Yen Exchange Rate Watch

anfield22

Reaction score
yen will go down. but SG dollar will definitely devalue. which will be more?

export is hurting us bad. our economy is driven by our main trading partner, USA. if you search the news you would find recent articles about how the US balance of payments deficit not only lessened, but also shrank. an even more recent local article said that the MAS may devalue the SG dollar to S$1.80 per US$. i am lazy to cite the references, you can check it out and let us know if it's wrong.

i'm going tokyo next month. some people are postponing their travel plans because of exchange rate. but that's assuming the exchange rate will get better. will it get better or will it get worse? who knows?

anyway the yen is not cheap now, but time is not cheap always. i might not have the time or opportunity to go next year.

good luck to everyone who will be going soon!

Junpei

Reaction score
from Mustafa today rate
Japanese Yen 1,000 16.3500 16.5200

oh my god.:s31:

anfield22

Reaction score
graph120.png

120 days
latest (Dec 3) 61.0475
lowest (Dec 3) 61.0475
highest (Jul 25) 79.2901

ask not whether the yen will recover, but whether the singapore dollar will

stars87

Master Member
Reaction score
graph120.png

120 days
latest (Dec 3) 61.0475
lowest (Dec 3) 61.0475
highest (Jul 25) 79.2901

ask not whether the yen will recover, but whether the singapore dollar will

ultimate crap.

pray hard for recovery in 1Q or 2Q next year and S$ rise against yen or Yen dramatic fall to boost the yen carry trade.

Savaged

Reaction score
ultimate crap.

pray hard for recovery in 1Q or 2Q next year and S$ rise against yen or Yen dramatic fall to boost the yen carry trade.

with MAS allowing the S$ to fall to 1.80, even a weaker yen won't save the JPY-SGD exchange much, not to mention if yen stays at this level :s16:

we may see $18 for 1000yen next year (hopefully not!) at the rate things are going argh :(

milyrad

Reaction score
japan is mainly import based.. so their currency will go higher and higher to suit their needs.. whereas Singapore is more on export.. devaluation of our currency will be a better choice for our economy.. so now one up one down.. SGD change to JPN YEN = pocket one big hole

anfield22

Reaction score
i'm not an expert, but this is my attempt to make sense of what's happening now. here comes my WALL OF TEXT

the demand for imports and exports in japan has been relatively unchanged. the only reason why the balance of payments in japan is worsening is because of the increase in the exchange rate. it's not that japan is exporting less. but exports are paid in foreign currency, which is now worth less compared to the japanese yen. the issue is not the amount of goods exported by japan, but the money that they receive for the same amount of goods is now less.

to say that japan 'allows' exchange rates to weaken would be to say that they adopt a fixed exchange rate policy. i can't comment on that cos not enough info to suggest this.

in this case, it is not the balance of payments affecting the exchange rate, but the exchange rate affecting the balance of payments. and the exchange rate is not affected by the goods market, but rather the money market.

1. as japanese investors (individuals, firms, governments) lose confidence is the global economy, they pull their investments out of the global financial markets. japanese investors are more risk averse, and japanese people have a higher propensity to save (hence a decade of deflation and ineffective monetary policy, 0% interest rates).

2. when japanese investors invest less overseas, the demand for foreign capital falls. this causes an increased net capital inflow.

3. when the demand for foreign capital falls, the demand for foreign currency falls, foreign currency depreciates (against the japanese yen). which is the same as saying that japanese yen appreciates, against foreign currency.

hence japanese yen goes up.

what people predict is that the goods market will be affected by the worsening balance of payments, forcing japan into a recession. we dont know how long this will take. one thing is for sure, it will not happen by the time i visit tokyo :(

for singapore, foreign trade is 3 times the size of domestic consumption. like japan (but for different reasons), monetary policy is also ineffective. you never hear about the government changing interest rates (CPF will be pwned), you only hear about MAS adjusting exchange rates. that's to say that singapore exchange rate policy is closer towards a fixed rather than a flexible policy.

hence singapore GDP will depend mainly on the balance of payments. but there is another factor to consider, and that is the fact that singapore has a major trading partner: USA.

so exports depend heavily on USA's demand for imports. there is nothing we can do to change USA's demand. what the MAS can do is devalue the singapore dollar. therefore, each US dollar that singapore is paid can be exchanged into a greater amount of singapore dollars.

hence, singapore dollar goes down, due to the effect of the goods market.

anyway analyse also no use, i just got pwned by the money changer today, $1.657 per JPY100 :s16::s16:

i can only hope that by the time i come back from japan, the exchange rate is still high, if not higher :D

Last edited:

fox1

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
The USD has to strengthen in order to spur consumption in the US, which in turn will restart the economy.
SGD will not appreciate in the meantime.

This is what I think. :p

jeffsmith

Reaction score
1 Sgd = 61.95 Yen for today
Hope it gets better

The Asian market is getting better. This is going to effect Yen too. As this recovery in the Asian market is good for the market and the invested money of people.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.