Recommendations for STEAMBOAT

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
i just the paradise place yest night.
its good!

unlimited lala + cooked cockles + fresh fish + pork fillet( this is very good) for $18.50 per pax.
No service charge! but must pay for achar + wet towel! =/

service is not bad.

ate around 8 plates of fish fillet +6 plates of pork fillet + 1 pork liver + 4 plates hum + 6 plates lala + ..

still thinking i sat there for 2 1/2 hrs, did i eat $40+ worth of food or not(for 2 pax). =/

My last trip to Paradise On Earth 2 months ago, I feel their menu has changed. They removed a few items like the Quail eggs and luncheon meat on buffet menu.

How much can quail egg and luncheon meat cost and how much of these can 1 pax eat?

Price increase by a dollar, items removed.
Not going to go there anymore. I also noticed crowd has dwindled at Paradise on Earth. Last time I had to book for a place, that day I went only 3 tables of customers.
What I hate is a restaurant can increase price and yet remove items, then what's the point of us paying more and getting less? I rather they increase $5 more, we get better items on the menu. Even the beef taste hard even if i eat it raw, can't even see the marble lines on it.

I rather go Coca now. Coca I pay more, seafood also more fresh than theirs. Pork, Beef, Chicken, also more tenderised and tasty.

As for those along geylang and beach road those 15.90 steamboat, there is no need to taste these yucky ones. Hygiene lousy, food not so fresh, still have to self take, non-aircon....

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
Can try Juju Hoikkaido Hotpot at Paradiz Centre (now knowns as Pomo). Nice!

Next door Tao's is same boss as Ju Ju. They are the pioneer restaurants way there long before POMO took over development from Lum Chan and redevelopment was done:s13:

There is one more steamboat restaurant there, heard from a friend, the owner is TCS actor Terence Cao. He paid for the buffet for 2, had to pay more for the soup, told me $20+ for the soup base. Total all in $80+

I told him, if going pay $80+, then might as well go M Hotel eat the steamboat buffet. Also $40+ per pax. At least hotel pay more have better ambience. Food there also quite fresh

brookln

Master Member
Reaction score
Tian Tian Huo Guo at Tan Quee Lan Street!! Where can you find ultimate steamboat buffet at just $18++ with free flow of crabs, fish and prawns? Quality food minus the quantity of cheapo food.

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
Tian Tian Huo Guo at Tan Quee Lan Street!! Where can you find ultimate steamboat buffet at just $18++ with free flow of crabs, fish and prawns? Quality food minus the quantity of cheapo food.

Actually, many steamboat places now serve crabs, fish, prawns unlimited.
It is the matter of what kind of crab, what kind of fish or what type of prawns.

Nichi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
My last trip to Paradise On Earth 2 months ago, I feel their menu has changed. They removed a few items like the Quail eggs and luncheon meat on buffet menu.

How much can quail egg and luncheon meat cost and how much of these can 1 pax eat?

Not going to go there anymore. I also noticed crowd has dwindled at Paradise on Earth. Last time I had to book for a place, that day I went only 3 tables of customers.
What I hate is a restaurant can increase price and yet remove items, then what's the point of us paying more and getting less? I rather they increase $5 more, we get better items on the menu. Even the beef taste hard even if i eat it raw, can't even see the marble lines on it.

I rather go Coca now. Coca I pay more, seafood also more fresh than theirs. Pork, Beef, Chicken, also more tenderised and tasty.

As for those along geylang and beach road those 15.90 steamboat, there is no need to taste these yucky ones. Hygiene lousy, food not so fresh, still have to self take, non-aircon....
i tink u see lesser ppl cos they got 2 outlets already...

got a newer one just slightly further down the road...

tomicaguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Coca too.

Airconditioned, just order what you want, plates are served by them, no issue of unhygienic places, the chilli is nice.

I agree with earthyblue on those places at Beach Road/Geylang.

No offence to anyone who prefers cheaper steamboats.

Lonely_Hippo

Master Member
Reaction score
But, Quail eggs and luncheon meat missing from menu, doesnt bother me.

The lala + cockles + fish is already very fresh.

No idea what r u nitpicking abt 2 cheapo items missing.

I even told me to give me 4 servings of fish on 1 plate they also ok. flexible.

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
nichi said:
i tink u see lesser ppl cos they got 2 outlets already...

got a newer one just slightly further down the road...

On my last visit, I purposely walk to the new outlet, only 2 tables filled.
Many friends I recommended to said Paradise standard has drop slightly and price increase. They rather go Tian Tian as its more accessible and centralised.

But, Quail eggs and luncheon meat missing from menu, doesnt bother me.

The lala + cockles + fish is already very fresh.

No idea what r u nitpicking abt 2 cheapo items missing.

I even told me to give me 4 servings of fish on 1 plate they also ok. flexible.

What if I say lala and cockles doesn't bother me?
We cannot say things like this and say 2 cheapo items missing. Vegetables and meat also very cheapo too.

Price increase and you reduce the variety. When Paradise on Earth first opened in Katong, I have been a regular patron there. I slow down my visits based on 2 reasons.
1) Some items then when you order, they do not have. Luncheon meat then rose by a lot, I can understand, then what about quail eggs?

