Things you need to know about car insurance

SG_GAMER

Reaction score
Hi Bro and sis,

I would like to ask a few question. Some day ago, a friend of mine aged 21(P-plate) got into an accident while driving his dad car. His car(car A) was driving on the Lane 1 of the road, while Car B driving on Lane 2 which is 80m in front of Car A. There is a right turn 100m ahead of Car B. Car B intended for that right turn, with the signal light on, he changed lane and by the time he completed the lane change, the right turn was about there and he turn right, at this moment Car A bang onto Car B. May i know who fault is this? I personally think that is Car A's fault as Car B have given the intention to change lane which is allocated for the right turn and Car A didnt slow down.

The doubts i have now are :

1. Whose fault in this accident?
2. If report to insurance, who have a higher chances of winning?
3. If Car A won, what will happen to Car B?
4. If Car B won, what will happen to Car A?
5. As i mention earlier on, my frix was driving his dad car, so is he cover under the car insurance?
6. Will Car A car insurance fee be affected in future?

Just to add on, the accident happend on last Sunday, and they have not report to their insurance agent, any draw back on this?
Thanks for all suggestion and comments.

Last edited:

KeijiGenesis

Reaction score
Hi to all, just wanna ask how long does a third party claim takes? accident is 5yrs ago in 2004, insurance company had mail in yr 2007oct saying the claim will be forwarded.

Refugees

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got my license. Does it cost anything for my dad to put my name under his insurance for the car?

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
Hi to all, just wanna ask how long does a third party claim takes? accident is 5yrs ago in 2004, insurance company had mail in yr 2007oct saying the claim will be forwarded.

Which insurer is this?
What is the nature/circumstances of the accident?
Some can take a few weeks, some can take years, esp. if the insurers do not agree with the settlement amount.

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
Hi Bro and sis,

I would like to ask a few question. Some day ago, a friend of mine aged 21(P-plate) got into an accident while driving his dad car. His car(car A) was driving on the Lane 1 of the road, while Car B driving on Lane 2 which is 80m in front of Car A. There is a right turn 100m ahead of Car B. Car B intended for that right turn, with the signal light on, he changed lane and by the time he completed the lane change, the right turn was about there and he turn right, at this moment Car A bang onto Car B. May i know who fault is this? I personally think that is Car A's fault as Car B have given the intention to change lane which is allocated for the right turn and Car A didnt slow down.

The doubts i have now are :

1. Whose fault in this accident?
2. If report to insurance, who have a higher chances of winning?
3. If Car A won, what will happen to Car B?
4. If Car B won, what will happen to Car A?
5. As i mention earlier on, my frix was driving his dad car, so is he cover under the car insurance?
6. Will Car A car insurance fee be affected in future?

Just to add on, the accident happend on last Sunday, and they have not report to their insurance agent, any draw back on this?
Thanks for all suggestion and comments.

Why did your friend not give way to the car in front knowing well ahead in time that car wants to turn?
It's called road courtesy.

1. Defnitely Car A's fault, if Car A hit the back of Car B.

2. With photographic evidence, Car B is nailed.

3. Car B's insurance premium will increase (loading) at next renewal, NCD will be cut by 30%.

4. Car B would have to tell a lie in order to evade the punishment. But if there's photo evidence, the probability of Car B having the upper hand is slim.

5. Check with the father's insurance contract about named/un-named/authorised drivers.

6. Depends on how the claim is processed and how long is the settlement.
If Car A is claiming 3rd party directly (did not pay repairs out of own pocket) and is successful, then nothing will happen to Car A's insurance.
If Car A is claiming own insurance (1st party), and subsequently claims against 3rd party, and the case is pending, then Car A's insurance premium will increase (loading) at next renewal, NCD will be cut by 30%.
But these can be reversed if the 3rd party claim is successful, and Car A's accident liability is <20%.

