IKOMA Japanese classes

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
WOW! Ah Keong :D you spend alot of time studying japanese! XD
Hmm... o_O just wondering, why are you taking Intermediate and Basic at the same time?

no lah, i very lazy 1....

i study JCS intermediate for JLPT3 ...

i study IKOMA Basic for revision purposes for JLPT4 as i 2008 never touch Jap, see IKOMA style of teaching, make more friends and accompany my friend to learn Jap as i am sponsored... :D

King Pikachu

Reaction score
hey I am new in learning japanese...so u prefer ikoma or jcs teaching style?...what is the difference...maybe u give all of us an insight about their teaching style?

zeroxmxi

Reaction score

Is dimitri_can a member of this meetup?

Recently I stumbled upon this social networking site meetup.com. For starters, I began to add anything and everything that falls under my interest, and soon enough I realized, I have too many. :p

Then I noticed this Japanese meetup. Looks interesting though. The regular meet up for food seems tempting, :p~~~

Regards.

Adventia

Reaction score
Is dimitri_can a member of this meetup?

Recently I stumbled upon this social networking site meetup.com. For starters, I began to add anything and everything that falls under my interest, and soon enough I realized, I have too many. :p

Then I noticed this Japanese meetup. Looks interesting though. The regular meet up for food seems tempting, :p~~~

Regards.

It is interesting...lolz...I have yet been to one of the food meet up though.
Their next food meetup seems interesting and delicious to me though.Lolz...

Last edited:

zeroxmxi

Reaction score
Cool, maybe I ought to turn up when time permits. :p

Love Japanese food. :p
すしや、さしみや、焼き物が全部大好きです。いただきます!

Regards.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey I am new in learning japanese...so u prefer ikoma or jcs teaching style?...what is the difference...maybe u give all of us an insight about their teaching style?

I've studied at JCS Japanese Language School Intensive Elementary in 2007 and self studied and sit for the test in 2007 and currently studying JCS Japanese Language School Intermediate and IKOMA Language School Basic II.

JCS
- Cheap
- Big class = know more friends
- Focus on written skills sucn as vocab and grammer
- Pretty senseis

There is this Takamatsu sensei from hokkaido. She is pretty, friendly and speak good english so u wont be afraid if u are not good in Japanese. If u speak in Japanese, she will show u power by speaking in her ‘normal’ speed that even students in advance class (JLPT2) has problems listening.

Quite dry from the observation I saw off many faces, the homework answers are discussed in classes and they don mark the homework. So I have to ask the sensei myself after class to see my answers is it suitable, when is it suitable, why is it not suitable, etc…

IKOMA
- Expensive (around $1K per level)
- Small class (8-18)
- Balanced approach on all aspects of Japanese Language (Written, Listening, Conversational)
- Professional senseis and solid notes

The class is fun and interesting. There are roleplay (1 act as PersonA, 1 act as PersonB) to brush up your Japanese conversational skills as well. Great way to know more friends. If ur class are odd no. people class like me, prepared to partner the sensei like me. So quite stress as my japanese conversation skills quite lousy…. And the ppl I come across are very interested learners… (well it cost $1K leh)

The notes prepared are superb, and they take time to mark ur homework. My sensei will write her comments against my answers and advice should my answer differ from the model answers. Very patient and professional and take time to answer ur questions. You can chat with Native Japanese there if u are friendly enough

As recession is coming, if u are not so interested in Japanese Language and wanna see how is it like, I would recommend JCS…

If u are very interested in Japanese Language unlike me who is sponsored by my friend to accompany the course of study. Choose IKOMA…. Their JLPT classes and notes are super solid from what I see….

Regards
:D

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Cool, maybe I ought to turn up when time permits. :p

Love Japanese food. :p
すしや、さしみや、焼き物が全部大好きです。いただきます!

Regards.

yeah yeah!!!

I love Japanese Food!!! Yummy!!!!

King Pikachu

Reaction score
hey thanks for the insight...so ur class for jcs is big, so roughly hw many ppl in there?...will the ppl in jcs lack in conversation skills as compared in ikoma but more power than ppl in ikoma in terms of writing skills?

Adventia

Reaction score
I wont say ikoma students would be lacking in any factor.
Their lessons are well structured and balanced in the various fields.

I am taking their pre-advance course and it is well-balanced.

King Pikachu

Reaction score
Since i am new in learning japanese... i hoping to have a good start so in terms of basic classes, ikoma a more balanced in teaching conversation and writing as compared to jcs?...so will being a jcs student conversation skills will be lacking and writing skills super power.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
hey thanks for the insight...so ur class for jcs is big, so roughly hw many ppl in there?...will the ppl in jcs lack in conversation skills as compared in ikoma but more power than ppl in ikoma in terms of writing skills?

my intermediate class now got like 30 plus plus plus.....

nope... so far i haven see IKOMA students lacking in any factor...

as for who is more power then the other depend on oneself...

for example, i have a JCS friend whose conversation skills is very good... and we always chat in jap on the train... shiok sia.....

while i had another IKOMA friend whose theory skills is superb.... so i aways learn from both...

from here, its depends on the person learning... so for basic learning person, i would recommend IKOMA!!! :D

Last edited:

tmxistz

Reaction score
はじめまして、僕もイコマの学生です。今はアドヴァンス1です。去年はプリーアドヴァンスとjlpt2のクラスを受けました。今はjlpt2の成績を待っています。でもまだまだだと思います。

anyone taught by Naito sensei?

