[Official cycling thread]

mONK_87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Anyone into Jamis? Wondering how much the Mojave 5.0 2009 version costs...

Togo part someone selling GT 3.0disc08 $400 & GT 2.0 disc08 $650 leh
So how still haven't decide which bike to hoot?

Last edited:

SuperDecker

Reaction score
Togo part someone selling GT 3.0disc08 $400 & GT 2.0 disc08 $650 leh
So how still haven't decide which bike to hoot?
Oohh, let me go take a look. Around xmas/end dec then hoot, so til then, still got time to look around. :)

Anyone knows where to view Raleigh bikes? Interested in Mojave 5.0, must see how muchie

ExistXz

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to cycling and have decided to get a bicycle with a budget of $400 max. Could you guys please recommend me some bikes? I've done research and I think the following bikes are in my range but i'm not sure if they are suitable for me.

The bikes i saw:
Giant Yukong/Boulder
GT Avalanch
Jamis Dakota 1.0/2.0
Trek 3700
GT Avalanche 3.0 V Brake
Hasa Comp 1

Anyway I will mainly be using the bike for on road riding. Totally have no intention of going off-road. I would love to have a roadie but it's way to expensive! So i've decided to get a Single Suspension MTB and then fit them with 1.25" wheels! So can you guys please recommend me a good entry level bike which i can slowly upgrade the parts of?

Oh and I stay in AMK. So will be visiting Chapter 2 Cycle tomorrow! I do have a great fetish for thin wheels and either a White or really Shiny Silver bike. It'd be great if I could find a 2nd hand bike but it's really hard to find! I'm only 1.62m so I'll only be able to use a S or M frame!

Also, i'm currently eyeing this a 2001 GT Aggresor Mountain Bike. Specs are: Aluminium frame, full Shimano Deore setup, ProMax Brakes, Rock Shox Judy TT Jett Fork, Cateye Cordless 2 (no batteries though). Size L. Isit a good buy? Ha I like how the GT bikes look!

I would really appreciate any reply! After reading 79 pages of this thread, i'm super excited to get the bike. Too bad the shop isnt open now! :(

Many thanks!

Last edited:

SuperDecker

Reaction score
Hi! I'm new to cycling and have decided to get a bicycle with a budget of $400 max. Could you guys please recommend me some bikes? I've done research and I think the following bikes are in my range but i'm not sure if they are suitable for me.

The bikes i saw:
Giant Yukong/Boulder
GT Avalanch
Jamis Dakota 1.0/2.0
Trek 3700
GT Avalanche 3.0 V Brake
Hasa Comp 1

Anyway I will mainly be using the bike for on road riding. Totally have no intention of going off-road. I would love to have a roadie but it's way to expensive! So i've decided to get a Single Suspension MTB and then fit them with 1.25" wheels! So can you guys please recommend me a good entry level bike which i can slowly upgrade the parts of?

Oh and I stay in AMK. So will be visiting Chapter 2 Cycle tomorrow! I do have a great fetish for thin wheels and either a White or really Shiny Silver bike. It'd be great if I could find a 2nd hand bike but it's really hard to find! I'm only 1.62m so I'll only be able to use a S or M frame!

Also, i'm currently eyeing this a 2001 GT Aggresor Mountain Bike. Specs are: Aluminium frame, full Shimano Deore setup, ProMax Brakes, Rock Shox Judy TT Jett Fork, Cateye Cordless 2 (no batteries though). Size L. Isit a good buy? Ha I like how the GT bikes look!

I would really appreciate any reply! After reading 79 pages of this thread, i'm super excited to get the bike. Too bad the shop isnt open now! :(

Many thanks!
I'm not sure how much is the Hasa 1.0 but Polygon series will fit your budget.

I'm also looking at some bikes and Giant Yukon ($500++ to $600++) /Boulder($400++) exceeds your budget. GT Avalanche 3.0v also at $550+

Jamis u can have a look at TrailX3 or X2 series, might fit your budget but pls check with Hup Leong first

ExistXz

Reaction score
I'm not sure how much is the Hasa 1.0 but Polygon series will fit your budget.

I'm also looking at some bikes and Giant Yukon ($500++ to $600++) /Boulder($400++) exceeds your budget. GT Avalanche 3.0v also at $550+

Jamis u can have a look at TrailX3 or X2 series, might fit your budget but pls check with Hup Leong first

Thanks for your reply.. Hmm the Jamis bikes arent exactly very aesthetically pleasing to me. As for the Yukon/Boulder/3.0 I found sellers selling for $400 2nd hand. Not sure if they are suitable to be converted for road riding though? Does anyone knwo?

Also from what i understand, disc brakes are mostly for MTBs. So if intend to use slick tyres, will disc brakes on the bike be a problem?

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score

The bikes i saw:
Giant Yukong/Boulder
GT Avalanch
Jamis Dakota 1.0/2.0
Trek 3700
GT Avalanche 3.0 V Brake
Hasa Comp 1

Many thanks!
hi there, $400 is a good budget to start with.. u can look at the jamis trail-x too, iirc $375 at hup leong..

anyway most entry mtb are 18 - 24 speed with some at 27 speed.. drivetrain is upgradeable so fret not.. for ur slicks, if u have cash to spare, get the panaracer t-serv..

and the GT aggressor, at L size, most probably u wun be able to fit but then u can try the bike to make sure..

have u visted www.togoparts.com ?

its a good site to start with, lotsa deals also.. :)

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your reply.. Hmm the Jamis bikes arent exactly very aesthetically pleasing to me. As for the Yukon/Boulder/3.0 I found sellers selling for $400 2nd hand. Not sure if they are suitable to be converted for road riding though? Does anyone knwo?

