Air conditioning - Any recommendations please??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pegASUS7677

Reaction score
i totally agree with that... popular doesn't necessary mean quality, it may or it may not. Sometimes it's just branding or advertising.

btw, how much did you pay for it? (sorry if you've already mentioned it)

and what insulation did they use? Armaflex? Thickness? 3/8", 1/2" or 3/4"

compressor BTU? and individual fan-coil BTU?

In total, it came up to $4.42K -- includes upgrade to 1/2" Armaflex and copper SYS 22, 16mm drainage pipe. Stainless steel bracket to replace the old one as the CU is a gnarly 60kg. Dismantling & trade in of old system.

5 times service contract and 5 year extended warranty.
FCU - BedRm 3x9K, LvgRm - 1x18K.
Not sure about the condenser unit though but Hitachi has only the RAM-72Q8 CU.

The Living Room FCU is not as whisper silent as the Bedroom units as it is more "powderful". :D Very low hum that is audible only when there is dead silence in my living room.

Last edited:

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
In total, it came up to $4.42K -- includes upgrade to 1/2" Armaflex and copper SYS 22, 16mm drainage pipe. Stainless steel bracket to replace the old one as the CU is a gnarly 60kg. Dismantling & trade in of old system.

5 times service contract and 5 year extended warranty.
FCU - BedRm 3x9K, LvgRm - 1x18K.
Not sure about the condenser unit though but Hitachi has only the RAM-72Q8 CU.

The Living Room FCU is not as whisper silent as the Bedroom units as it is more "powderful". :D Very low hum that is audible only when there is dead silence in my living room.

tks for the info... at least yours a 4-ticks (energy saving rating) system.

pegASUS7677

Reaction score
Interesting, I may have to decide between Hitachi and Panasonic. Reading back, people have been having problems with Sanyo units and their controller is huge. Will be interesting to see how my non-inverter LG compares to the Hitachi :) Probably get new units in a month.

Anyone use the Panasonics? Not much info on these units, but I keep hearing techs say it's easy to service, maybe because they aren't around? :)

I was faced with the same decision -- almost - Hitachi, Panasonic or Mitsubishi.

I like the cool blue light that emanates from the FCU but alas there is no SYS 4 for Panasonic. So left with Hitachi or Mitsubishi. Then Jack Neo's huge face was in my face at the Gain City showroom, so left with Hitachi. :s13:

BTW, Hitachi is assembled in Malaysia.

yhzhuo

Reaction score
hello... if i am a relatively light user (average only 1 aircon at any time switched on, approx 2 hours per day), and i wish to get a system 3, should i go for non-inverter or inverter?
any advice / recommendation?

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
hello... if i am a relatively light user (average only 1 aircon at any time switched on, approx 2 hours per day), and i wish to get a system 3, should i go for non-inverter or inverter?
any advice / recommendation?

hi, i was told previously that the benefits of inverter kicks in after prolonged use. Maybe you can 'google' it and read up a bit.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
my Fujitsu invertor system-4 just died on me... the monsterous 36k BTU compressor refuses to start... sigh! :s22:

only 4+ years of use... sianz... I'm thinking of replacing it liao :mad:

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
my Fujitsu invertor system-4 just died on me... the monsterous 36k BTU compressor refuses to start... sigh! :s22:

only 4+ years of use... sianz... I'm thinking of replacing it liao :mad:

My daikin lasted 8 years then the PCB capacitor burnt last mth. replaced with new Mitsubishi Inverter system 4 last wk. Everything is good hopefully. haaa...I'm heavy user tho....having 2 tenant...that use it as much as they can while at home daily it's by no choice Inverter the only option.

Last edited:

Shu

Reaction score
any advice / recommendation?[/QUOTE

Get a non-inverter. Inverter's only useful if you use the aircon >8 hrs a day, and have multiple units running.

Non-inverters do not necessarily consume a lot more energy either.