2) They changed to new menu, they shift the quail eggs to the other side where you can only order ala carte. And they increase price.

You can order 10 servings of prawns or fish, they would never stop you. But anyone realise that when you go Paradise on Earth and you make your 1st order. They tick the orders for you. when it comes, sure got something missing or they give you wrong.
When i order meatball, they will bring prawn ball, fish ball along. Then my fish paste missing. I had to return them those I didn't order.

It's not once or twice. It's everytime.

Not withstanding all these I said, their items are fresh, fish and prawn ok lar. If you know how to cook, you go sheng siong supermarket and look at their spread of live prawns and you will know that the fish and prawns they serve are not the expensive type

Last edited:

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
I would recommend Coca too.

Airconditioned, just order what you want, plates are served by them, no issue of unhygienic places, the chilli is nice.

I agree with earthyblue on those places at Beach Road/Geylang.

No offence to anyone who prefers cheaper steamboats.

Coca steamboat came from Thailand. the chilli or can call it the suki sauce is a recipe made just for steamboat. It's one of the most delicious sauce for steamboat I ever tried. In thailand, you can add in garlic, green chilli, celery to enhance the smell. But in Thailand, the most successful steamboat chain is MK steamboat. Not Coca. Another thing to mention, MK has more than 122 outlets in thailand, can fight against the Macdonalds and KFC. And their expansion surpassed Coca, even Coca was said to be better in taste, due to the fact that MK is run in a more corporate manner while Coca is more of within the family type of business.
http://www.mkrestaurant.com/mkdelivery/index.php

Their spread is very wide.

http://www.coca.com.sg/
Coca uses good prawns, when you eat it, you can feel they don't scrimp on quality

Their dinner more expensive and the lunch is cheaper.

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
i want to vomit blood liao. i try to organize a steamboat gathering for my colleagues, i recommend coca and the raja inn, they said no good, the soup base is tasteless. omg.. i really don know what to recommend . :s13:

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
i want to vomit blood liao. i try to organize a steamboat gathering for my colleagues, i recommend coca and the raja inn, they said no good, the soup base is tasteless. omg.. i really don know what to recommend . :s13:

Actually soup base are meant to be tasteless. Because most tasty soups have a lot of MSG content. And soup is always meant to be drank at the last part and only small portions.
If initially is very tasty, after cooking for few rounds with the seafood and others, the soup will be very saltish at the end.
I also don't know what to recommend you.:(

brookln

Master Member
Reaction score
wah earthlyblue, u seem very experienced in steamboat. I guess you always go steamboat buffet and gobble every food you see?

Swordsman, Raja Inn their soup is so nice!! Tell your colleagues if not enough taste, they can throw in salt, pepper, soy sauce or even chili sauce! Which will of course, spoil the original taste of the soup!!

tomicaguy

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I think you colleagues don't really know how to appreciate steamboat. Haha

brookln

Master Member
Reaction score
I think you colleagues don't really know how to appreciate steamboat. Haha

or are they china people?

no offense but china people are damn unhealthy bunch of people. they like steamboat with very strong taste. They love sichuan mala (damn oily). chicken soup (damn salty) and herbal soup (damn bitter).

that's why they love melamine too. LOL... more protein!

earthyblue

Master Member
Reaction score
wah earthlyblue, u seem very experienced in steamboat. I guess you always go steamboat buffet and gobble every food you see?

Swordsman, Raja Inn their soup is so nice!! Tell your colleagues if not enough taste, they can throw in salt, pepper, soy sauce or even chili sauce! Which will of course, spoil the original taste of the soup!!

last time when i was working in thailand few years ago, every week i will eat steamboat at least once. eating steamboat is like a way of life to the thais. not only MK, Coca type but those road side issarn style hotpot steamboat which they call (jeem joom). Imagine the number of MK restaurants are much more than the Macdonalds' KFC, that shows you how they loved steamboat. It's only these few years more and more steamboat joints sprout out in singapore. I will not go those steamboat places where you have to take your own food, because the food is exposed in the open and not very hygienic due to people walking past by and breathing, talking while getting the food.
i am selective on food. When i went Paradise on Earth, I will only ask for 1 plate of prawns (4pcs) or sometimes i don;t order. but when I go Coca, I will order at least 3-4 plates, because the prawns from Coca is tastier and fresher.

In our lifetime, we can only live that long and eat that much. Don't waste money and time on lousy food. ;)

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
or are they china people?

no offense but china people are damn unhealthy bunch of people. they like steamboat with very strong taste. They love sichuan mala (damn oily). chicken soup (damn salty) and herbal soup (damn bitter).

that's why they love melamine too. LOL... more protein!

No lar !! Most of my colleagues are singaporeans, got 2 are malaysians, out of the 2 malaysians, there is 1 vegetarian, so it's quite difficult to organize a steamboat outing or makan outing to cater to everyone's taste, some don eat spicy food, some like spicy food, there is 1 person who is vegetarian. I thought i very picky on food, they all are more picky than me. lol.. :yawn: oh yeah all my colleagues I'm inviting are girls. :s13:

Last edited:

Swordsman

Banned
Deluxe Member
Reaction score

yes i try not to do that to soup unless its really tasteless.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.