Also from what i understand, disc brakes are mostly for MTBs. So if intend to use slick tyres, will disc brakes on the bike be a problem?
most bike are able to accomodate semi slicks.. just change the tube and tires and u are done..

disc brake are categorised into mechanical and hydraulics.. u need to have disc ready hubs and appropriate disc mounts on ur fork and frame in order to install disc brakes...

disc brakes offer better modulation and stopping power then vee brakes, esp in wet condition when braking is of importance.. to ur qn whether will it be a prob, once u have the above mentioned ready, it shud not be a prob to install disc brakes on ur bike... disc hubs are for the installation of disc rotors and mounts are for the mounting of ur disc brake calipers..

however do consider ur needs, whether do u need it... imo vee brakes suffice for most uses... esp now u are on budget... disc brakes will cost u substantial amt of money.. but for bling bling wise of cos disc brake is the way to go.. :o

ExistXz

Reaction score
hi there, $400 is a good budget to start with.. u can look at the jamis trail-x too, iirc $375 at hup leong..

anyway most entry mtb are 18 - 24 speed with some at 27 speed.. drivetrain is upgradeable so fret not.. for ur slicks, if u have cash to spare, get the panaracer t-serv..

and the GT aggressor, at L size, most probably u wun be able to fit but then u can try the bike to make sure..

have u visted www.togoparts.com ?

its a good site to start with, lotsa deals also.. :)

i love the aggressor! there's someone selling an m sized one at:
http://www.togoparts.com/marketplac...4&page_id=2&done=list_ads.php?cid=3&page_id=2
but no picture and there are disc brakes. anyone know about whether disk brakes are going to be a problem for slicks? and is this a good deal?

and yes i have been to togoparts! browsed through like 15 pages of the marketplace. sigh saw some really good deals but they have been snapped up! there was a louis something something bike which was so pretty! a white road bike for only $500. anyone know where i can find that brand in singapore? sigh a brand new one will definitely be out of my budget though.

EDIT: just saw your reply! oh i just that disc brakes would not allow me to put on slick tyres. but i'm wrong! i definitely do not need slick brakes though. thanks alot for your informative reply! and hmm so the $400 GT Aggressor should be a pretty good deal right?
And as for the Jamis, i know it's stupid but i dont like how most of their bikes have the spongy thingy at their front suspension. To me, makes it look cheap! =\

Last edited:

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
i love the aggressor! there's someone selling an m sized one at:
http://www.togoparts.com/marketplac...4&page_id=2&done=list_ads.php?cid=3&page_id=2
but no picture and there are disc brakes. anyone know about whether disk brakes are going to be a problem for slicks? and is this a good deal?

and yes i have been to togoparts! browsed through like 15 pages of the marketplace. sigh saw some really good deals but they have been snapped up! there was a louis something something bike which was so pretty! a white road bike for only $500. anyone know where i can find that brand in singapore? sigh a brand new one will definitely be out of my budget though.

EDIT: just saw your reply! oh i just that disc brakes would not allow me to put on slick tyres. but i'm wrong! i definitely do not need slick brakes though. thanks alot for your informative reply! and hmm so the $400 GT Aggressor should be a pretty good deal right?
its a GT avalanche 3.0 not an aggressor.. size wise it is better to ask for an appt to try the bike.. using myself as an example.. i am 1.8m but my frame size is S and it fits fine.. cos diff bike diff geometry and dimensions.. trying the bike is the best way to noe whether it fits anot.. do google abt bike fit ya.. :)

louis garneau? hup leong have them iirc.. :)

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
And as for the Jamis, i know it's stupid but i dont like how most of their bikes have the spongy thingy at their front suspension. To me, makes it look cheap! =\

yup no problem :)

$400 is not bad.. but do try the bike first as per mentioned.. bike fit is everything in cycling, if the bike dun fit, u wun enjoy the sport... however a word of advice, it is better to get a smaller bike then a bigger bike if there is no size tat fits u as the size diff for the smaller bike can be offset by the stem length and rise, setback seatpost etc.. for a bigger frame, there is no way to make it smaller for u.. :)

those black spongy things are there to provide protection for the stanchions of the suspension.. cos entry level suspensions normally have steel stanchions which will rust if they get into contact with water.. :)

can cut away those rubber if u wan but it will shorten the lifespan of the suspension.. :)

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
if u wan to upgrade to those without the rubber thingy, u need to come up with more cash.. :)

Image138-.jpg

better suspensions use aluminium for the stanchions and most are anodized to offer protection and better performance :o

mONK_87

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think what ExistXz mean is.....will the disc brake be a problem if he wants to change the tire to slick.Example,the disc brake is not compatible with slick tire

I dont think he wants a disc brake but the guy selling the bike comes with disc brake

Am i right ExistXz

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
I think what ExistXz mean is.....will the disc brake be a problem if he wants to change the tire to slick.Example,the disc brake is not compatible with slick tire

I dont think he wants a disc brake but the guy selling the bike comes with disc brake

Am i right ExistXz
if this is wat he meant.. it will also not be a problem as tires are tires.. brakes are brakes :)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.