[Official cycling thread]

ExistXz

Reaction score
Wow technica, you have a beautiful bike. Oh yeah it's a Avalanche not an aggressor, sorry for the mistake.

I saw some other beautiful bikes, the low end scott ones! Ahh if only someone was selling it 2nd hand.

As for the size, i did some research on the net and found out about why it's so important to get the proper size. That's why i'll be heading down to C2C tomorrow to check out the sizes which suit me. :)

As for cutting away the rubber, maybe i can consider that. lol. It'll be even better if i manage to find a bike which comes without it!

EDIT: Wow you all post very quickly! Yes thanks monk 87, that's exactly what i meant. Hmm since it wont be a problem then i guess i can really consider the avalanche!

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
Wow technica, you have a beautiful bike. Oh yeah it's a Avalanche not an aggressor, sorry for the mistake.

I saw some other beautiful bikes, the low end scott ones! Ahh if only someone was selling it 2nd hand.

As for the size, i did some research on the net and found out about why it's so important to get the proper size. That's why i'll be heading down to C2C tomorrow to check out the sizes which suit me. :)

As for cutting away the rubber, maybe i can consider that. lol. It'll be even better if i manage to find a bike which comes without it!

EDIT: Wow you all post very quickly! Yes thanks monk 87, that's exactly what i meant. Hmm since it wont be a problem then i guess i can really consider the avalanche!
nah, its just a bike tat brings me joy~ :o

scotts voltage? :o

so do get a bike tat fits u ya? :) shortlist ya choices and we can discuss more.. :o

as for the rubber.. jamis durango has manitou axel and it doesnt have the rubber thingy
(but personal experience is tat the stanchions do still rust abit) :s22: :s13:

GT ava is using the suntour xcm/xcr.. also dun have the rubber.. :)

ExistXz

Reaction score
nah, its just a bike tat brings me joy~ :o

scotts voltage? :o

so do get a bike tat fits u ya? :) shortlist ya choices and we can discuss more.. :o

as for the rubber.. jamis durango has manitou axel and it doesnt have the rubber thingy
(but personal experience is tat the stanchions do still rust abit) :s22: :s13:

GT ava is using the suntour xcm/xcr.. also dun have the rubber.. :)

I see. Now i have shortlisted the bikes i'm really interested in:
GT Avalanche 3.0
GT Aggressor 2001
Jamis Durango
Giant Yukon

What would be the price range for a brand new or 2nd hand one. From what i saw, should be like these:
GT Avalanche 3.0 - 2nd hand: $400
GT Aggressor 2001 - 2nd hand: $350
Jamis Durango - 2nd hand 3 year old one going for $200
Giant Yukon - 2nd hand: $400, brand new: $600.
Giant Boulder - 2nd hand: $220

What's the difference between Yukon and Boulder?

Which bike would be most suitable? And if i want to change the rubber part, as in the suspension part, how much would it cost to change? Many thanks!

Last edited:

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
GT Avalanche 3.0
GT Aggressor 2001
Jamis Durango
Giant Yukon

What would be the price range for a brand new or 2nd hand one. From what i saw, should be like these:

Which bike would be most suitable? And if i want to change the rubber part, as in the suspension part, how much would it cost to change? Many thanks!
the ava is a level higher then the aggressor iirc.. not sure abt the giant..

suitable i am not sure.. are u depending on price? 2nd hand also need to look at cond and parts also.. so yeah, alot of factors..

u mean changing the suspension? cos u cant just change the stanchions... i mean conventionally.. unconventionally u can but it will cost u alot more.. haha..

there are alot of suspension fork in the market too.. it all boils down to budget :)
but i advise u not get too bother abt it.. cos the suspension can easily eat half of ur budget.. say u are to get a mid-low range one.. :)

Last edited:

Mister Bart Sachs

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

aiyo

discuss so much also not much use. everyone who replies all have their own opinions and suggestions. but it's THEIR opinions and choices. not YOURS.

what matters is seeing the bicycles in person and finding out what you prefer

and don't be too hasty to upgrade the tyres/etc. ride for a while, then you'll know what you really want

try out offroading at least once while you still have your knobby tyes. you might grow to love it

ExistXz

Reaction score
Hmm someone on togoparts quoted me this deal:

1. Giant Boulder DX 14" (Almost brand new)
2. Deore hub wheelset with Japan made rims. New 8 speed cassette and 1.5 tires. Cassette and tires used for less than 30 km.
3. 1.25" tyres

All for $400+. Is that expensive?

