[Guide] Applying thermal paste on Core i7, Core2Duo & Core2Quad and installing a 3rd party Heatisink

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
[Guide] Applying thermal paste on Core i7, Core2Duo & Core2Quad and installing a 3rd party Heatisink

Three Step Guide to better Thermal Conductivity

IT is important understand that the layout of the cores for Core2Duo and Core2Quads are different, hence they necessitate different ways of applying thermal paste.

For this guide, I recommend thermal pastes that are packaged in the form of a syringe.
HEATARCPASTE30TN.jpg

Examples include:- AC MX-2, Tuniq TX-2, etc...

[Step #1 - Thermal paste application on 3rd party H.D.T Direct-touch Heatsink]
* if your heatsink is the standard flat base-plate model, then skip this Step and proceed to Step 2.

hsfvf4.jpg

Directions:-
1. Shown above is an example of the base of a standard 3-heatpipe H.D.T design Heatsink (Xigmatek 1283). (yours might have 4 exposed pipes, etc..)
2. Apply thermal paste by gently injecting the syringe along the grooves in between the copper and aluminium parts. (not the 4 yellow dots but the 4 strips of grooves in between the exposed copper!)
3. Use a flexible card (name card, playing cards, etc) to spread of the paste evenly and ensure the grooves in between are filled properly.
4. Clean off the excess paste on the exposed copper areas and it should resemble the picture above.
5. I would personally put 4 THIN-LAYERED drops at the yellow spots as shown above, to ensure corner coverage after the heatsink is mounted.

Rationale:-
- This step has to be used in combination with Step 2 below, where Thermal Paste is also applied directly to processor's heatspreader.

- Filling in the grooves will allow the Thermal Paste that has been applied on the processor's heatspreader to spread out to the edges of the processor after the Heatsink is mounted.

- If Step 1 is not performed for a H.D.T design Heatsink (leaving the grooves empty) and the Thermal paste is applied only on the processor, more paste will get stuck in the grooves after the H.D.T Heatsink is mounted, impeding the flow of the paste to the edges of the processor.

--------------------------------------------------------

[Step #2 - Thermal paste application on Processor Heatspreader]
* identify the correct direction via the triangular-marking in the corner.

Core2Quad and Core2Duo:
thermalapasters2.jpg

Core i7:

corei7sd9.jpg

Directions:-
1. Apply a strip/layer of medium-thickness Thermal Paste as shown above for the respective model of your processor.

Rationale:-
- Applying Thermal Paste in this manner ensures that the paste will spread properly over the cores under the Heatspreader with maximum contact.

- DO NOT SPREAD THE THERMAL PASTE FLAT/EVENLY OVER THE PROCESSOR. If you have a Heatsink with an uneven base or with grooves such as the H.D.T model above, spreading the thermal paste flat/evenly over the processor might leave spaces in between the uneven surface/grooves of the Heatsink and the Processor's Heatspreader when mounted.

- Applying Thermal Paste as shown above will ensure that the paste will flow into the uneven spaces or grooves, in order to provide a medium for thermal conductivity between the Heatsink and Heatspreader over the CPU's cores.

--------------------------------------------------------

[Step #3 - Mounting direction of a H.D.T Heatsink]

dscf1184us4.jpg
picture008qm4eh5.jpg

Common Dilemma:
Many Heatsinks can either be mounted Vertically or Horizontally.
A common question asked is, "What direction should the Heatinksink be mounted?"

Type of Heatsink:
1. Standard flat base-plate Heatsinks
- Regardless of the CPU Model, if you are using a flat base-plate Heatsink it is recommended to mount your heatsink Vertically, facing the rear exhaust.

2. H.D.T exposed Direct Touch Heatsinks
- The mounting direction for H.D.T Heatsinks depends on the CPU Model.
- If it is a Core2Quad, the Heatsink should be mounted Vertically as this will enable the exposed heatpipe strip in the middle to be in complete contact over the cores in the Processor.
- If it is a Core2Duo or Core i7, it should be ideally mounted Horizontally due to the layout of the cores in the processor.

[End of Guide] - Happy mounting and getting your hands dirty! :D

Last edited:

adrianlee

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
How TIM Works & How To Apply It Correctly
A desktop CPU gives off a ridiculous amount of heat - up to 130W - in a small and very concentrated area, which is why we use a cooler to dissipate heat inside the case. The problem is that the cooler removes that heat via conduction.

Easy, you might think; stick the smooth surface of the CPU against the smooth base of the heatsink, and you're away. However, even though both surfaces appear smooth, a microscope would reveal a hideous terrain of pits, grooves and undulations.

Where these abrasions occur, the two surfaces aren't making full contact with one another and therefore leave a pocket of air between them. As air is a poor conductor of heat, the effective contact area is reduced and these pockets of air are enough to prevent your cooler from working efficiently. TIM fills these tiny gaps to improve heat transfer.
Source: Bit-tech

YoriToshi

Reaction score
Do the standard heatsinks + fans provide sufficient cooling?

Cos when i touch my heatsink.. like not much heat leh :s13:

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Do the standard heatsinks + fans provide sufficient cooling?

Cos when i touch my heatsink.. like not much heat leh :s13:
yes they do, that's why they r sold together with retail processors!

however if you overclock (especially if it involves voltage increases), you should get a 3rd-party heatsink that generally also provides a better fan if its included

YoriToshi

Reaction score
yes they do, that's why they r sold together with retail processors!

however if you overclock (especially if it involves voltage increases), you should get a 3rd-party heatsink that generally also provides a better fan if its included

:D thanks for answering

im not trying to hijack... but my 8800gt by leadtek has a puny fan... think its good enough?

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
:D thanks for answering

im not trying to hijack... but my 8800gt by leadtek has a puny fan... think its good enough?
yes it is good enough, you should worry only when artifacts begin to appear when u run 3D games or applications and your entire system hangs or crashes

FattyTW

Master Member
Reaction score
thanks, this is a great guide to me, i am using Xigmatek, keke! anyway dual core also refers to core 2 duo right?

YoriToshi

Reaction score
yes it is good enough, you should worry only when artifacts begin to appear when u run 3D games or applications and your entire system hangs or crashes

artifacts appear?

and yes my computer has "frozen" up a LOT of time already. mouse non-responsive, keys dont work, sound jams up.. needs a push of the reset button :( and after that my motherboard will beep 1 long3short.. which means no vga detected :(:(

ac3knight

Supremacy Member
Reaction score

zhehao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
If i were to use the v8 stock coolermaster paste vs the mx-2,the difference very big anot ar?

zhehao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hmm....

Like that considered worth or not.:X

13bucks for mx-2 leh:X

zhehao

Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I have to remove my mobo cause i tomorrow buying coolermaster v8 also mah.:X

Salapi

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
great guide. but then when i go AC MX-2 website. they told me is not like that install de. .__. they say must put like 1 pile of **** size onto the CPU and then tata put the cooler onto it. then twist twist twist.

both ways also can ?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.