I have a Mitsubishi Electric System 2 non-inverter unit. Through a power consumption meter I installed, the 9000BTU unit consumes only 1.6KWH to cool a room for 8 hrs (overnight) at 27 degrees. That's about 30 cents.

So in a month, the bill's $9. Let's round it up to $10. In a year, your total bill will be $120.

Considering inverter units typically cost a few hundred dollars more, you'll have to wait for several years to earn the extra cost you paid up front back!

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
the Air-Con service-man came and checked... apparently my pipe thermistor is faulty. After changing it (S$80!), everything seems to be okay liao... hehe..

oh btw, Shu, if your air-con only consumes 1.6kWh per night (8 hrs), that's only 200W! Amazing! May i ask how much is your monthly PUB bill?

Shu

Reaction score
the Air-Con service-man came and checked... apparently my pipe thermistor is faulty. After changing it (S$80!), everything seems to be okay liao... hehe..

oh btw, Shu, if your air-con only consumes 1.6kWh per night (8 hrs), that's only 200W! Amazing! May i ask how much is your monthly PUB bill?

Ah you see I was surprised to find out it's consumption is that low. Turns out, the aircon isn't on throughout the night. Most of the power is consumed during the first hr as it cools the room down. Once the room's cool, it's just a matter of maintaining that temp. Do note that I set it at 26-27 degrees, which may be warm to some. Also, ambient temps are lower at night., which means u need less power to cool a room down.

I did another experiment in the afternoon. Observed usage for an hour at about 2pm and found the aircon consumed 0.8KWH in that 1 hour.

thesingingbard

Master Member
Reaction score
Ah you see I was surprised to find out it's consumption is that low. Turns out, the aircon isn't on throughout the night. Most of the power is consumed during the first hr as it cools the room down. Once the room's cool, it's just a matter of maintaining that temp. Do note that I set it at 26-27 degrees, which may be warm to some. Also, ambient temps are lower at night., which means u need less power to cool a room down.

I did another experiment in the afternoon. Observed usage for an hour at about 2pm and found the aircon consumed 0.8KWH in that 1 hour.

nevertheless, impressive still! even without the compressor unit turned on, the FCU also consumes substantial energy...

btw, what's your air-con brand? maybe it's time for me to change after-all! My Fujitsu is only 2 ticks... and I'm spending >$300 on PUB bills! Most of it is electricity! =:p

Shu

Reaction score
nevertheless, impressive still! even without the compressor unit turned on, the FCU also consumes substantial energy...

btw, what's your air-con brand? maybe it's time for me to change after-all! My Fujitsu is only 2 ticks... and I'm spending >$300 on PUB bills! Most of it is electricity! =:p

It's a Mitsubishi Electric, installed in June 2007. I believe it has 3 ticks. :)

Perhaps new aircons really don't consume all that much power, inverter or non-inverter. The figures don't lie!

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
I just installed my new aircon couple of weeks back...now neighbour complains that their room wall grows mold as one of my room is just besides their room. My tenant is using it and i have specifically instructed him to set it at 24degree temp if using. Somehow every morning, I walks past the corridor outside...can see his room window fulls of water condensation. My previous daikin nvr had this problem before. Now the new one seemed to be quite powerful.

sinner79

Reaction score
Hi guys, my friend received a call from someone who wishes to swap his FCUs sometime last week. he tried contacting the person many times but only ended up being put to mailbox. if u happen to be the one that called, pls kindly contact him again. thanks!

goondo

Reaction score
planning to get the Mitsubishi Starmex but was tempted by LG Artcool series, anybody has used Lg before? Appreciate some feedback

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
looks nice but LG the panel checked vibrates a lot due to it's design tho it looks cool.

whiteviper

Reaction score
Anybody knows how to justify the BTU required?

I am recommended by my air-con man that 18K BTU is sufficient for my living room but my neighbours are installing 24k and 26k.

So how do i know how much BTU i need to cool my living room?

Repsol_2

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
previously I was using 26BTU, now switched to 18BTU, so far so good. I guess the previous BTU is too big for the room. hahaz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.