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
aiyo

discuss so much also not much use. everyone who replies all have their own opinions and suggestions. but it's THEIR opinions and choices. not YOURS.

what matters is seeing the bicycles in person and finding out what you prefer

and don't be too hasty to upgrade the tyres/etc. ride for a while, then you'll know what you really want

try out offroading at least once while you still have your knobby tyes. you might grow to love it
u dun talk can? :(

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score

2. Deore hub wheelset with Japan made rims. New 8 speed cassette and 1.5 tires. Cassette and tires used for less than 30 km.
3. 1.25" tyres

need more info :o

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just tried my friend'd roadie for a few km yesterday, and I must say it's really UNFAIR ADVANTAGE. If you totally do not intend to go offroad at all, do yourself a favor, save up and get a roadie. People tell me 101 things good about roadie, i don't believe, after riding it for a few km, now I finally understand, the speed, the ease of maintaining high speed, it's really a different class altogether. Everything else is a compromise.

If u must get a hybrid, look out for the geometry, the shorter the chainstay, the faster the acceleration. look for steep headtube and seat tube angle so that ur centre of gravity is pushed to the front, can chiong faster. For road riding, use a longer stem, 100-110mm and a flat bar.

But if u can, just get a roadie......really

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
GT Avalanche 3.0
GT Aggressor 2001
Jamis Durango
Giant Yukon

For road, if u want to change, change to rigid, no need suspension. lighter and cheaper.

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

3. 1.25" tyres

14 inch is really quite small, like ladies size liao.

400+ for second hand seems expensive to me.

ExistXz

Reaction score
i'm quite scared the 14 inch is really too small. but i'm only 1.62m. which is a ladies height. i may go try the bike tomorrow. i think it's expensive because of the wheelset. think i may ask for the bike without it cause i dont need it. =\

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
i'm quite scared the 14 inch is really too small. but i'm only 1.62m. which is a ladies height. i may go try the bike tomorrow. i think it's expensive because of the wheelset. think i may ask for the bike without it cause i dont need it. =\

never state brand means no brand rims or super old rims.Deore hubs are very cheap.

U can find this kind of wheelset for less than 100 bux in togoparts if you are patient enough to wait.

ExistXz

Reaction score
never state brand means no brand rims or super old rims.Deore hubs are very cheap.

U can find this kind of wheelset for less than 100 bux in togoparts if you are patient enough to wait.

Wow thanks for that piece of information. Certainly very useful!

So the guy wants to sell me the Boulder DX bike for $290. I have no idea if it's a good deal!

pew

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Wow thanks for that piece of information. Certainly very useful!

So the guy wants to sell me the Boulder DX bike for $290. I have no idea if it's a good deal!

I think can buy liao, cuz normally sub $300 bikes usually don't go down to 14 inch

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
GT Avalanche 3.0
GT Aggressor 2001
Jamis Durango
Giant Yukon

I take the durango as my first choice follow by boulder as second choice if the size fit.

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Finished respraying the GT Tempest 96 frame and setup almost the whole bike. Now left to change new chain and shifter + brake cable and she is set to be ride again.

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just tried my friend'd roadie for a few km yesterday, and I must say it's really UNFAIR ADVANTAGE. If you totally do not intend to go offroad at all, do yourself a favor, save up and get a roadie. People tell me 101 things good about roadie, i don't believe, after riding it for a few km, now I finally understand, the speed, the ease of maintaining high speed, it's really a different class altogether. Everything else is a compromise.

If u must get a hybrid, look out for the geometry, the shorter the chainstay, the faster the acceleration. look for steep headtube and seat tube angle so that ur centre of gravity is pushed to the front, can chiong faster. For road riding, use a longer stem, 100-110mm and a flat bar.

But if u can, just get a roadie......really

i think that was discussed to death in SMBF but u went ahead with yr racer x. Road bike cannot off road - that is a consolation. Like they said, you can't have everything. :(

ExistXz

Reaction score
I'm probably going with the Boulder. I kinda prefer it to the Durango.

Anyway before I really go make the choice, may I ask if the GT Avalanche 3.0 would be a much better buy? For cruising on the roads, which will make a smoother and faster ride? Is the difference really alot?

I kinda plan to upgrade parts slowly, like the wheelset, cranks, gears, etc. So will the GT one give me a good enough stock pieces such that I wont need to upgrade that much?

The Boulder costs $220. GT Avalanche costs $400. So which will be more worth it in the end?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.