Things you need to know about car insurance

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
3) Job occupation (Indoor/Outdoor) This refers to the nature of work, like desk bound or sales

Indoor - cheaper
Outdoor - more expensive
So far, I have only heard of a company that charge the same rate for indoor and outdoor occupation as of Oct 2008. It's Mitsui Sumitomo.

Do note that MSI and MSIG are 2 different companies even though both have "Mitsui Sumitomo" in the name. How the both are linked, I have no clue.

6) Safe Driver Discount This is an additional 5% discount if you do not have any traffic offense or demerit point for the past 2 years. You only get this additional 5% when you have minimum 30% NCB.

For example, your car insurance cost $2000 (before NCB) and you have 30% NCB and safe driver discount, you premium would be $1391 {[2000 - (2000 * 35)] * 1.07} with GST.
p

I think this one should be $1,423. Do correct me if i'm wrong. +-$5 due to rounding.

$2000
0.7 * (30% NCD)
---------
$1400
0.95 * (5% SDD/OFD)
---------
$1330
1.07 * (7% GST)
---------
$1423.10 premium payable

NTUC does not offer SDD/OFD.

Last edited:

Beta_Tester

Honorary Member
Deluxe Member
Reaction score
Will getting an OPC lower insurance Premium?

"Since OPC wont be on the road as much as normal plates car"

compro_1975

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
who can we approach to buy the policy and also where can we compair the prices from different vendors?

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
who can we approach to buy the policy and also where can we compair the prices from different vendors?

You can approach brokers. There're some online car insurance portals, i think. They'd need some personal information from you to generate quotations.

Or you can call up the insurers directly to get quotes, if you prefer to do your own comparison.

Will getting an OPC lower insurance Premium?

"Since OPC wont be on the road as much as normal plates car"

Some companies do offer discounts on OPC. Not all.

arianwen

Reaction score
If i am not wrong, the insurance will sell you third party insurance as long as you wish to do so. It does not matter to them if your car is paid up or not.

Hoever, it does matter to the bank / finance company. It is usually the finance company that wants to get a comprehensive coverage. I have yet to come across one finance company that dun need comprehensive coverage. If you know of any, pls let me know. Thinking of changing car le :p

i don't think anyone will also wanna take a risk.. imagine u buy a new car, u take only 3rd party cover.. then got stolen.. then good luck to you.. no car to drive, still have to service car loan for 10 years :s22:

xenocide

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Does NCB "expire"
i got 40% with NTUC 3yrs back when i was still driving
haven't been driving but now thinking of buying car again...

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
Yes, 2 years from last recorded date of policy expiry.
But can always call up the insurer to make exceptions, subject to low possibility of approval.

sparewb

Reaction score
Hi ,

I got a quote from DBS (think the insurer is Aviva). It quoted me at $1600+ while other insurers were quoting me at $2000+.

Has anybody insured with aviva before and what is the experience. Why are they much cheaper than AIG/HSBC/NTUC etc?

Finally, I had a small accident in Jan 09(400+ claim). Trying to do third party claim but have to repair under own insurance first. Will there be any draw backs if I try to switch insurer before this claim is settled?
Thanks.

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
Hi ,

I got a quote from DBS (think the insurer is Aviva). It quoted me at $1600+ while other insurers were quoting me at $2000+.

Has anybody insured with aviva before and what is the experience. Why are they much cheaper than AIG/HSBC/NTUC etc?

Finally, I had a small accident in Jan 09(400+ claim). Trying to do third party claim but have to repair under own insurance first. Will there be any draw backs if I try to switch insurer before this claim is settled?
Thanks.

You trying to claim 3rd party for $400+ repair works? You're joking?
Did you consult anyone about your case?
But seriously, such situation should just settle privately and finish with it, close the case. By filing claims for such paltry sum, you'll be dragging the story forever between the 2 insurers.
The legal expenses alone is more than that.

What is your car's insurance excess amount, above or below this $400+ pending claim?
Either amount, it doesn't justify your wanting to claim 3rd party.
Even if you claim for 1st party, the insurer will decline your claim if your policy excess is more than this $400+ claim amount.

You might want to clarify my guesses and set the facts straight on the accident circumstances, repairs to be done, and if you have the option to settle privately.

Did you declare this accident to your current insurer? and to DBS (Aviva)?
Because it will go either way:

1. Current insurer. If you did not report the accident, and you do claim the $400+ repair work, the insurer can choose not to honour the claim in accordance to contractual agreement (failure to report to workshop for accident within 24 hours), they can choose to prejudice your claim and deduct your NCD. Read your policy contract.

2. DBS (Aviva). If you did not declare to them your pending intention to claim for accident repairs, and they later find out about it, they can choose to void your contract on the basis of non-disclosure of facts.

