[Official cycling thread]

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm pretty new to to cycling and I used to have a old MTB but it's no longer usable. I'm currently trying to source around for a new MTB which probably cost $500 or less for weekends cycling and maybe some night cycling as well.

Any recommendation for the above budget? Also are there any good bike shops in the west preferably?

Thanks, all advices are welcome.

Go rodalink at tradehub 21 near jurong east area. Buy bike only ,don't buy accessories. Cos their accessories are expensive!

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
any rims as hardy as mavic 717 but cheaper then 717?

i ~60kg nia... 717 like overkill? i do some hucking and jumping ard at times.. play play nia... mostly touring ard sg.. looking to combo the rims with XT disc hubs and dt comp spokes.. reco? :o

717 is not overkill. U get what u pay. Yr pickup may not be as fast if u choose 317 rim.

tecnica

Honorary Member
Reaction score
hey guys can share with me the best price yall got for 08XT hydro disc? :o

iceboy1183

Banned
Reaction score
guys, i've recently bought a new bike

a hasa bike pro 9.0

but i a lil bit insecure
wanted to get ava gt 1.0 but tay cycle said no stock, and directed me to this shop at whitesands

so this hasa bike retail price at 1080 but boss sold to me at 800
didnt think much of it and happy happy cycle home with it

decided to go to hasa website and check
but cant find anything under pro 9.0
closest i can find that looks like my hasa bike is the race 9.0

was that bike like... rejected or something? thats why boss so nice? lol

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
its only a diff of 40g leh.. affect so much meh?

Yr acceleration. A good wheelset is not only diff in weight but its stiffness, hub smoothness, how strong the spoke hold yr rim to hub. A good rim using very good method to weld it strongly gives a very good response from every stroke of the pedal.

That mean a highend wheelset uses minimal pedal effort but can achieve pick up faster and can high greater top speed easier than a low end wheelset.

Yr selction of rim also comes into play. A good rim lies not just in its weight.

I give u an example. DT swiss RR1850 vs Xero Maraviliso. Both are road bic wheelset. Xero one is at 1700gram while DT is at 1850 gram. DT one maybe heavier but is a very stiff wheelset. I will take DT one and will thrash Xero one anytime. Trust me! Maraviliso despite being lighter is no way going to match RR1850 in term of top speed and acceleration if same rider riding both...

Last edited:

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
okay bike la. very common. not very light also. maybe if u have budget for GT, look at jamis?

from browsing over the last 90 pages, the common bikes are GT, and my friend's bro also recommend so thought of buying 1 loh...

with a budget of $400 - $500, any recommendation?
need 2 replace my old MTB before i can kick start my cycling plan... :D

iceboy1183

Banned
Reaction score
from browsing over the last 90 pages, the common bikes are GT, and my friend's bro also recommend so thought of buying 1 loh...

with a budget of $400 - $500, any recommendation?
need 2 replace my old MTB before i can kick start my cycling plan... :D

budget of 400 to 500 i can recommend the polygon xtrada aka the safra bike

its good imo.. saw someone using it to jump at tampines bike park :D

Bodyslam

Reaction score
I am also looking for a new MTB(prefer hardtail), budget bwtn 300-450..have narrowed a few choices that fall within/slighty exceed my budget.

1. Polygon Astroz ($340)
2. Polygon Xtrada ($410)
3. Jamis Xtrail 2.0 ($410/2008, $458/2009)
4. Giant Boulder (estimate $480)

Currently, Astroz seems like the best choice as its cheapest, so the remainder of my budget can be used for installing front/back lights and stuff..

Anyone hv any opinion on the above-mentioned choices? Just not sure which would be the most value for money. Hope u guys can input yr knowledge so I can make the right choice :look:

Got see my post?? My choice is inclined towards Xtrada. 8-speed, not too bad parts. Think its the most value-for-$ :)

Alpha_Hippo

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
guys, i've recently bought a new bike

a hasa bike pro 9.0

but i a lil bit insecure
wanted to get ava gt 1.0 but tay cycle said no stock, and directed me to this shop at whitesands

so this hasa bike retail price at 1080 but boss sold to me at 800
didnt think much of it and happy happy cycle home with it

decided to go to hasa website and check
but cant find anything under pro 9.0
closest i can find that looks like my hasa bike is the race 9.0

was that bike like... rejected or something? thats why boss so nice? lol

hasa is from taiwan. 800 dollars abit shocking. What are the parts?

