas Master in Finance is a academic recognition.

If i'm not wrong again, there are serveral Master in Finance courses that states it's a course that can help students pass their CFA exams. (not saying that a Master in Finance is only for this purpose, it's just one of them)

Actually it's more like those programs tie up with CFAI such that the curriculum is very similar.

Eg. MSc Finance at London Business School

mybiscuits

Reaction score
Actually it's more like those programs tie up with CFAI such that the curriculum is very similar.

Eg. MSc Finance at London Business School

wah so early ar, whens ur next paper?

does that mean if we are taking up cfa, no pt in taking masters in finance?

delay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hmmm MIF from LBS vs MFE from Princeton vs a CFA.
seriously i wouldnt say it is pointless
:)

in fact those masters may set u off to a much better career footing than a regular CFA chap.
but of cos that was the good ole days when banks actually hire instead of fire :p

Petrelli_83

Reaction score
hmmm MIF from LBS vs MFE from Princeton vs a CFA.
seriously i wouldnt say it is pointless

in fact those masters may set u off to a much better career footing than a regular CFA chap.
but of cos that was the good ole days when banks actually hire instead of fire :p

your comparison is a bit extreme. The very fact that you're from Princeton or LBS alone would get u off to a better career footing than most regular CFA chaps. You don't even need their masters. It's like you're comparing pure Shark's fin to Beehoon. Even if you add crab to get crab beehoon, people would still choose the shark's fin. :) :) :)

But if we're talking about masters in finance like NUS/NTU/SMU, notice that one of their selling points is their candidate's ability to achieve high passing rates up to the CFA level 2 ONLY. Why pay 30k to study for the CFA when u can pay much less at Kaplan to study the same topics, and the same subjects? But if u just want either one of them, then Masters in Finance is better choice la. Much easier than CFA. They can't possibly fail you more than once or twice for a couple of modules when you're paying them 30k. Some of the profs in SMU teaching finance don't even have a finance degree. some of them are from statistics, engineering, and took the CFA. Some more CFA not cheap wor. Can cost you up to 10k to complete. Add on your 30k masters from NTU/SMU/NUS. Difficult to digest. But if you're rich, then just go ahead lah. more qualifications don't hurt.

I would think exceptions are for MFE degrees, because i think MFE is a bit different from CFA.

Last edited:

delay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
well i was merely responding to your comment to K|muRa^84 that it is pointless to go LBS if u are taking a CFA

one give u a good professional cert, the other gives u a kick start to your career.

but I agree with you MFE differs significantly from CFA.

Petrelli_83

Reaction score
well i was merely responding to your comment to K|muRa^84 that it is pointless to go LBS if u are taking a CFA

one give u a good professional cert, the other gives u a kick start to your career.

but I agree with you MFE differs significantly from CFA.

No lah, u misunderstood me. Wasn't referring to Kimura84's reply. I think Kimura just means the curriculum is deliberately structured to be similar.

delay

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. But you are correct in that the curriculum is the same. Same reason why people with a business degree take an MBA. Duplicate material but the main draw is the eventual exit opportunities most masters

terraj

Reaction score
You can't get your CFA accreditation even if you've passed all the exams until you've worked some years in the industry whereas MoF you get it once you graduate. Anyways there's a lot of overlap between Finance courses and CFA exams depending on your choice of subjects so it's possible to study both at the same time (I have friends that did that).

K|muRa^84

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Ah ok. But you are correct in that the curriculum is the same. Same reason why people with a business degree take an MBA. Duplicate material but the main draw is the eventual exit opportunities most masters

True true

I think some MSc Finance programs are being created to earn a quick buck from the student. Eg. the new program by LSE. Minimal content but you pay the same price as the other more established programs. Definite red flag there!

joeacid

Banned
Reaction score
i have been thinking about this question for a very long time also. Should i start to pursue a CFA or a Masters in Finance. I have done a Bachelor Degree from Murdoch University in Finance. I'm thinking of upgrading myself in this area. Which do you guys suggest? According to what you guys say... CFA is better unless i go ivy league rite? (I dun think i can afford ivy league).

tofuguy

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi guys, i was wondering does it make a difference if i take my CFA lvl 1 in Australia or Singapore? i am currently a yr 3 student in Finance/Marketing in Aust. Can i take my Level 1 in Australia then level 2 in Singapore then Level 3 in Australia again ? :s13::s13::s13:

seeker_k

Reaction score
I have a question.

If you compare CFA and MBA. Which is more valuable? And which will give you a better chance of employment?

Chirashi

Reaction score
Hi I got a newbie qns to ask the seniors here..

Someone mentioned that one cant get the CFA cert even if he passes all 3 levels without having industry experience. Is the industry exp confined to the financial sector? Btw im in engineering now.

genec79

Reaction score
Hi I got a newbie qns to ask the seniors here..

Someone mentioned that one cant get the CFA cert even if he passes all 3 levels without having industry experience. Is the industry exp confined to the financial sector? Btw im in engineering now.

Yes, I believe to qualify to use the CFA title, you would need necessary relevant experience in a finance position (not necessarily in finance industry).

I might be mistaken though as this is what I understand from my former business partner's son who obtained his CFA a few years ago.

Chirashi

Reaction score
Yes, I believe to qualify to use the CFA title, you would need necessary relevant experience in a finance position (not necessarily in finance industry).

I might be mistaken though as this is what I understand from my former business partner's son who obtained his CFA a few years ago.

Thanks, you're right.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.