EDMW Knife Collectors

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all that advice. Where can custom blades be obtained? How do I determine what steel is good and identify them?

Customs blades not cheap.. best to understand what knifes shape and steel you want first. Utility, survival or collection.. all these determine the thickness, edge, blade surface and design of the blade and the type of locking or fixed blade you require..

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yes. Different material, shapes, determine what the knife is best used for.

Take the Kukri for example. We all know that knife has got lotsa cutting power. The shape of the blade allows the tip to reach the target fast and the gravity will pull the knife downwards.

Spear point knives are used for piercing as you may have guess. The design allows it to optimize piercing power into soft targets. But it will not do well against armored targets (kevlar vest, for eg)

So, here comes what Tanto blade knives do best. Piercing into Kevlar vest is easier and less likely to break the tip of the knife. The thick tip of the blade will ensure that the knive goes in and out without breaking it's tip.

Blunted tips are usually used in E.R where medics wouln't want to pierce their target, but still gives them cutting power to cut through thick materials.

There are lotsa designs and you will need to understand in order to know what you are looking for.

For rough use, a 154 CM blade can do just fine. But an AUS 8 blade will do the same job, at a cheaper price.

so, to summarize:

1. Understand what you need the knife for.
2. Determine the most efficient design.
3. determine material best suited for it (Heavy use or light use)
4. Pay for it.
5. Enjoy :D

Hope this shed some light to you iParadigm

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Is leatherman C33x good or k501?

If I have to pic out of these 2 choices, I will take K501. It's look beefier, and easier to close the blade.

It's made from 154 CM. More Ergonomic Handle.

Anyway, I cannot tell you what is better, it's up to you to decide what is best for yourself. But pretty well round choices for your first EDC :D

iParadigm

Reaction score
If I have to pic out of these 2 choices, I will take K501. It's look beefier, and easier to close the blade.

It's made from 154 CM. More Ergonomic Handle.

Anyway, I cannot tell you what is better, it's up to you to decide what is best for yourself. But pretty well round choices for your first EDC :D

Thanks. :)

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Anyone knows where to get cutting and honing stones beside razorsharp? :s11: Need to re-profile my dx subcom replica after so much cutting and the sharpmaker isn't any good at that :(

Last edited:

zhiwei_86

Master Member
Reaction score
sku_7011_1_small.jpg

can buy and import to sg? is considered contraband? thanks :o

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
huh sharpmaker cannot sharpen then got what else to use? :p

sharpmaker is too slow.. plus I want to reprofile the blade angle a little bit to test. The fake subcom DX knife is stamp aus8 but I doubt it is.. it doesn't hold the edge long (run it through 2-3 cardboard and it's gone liao) but then it's also harder (than aus8) to sharpen.. so I want to reprofile it a little to use it for utility.. now the profile is too thin..

-hollowman-

High Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Yup.. can be bought at Sheares or online.. tanto is the blade style, but is an adapted style from Japanese tanto and NOT a Japanese tanto.. the blade material 154cm is from Crucible, a US Company. You can read more about benchmade's blade info here

Yes, but this blade is a reverse tanto blade version. Tanto, if I'm correct means short sword in nihon-go.

I have tested my Recon-1 slicing power against 950 Rift. The Verdict?

950 Rift is able to slice paper thinly due to it's blade thickness. Recon-1 is unable to do so due to it's steeper edge and thicker blade.

I would classify Recon-1 as a blade that do raw cutting. Cutting bigger and thicker stuff shouldn't be a problem with this blade.

950 Rift is a finer blade and can slice as thinly as you want. It's an EDC keepers.

thank you for the replies, i keep forgetting to check back at this thread. Yup, saving money now, but dunno whether worth buying it or not, cos there's not much use for it, to be honest :o

edit: if i want to get this model:

Benchmade 950 Rift, Black and Charcoal G10 Scales, BK Coated, Combo Edge
http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade950riftblackandcharcoalg10scalesbkcoatedcomboedge.aspx

would it be cheaper to get it online or from Sheares??

Last edited:

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have disappeared to seek the mystical arts of sharpening my own Rift 950... I couldn't say my knife is as sharp as before, but slicing papers is no problem. Though newspaper are abit hard to cut as Rift is abit thick at the primary bevel.

Ok.. there are also comestic scratches on the black paint work due to my first timer learning on how to sharpen knives. I have slightly reprofile the edge to 15 degrees, I think so the cutting edge is slimmer.

Any experienced pros can tell me where to get Japanese Water stones for sharpening?

Daimaru? Takshimaya?

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
sku_7011_1_small.jpg

can buy and import to sg? is considered contraband? thanks :o

From the picture provided, I can say "Yes, it should be able to pass custom".

Reasons: single sharpened edge. Manual opening of the blade, with liner lock.

Perhaps, you may wish to tell us the name and model of the knife?

KouAnKyuuKa

Arch-Supremacy Member
Reaction score
thank you for the replies, i keep forgetting to check back at this thread. Yup, saving money now, but dunno whether worth buying it or not, cos there's not much use for it, to be honest :o

edit: if i want to get this model:

Benchmade 950 Rift, Black and Charcoal G10 Scales, BK Coated, Combo Edge
http://www.knifeworks.com/benchmade950riftblackandcharcoalg10scalesbkcoatedcomboedge.aspx

would it be cheaper to get it online or from Sheares??
Bro,

Mine was the last piece from Sheares. Perhaps, you would like to get them to order for you. Stock should come in within a week. :)

viix

Master Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I have disappeared to seek the mystical arts of sharpening my own Rift 950... I couldn't say my knife is as sharp as before, but slicing papers is no problem. Though newspaper are abit hard to cut as Rift is abit thick at the primary bevel.

Ok.. there are also comestic scratches on the black paint work due to my first timer learning on how to sharpen knives. I have slightly reprofile the edge to 15 degrees, I think so the cutting edge is slimmer.

Any experienced pros can tell me where to get Japanese Water stones for sharpening?

Daimaru? Takshimaya?

Razorsharp.com.sg.. their outlet @ outram. Or try takashimaya. Cos daimaru is no longer around :o

zhiwei_86

Master Member
Reaction score
From the picture provided, I can say "Yes, it should be able to pass custom".

Reasons: single sharpened edge. Manual opening of the blade, with liner lock.

Perhaps, you may wish to tell us the name and model of the knife?

thanks for replying :) it is an UltraFire 707 Manual-Release Folding Knife, which i saw on dealextreme. am i right to say that those that will not pass customs are of double edged and spring release?

Important Forum Advisory Note
This forum is moderated by volunteer moderators who will react only to members' feedback on posts. Moderators are not employees or representatives of HWZ. Forum members and moderators are responsible for their own posts.

Please refer to our Community Guidelines and Standards, Terms of Service and Member T&Cs for more information.