[Official cycling thread]

Ysatis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to bike and want to buy a MTB budget <$1000 . Can anyone help ?

sukhoi37

Reaction score
i'm newbie too, but i see a lot of people recommend GT Ava 1.0 for budget 1k.

anyone knows how much is Giant FCR bike?

Ysatis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score

i saw many people recommend GT ava 2.0 v disc for the best bang for bucks but like quite common leh. got any other models ?

TheoDR

Great Supremacy Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
I am a newbie to bike and want to buy a MTB budget <$1000 . Can anyone help ?
$1k is an excellent budget :D For that price, you should probably aim for a hardtail (no rear suspension) bike with at least all or some of the following:

- Decent RockShox fork
- Avid mechanical disc brakes or maybe Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes
- Some Shimano LX parts (derailleurs/shifters/crankset)
- 27 speed drivetrain
- Decent tyres by brands like Maxxis/Hutchinson/IRC or similiar types
- Quality aluminum/chromoly steel frame
- Some branded parts (as opposed to own brand) like the handlebar/stem/seatpost

Road bike? Am not familiar with roadies yet.. :o

But when buying a bike, bring someone experienced to go with you so that you won't kena smoked by the bike shop. Also try out a few bikes, ride them to see how they feel, how fast they react to direction changes, how "eager" the bikes seem to move when you step on the pedals and also the stopping power of the brakes.

Note: Bikes on the shop floor probably won't have their tyres properly inflated since air escapes from them over time, so have them pumped up before testing or before/after you've brought it back home.

For <$1k, you can look at MTB bike brands like Jamis, Giant, Haro etc, these generally give pretty good value for money and have good frames that will encourage parts upgrades.

Hope this helps!

Ysatis

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
$1k is an excellent budget :D For that price, you should probably aim for a hardtail (no rear suspension) bike with at least all or some of the following:

- Decent RockShox fork
- Avid mechanical disc brakes or maybe Shimano Deore hydraulic disc brakes
- Some Shimano LX parts (derailleurs/shifters/crankset)
- 27 speed drivetrain
- Decent tyres by brands like Maxxis/Hutchinson/IRC or similiar types
- Quality aluminum/chromoly steel frame
- Some branded parts (as opposed to own brand) like the handlebar/stem/seatpost

Road bike? Am not familiar with roadies yet.. :o

But when buying a bike, bring someone experienced to go with you so that you won't kena smoked by the bike shop. Also try out a few bikes, ride them to see how they feel, how fast they react to direction changes, how "eager" the bikes seem to move when you step on the pedals and also the stopping power of the brakes.

Note: Bikes on the shop floor probably won't have their tyres properly inflated since air escapes from them over time, so have them pumped up before testing or before/after you've brought it back home.

For <$1k, you can look at MTB bike brands like Jamis, Giant, Haro etc, these generally give pretty good value for money and have good frames that will encourage parts upgrades.

Hope this helps!

Jamis Durango 2 or GT Ava 2.0 more worth it or maybe Ava 1.0 ?

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
any rims as hardy as mavic 717 but cheaper then 717?

i ~60kg nia... 717 like overkill? i do some hucking and jumping ard at times.. play play nia... mostly touring ard sg.. looking to combo the rims with XT disc hubs and dt comp spokes.. reco? :o

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
any rims as hardy as mavic 717 but cheaper then 717?

i ~60kg nia... 717 like overkill? i do some hucking and jumping ard at times.. play play nia... mostly touring ard sg.. looking to combo the rims with XT disc hubs and dt comp spokes.. reco? :o

317 loh...........

Nordicstic

Master Member
Reaction score
hi!

i just bought a Giant Iguana Disc today from Tay Cycle.... :(

very excited to start cycling! changed the pedals to clipless too.

hmm. but one question, i spend quite a lot on this bike....

but how to keep it safe? do i nid to buy like 2 U-locks when I go out?

sigh. i really dun wanna lose this bike... looking forward to joining you guys in cycling trips too!

also. any recommendation to any good and cheap locks ?

last but not least, i also nid ot look for tail lights.... hehe. any recommendations as well?

Last edited:

cloudwane

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to to cycling and I used to have a old MTB but it's no longer usable. I'm currently trying to source around for a new MTB which probably cost $500 or less for weekends cycling and maybe some night cycling as well.

Any recommendation for the above budget? Also are there any good bike shops in the west preferably?

Thanks, all advices are welcome.

hdrcorp

Reaction score
I'm not sure about the west, but I heard east got a few, Tay and L&T. AMK also got one C2C quite good. Me noob so not much 1st hand experience with them.

Anyone know where to get the brand "Black Market" frame? heard it is very good street frame.

bryanzephe

Reaction score
selling my bike

Hi, Selling my oldschool bridgestone sport touring bike(Red) 58cm C2C at $600. Interested parties, drop me an sms at 83679902 to view.

Note: this bike is a Roadbike with touring capability. Good for long distance, if you intend to go round island or to malaysia.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.