Both have not reported the accident?
Then Car A's level of success in claiming 3rd party would have been reduced due to the non-conformity of the Motor Claims Framework. Likewise for Car B.
All vehicles involved in any accident, no matter how minor, must report to their insurer, within 24 hours of the accident, on the details/circumstances and have the cars' damages assessed/recorded.
Failure to do so can lead to prejudice on the claims from the insurers.

http://www.gia.org.sg/pdfs/Industry/Motor/Final Brochure_9 May 08.pdf

Last edited:

KeijiGenesis

Reaction score
the car was lend to me by a friend, and its a minor accident of reversing and bang onto another vehicle in a carpark,the opposite party had make a claimant from his insurance co, but my friend's insurance company letter indicate that my friend do not know me and was driving his vehicle without permission.I was like wth....thus they had forward the claim. i had call my friend's side insurance company to confirm they say either the opposite party insurance company can claim against me or they pay themselves...

the letter sent to me on 2007 oct was also cc to the other insurance company as well

Which insurer is this?
What is the nature/circumstances of the accident?
Some can take a few weeks, some can take years, esp. if the insurers do not agree with the settlement amount.

Last edited:

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
the car was lend to me by a friend, and its a minor accident of reversing and bang onto another vehicle in a carpark,the opposite party had make a claimant from his insurance co, but my friend's insurance company letter indicate that my friend do not know me and was driving his vehicle without permission.I was like wth....thus they had forward the claim. i had call my friend's side insurance company to confirm they say either the opposite party insurance company can claim against me or they pay themselves...

the letter sent to me on 2007 oct was also cc to the other insurance company as well

To me, it seems like both cars and their respective insurers have stopped pursuing this accident case.
Did your friend repair his car? Who paid for the repairs?

KeijiGenesis

Reaction score
i paid for my friend's repairs as it was very minor dent on bumper, the other party's car was only damage to his bumper and bonnet and yet he make a claim of 3.5k.....

To me, it seems like both cars and their respective insurers have stopped pursuing this accident case.
Did your friend repair his car? Who paid for the repairs?

X66

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got my license. Does it cost anything for my dad to put my name under his insurance for the car?

If your Dad put your name in his insurance policy, I assume he put you as his name driver. I will cost his insurance premium to go up (would say true to almost all insurance company in sg especially when you just got your liscence). The good thing of you being a name driver is that when you get into an accident (touch wood), your excess would be similar to your dad's excess.

If your dad do not put you as the name driver and you get into an accident while driving his car. The excess would easily be $2500 and above depending on the insurance company. So you weight the pro and cons and decide what you should.

My take is if you going to drive his car often, you should add your name into his motor policy.

X66

Reaction score
i paid for my friend's repairs as it was very minor dent on bumper, the other party's car was only damage to his bumper and bonnet and yet he make a claim of 3.5k.....

Depends on where the other party bring his car for "repair". Some workshop will change every damn thing that they can - even for the smallest dent. Saying for safety sake must change whatever. That's why only 3 out of 25 motor insurance companies do not make a LOSS last year. Find the business times article here

KeijiGenesis

Reaction score
ya he did, he bring his car to his "so call" workshop which change every damm thing. worse of all its a old nissan sunny.

Depends on where the other party bring his car for "repair". Some workshop will change every damn thing that they can - even for the smallest dent. Saying for safety sake must change whatever. That's why only 3 out of 25 motor insurance companies do not make a LOSS last year. Find the business times article here

Last edited:

leoteo81

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 27 years old and looking to buy my first car. I have more than 5 years driving experience. I'm currently looking to get either a new small car (eg. Hyundai Getz) or an old '92 Honda Civic.

Insurance wise, which is more expensive? The new Getz which is lower cc? or the old higher cc car? Can someone give me an estimated price range for basic insurance?

Also, you've been talking about 3rd party insurance, meaning i'll also be covered if someone else drives my car. So there's the other type of insurance that only covers the car owner? Is that significantly cheaper?

Hope u guys can help me out, blur sotong here. Thks!

CNGpicnic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm 27 years old and looking to buy my first car. I have more than 5 years driving experience. I'm currently looking to get either a new small car (eg. Hyundai Getz) or an old '92 Honda Civic.

Insurance wise, which is more expensive? The new Getz which is lower cc? or the old higher cc car? Can someone give me an estimated price range for basic insurance?

Also, you've been talking about 3rd party insurance, meaning i'll also be covered if someone else drives my car. So there's the other type of insurance that only covers the car owner? Is that significantly cheaper?