べシックの時は内籐先生の学生でした。君も内藤先生の学生ですか。

hi i'm also studying in ikoma currently a advance 1 student. studied under naito sensei, yamane sensei, kanai sensei, iwata sensei and nishio sensei before. started off as basic full time before i had to break for army. then studied a bit on my own and jump to intermediate 3 i think then took the jlpt3 prep course. did pre advance and jlpt2 prep course concurrently last year. now taking advance 1 and waiting for results of jlpt2. i think that ikoma is really good for students who don't really copy notes in class :s13: their notes are a plenty and very informative. teachers are good and classes are usually oriented for conservations i feel. maybe more so for the first few levels but now that i'm in advance the writing and reading part starts to kick in. i also have a friend who was studying in jcs so i think that between the 2, jcs would be good for people who want to pick up jap for serious usage like business or people who want to live there. ikoma in a sense seems to be very layed back which is good for leisure learners of all levels. their prep course is power, you can go prep course for 4 without doing basic to do jlpt4 and if you get the cert can just do the 3 prep course and so on. but that is if you really study the notes throughly cause its after all a years syllabus into a few weeks for 3 a year for 2 and 10months for 1. i hope that there was an examination process also to progress between levels cause i seriously think even though i'm in advance now, my jap isn't very good but that maybe just me being lazy and i know many people will kill me if there are exams in place. :s13:

just my 2 cents

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
はじめまして、僕もイコマの学生です。今はアドヴァンス1です。去年はプリーアドヴァンスとjlpt2のクラスを受けました。今はjlpt2の成績を待っています。でもまだまだだと思います。

べシックの時は内籐先生の学生でした。君も内藤先生の学生ですか。

hi i'm also studying in ikoma currently a advance 1 student. studied under naito sensei, yamane sensei, kanai sensei, iwata sensei and nishio sensei before. started off as basic full time before i had to break for army. then studied a bit on my own and jump to intermediate 3 i think then took the jlpt3 prep course. did pre advance and jlpt2 prep course concurrently last year. now taking advance 1 and waiting for results of jlpt2. i think that ikoma is really good for students who don't really copy notes in class :s13: their notes are a plenty and very informative. teachers are good and classes are usually oriented for conservations i feel. maybe more so for the first few levels but now that i'm in advance the writing and reading part starts to kick in. i also have a friend who was studying in jcs so i think that between the 2, jcs would be good for people who want to pick up jap for serious usage like business or people who want to live there. ikoma in a sense seems to be very layed back which is good for leisure learners of all levels. their prep course is power, you can go prep course for 4 without doing basic to do jlpt4 and if you get the cert can just do the 3 prep course and so on. but that is if you really study the notes throughly cause its after all a years syllabus into a few weeks for 3 a year for 2 and 10months for 1. i hope that there was an examination process also to progress between levels cause i seriously think even though i'm in advance now, my jap isn't very good but that maybe just me being lazy and i know many people will kill me if there are exams in place. :s13:

just my 2 cents

thanks for the advice!!! :D

JCS jap is more formal while IKOMA jap is more casual.... :D

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Maybe i also give my thoughts for those who are keened or interested in JLPT2 prep.

1)Don't think anymore.If you want,join now.Cuz the work is piling up,if you delay some more you might not be able to catchup.

2)If you are unsure,i would agree you talk with kanai sensei first if you are interested in her speed.Maybe you can request for her to give you an example of how she explains grammar points in class.From there you more or less know whether you can or cannot catch.

3)For people who took JLPT 3 and are hanging.(like me,>.<)If you can catch what she is explaining then it should be ok to take the prep class.But,like what she had said and the very cliched truth,bad foundations make wobbly structures is gonna apply.If you are gonna take,please revise and fortify your JLPT 3 stuff.Cuz JLPT 2 stuff is built heavily on it.Unless you telling me you want to hang your 2kyuu also.

4)Denshi Jisho is recommended at this point of time.Sensei did her promotion work for Ikoma last lesson...lolz...too bad i got it le

5)Dedication,commitment and motivation.Dont have dont take,else waste money.really.lolz.

great advice.....

especially point 5.... :D

hpoirot

Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread.

I'm currently at Intermediate 2 at Ikoma, and am considering my options for next year, after JLPT3. Should I continue with Pre-Advanced or go for the JLPT Prep Course? Since JLPT will be revamped next year, with the new levels, I guess I'll be taking N3.

Any current students who have attended the Pre-Advanced &/or JLPT Prep course? How are they different from each other?

Is the Pre-Advanced course similar to the way the Intermediate courses are conducted?

dimitri_can

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I took the JLPT 2 Prep Course. Quite good. Pre-Advanced is conversation-oriented... A bit waste of time as some of the stuff you can study your own...

Pre-Advanced class is quite slow. If you are thinking of studying slowly, enjoying the language, i recommend Pre-Advanced classes.

Ah_keong

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Resurrecting an old thread.

I'm currently at Intermediate 2 at Ikoma, and am considering my options for next year, after JLPT3. Should I continue with Pre-Advanced or go for the JLPT Prep Course? Since JLPT will be revamped next year, with the new levels, I guess I'll be taking N3.

Any current students who have attended the Pre-Advanced &/or JLPT Prep course? How are they different from each other?

Is the Pre-Advanced course similar to the way the Intermediate courses are conducted?

how do you grade your own conversational skills?
if u think u need conversation improvement, then pre-advanced is for you... but as u know from your classes, IKOMA is costly... so think about it yah...

I think maybe next year they may introduce a N3 Prep course.... :D

how u resurrect the thread ah? i was finding the JCS thread and i couldn't find it...

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.