For a new quote of $1.6K vs other quotes of more than $2K, its a good buy, but insurance policies (and their benefits) cannot be compared simply on premium alone.
Each policy contract should be placed next to one another for accurate comparisons.

It would take many more forumers to give feedback on your concerns.

Last edited:

sparewb

Reaction score
You trying to claim 3rd party for $400+ repair works? You're joking?
Did you consult anyone about your case?
But seriously, such situation should just settle privately and finish with it, close the case. By filing claims for such paltry sum, you'll be dragging the story forever between the 2 insurers.
The legal expenses alone is more than that.

What is your car's insurance excess amount, above or below this $400+ pending claim?
Either amount, it doesn't justify your wanting to claim 3rd party.
Even if you claim for 1st party, the insurer will decline your claim if your policy excess is more than this $400+ claim amount.

You might want to clarify my guesses and set the facts straight on the accident circumstances, repairs to be done, and if you have the option to settle privately.

Did you declare this accident to your current insurer? and to DBS (Aviva)?
Because it will go either way:

1. Current insurer. If you did not report the accident, and you do claim the $400+ repair work, the insurer can choose not to honour the claim in accordance to contractual agreement (failure to report to workshop for accident within 24 hours), they can choose to prejudice your claim and deduct your NCD. Read your policy contract.

2. DBS (Aviva). If you did not declare to them your pending intention to claim for accident repairs, and they later find out about it, they can choose to void your contract on the basis of non-disclosure of facts.

For a new quote of $1.6K vs other quotes of more than $2K, its a good buy, but insurance policies (and their benefits) cannot be compared simply on premium alone.
Each policy contract should be placed next to one another for accurate comparisons.

It would take many more forumers to give feedback on your concerns.

Actually my own repairs came up to 1000+ and what I mentioned was the amount less the excess that I was supposed to be paying.
Also the accident was a 50-50 case with a Taxi who was trying to claim repairs , loss of income etc from me.
So thought it would be much easier to file claims with our insurer and try do a third party claim esp since I have no NCD.

Actually, would like find out more on the Aviva contract and any personal experience esp since it is much cheaper than the others.

X66

Reaction score
Do note that MSI and MSIG are 2 different companies even though both have "Mitsui Sumitomo" in the name. How the both are linked, I have no clue.

I think this one should be $1,423. Do correct me if i'm wrong. +-$5 due to rounding.

$2000
0.7 * (30% NCD)
---------
$1400
0.95 * (5% SDD/OFD)
---------
$1330
1.07 * (7% GST)
---------
$1423.10 premium payable

NTUC does not offer SDD/OFD.

Thanks, for the correction for the 5% COM! Corrected the 1st post

Any feedbacks on AXA motor insurance? When claiming any difficulties?

Seriously I heard both good and bad stories. Maybe someone shd start a new thread to share their car insurance claim?

astroboiz

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the insurance coverage in M'sia? Like u are involved in an accidents or car get stolen. Is there authorised repair workshop, or must be towed back to S'pore?

Thanks!

xiaoyuji

Master Member
Reaction score
anyone familiar wif insurance calculation?

say i buying honda fit 1.3 gf
driving exp 3yr
age 22

how much isit gonna cost?

compared to use dad's name to buy
he 50+

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
Does anyone know about the insurance coverage in M'sia? Like u are involved in an accidents or car get stolen. Is there authorised repair workshop, or must be towed back to S'pore?

Thanks!

I presume you're referring to getting involved in an accident in Malaysia.

The golden rule is "DON'T BE INVOLVED IN AN ACCIDENT IN MALAYSIA".
It can be a frustrating and nervous experience.

There is no SGP policy with M'sian authorised workshops.
(Or maybe there is that I don't know about)

If you repair the car there, you can't claim your SGP insurance policy.
If you want to claim the other car (asusming it's M'sian), it either will take ages or will not be successful after many calls and letters and demands.

If it is a minor accident with minor damage, collect cash. If don't know how to estimate, call your SGP friends for estimate, or your workshop.
Too bad if collect too little or too much.

If drive to Malaysia, it'll be good to be a member of AAS. Then AAS can liaise with AAM to tow your car to the Causeway, and AAS can take over and tow to your insurer's authorised workshop.

If your car is stolen, the next best thing is to report to M'sian police, and hope they can find the car.
Come back to SGP, report to your insurer and hope they expedite on the investigations and eventually compensate the market value of your car.

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
anyone familiar wif insurance calculation?

say i buying honda fit 1.3 gf
driving exp 3yr
age 22

how much isit gonna cost?

compared to use dad's name to buy
he 50+

I suggest it will be easier if you take some time, search out all the insurer's websites, write to their motor insurance dept., give them your profiles, and get quotes from them.
I've done it before, most of them is cut-and-paste my profile info, and send out.
Within 4 work days, most will reply with quotes.
Then, call to clarify somepoints.

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.