Hope u guys can help me out, blur sotong here. Thks!

No opinions about your first set of queries.

You might have got a misconception about 3rd party insurance coverage.

Car insurance involves 3 parties:
The owner/driver of the insured car/person (1st party),
The insurer (2nd party),
The other party involved in the accident, which can be a person or a vehicle (3rd party).

If you're the owner/insured of the car insurance, and you nominate another person to drive the car, that person is called the "authorised driver" and not "3rd party".

For some insurance policies, anyone you give permission to drive is considered an "authorised driver" and they will be covered by the policies.
For some other insurance policies, you must let the insurers know the names of the authorised drivers and only they are allowed to drive the car with insurance coverage.

There are 3 types of car insurance coverages available:
- Comprehensive,
- 3rd party, fire & theft,
- 3rd party only.

Comprehensive says it all, covers a lot of things, including own damage, loss of car due to fire hazard, theft of vehicle, and 3rd party liabilities (damage to 3rd party property and/or injuries inflicted during accident, etc.).
Premium is the highest of the 3 types.

3rd party, fire & theft only covers liabilities to 3rd party, fire hazard, and theft of vehicle. It does not cover expenses incurred for own damage.
Premium is lower than comprehensive cover.

3rd party only covers 3rd party liabilities. Nothing else.
Premium is very low for such coverage.

For most insurance companies, they will insist on comprehensive coverage if the car is less than 7 years old, and under hire purchase agreement (loan).

Techno Pride

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
just a slight correction. The insurer doesn't care if you buy 3rd party only for a new car. It's your financing compny that may or will make noise.

if you have loads of cash to pay off the loan after an own-damage total loss to the car or theft, by all means go ahead.

Last edited:

leoteo81

Reaction score
No opinions about your first set of queries.

You might have got a misconception about 3rd party insurance coverage.

Car insurance involves 3 parties:
The owner/driver of the insured car/person (1st party),
The insurer (2nd party),
The other party involved in the accident, which can be a person or a vehicle (3rd party).

If you're the owner/insured of the car insurance, and you nominate another person to drive the car, that person is called the "authorised driver" and not "3rd party".

For some insurance policies, anyone you give permission to drive is considered an "authorised driver" and they will be covered by the policies.
For some other insurance policies, you must let the insurers know the names of the authorised drivers and only they are allowed to drive the car with insurance coverage.

There are 3 types of car insurance coverages available:
- Comprehensive,
- 3rd party, fire & theft,
- 3rd party only.

Comprehensive says it all, covers a lot of things, including own damage, loss of car due to fire hazard, theft of vehicle, and 3rd party liabilities (damage to 3rd party property and/or injuries inflicted during accident, etc.).
Premium is the highest of the 3 types.

3rd party, fire & theft only covers liabilities to 3rd party, fire hazard, and theft of vehicle. It does not cover expenses incurred for own damage.
Premium is lower than comprehensive cover.

3rd party only covers 3rd party liabilities. Nothing else.
Premium is very low for such coverage.

For most insurance companies, they will insist on comprehensive coverage if the car is less than 7 years old, and under hire purchase agreement (loan).

thks so much for the help i can understand a lot better now! So for the same car, there is a huge difference in cost btw comprehensive and 3rd party only insurance? Anyone hav any rough figures just for comparison?

wu_isaac

Reaction score
I think buying 3rd party insurance only is very risky, you would have to pay for your own repairs... can cost quite a lot...

snakey256

Reaction score
i planning to buy honda civic esi 4M how much does it cost for my insurance? my age is 22. just got my licence 2 months back and i am a guy. my working place is indoor. please assist me thanks.

wu_isaac

Reaction score
try the online car insurance brokers. i'm not an insurance broker but can tell you it will be very high, like around $4000 at least. you might be declined by some insurance companies due to your age and driving experience.

X66

Reaction score
i planning to buy honda civic esi 4M how much does it cost for my insurance? my age is 22. just got my licence 2 months back and i am a guy. my working place is indoor. please assist me thanks.

Think the only one that's willing to quote you is NTUC. This is because you are a extremely young driver and with only 2 months of experience. Good luck and let us know how much is ur insurance =)

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.