Nordicstic

Master Member
Reaction score
hello peop. do you guy buy any air horns or bells on your bike?

sometimes road traffic so heavy. hard to cycle, cycle on pavement also cannot cycle fast...... cycle on road. the bus keep blocking my way also, sometimes constructionwork a bit dangerous to ride on road.

so do you guys install those air horns to notify cars on road that u are approaching ?

i read about the airzound airhorn but that comes witha little weird bottle. i know that u nid to refill the air if u run out of it... but necessary to mount the bottle? or just pump air when u run out of air like ur tyres? if nid to mount the bottle to use the airhorn.. i thinking of perhaps getting a bell or nothing at all.

hope someone can shed some light on this~

patcheon

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I do have a airzound airhorn mounted on my bike. Only used it once or twice to cars when they abruptly cut into my lane. And I don't use it on people. So far, used it to defend myself from dogs most. Think total 4 times against chasing dogs where I also do not use it at long distance away from the dogs. I would determine that the dog had turned hostile and actually came within a meter or 2 when I released a long blast for maximum shock effect. So far works everytime.

About the air bottle, it is a necessary part of the whole airhorn system. It is where the pressurized air is stored. When the trigger is pressed, the pressurized air from the bottle is released thru the horn and thus producing the loud sound. Without the bottle, there is nothing to drive the airhorn. Refilling the air reservoir is thrue a valve under the trigger mechanism. It is the same type of valve as the car tire valve so refilling could be done using a tire air pump. No need to do anything to the bottle once it is mounted onto the bike.

iceboy1183

Banned
Reaction score
Got see my post?? My choice is inclined towards Xtrada. 8-speed, not too bad parts. Think its the most value-for-$ :)

yeah.. xtrada's not bad.. astroz in my opinion.. if you're rich then buy that.. cos the shocks.. are REALLY soft...suicide if you use it for jumps and stuff... even go down kerb might be dangerous if the kerb a little high.. most people i see with astroz(excluding the uncles at coffeeshops) they change their shocks to something else.. which would cost about 100$/++

well.. mine got stolen.. so am using hasa now :s13:

Bodyslam

Reaction score
yeah.. xtrada's not bad.. astroz in my opinion.. if you're rich then buy that.. cos the shocks.. are REALLY soft...suicide if you use it for jumps and stuff... even go down kerb might be dangerous if the kerb a little high.. most people i see with astroz(excluding the uncles at coffeeshops) they change their shocks to something else.. which would cost about 100$/++

well.. mine got stolen.. so am using hasa now :s13:

Stolen? tats like quite common..btw wat type of lock is the best? Seems like those big and thick metal chains like can easily cut also..:(

Is the Xtrada's shocks also soft? Thinking whether the Wheeler Pro19 2009 or Merida 40V will be better, but surely more ex.. :o

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
Stolen? tats like quite common..btw wat type of lock is the best? Seems like those big and thick metal chains like can easily cut also..:(

Is the Xtrada's shocks also soft? Thinking whether the Wheeler Pro19 2009 or Merida 40V will be better, but surely more ex.. :o

Get those high grad stainless steel chain or U-lock. The heavier the better. All can be saw but good lock will take theives long time to saw it off and if u park at crowded location. They will hesitate to strike yr bike. If u use lock, pls use temble lock which is very hard to lock pick. Spring lock will be easier to lock pick.

WuSangui

Master Member
Reaction score
hello peop. do you guy buy any air horns or bells on your bike?

sometimes road traffic so heavy. hard to cycle, cycle on pavement also cannot cycle fast...... cycle on road. the bus keep blocking my way also, sometimes constructionwork a bit dangerous to ride on road.

so do you guys install those air horns to notify cars on road that u are approaching ?

i read about the airzound airhorn but that comes witha little weird bottle. i know that u nid to refill the air if u run out of it... but necessary to mount the bottle? or just pump air when u run out of air like ur tyres? if nid to mount the bottle to use the airhorn.. i thinking of perhaps getting a bell or nothing at all.

hope someone can shed some light on this~

U honk them also useless. They will heck care u one. Most important is defensive riding, anticipate their move and situation awareness when riding in heavy traffic.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.